What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 376.48 Beta 2 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Here's the output from fdisk -l

Code:
Disk /dev/sda: 63.2 GB, 63249055744 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 7689 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks  Id System
/dev/sda1               3        7690    61750272  83 Linux

That's odd. I'll see what happens with my own N66 when I get back home and have a few mins to test it.

Hi,
I am sorry if I missed this (I just did a search of this thread), but I have a RT-AC87R and this beta kills my 5GHz the next day , Meaning even my 5GHz light goes out, it does not even show on devices at all, UNTIL a reboot of the router? (will happen every 24 hours, after I get back from work since I installed it)

I first upgraded on top on the last beta, that was running great (the last beta), but last night I did a full reset and input of all settings manually and now after work again the 5GHz light is out on the router and nothing showing on any device. I also have a hard time even getting into the router (web log in page), or even get into it at all when this happens.

I am going back to the last beta for now.
Thanks

That's odd, since my main router is also an RT-AC87U, and I never have any issue at all with the 5 GHz band (I use it when connecting with my laptop).

Test with no USB disk plugged in to reduce the number of potential variables, and also disable any customized config/script in jffs if you created any.

Are you running any custom scripts or configurations that is not part of the GUI? Also can you describe your configuration a bit more in detailed. I have been running the beta 2 now for the whole week without any radio or core routing issues with my AC87.

That's odd, since my main router is also an RT-AC87U, and I never have any issue at all with the 5 GHz band (I use it when connecting with my laptop).

Test with no USB disk plugged in to reduce the number of potential variables, and also disable any customized config/script in jffs if you created any.

Hi and thank you for getting back,

I run no scripts at all.
I use a cable modem.
WAN is set up auto except manual DNS 8.8.4.4 and 8.8.8.8
I use one 2.4 GHz guest network and my main 2.4 and 5GHz all set to WAP2
I use 2 port forwarding addresses
I use 24 manually assigned IP around the DHCP list
I use a dyndns (DDNS) basic setup
I use 2 3TB seagate external powered 3.5" hard drives in seagate enclosure
each one is attached to one USB port (one to USB2 and the other is USB3) with a 400 in HDD spin down.

Everything else is default, NO scripts at all.

Everything was fine until this latest beta, problem is as I described it before.
every day I come home and NO 5GHz light or signal at all from the router and very hard to even get into the router with web interface, I tried to use the wifi button but it did nothing at all.

I even held the WPS button while powering on to reset, then reflashed again, then WPS reset again and also did a reset in the menu to factory default last night and today I came home and same problem.

I am trying the older beta 1 now by just flashing over this one, will see over the weekend if I need to reset.

I hope this helps, I can try next week to do HDD removal if you need me to.
anything else , please advise.

Hi,
I am sorry if I missed this (I just did a search of this thread), but I have a RT-AC87R and this beta kills my 5GHz the next day , Meaning even my 5GHz light goes out, it does not even show on devices at all, UNTIL a reboot of the router? (will happen every 24 hours, after I get back from work since I installed it)

I first upgraded on top on the last beta, that was running great (the last beta), but last night I did a full reset and input of all settings manually and now after work again the 5GHz light is out on the router and nothing showing on any device. I also have a hard time even getting into the router (web log in page), or even get into it at all when this happens.

I am going back to the last beta for now.
Thanks

Do you have a lot of Apple client devices?
Do you see it on iPhones6 by any chance?
I had very similar problem affecting 4 iPhone6 and Pluses - upgrade to 8.1 solved it.
So, it was on the Apple side not the router's. I think Asus didn't like the new iPhones :)

Down with hijacking

Hello,

VERY long post snipped.
Really dude? :confused:

Your post is perhaps the most egregious example of thread hijacking I have ever witnessed. This thread is for discussing bugs or issues related to the firmware version 376.48 Beta 2. It may be hard to fathom but this community does not exist to troubleshoot your likely configuration issue(s).

I am not trying to be harsh Bro but that was a totally lame post. :(

Hello,

First of all, thank you Merlin for putting out so much effort in developing the firmware! I glanced through the threads and changelogs for latest 376.48 beta2, stable 376.47 and fork 374.43 and decided to give a shot for the latest beta for n66u which was running latest stock FW. I'm not sure whether it was a user error or something else but I managed to lose the settings to default after reboot, multiple times with different FWs. Simply put, what I did was:

1) Unplug all but desktop LAN, switch off all wifi devices, flash beta, power off with button, cord off 30seconds, cord back, WPS pressed 10 seconds during switch on and then relased. I configured the router settings by applying all the changes on every page. Then I decided to give it one reboot via webui to leave it running "fresh". Kaboom, all settings lost and I was greeted by the setup wizard. I configured the settings twice, rebooted afterwards via webui and lost the settings again.

2) Then I did the same procedure (with the factory reset to be sure) with the latest stable. Same thing, settings lost.

3) Then I lost my faith and flashed back to stock BUT decided to save the settings (learned my lesson finally) and do the final reboot with power off button, for some reason which I don't remember. After reboot everything was there. Okay, I noticed that probably it was necessary either to save the settings to disk (don't understand why this would have anything to do with the case) or reboot with power button instead of webui reboot. I never loaded the saved settings, just saved to disk.

4) I regained my faith and flashed with beta again, did factory reset, changed settings, saved, rebooted with power button and all settings were there. I even engouraged to do webui reboot afterwards and no problems whatsoever.

