What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 376.48 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a AC87R and ran into an issue, which was an issue when I originally installed 376.47. After the install, all my WAN requests redirect to the gateway (the ASUS). So if I go to www.bing.com, it redirects me to 192.168.1.1 and asks me to log into the router. Doesn't matter what I try and happens from multiple device types (phones, pc, iPad, OSX). This happened when I originally install 376.47 and now again with 376.48_1.

The fix is restoring to default and entering my settings again. I'm relatively new to Merlin's builds, so is this normal?

I've had the AC87R for a couple of months and it has been completely flakey, I'm hoping Merlin's firmware will make it finally usable....

This might happen if your WAN interface isn't properly configured or is failing to connect.

1) Can you please explain me what this log line means ?
Code:
Nov  8 08:36:57 HTTP login: Detect abnormal logins at 5 times. The newest one was from 192.168.1.2.

it means you have a computer on 192.168.1.2 that kept trying to connect to your router's port 80, and failed to provide proper login credentials. The router reports these repeated failed login attempts as a security measure.

2) Can you please, when you'll have spare time, check DropBox client in AiCloud ?
It should be nice, but it doesn't work, still remain syncing hours for a simple 3Kb jpg, and produce a lot of thrash. If I have on DB a file called test.txt, then I edit that file on my Asus, it produce a new test(1).txt file that will be spammed on all devices connected to the same DB account.

Quite frankly I don't care much about AiCloud and its plugins. Supporting them at all is a PITA since a lot of the code is closed source, so if there's any issue with AiCloud it would have to be resolved by Asus anyway - I have very limited control over it.

Hi Merlin, thanks for you work,
as others mentioned my drives attached to the Rt-ac66u no longer show in my network shares.
I have performed a factory reset, same result, I have attached smbd in debug mode log.
Also I'm unable to create folders in my second attached drive(sdb5) or set permission s from the router gui, but if I'm not mistaken you posted some where that you had giving up in this issue and with for asus to fix it.
Thanks.

Just tested with my RT-AC66U and it works fine for me on both accounts. Check that your disk doesn't have any error on it. Also try accessing it directly through the URI (\\192.168.1.1\ in Windows Explorer) to see if it might be just a name resolution issue.

The only other mention of drives not showing was specific to the RT-N16, and the issue was resolved with 376.48_2.

I get this on the Samba config page. Cleared cookies & cache & reloaded & no change. But I can access the Samba shares no problem.

Capture2.jpg

Last edited:
Found strange thing. Router open and close ports randomly, even if the is opened through firewall-start. Does someone has something like that? Checked 80, 8080, 443 ports. Same thing on all of them. On beta 3 work fine by the way.

getting a lot of these logs and the devices are in deep sleep :D, something wrong ?!

Nov 9 02:13:38 dnsmasq-dhcp[700]: DHCPACK(br0)
Nov 9 02:23:33 dnsmasq-dhcp[700]: DHCPREQUEST(br0)
Nov 9 02:23:33 dnsmasq-dhcp[700]: DHCPACK(br0)
Nov 9 02:33:28 dnsmasq-dhcp[700]: DHCPREQUEST(br0)
Nov 9 02:33:28 dnsmasq-dhcp[700]: DHCPACK(br0)
Nov 9 02:35:33 dnsmasq-dhcp[700]: DHCPDISCOVER(br0)
Nov 9 02:35:33 dnsmasq-dhcp[700]: DHCPOFFER(br0)
Nov 9 02:35:33 dnsmasq-dhcp[700]: DHCPREQUEST(br0)
Nov 9 02:35:33 dnsmasq-dhcp[700]: DHCPACK(br0)
Nov 9 02:43:23 dnsmasq-dhcp[700]: DHCPREQUEST(br0)
Nov 9 02:43:23 dnsmasq-dhcp[700]: DHCPACK(br0)
Nov 9 02:53:18 dnsmasq-dhcp[700]: DHCPREQUEST(br0)
Nov 9 02:53:18 dnsmasq-dhcp[700]: DHCPACK(br0)

VPN not working for me on 376.48_1. Devices just report that the server is unreachable. Using Asus's DDNS on AC68, PPTP.

Last edited:
Same for me but only on the 5GHz band. Also when clicking on the professional tab, there is no logo or connectivity info graphics. The page starts with settings to edit. After applying, it all returned. RT-N66u on 48_1

Strange, for me it is only on the 2.4ghz band.

I did apply, and it is still the same.

It doesn't bother me particularly, I have a print out on the wall of all my devices and mac ids anyway.

Just tested with my RT-AC66U and it works fine for me on both accounts. Check that your disk doesn't have any error on it. Also try accessing it directly through the URI (\\192.168.1.1\ in Windows Explorer) to see if it might be just a name resolution issue.

The only other mention of drives not showing was specific to the RT-N16, and the issue was resolved with 376.48_2.
Hi RMerlin, thanks for the quick reply.

