What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 376.48 Beta 2 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Adaptive QOS seemed to have stopped working

Today I had to stop using the adaptive QOS rules on the AC87R. For some reason it wasn't picking up OneDrive file transfers and it was consuming all my upstream bandwidth. So I switched to traditional QOS. I don't know if it was the beta 3 or just that the TrendNet filter just stopped identifying traffic types. Adaptive QOS has been working great since I configured it two merlin releases ago.

I just wanted to give everyone a heads up that the order that you enter the rules has is as important as the rules themselves since AUSU firmware loads the rules in the order they are entered. And once the are entered you cannot change the order unless you edit the NVRAM setting manually. I do wish that AUSU provided this in their GUI.

The last two betas have addressed the issues that I was having with "Moderate" NAT on my gaming consoles. The necessary ports are now opening with UPNP enabled. Good job and thanks for all that you do, Merlin.

Must have been a bug in miniupnpd then, as beta 2 and beta 3 were updated to the latest code available at the time.

Now with beta 3 in Windows Network Center , RT- AC68u appears as the UPNP router, not with his name. :rolleyes:

Tested with an RT-N66u too, same!
Normal?

Thanx

There seems to be a bug with the miniupnpd build system. Sometimes when the firmware compiles it, it does not properly enable the option to specify a device's "friendly_name" through its config file, and sometimes it does. The issue randomly occurs at build time. It happened to me with one of my own internal test builds, and the very next build it was correctly compiled.

I will have to see if there's a way to force miniupnpd to always enable this frigging option it keeps randomly disabling. When I check all six build branches on my development machine, I see that the option only got properly enabled for four out of the six models, despite the fact that all six were compiled exactly the same way (make clean && make MODELNAME).

Today I had to stop using the adaptive QOS rules on the AC87R. For some reason it wasn't picking up OneDrive file transfers and it was consuming all my upstream bandwidth. So I switched to traditional QOS. I don't know if it was the beta 3 or just that the TrendNet filter just stopped identifying traffic types. Adaptive QOS has been working great since I configured it two merlin releases ago.

There has been no change to the TM module throughout the 3 betas (all three use the 376_2769 code). However the router might be downloading updated signatures from Asus's servers, it's possible that one of the signature updates introduced the issue.

Must have been a bug in miniupnpd then, as beta 2 and beta 3 were updated to the latest code available at the time.

From a comment over in LinkSysInfo...the latest miniupnpd does indeed address problems when there are multiple Xbox consoles.

Hi,
Beta 1 ran without issue like before (after a WPS reset), no 5GHz loss in over 24 hours that beta 2 was unable to do.

Now I just loaded beta 3 and will see how goes.

Note: I did find hard drive errors, but most likely the cause was beta 2, lack of being able to even get into the router, I had to power cycle the router.

edit: I have not plugged in the 2 USB drives and will see tomorrow if beta 3 has this issue without the drives in, then I will plug then in and see how goes.

Last edited:
Beta 3 and samba issue

I tried beta 3, and samba didn't work at all, on beta 2, I did a factory reset and everything worked fine on Samba, I tried everything on beta 3 to make samba work with no luck, I'm using a RT-AC56U

There has been no change to the TM module throughout the 3 betas (all three use the 376_2769 code). However the router might be downloading updated signatures from Asus's servers, it's possible that one of the signature updates introduced the issue.

I deleted all my rules and went back to the adaptive QOS this afternoon as a test. Now it's working again. Very strange....

Parental controls don't track with DST to DT time change

So in the US the time changed this morning from DST to ST. I'm running 376.48_beta2.

I have parental controls set to turn off the internet from 22-23 and 23-24. The time changed to 21 and my son's computer could no longer access the internet, an hour before the internet should have been shut off.

It seems, without knowing, that the algorithm checking parental controls for a particular ethernet address is still using the DST time rather than the DT time that is displayed as "System Time" on the Parental Controls screen.

I temporarily reset the controls to allow access, and I'll reboot the router to see if that fixes things, but seems like a bug to me.

A reboot fixed things, but it would be nice if the parental control code could be aware of the DST to DT and DT to DST change.

So in the US the time changed this morning from DST to ST. I'm running 376.48_beta2.

I have parental controls set to turn off the internet from 22-23 and 23-24. The time changed to 21 and my son's computer could no longer access the internet, an hour before the internet should have been shut off.

It seems, without knowing, that the algorithm checking parental controls for a particular ethernet address is still using the DST time rather than the DT time that is displayed as "System Time" on the Parental Controls screen.

I temporarily reset the controls to allow access, and I'll reboot the router to see if that fixes things, but seems like a bug to me.

That won't help me in figuring out what the issue is... It's definitely not a bug in Samba's source code itself, because Samba is used by millions of persons. It's far more likely a configuration issue, or a change in a default setting in 3.6. I can't reproduce the issue, and unless I can get some troubleshooting results from the few users affected, I won't be able to fix it, or point people toward what needs to be changed on their end to fix it.

Samba 3.6 is here to stay. I'm not going to revert back to the prehistoric 3.0.25 version.

