What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 376.49 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I have NAT acceleration (CTF) enabled and yet all traffic monitoring features and (from an earlier post) parental control features appear to be working perfectly! :confused:

If you enable IPTraffic, then NAT acceleration automatically gets disabled.

Thanks but no thanks, I see no reason to since the actual radio works, and in my case only the 2nd SSID fails to display, the 1st one still has spaces and displays fine. And this is not the MSDOS era of 8.3 names anymore.
Dude, that is a well-documented issue. As a matter of fact, RMerlin ADVISED someone to remove spaces in SSID's, in this very thread? see http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/sh...=21483&page=15.

This is not a "beat up on you" deal. Quite honestly I do not understand your stubborn refusal to even consider it. So keep having issues then. If you do not like the answer then I suggest that you not ask the question.
http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=21483&page=15

Merlin when I took my class in Cisco and MS that covered DHCP over 10 years ago the method of having a dynamic pool and a static reservations were covered in details. You can have the DHCP server hand reserved addresses outside of the dynamic ranges and the techniques I have been using are handled just fine in DNSMasq, MS DNS/DHCP, and Cisco DHCP.

Windows 2008 Server R2 no longer allows that (I was actually on a KB article earlier today detailing that, as I was trying to find best pratice guides from various sources).

I think a "fix" would be to not allow people to create reservations outside of the DHCP scope. This is how I have seen it handled in other home routers.

That would be the next logical step, however with the number of users who do have reservations outside the scope, this would create far too many issues. I'd be more inclined toward easing up the current restriction on the max number of leases rather than clamping it down even further.

I need to read up more on the max lease setting to see if there's any good reason to implement it at all. It's not as if people were using a /16 subnet and wanted to limit the router to a maximum of, say, 255 leases for performance reasons.

It was the first thing I did when I got it 3 months ago. I installed 376-47, then 376-48 and 376-49-2. But it does not accept any other firmware anymore. Any ideas?
Have you tried using the fimware recovery utility after putting the rouetr into recovery mode? Excuse me if you have already tried. Whenever I have any issue at all involving flashing I always use this method to make things right.

Also, try clearing the NVRAM by pressing and holding the WPS button with the router powered off, continue holding the WPS button while powering the router up and release after 8-10 seconds. You should see the power LED pulsate rapidly indicating the NVRAM is being erased. Then manually re-enter your configuration settings or use that nice utility John (the author of the Merlin 374.43 fork) has been kind enough to provide in the AsusWRT-Merlin forum.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Have you tried using the fimware recovery utility after putting the rouetr into recovery mode? Excuse me if you have already tried. Whenever I have any issue at all involving flashing I always use this method to make things right.

Also, try clearing the NVRAM by pressing and holding the WPS button with the router powered off, continue holding the WPS button while powering the router up and release after 8-10 seconds. You should see the power LED pulsate rapidly indicating the NVRAM is being erased. Then manually re-enter your configuration settings or use that nice utility John (the author of the Merlin 374.43 fork) has been king enough to provide in the Asus WRT-Merlin forum.

Good luck!

Thank you. I did the reset. Only thing I did not do is recovery. Maybe tomorrow. It works good in 376-49-2

376.49_4 has been uploaded to Mediafire.

Code:
FIXED: WAN page error when entering a hostname, and broken UPNP FAQ link

FIXED: OpenVPN Server wasn't showing the Advertize DNS to Client option (regression from 3677 merge)

FIXED: bootloop when enabling Traditional QoS (or any other feature that forces CTF to be disabled) due to FA being left enabled (Asus bug) (AC87)

Thank you Merlin...

I've been using this firmware on my RT-AC87 and it's still rebooting itself...

It seems it can't stay up for like 5 or 6 hours before it reboots...

Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you,

Dragster

Windows 2008 Server R2 no longer allows that (I was actually on a KB article earlier today detailing that, as I was trying to find best pratice guides from various sources).

