What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 374.42_2 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

That stinks, I don not use the wireless anymore (I moved to ubnt). But I do understand. I think this was the latest last summer :-/

You should most likely be fine then if you don't use Wifi. Make sure you enter the OpenVPN page that contains your key/certs and re-save them however - the stored format was changed at some point. I don't remember which version brought that change.

Hello merlin,

Thanks for the .42 firmware but I am having issues with IPv6 on my comcast connection. I was using .42_3alpha just fine from Adamm's website address that uploads new firmware and IPv6 works fine on there. But in .42 my GUI is showing an IPv6 address numbers (wan and LAN) are there but on my computers/tablets etc it says NO IPv6 address is running. comcast6.net doesn't detect one, test-ipv6.com either.

Thanks for all you do, hope this info helps.

PS: Comcast IPv6 native (Indiana area)

edit: Forgot to mention using AC68R model.

The only code change between alpha3 and the release was to OpenVPN, there was zero change to the networking code itself.

https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/commits/master

Comcast's IPv6 is simply quirky. Try to power off your modem for 5-10 mins to fully reset your connection - there's a good chance it will work again after that.

Asus completely redesigned that page. Merging both code versions together would have caused too many issues, so for the time being I reverted all my own changes and used theirs. Once I know this part is stable, I will look at possibly re-adding the location selection code in.

OK, understood.
I am tempted to upgrade because of the various fixes that have been applied and will probably try and live with the new feature.

Thanks for your response and the hard work!

Edit: upgrade went smooth as silk..no factory reset needed...all good!

Edit2: minidlna is not running/advertising anything as it seems. none of my players sees anything, ASUS reports sate as idle but nothing in the logs.

Last edited:
Test your wireless, as this is what is usually showing problems after switching driver version like you did.

Test on the iPhone: 30 Mb up and down on the 2.4
Test on the laptop: 43 Mb down and 32 up on the 5
Both on the 1st floor 12 meters from the AP through a concrete floor :)

So that seems to be ok :)

OK, understood.
I am tempted to upgrade because of the various fixes that have been applied and will probably try and live with the new feature.

Thanks for your response and the hard work!

Edit: upgrade went smooth as silk..no factory reset needed...all good!

Edit2: minidlna is not running/advertising anything as it seems. none of my players sees anything, ASUS reports sate as idle but nothing in the logs.

One of the changes Asus did it you can now define multiple media directories to scan, and define the type of media these directories contain. Make sure you configure these on the new Media Server page.

One of the changes Asus did it you can now define multiple media directories to scan, and define the type of media these directories contain. Make sure you configure these on the new Media Server page.

...I did that, but my media resides on a NTFS USB diks with a label.
It gets mounted with a "(1)" appended to its label and I don't know how to get rid of it or fix it and this seems to be what minidlna makes refuse to start.

I have ntfslabel installed in a chroot environment
AFAIR there has been a post somewhere regarding that issue....
My other ext4 disk with a label mounts fine.

Edit: removed the label and the disk got mounted with mountpoint sdc1...minidlna is now scanning...I'll report back what this will reveal.
Edit2: OK, minidlna picked up the media and my devices can see it.
Edit3: FWiW...minidlna process now creates a folder named minidlna inside the share/folder where you point that service to, like /mnt/sdc1/music -> /mnt/sdc1/music/minidlna

Last edited:
The only code change between alpha3 and the release was to OpenVPN, there was zero change to the networking code itself.

https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/commits/master

Comcast's IPv6 is simply quirky. Try to power off your modem for 5-10 mins to fully reset your connection - there's a good chance it will work again after that.

Well doing the restart like you said I waited it out and nothing changed. So what I did is something that I hadn't reset in a while was on the modem's interface. I logged into 192.168.100.1 and went to configure and clicked Reset to all defaults (motorola surfboard model) I waited til all the lights lit back up and then reset my Router again and started to configure then finally got to IPv6 and was hoping it would work. After I typed in the IPv6 DNS and clicked apply; it went to Complete I restarted the Router then after 1 minute the page refreshed showed all the numbers and I typed in comcast6.net. Then it said Congrats on connecting to IPv6 over the Comcast Network.

Everything is now all smooth again!!

Thanks Merlin for your suggestion and continuing to make this firmware work for everyone. It's a great custom firmware for huge performance and nice features.

What happens if you leave 2.4 set to EU and change the 5GHz band only? You could get the best of both worlds

That did the trick. :D

Code:
ASUSWRT-Merlin RT-N66U_3.0.0.4 Fri May  9 21:15:50 UTC 2014
admin@RT-N66U:/tmp/home/root# nvram get pci/1/1/ccode
EU
admin@RT-N66U:/tmp/home/root# nvram get pci/2/1/ccode
NL
admin@RT-N66U:/tmp/home/root# nvram get wl0_country_code
EU
admin@RT-N66U:/tmp/home/root# nvram get wl1_country_code
NL
admin@RT-N66U:/tmp/home/root# nvram get regulation_domain
EU
admin@RT-N66U:/tmp/home/root# nvram get regulation_domain_5G
NL
admin@RT-N66U:/tmp/home/root#

Having same exact issue with WiFi as i did with firmware 374.5656.