Hi RMerlin. First of all, thank you very much for bringing us this custom firmware.. which is GREAT!

I'm experiencing the same issues as "White knight" regarding SAMBA...I updated my RT-AC87R to 376.48 Beta 3 and samba doesn't work.. everytime I do a change involving samba configuration I get this in the system log:

Nov 2 19:50:05 Samba Server: daemon is started
Nov 2 19:50:05 dnsmasq[7505]: exiting on receipt of SIGTERM
Nov 2 19:50:06 smbd[15513]: [2014/11/02 19:50:06.021826, 0] auth/auth_util.c:841(make_system_session_info_from_pw)
Nov 2 19:50:06 smbd[15513]: make_server_info_info3 failed with NT code 0xc0000064

I'm more than willing to help you troubleshoot/test this issue...

Cheers,

Dragster

I tried beta 3, and samba didn't work at all, on beta 2, I did a factory reset and everything worked fine on Samba, I tried everything on beta 3 to make samba work with no luck, I'm using a RT-AC56U

Remove any customized smb.conf you might have added. Also look in the System Log for any error.

Hi RMerlin. First of all, thank you very much for bringing us this custom firmware.. which is GREAT!

I'm experiencing the same issues as "White knight" regarding SAMBA...I updated my RT-AC87R to 376.48 Beta 3 and samba doesn't work.. everytime I do a change involving samba configuration I get this in the system log:

Nov 2 19:50:05 Samba Server: daemon is started
Nov 2 19:50:05 dnsmasq[7505]: exiting on receipt of SIGTERM
Nov 2 19:50:06 smbd[15513]: [2014/11/02 19:50:06.021826, 0] auth/auth_util.c:841(make_system_session_info_from_pw)
Nov 2 19:50:06 smbd[15513]: make_server_info_info3 failed with NT code 0xc0000064

I'm more than willing to help you troubleshoot/test this issue...
r

- What operating systems are used by your clients?
- Did you do any customization to smb.conf?
- Post a screenshot of your Samba configuration page
- Did you do any particular configuration on your client to "improve" security?

- What operating systems are used by your clients?
- Did you do any customization to smb.conf?
- Post a screenshot of your Samba configuration page
- Did you do any particular configuration on your client to "improve" security?

Hi RMerlin, thanks for your reply. Answers below:

- No, I haven't done any customization to the smb.conf file.
- I will, as soon as I get home later.
- No, I haven't done any configuration on my clients to improve secutiy.

I use a Windows 8.1 based PC and I also mount the shares under AmigaOS 4.1 and MorphOS 3.7 with smb client...

Cheers,

Dragster

Here's my samba conf:

Attachments

• SambaConf.jpg
    SambaConf.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 541
Hi RMerlin, thanks for your reply. Answers below:

- No, I haven't done any customization to the smb.conf file.
- I will, as soon as I get home later.
- No, I haven't done any configuration on my clients to improve secutiy.

I use a Windows 8.1 based PC and I also mount the shares under AmigaOS 4.1 and MorphOS 3.7 with smb client...

This is a fairly standard setup then. So far I can't reproduce that issue with my own Windows 8.1. Can you try unplugging the non-Windows clients to see if maybe it could be a compatibility issue with those other clients?

Thanks RMerlin,

Yep, it's a standard configuration... nothing added... as simple as it gets.

As for the non-Windows clients, this issue turns up even when those clients are offline.. turned off/disconnected.

I've unplugged the AmigaOS machine from the router.. the MorphOS one is turned off (that one connects via WiFi).. and the issue persists...

Cheers,

Dragster

Thanks RMerlin,

Yep, it's a standard configuration... nothing added... as simple as it gets.

As for the non-Windows clients, this issue turns up even when those clients are offline.. turned off/disconnected.

I've unplugged the AmigaOS machine from the router.. the MorphOS one is turned off (that one connects via WiFi).. and the issue persists...

I tried to reproduce your setup as closely as possible based on your screenshot. I finally found how to reproduce the issue: by changing my router's default admin user (I see yours was changed for Dragster). Now I can get the same error message in my log.

Tracking down the cause should be easier. I suspect something is hardcoded for "admin".

Beta 3 fixes Samba Permissions and works under Yosemite!

Just finished verifying that the Samba permissions issue is fixed with the SD card using Beta 3 and can access the Samba shares using Yosemite!

Thanks again!!

I tried to reproduce your setup as closely as possible based on your screenshot. I finally found how to reproduce the issue: by changing my router's default admin user (I see yours was changed for Dragster). Now I can get the same error message in my log.

Tracking down the cause should be easier. I suspect something is hardcoded for "admin".

Found the cause. Samba doesn't like if the system user has uppercase characters in it, as it tries to match it to a lowercase version, and fails.

I suspect it's because nobody ever expected a UNIX superuser to contain any uppercase character (after all, the vast majority of them is "root", or "admin").

Not sure how realistic it would be to change this, especially if it's because that's intended behaviour by the Samba developers. For now, changing "Dragster" to "dragster" should resolve the immediate issue in your case. I'll see if it's possible to change this.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!