What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 376.48 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any other mirror to download firmwares?

Mediafire seems to be down/extremely slow

0% [ ] 10 220 --.-K/s tps 34h 5m

0% [ ] 10 220 --.-K/s tps 3d 4h ^C

Greeting, it's my first post here. I installed Merlin's firmware in my brand new RT-AC56U and encountered a serious bug with IPv6.

The router is configured for Native IPv6 with DHCP-PD enabled. That works, but not correctly every time. Spefically, about one of two times the LAN IPv6 Address of the router and the LAN IPv6 Prefix that is advertised via the radvd daemon are different, which renders all IPv6 clients on the LAN unable to reach the internet.

Example: LAN IPv6 Address is 2a02:xxxx:xxxx:4801:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx but the advrtised prefix is 2a02:xxxx:xxxx:4800:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx.

My provider always assigns a /56 prefix via DHCP-PD, so the router must select a /64 subnet from it to use for it's LAN interface but has to use the same on the router advertisements. That part fails often. I discovered that when it is failing the /etc/dhcp6c.conf file is:
Code:
interface ppp0 {
script "/tmp/dhcp6c";
send rapid-commit;
send ia-pd 1015880;
request domain-name-servers;
request domain-name;
};
id-assoc pd 1015880 {
prefix-interface br0 {
sla-id 1;
sla-len 8;
};
};

And when it is NOT failing, it is:
Code:
interface ppp0 {
script "/tmp/dhcp6c";
send rapid-commit;
send ia-pd 1015880;
request domain-name-servers;
request domain-name;
};
id-assoc pd 1015880 {
prefix-interface br0 {
sla-id 1;
sla-len 0;
};
};

In the first case it reports the subnet on the IPv6 configuration page as /64, in the second as /56. It is a mystery to me why it works one time and then fails the next, but I was able to work around it by using a /jffs/scripts/radvd.postconf file with the following contents:

Code:
#!/bin/sh
prefix=`cat /etc/radvd.conf|grep "RDNSS"|sed -e 's/.*RDNSS.//'| cut -d: -f1-4 -s`

sed -i -e '10s/\(prefix*\).*/\1 '"$prefix"'::\/64 {/\' /etc/radvd.conf

As I discovered, the RDNSS line in radvd.conf is always configured correctly with the LAN IPv6 IP, so I am extracting the actual LAN Prefix from it and replacing the wrong one before radvd starts.

I hope this can fixed in the firmware eventually.

Last edited:
I am having performance decrease on samba, really slow now.

How can i make it fast as previous firmwares ?

Is it by a lot or slight? Before what speed you getting, now what speed?

I did not calculate the speed difference but i used to be able to watch videos from my nas, now it stutters.

This is strange because the main difference in the ...48 firmware as far as Samba goes, is that you now have the OPTION of changing the Samba protocol to a much newer level, with a bit less peak performance. You have to know what you're doing in terms of getting to a Unix prompt to hoist the router Samba level upward, it's not a change that would happen without you knowing it.

But the default Samba operation is basically unchanged. None of this is to say that your Samba operation isn't slower now, it appears that you find it to be slower. Would merely guess that there is something else besides the Samba subsystem that is "wrong" now.

Just made a quick trip to official .3626. Both shares and NTP worked flawlessly. So the culprit is the new bootloader (hard to guess) or some differences in kernel?

I updated my router from version 376.45 to 376.48 with a factory reset afterwards.
Everything went successfully, so I re-configured all of my previous settings and when I was done, I logged out, and did I final manual reboot to my router.
But then the weird thing started to happen, when I tried to reboot my router, the router factory resetted itself on powering up, even when I tried unplugging the power cord. They both gave the same result.

So after digging up some info about resetting the router, I came across this site ( http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-1731711/asus-n56u-resets-factory-default.html ) with someone that has the same related problem as me.

So after I read it, I did the 2nd method of hard resetting:
Quote:
äPower off the router then power on while holding the reset button to put the router into recovery mode.

Now launch your web browser while connected via ethernet cable to launch the router config which will display the options to reset (clear) nvram to defaults, reboot router, or upload a firmware file.