2.4ghz wifi signal is erratic and is constantly changing, at the same time the link speed and transfer speed change as well parallel to each other.
This was observed on two laptops and on Android phone.

Thanks Broadcom.:rolleyes:

Merlin, I can confirm that Time Machine is still NOT WORKING. The same problem with 374.1. "The version of the server you are trying to connect to is not supported" :(

Merlin, I can confirm that Time Machine is still NOT WORKING. The same problem with 374.1. "The version of the server you are trying to connect to is not supported" :(

Well, nothing I can do about it, thanks to Apple's love of proprietary protocols that nothing but their own hardware uses/support.

Any reason the RT-AC66U 5517 havnt been merged

The reason i noticed was due to

wl0: Oct 25 2013 15:16:08 version 6.30.163.2002 (r382208)

wl0: Feb 12 2014 16:28:07 version 6.30.163.2002 (r382208)

i realise the version is numbered the same but it was compiled 4 months later
god knows if they have fixed anything..

A test with OpenVPN Server fails after the upgrade.
I checked, before I left, that the opneVPN server was marked as running...and the config looked the same, including certs, as with my .39_0 setup.

Now the ASUS endpoint is not responding when trying from the outside.
I am not using dyndns in my ASUS, as my ISP provides this feature internally.

..can I try to connect to the openVPN server from the inside in order to debug?
What do I need to configure in my client?

A test with OpenVPN Server fails after the upgrade.
I checked, before I left, that the opneVPN server was marked as running...and the config looked the same, including certs, as with my .39_0 setup.

Now the ASUS endpoint is not responding when trying from the outside.
I am not using dyndns in my ASUS, as my ISP provides this feature internally.

..can I try to connect to the openVPN server from the inside in order to debug?
What do I need to configure in my client?

OpenVPN works stable, connected from the office to my home network for hours.
Maybe you can post your client config file. (Remove certs/keys.)

Connecting from the inside didn't work properly for some reason.
This used to work fine.
I reported that issue here #54.

Hi.

I got issue with IPv6 on firmware .41 and .42 as well only f/w: 374.40 is fine for me.

I’m not v6 expert but maybe it’s something to do with DNS when I’m trying to put manually DSN like: 2a03:1280:0:30::a1
2a03:1280:0:30::b1 its not recognizing proper. Any way never put any DNS like that, always used auto DHCP-PD with DNS
as well.

RT-AC66U, setting of IPv6 on 374.40 working flawless:
IPv6 Connection Type: Native with DHCP-PD
WAN IPv6 Address: ****:1280:0:332::d8a1
WAN IPv6 Gateway: ****::200:cdff:fe29:9d73
LAN IPv6 Address: 2a03:1280:332f:ff00:62a4:****:****:****/64
LAN IPv6 Link-Local Address: fe80::62a4:4cff:fe9f:****/64
DHCP-PD: Enabled
LAN IPv6 Prefix: 2a03:1280:332f:****::/64
DNS Address: 2a03:1280:0:30::a1 2a03:1280:0:30::b1

I tried factory default restore ect, ect...

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
Well, nothing I can do about it, thanks to Apple's love of proprietary protocols that nothing but their own hardware uses/support.

same here. i am gonna need to revert back to .40 alpha4 which i've been extremely happy with anyway. I wonder if stock firmware has the same issue . Asus wouldnt let that problem persists i guess.

Well, this is weird. I did a reset last night because i started having drop outs with my wireless. I had everything up and running fine last night. I am at work right now and now I can not remotely log in, i can't access the VPN services that are running on the router or the ip cam thats hard wired. All my wireless cameras are working great. I tested all this from another wireless connection away from the house and now nothing .. :(

Im at a loss

Last edited:
OpenVPN works stable, connected from the office to my home network for hours.
Maybe you can post your client config file. (Remove certs/keys.)

Thanks for your reply.
Yes, I've seen your post...at least you could connect.
My setup was running for 85+ days on FW-v.39 as solid as a rock, including OpenVPN.
After the update, I checked that the certs were there, along with the VPN settings (did not do a factory reset...too lazy and too much hassle IMHO) and that the openVPN Server has been started.

My ASUS runs in a double NAT environment, behind my main-router.
DynDNS is provided by my ISP.
The main router forwards all ports (everything on IP) to the ASUS.
As said, this worked flawlessly for 3 months.
The main router cared-out the same IP to the WAN interface of the ASUS after the
upgrade, so I believe the forwarding rule in it still applies and is active.

EDIT:
OK, I talked my wife through the procedure and UI and what she did was stop/deactivate the server, re-apply the settings and started the server again.
I am able to login to the VPN from outside now...and tested with another client from the inside, which worked OK as well...weird thing, but I'll never change a running beta again ;-)

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!