Do you guys have any explanation why power button reboot together with saving the file to disk would have anything to do with NOT reverting the settings to default? Did I do something wrong? I did the factory reset every time immediately after flashing the FW, before doing any configuration changes, i.e. I did not clear the NVRAM after doing the changes. :) I just realised that maybe logs would have been crucial but I was fiddling in the middle of the night and neither thought of saving the logs or writing to the forums. Same kind of issues are described here: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=80954&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0&sid=3008387d0ef340c30fe1a091fb94b506

Another question, what could be the reason for terrible ping both with 2.4GHz and 5GHz wlans? I had the same problem with the stock rom and with all of listed FWs which I tried? Although the connection is established, it can take up to 10 seconds before I get ping responds or web pages loaded. But then, after the initial lagging, everything is somewhat smooth until I leave it be for a while. This happens only with laptop (samsung series 9, 900x4d with Linux Mint 17 x64). Some hardware issue with my laptop? I did not have this problem with netgear. Do you recommend trying to change some specific setting? Could NAT acceleration have anything to do with this? Any improvements vs. flaws expected concerning the wifi issue, if I downgrade to fork 374.43? Thanks, and sorry for rumbling to the forums with highly potential TL;DR post. :)

My opinion is you've got a bad case of cockpit error. Just be glad it's a router and not a Cessna. ;)

Here's the output from fdisk -l

Code:
Disk /dev/sda: 63.2 GB, 63249055744 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 7689 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks  Id System
/dev/sda1               3        7690    61750272  83 Linux

Found it. Asus' new USB handling code looks at the number of USB ports to determine how many "ports" to handle, which means the internal SD card reader was being missed. Fixed with https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/commit/108be51c1455301115e991e148cb1d5874645703 .

Really dude? :confused:

Your post is perhaps the most egregious example of thread hijacking I have ever witnessed. This thread is for discussing bugs or issues related to the firmware version 376.48 Beta 2. It may be hard to fathom but this community does not exist to troubleshoot your likely configuration issue(s).

I am not trying to be harsh Bro but that was a totally lame post. :(

Sorry, did not mean to. I should have created a new thread or not posting at all. I thought that someone could have known obvious reason for losing the settings in reboot. Apparently not which seems to be the result also in other similar cases. I won't mess the thread anymore, over'n'out.

Non standard sector size 0x1000 bytes

Still having USB (3TB) issues with this version (.43 was the last that worked). Any idea of when that will be fixed? TIA.

Still having USB (3TB) issues with this version (.43 was the last that worked). Any idea of when that will be fixed? TIA.

What do you have??
I have a RT-AC87R and have had NO USB issues at all EVER, with 2 seagate USB 3TB Hard drives. Ck your format or ??

On a side note,
Me going back to the last beta SO FAR my 5GHz is fine. well see by the end of the weekend.

EDIT noooooo my 5GHz just dropped AGAIN, now I have to flush and pray. What happened!!! this only started after the latest beta??

Last edited:

Most likely never by me, since I don't even know what issue you are talking about... My own 3 TB works fine, I was using it to develop and debug the Samba 3.6 support.

Do you have a lot of Apple client devices?
Do you see it on iPhones6 by any chance?
I had very similar problem affecting 4 iPhone6 and Pluses - upgrade to 8.1 solved it.
So, it was on the Apple side not the router's. I think Asus didn't like the new iPhones :)

All my iphone 6's are on 8.1 and I had no issues at all on 8.0 or 8.02
BUT I did just add and iPad air 2 , I will move that to my 2.4GHz if it happens again, I think the air 2 has more compatibility with this router and it may actually be more incompatible, that is the only thing that has changed besides the latest beta, thanks for the reminder.

Merlin what are the chances of my new air 2 being the problem?

Maybe it is not working at all (this is on .43)? I could always try a reformat or something, if you think that would work? I ran checkdsk and it was fine. Here is the exact error.

Non standard sector size 0x1000 bytes
GetMount: "/dev/sda1"
GetMount: Device is not mounted
NTFS quick check: seems to be consistent
chkntfs returns 0

376.48 Beta 3 was uploaded. This is mostly bugfixes for the Sharing permission issues. Miniupnpd was also updated to the final 1.9 release (plus an additional post-1.9 release fix for PCP).

Code:
376.48 Beta 3 (02-Nov-2014)
   - CHANGED: Updated miniupnpd to release 1.9 (plus upstream PCP fix)
   - FIXED: Couldn't edit share permissions for Samba if your disk
            contained an unmounted/hidden partition (Asus bug in 2769)
   - FIXED: Couldn't edit share permissions for Samba for the RT-N66U
            internal SDcard reader (Asus bug in 2769)
   - FIXED: Missing Max User field to Samba page (Asus bug)

Unless something major comes up, this should be the last beta before the final 376.48 release.

376.48 Beta 3 was uploaded. This is mostly bugfixes for the Sharing permission issues. Miniupnpd was also updated to the final 1.9 release (plus an additional post-1.9 release fix for PCP).

Code:
376.48 Beta 3 (02-Nov-2014)
   - CHANGED: Updated miniupnpd to release 1.9 (plus upstream PCP fix)
   - FIXED: Couldn't edit share permissions for Samba if your disk
            contained an unmounted/hidden partition (Asus bug in 2769)
   - FIXED: Couldn't edit share permissions for Samba for the RT-N66U
            internal SDcard reader (Asus bug in 2769)
   - FIXED: Missing Max User field to Samba page (Asus bug)

Unless something major comes up, this should be the last beta before the final 376.48 release.

So far, so good Merlin. Thanks and looking forward to final release

Sorry, I had things backwards, even though my USB disk lists those errors, I "can" get to it. It is the My Book LIve NAS drive (3TB) that is acting wonky. So I will go latest and see what I can find. Thanks for everything Merlin.

The last two betas have addressed the issues that I was having with "Moderate" NAT on my gaming consoles. The necessary ports are now opening with UPNP enabled. Good job and thanks for all that you do, Merlin.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!