Click on restore nvram then after that completes, click reboot router this should perform the hard reset

After I did that, I reflashed the latest firmware again, and after it successfully flashed again, I performed another hard reset, and after that, the modem did not resetted itself to factory defaults again when I rebooted the router.

So my question is; how could this even happen in the first place? That my router resetted itself to factory defaults on a reboot, even though the firmware upgrade went successfully.

Cheers!

Last edited:
This is strange because the main difference in the ...48 firmware as far as Samba goes, is that you now have the OPTION of changing the Samba protocol to a much newer level, with a bit less peak performance. You have to know what you're doing in terms of getting to a Unix prompt to hoist the router Samba level upward, it's not a change that would happen without you knowing it.

But the default Samba operation is basically unchanged. None of this is to say that your Samba operation isn't slower now, it appears that you find it to be slower. Would merely guess that there is something else besides the Samba subsystem that is "wrong" now.

This version is using a new samba version and the performance decrease can be the reason, how can i downgrade it ?

Unable to flash firmware

I tried flashing on top of the 376.47 but I am getting an error message:
"Firmware upgrade unsuccessfully. It may result from incorrect image or error transmission. Please check the version of firmware and try again."

I have never encountered this before. I checked the hash values and they came back correct.

I have reset router back to defaults using GUI and same result.
Any ideas?

I tried flashing on top of the 376.47 but I am getting an error message:
"Firmware upgrade unsuccessfully. It may result from incorrect image or error transmission. Please check the version of firmware and try again."

I have never encountered this before. I checked the hash values and they came back correct.

I have reset router back to defaults using GUI and same result.
Any ideas?

Boot the router with no USB disk plugged in, in case your router is running too low on memory due to media server/SMB sharing/etc...

This version is using a new samba version and the performance decrease can be the reason, how can i downgrade it ?
could you explain how you know what Samba protocol version the clients of your Merlin firmware router are using? How do you know what Samba version is being used by your computers? It takes a decent amount of technical knowledge to find out the answer to this question.

Am asking because it also takes a fair amount of technical knowledge to even activate the newer version of Samba protocol in the latest ...48 firmware. To be perfectly clear, the higher, slightly slower version of Samba that the ...48 firmware is capable of using is absolutely positively not available unless you have given special commands to the router over an SSH secure shell connection at a Linux prompt to enable the version 2 machinery.

Thank you for your reply but I don't have any usb disks plugged in.

Disable any security software, try a different browser, and make sure you are flashing the firmware for the correct router model.

DDNS problems

Just a heads up, I upgraded to 376.48 and everything fine, however I noticed my DDNS stopped working. I thought it might have been an asuscomm.com problem so I signed up to no-ip, however that was also not working.

I then downgraded to 376.47 and DDNS is working again for both asuscomm.com and no-ip.

Just a heads up, I upgraded to 376.48 and everything fine, however I noticed my DDNS stopped working. I thought it might have been an asuscomm.com problem so I signed up to no-ip, however that was also not working.

I then downgraded to 376.47 and DDNS is working again for both asuscomm.com and no-ip.

Hello,
I confirm I have no problem with xxxx.asuscomm.com DDNS on my ASUS RT AC87U with the .48 FW ...

DMZ performances in .48 FW on AC87U ...

Hello,
I've just purchased the AC87U and I ran it with ASUS's original latest stock firmware and everything was working fine.

Then I moved to the .48 from Merlin and I got some problems accessing the internet from the SYNOLOGY NAS, which is mapped to stay onto the DMZ, just to be sure all the ports are open.

Unfortunately that happed on the same day that Synology released the 5.1 version of the Disk Station Manager ... so now I'm a little bit confused.

Anyway, ... is there any particular point of the setup I should check or is there any known issue on the DMZ handling ?

Thanks and regards.

Missing wireless settings

Hi All,

I with 376.48_1 I can't access my wireless settings... I couldn't fix this with the suggested nvram settings a few pages ago...

As you can see in the attached screenshot, the drop-down menu shows only 5G, but the settings below are for my 2.4G wifi.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• 2014-11-18_20-08-44.jpg
    2014-11-18_20-08-44.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 492
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!