I will look around work when I am back in the office to see what we used to create our best practices I know that our solution is a combination of Dynamic DNS and DHCP and have migrated away from MS DNS but we do have a lot of custom configuration utilities in place to manage the environment that integrates MS, Cisco, and directory services.

This is what I found on the manpage of DNSMasq, I highlighted the defining of static's outside of the DHCP pool:
-G, --dhcp-host=[<hwaddr>][,id:<client_id>|*][,set:<tag>][,<ipaddr>][,<hostname>][,<lease_time>][,ignore]​

Specify per host parameters for the DHCP server. This allows a machine with a particular hardware address to be always allocated the same hostname, IP address and lease time. A hostname specified like this overrides any supplied by the DHCP client on the machine. It is also allowable to omit the hardware address and include the hostname, in which case the IP address and lease times will apply to any machine claiming that name. For example --dhcp-host=00:20:e0:3b:13:af,wap,infinite tells dnsmasq to give the machine with hardware address 00:20:e0:3b:13:af the name wap, and an infinite DHCP lease. --dhcp-host=lap,192.168.0.199 tells dnsmasq to always allocate the machine lap the IP address 192.168.0.199.

Addresses allocated like this are not constrained to be in the range given by the --dhcp-range option, but they must be in the same subnet as some valid dhcp-range. For subnets which don't need a pool of dynamically allocated addresses, use the "static" keyword in the dhcp-range declaration.​

WebUI

I noticed that in a few cases, the webui gets stuck at the spinning wheel/processing logo when you make changes. The actual changes go through, but the page doesn't update. I did an nvram erase before and after flashing. Noticed this on Chrome + Windows. Haven't tested other browsers and operating systems yet.

Last edited:
It seems to be a problem with MAC clone function. After a soft or hardware reboot, the cloned MAC is not applied even it's still there. I have to manually copy, paste and hit Apply to kick in. Annoying if you're out of town and the router reboots. :)

Hello,
Yesterday, I installed the new Firmware RT-AC87U_3.0.0.4_376.49_4 on my AC87 Router.
Then after exactly 24 hour -> game over.
I can't connect to the web interface.
I can't ping to the router.
I have to switch the power off/on and it works again.

Last week I installed the Firmware RT-AC87U_3.0.0.4_376.49 and Firmware RT-AC87U_3.0.0.4_376.49_2:
Then after: Connect time 1440.0 minutes (syslog)
The router disconnects the WAN, but made no auto connect to the WAN.
I can reboot over the WebGUI and it works again (for 24 hour).

I have a German provider (PPOE) and I think they make a forced disconnection.

Is there something wrong with the WAN-settings?

What I not understand:
I am the only one that has this problem?

With my previous router (another brand), I had not such problems.

Possibly, there is a solution for this issue.

Am surprised you have been able to install any Merlin firmware at all. Wonder if anyone has figured out how to upgrade the TM-1900 in general.

One would have to modify an RT-AC68U CFE with their TM-AC1900's MAC addresses and flash the CFE over the TM-AC1900's. I did it a month ago and it worked perfectly. Not sure, but if someone flashed to merlin on a TM-AC1900 without CFE flashing, then they are still locked on the 667mhz DDR3 (which would be reason to flash to an 800mhz "unlocked" CFE if a person wanted it).

On-topic of thread:

I found an issue with the new DHCPv6 server option in 49_x. If I enable it, all of my devices lose IPv6 connectivity after 5~ minutes (which is what I think someone else in this thread/forum was talking about). I disable it and it works for days (but no v6 DNS addresses in NIC status). The "DHCPADVERTISE (br0): no available addresses" messages that were spammed in the system log also go away.

EDIT: Did another nvram reset. fixed.

Last edited:
One would have to modify an RT-AC68U CFE with their TM-AC1900's MAC addresses and flash the CFE over the TM-AC1900's. I did it a month ago and it worked perfectly. Not sure, but if someone flashed to merlin on a TM-AC1900 without CFE flashing, then they are still locked on the 667mhz DDR3 (which would be reason to flash to an 800mhz "unlocked" CFE if a person wanted it).

