What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 376.48 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all, thanks Merlin for all the hard work! :)

Second, I apologize if this is already reported (couldn't find it) but I just upgraded to 48 (and later to 48_1) and notice that the visual indicator of used/free space of my usb drive is no longer working (see attached image)

Nothing severe, just want to report it.

Thanks again.

Attachments

• asuswrt-merlin.png
    asuswrt-merlin.png
    31.1 KB · Views: 470
I picked up a RT-AC68P at BestBuy yesterday. Saw that 376.48 was released and flashed to it last night.

Router has been running for about 15 hours with the new build and has been solid. On various machines, phones, iPad, game consoles...No disconnects, no dropouts. Internet throughput has been good, client to router throughput for N and AC clients has been good. Have not tested USB 3.0 drive read/write speeds yet.

So far, so good. MUCH better results than the AC87R that I rolled the dice on in Aug.

As soon as I posted, it looks like something whacky is going on with IPv6. It was working fine, then the router was showing an IPv6 address and clients also appeared to have v6 addresses, yet connections and v6 tests failed. Now, no combination of reboots or resets seems to make a difference. Cannot get a v6 address at all.

I suppose it could be a transient issue on Comcast's end and just poor coincidental timing. I will probably wait and if still an issue tomorrow will try .47.

On my wireless mac filter, the names don't seem to be working as they should.

It is just showing mac address and then mac address again where the name should be.

Same for me but only on the 5GHz band. Also when clicking on the professional tab, there is no logo or connectivity info graphics. The page starts with settings to edit. After applying, it all returned. RT-N66u on 48_1

Port Forward Issue w/ 376.48_1

After upgrading my RT-AC66R from 376.47 to 376.48_1. I am experiencing an issue when I attempt to access my webserver from my LAN using its internet domain.

For example:
When I am on my local network, say, 192.168.1.110 and attempt to access "www.foo.com" the rules set up resolved the IP and forwarded to my internal IP 192.168.1.6:8080. I confirmed that the IP resolves correctly, but the port forward does not seem to work. When I am external IP (my smartphone, not connected to my wifi) and attempt to connect to "www.foo.com" I am able to access it.

I have concluded that something changed between .47 and .48_1 because, when I roll back to 376.47, the issue does not exist. So, when I type in "www.foo.com" into my browser from a PC on my LAN, I am able to access my webserver.

Am I missing a NAT rule or some new configuration that exists within 376.48_1??

I'm uploading 376.48_2 for the RT-N16 with the missing library.

Thanks again Merlin for this quick-fix.
Something weird happened upgrading from 48_1 to 48_2, my RT-N16 goes in a brick status with power led slow-flashing.
I saved my butt flashing with Asus firmware restoration tool latest original firmware, and then flashed 48_2.
All works fine now, samba is operative as in .47.

About upper post this is my report:

@vdemarco: Wireless/General page displayed correctly here
@jmedaglia: available space on my USB disk is correctly displayed

@moronim: testing more deeply I can confirm that port forward is correct ONLY for services running inside the router.
As an example, access from LAN or external ip to pyload and transmission running on Asus works both using local ip and no-ip.com
Access to my STB/OpenWebIf, running on another device, from LAN works fine only using local ip, no access using no-ip.com.
No problems accessing to the same device from external ip.

Last edited:
WAN is now picking up the right MTU for ipv6 when using AT&T Uverse

Finally the MTU of the Wan IPv6 connection is now being picked up correctly from AT&T for those of us that have IPv6 capable residential gateways. Before I used to have to write a firewall rule to change the MTU from 1500 to a supportable number.

So far so good with all the other base functionality, IPv6, Adaptive QOS, Static DHCP, Samba, etc all seems to be doing well. I'll let it bake for another and the add back some of the custom configurations.

Last edited:
DDNS not work

RT-AC68U
376.48_1
--------------
DDNS broken!
Can't acces from outside using ddns adress!
Acces via ip address works

Merlin plz fix

Hi Merlin, thanks for you work,
as others mentioned my drives attached to the Rt-ac66u no longer show in my network shares.
I have performed a factory reset, same result, I have attached smbd in debug mode log.
Also I'm unable to create folders in my second attached drive(sdb5) or set permission s from the router gui, but if I'm not mistaken you posted some where that you had giving up in this issue and with for asus to fix it.
Thanks.