I have fixed my samba issues by disabling Ftp share , Network places (samba) then a reboot then resetting permissions on Aidisk under Usb Applications, now the router shares appear in all my devices :D

As for the being unable to create folders on the second disk via the Gui the issue remains, i have noticed that the .__admin_var.txt etc are created/set properly after i create a folder via pc or winscp and reboot the router, i may be wrong but it seems this my be a Gui problem/bug.
As for the drives they have been formatted (ext2) twice since i discovered the problem, but i only noticed the problem on this build beta3 so i don't know how far back it appeared.
Many thanks for your help.
Untitledsamba.png

Last edited:
I can't reach local devices using my external IP from behind the router, port forwards are ok and other people can reach them.

The router is a Asus RT-AC66U with firmware .48

Last edited:
Anyone else seeing IPv6 issues with Comcast? I just got the RT-AC68P (supposedly same as 68U/R but with updated CPU) and I cannot get v6 to work at all.

Initially, the router got a v6 address and clients got v6 addresses, but there was no actual ability to connect over v6. Tests would fail, as would connections to v6 only sites.

Previously, I had a RT-N66U and had to stay on an older Merlin rev (374.42) due to an inability to get a v6 address with newer Merlin revs. I have not tried stock firmware.

I noticed a thread on DSLReports with very similar complaints, so wondering if anyone here has seen, knows about, or has any workaround for this issue.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r29595084-IPv6-IPv6-Problems-with-routers-other-than-Netgear

Due to an architectural change by Asus, I had to remove my custom NAT loopback code (that didn't work at all anymore) and replace it with Asus' own NAT loopback code, which is flaky, but works for most users.

Try either disabling HW acceleration, or ensuring that Dual WAN is not enabled as temporary workarounds.

I know Asus fixed NAT loopback issues in 376_3602, but the source code isn't available yet so I don't know how/if it's really fixed.

Ah...I see. I don't use Dual WAN anyway but manually disabling HW acceleration got it working for me. Thanks for the tip and for all the work you do for this community!

I can't reach local devices using my external IP from behind the router, port forwards are ok and other people can reach them.

I was just having this issue, and it's due to 348 firmware having to revert back to ASUS code for NAT Loopback, which seems to be much more finicky than Merlin's. A workaround that worked for me was disabling HW Acceleration, which you can do by going to http://192.168.1.1/Advanced_SwitchCtrl_Content.asp and changing NAT Acceleration to Disabled (that's how I did it anyway...if there is a better way, someone please correct me) and rebooting the router.

Anyone else seeing IPv6 issues with Comcast? I just got the RT-AC68P (supposedly same as 68U/R but with updated CPU) and I cannot get v6 to work at all.

Initially, the router got a v6 address and clients got v6 addresses, but there was no actual ability to connect over v6. Tests would fail, as would connections to v6 only sites.

Previously, I had a RT-N66U and had to stay on an older Merlin rev (374.42) due to an inability to get a v6 address with newer Merlin revs. I have not tried stock firmware.

I noticed a thread on DSLReports with very similar complaints, so wondering if anyone here has seen, knows about, or has any workaround for this issue.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r29595084-IPv6-IPv6-Problems-with-routers-other-than-Netgear
Howdy,
Simple enough, Comcast has horrible updates
Turn off your cable modem, turn off your router.
go to sleep
the next morning, turn the modem on, then turn on the router
you have your IP6 back and working :)

I had the same issue with u-verse last night. AT&T puts 6RD in their residential gateways since their infrastructure is all based on IPv4. My router picked up the prefix delegation just fine and addresses were being assigned as announced by my router.

Worked find all day until about 8:30 pm. I was on Xbox and watched a movie and played a few games. At that time I went back to the home and only the main tile page painted. Tried to log in and got an error. Went to a PC and tried the IPv6 testing page and it error'd out. Turned off IPv6 on the router and rebooted it. Within a few minutes everything returned to normal on the home network.

This is one reason I don't keep IPv6 running at home. AT&T and Comcast have too many issues. I just activate to test it out for Merlin.

5 Ghz Network not showing in network traffic (last 24 hours)

Just a minor issues and can live without it. The 5 Ghz network stats graph tab is not showing up in the traffic monitor under last 24 hours on my RT-AC87R. Attaching a photo.

Attachments

• No 5.8 Wirelesss Traffic History.jpg
    No 5.8 Wirelesss Traffic History.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 458
Last edited:
I was just having this issue, and it's due to 348 firmware having to revert back to ASUS code for NAT Loopback, which seems to be much more finicky than Merlin's. A workaround that worked for me was disabling HW Acceleration, which you can do by going to http://192.168.1.1/Advanced_SwitchCtrl_Content.asp and changing NAT Acceleration to Disabled (that's how I did it anyway...if there is a better way, someone please correct me) and rebooting the router.

That's weird, because i didn't have any trouble with it using Merlins 376.47

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!