Attachments

• 192.168.1.1_20141108230654.txt
    6.4 KB · Views: 333
Wrong Mounting & Error

Hi,

I am observing a strange behavior in the mounting of the USB devices on ma RT-AC68U router. The Syslog shows two mounts on my usb-stick:

Code:
Jan  1 01:00:16 kernel: scsi 1:0:0:0: Direct-Access     SanDisk  Cruzer Fit       1.26 PQ: 0 ANSI: 5
Jan  1 01:00:16 kernel: sd 1:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg1 type 0
Jan  1 01:00:16 kernel: sd 1:0:0:0: [sdb] 15633408 512-byte logical blocks: (8.00 GB/7.45 GiB)
Jan  1 01:00:16 kernel: sd 1:0:0:0: [sdb] Write Protect is off
Jan  1 01:00:16 kernel: sd 1:0:0:0: [sdb] Assuming drive cache: write through
Jan  1 01:00:16 kernel:  sdb: sdb1 sdb2
Jan  1 01:00:16 kernel: sd 1:0:0:0: [sdb] Attached SCSI removable disk
Jan  1 01:00:16 kernel:  sda: sda1 sda2
Jan  1 01:00:16 kernel: xhci_hcd 0000:00:0b.0: WARN: Stalled endpoint
Jan  1 01:00:16 kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Assuming drive cache: write through
Jan  1 01:00:16 kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Attached SCSI disk

Jan  1 01:00:16 hotplug[564]: USB ext4 fs at /dev/sdb2 mounted on /tmp/mnt/usb-stick
Jan  1 01:00:16 kernel: EXT4-fs (sdb2): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode. Opts: user_xattr

Jan  1 01:00:25 kernel: hub 3-0:1.0: USB hub found
Jan  1 01:00:25 kernel: hub 3-0:1.0: 2 ports detected
Jan  1 01:00:25 kernel: EXT4-fs error (device sdb2): ext4_find_entry:921: inode #2: comm sh: reading directory lblock 0
Jan  1 01:00:25 kernel: usb 2-1: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 2
Jan  1 01:00:25 kernel: scsi2 : usb-storage 2-1:1.0
Jan  1 01:00:25 kernel: usb 2-2: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 3
Jan  1 01:00:25 kernel: scsi3 : usb-storage 2-2:1.0

Jan  1 01:00:26 kernel: scsi 3:0:0:0: Direct-Access     SanDisk  Cruzer Fit       1.26 PQ: 0 ANSI: 5
Jan  1 01:00:26 kernel: sd 3:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg1 type 0
Jan  1 01:00:26 kernel: sd 3:0:0:0: [sdc] 15633408 512-byte logical blocks: (8.00 GB/7.45 GiB)
Jan  1 01:00:26 kernel: sd 3:0:0:0: [sdc] Write Protect is off
Jan  1 01:00:26 kernel: sd 3:0:0:0: [sdc] Assuming drive cache: write through
Jan  1 01:00:26 kernel:  sdc: sdc1 sdc2
Jan  1 01:00:26 kernel: sd 3:0:0:0: [sdc] Attached SCSI removable disk

Nov  9 15:35:28 hotplug[1057]: USB ext4 fs at /dev/sdc2 mounted on /tmp/mnt/usb-stick(1)
Nov  9 15:35:28 kernel: EXT4-fs (sdc2): recovery complete
Nov  9 15:35:28 kernel: EXT4-fs (sdc2): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode. Opts: user_xattr

Nov  9 15:35:37 kernel: JBD2: I/O error detected when updating journal superblock for sdb2-8.
Nov  9 15:35:37 kernel: EXT4-fs (sdb2): previous I/O error to superblock detected

The secound mount survives and the first one vanishes. Which is a problem, as all my Optware and logs are on /usb-stick and do not work anymore!

Any idea why the usb-stick is mounted twice with diffrent device names (sdb and later sdc) and ending up with a secound mount points? Whereas the usb harddisk survies on sda and the right mount point? :confused:
By the way: sdb device is gone at the end - it's only temporary avaliable during boot.
Could this be related to the change log topic "fix for unmounted/hidden partition" - as I have two swap partitions on my usb devices?

fdisk -l shows at the end:
Code:
Disk /dev/sda: 1000.2 GB, 1000202043392 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 121600 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks  Id System
/dev/sda1               1          66      524288  82 Linux swap
/dev/sda2              66      121601   976234496  83 Linux

Disk /dev/sdc: 8004 MB, 8004304896 bytes
247 heads, 62 sectors/track, 1020 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 15314 * 512 = 7840768 bytes

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks  Id System
/dev/sdc1               1          69      524288  82 Linux swap
/dev/sdc2              69        1021     7290880  83 Linux

With kind regards
Joe :cool:

PS.: Looks to me like the reason for the issues posted above by faria & jmedaglia.

Last edited:
RMerlin, can you please fix these two fields where SSIDs are introduced?

There are lots of free space to the right side in this string, they were not cut in 376.45 but they are in 376.47 and 48

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 693
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 701
Last edited:
RT-AC68U
376.48_1
--------------
DDNS broken!

Merlin plz fix

Complete registration again and it will work. At least for me it works.

Hey everyone. I was having some issues with DDNS after the upgrade, but resetting to factory and re-registering the DDNS fixed the issue. However, I find that if I try to access any internal resource using the DDNS name it fails.

Example: I'm on my network, try to hit xxx.asuscomm.com:1234 and it will fail. I know it's working from outside of my network (tested it). I believe that's WAN/NAT loopback? Anything I should try? It worked before...

Thanks.

Hey everyone. I was having some issues with DDNS after the upgrade, but resetting to factory and re-registering the DDNS fixed the issue. However, I find that if I try to access any internal resource using the DDNS name it fails.

Example: I'm on my network, try to hit xxx.asuscomm.com:1234 and it will fail. I know it's working from outside of my network (tested it). I believe that's WAN/NAT loopback? Anything I should try? It worked before...

Thanks.

I also format jffs, now i think works normaly. I can access Transmission from local network on port 9091 if you mean that.

Hi all

For starters, great work RMerlin once again.

A question. Were is the cmd prompt in the router GUI i belive it was there way back. been a while since i needed it but i can't seem to find it anymore. has it been removed. was a great tool and no need for telnet, just run the command inside of the gui.
The command prompt in the web-based GUI had to be removed. It had become a security issue IIRC. With either telnet or ssh enabled (Administration/System) you can run commands just as you would with a DOS prompt.

Last edited:
I also format jffs, now i think works normaly. I can access Transmission from local network on port 9091 if you mean that.

No good :( Formatted jffs and rebooted the router, and same behavior. xxx.asuscomm.com:<port> isn't connecting for me on my network - have to use localhost or local IP. Specifically, I tried with Ventrilo and RDP with no luck - but it works outside of my network.

I've got a AC87R and ran into an issue, which was an issue when I originally installed 376.47. After the install, all my WAN requests redirect to the gateway (the ASUS). So if I go to www.bing.com, it redirects me to 192.168.1.1 and asks me to log into the router. Doesn't matter what I try and happens from multiple device types (phones, pc, iPad, OSX). This happened when I originally install 376.47 and now again with 376.48_1.

The fix is restoring to default and entering my settings again. I'm relatively new to Merlin's builds, so is this normal?

I've had the AC87R for a couple of months and it has been completely flakey, I'm hoping Merlin's firmware will make it finally usable....

First of all, thanks Merlin for all the hard work! :)

Second, I apologize if this is already reported (couldn't find it) but I just upgraded to 48 (and later to 48_1) and notice that the visual indicator of used/free space of my usb drive is no longer working (see attached image)

Nothing severe, just want to report it.

Thanks again.

Asus broke a lot of USB-related things with 376_2769. After spending over a week trying to track down and fix what I could, I gave up on the remaining issues, especially since I couldn't reproduce the remaining ones here. You will have to wait for a fix from Asus for these ones.

After upgrading my RT-AC66R from 376.47 to 376.48_1. I am experiencing an issue when I attempt to access my webserver from my LAN using its internet domain.

For example:
When I am on my local network, say, 192.168.1.110 and attempt to access "www.foo.com" the rules set up resolved the IP and forwarded to my internal IP 192.168.1.6:8080. I confirmed that the IP resolves correctly, but the port forward does not seem to work. When I am external IP (my smartphone, not connected to my wifi) and attempt to connect to "www.foo.com" I am able to access it.

I have concluded that something changed between .47 and .48_1 because, when I roll back to 376.47, the issue does not exist. So, when I type in "www.foo.com" into my browser from a PC on my LAN, I am able to access my webserver.

Am I missing a NAT rule or some new configuration that exists within 376.48_1??

Due to an architectural change by Asus, I had to remove my custom NAT loopback code (that didn't work at all anymore) and replace it with Asus' own NAT loopback code, which is flaky, but works for most users.

Try either disabling HW acceleration, or ensuring that Dual WAN is not enabled as temporary workarounds.

I know Asus fixed NAT loopback issues in 376_3602, but the source code isn't available yet so I don't know how/if it's really fixed.

RT-AC68U
376.48_1
--------------
DDNS broken!

Merlin plz fix

DDNS works fine for me, I frequently use it to connect back home. Make sure the issue isn't with your DDNS provider (for instance the Asus DDNS does go down from time to time). Check your system log to see if there's any registration error.

RMerlin, can you please fix these two fields where SSIDs are introduced?

There are lots of free space to the right side in this string, they were not cut in 376.45 but they are in 376.47 and 48

Asus probably added hyphenation to prevent wordwrapping of long SSIDs. I can see if the limit can be increased, but that's not a priority at the moment since it's just a visual thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!