Or if you got one as I did with the 1st generation of T-Mobile firmware that still allowed you to flash non-t-mobile firmware.

Sam
RT-AC68P-main router
TM-AC1900- wired access point

Updated today, factory reset then used nvram back up utility.

All went well My speed seem to little faster with QOS enabled (speeds actual break 110mbits now before 108 was max i could get) not by much but it noticeable.

Bug in Client status is still there Wired clients still listing as 5 (static) clients when there is really only 2 (actual tab button list wired (5) ) The wired window actual show only 2 clients) it the tab button that lists it wrong

Last edited:
I've been trying to get PIA to work on my RTN66R via OpenVPN since 376.48_3, but after applying the settings, I cannot get Service State to remain on.

I've tried several guides, but haven't had any luck. Is there an .ovpn file available? The ones on PIA's site do not work, but they may be used for Tomato only, I'm not sure.

EDIT: It seems I was pasting the Cert in the Client Certificate field, not Certificate Authority. It works perfectly when you do it right!

Last edited:
Is anyone else having trouble with the Asus ddns on 376.49_4? Seems like it was working on 376.49_2. I'm on an AC68u. Reset nvram before upgrading.

Is anyone else having trouble with the Asus ddns on 376.49_4? Seems like it was working on 376.49_2. I'm on an AC68u. Reset nvram before upgrading.

No problem here with DDNS, but...

I have two RT-AC68U's on the first one... I was making some basic configuration changes (like SSID and passwords), and it just quit responding. I thought I "bricked it". I tried to restore to factory defaults, and nothing. The firmware recovery utility wouldn't respond after a few tries, and then it did... I was able to "re-load" 49_2, and then it started working again. Not factory default bu, right where I left off. That one has been turned off since a couple of nights ago.

Today, I noticed that the "second" router that I have, it wouldn't let me log into it from the LAN side (same firmware 49_2). I even tried rebooting it a couple of times, and nothing, but at least, the router works. On the other hand, I am able to log-in to it from the WAN side (public IP). I upgraded the firmware to 49_4, and still the same same thing. I cannot log into it from the LAN side. Hmmmm.....

One more thing... Hardware acceleration is OFF. I hope this doesn't have anything to do with the NAT loopback "fix" that seemed to be implemented a couple of versions ago. I'm afraid to turn Hardware acceleration ON, to check, for fear that I could be totally locked out.

Thank you Merlin...

I've been using this firmware on my RT-AC87 and it's still rebooting itself...

It seems it can't stay up for like 5 or 6 hours before it reboots...

Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you,

Dragster

Quoting myself...

The router (RT-AC87U) has been up for 19 hours now without a problem, so the last reset it had was probably due to a power issue at home rather than a problem of the router itself. Sorry for my misleading previous post.

Cheers,

Dragster.

While switching the AC87 from Router Mode to Access Point Mode I observed unusual behavior. Before switching, the router was set to IP address 192.168.2.9 for Lan. After switching to Access Point Mode even though it was given the same IP address it rebooted with an IP address of 1.1.1.1

This required Device Discovery to find it.

Update: Logged into the AC87 with an IP of 1.1.1.1 and noticed on the Lan tab that the IP address is displayed as 192.168.2.22 which looks like it came from DHCP pool of my router even though "Get Lan IP automatically" is set to "No". br0 from ifconfig follows:

br0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 78:24:XX:XX:XX:XX
inet addr:192.168.2.22 Bcast:192.168.2.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:19608 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:20246 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:1771477 (1.6 MiB) TX bytes:12721185 (12.1 MiB)

br0:0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 78:24:XX:XX:XX:XX
inet addr:169.254.39.25 Bcast:169.254.39.255 Mask:255.255.255.0

br0:1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 78:24:XX:XX:XX:XX
inet addr:1.1.1.1 Bcast:1.1.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0

Merlin, thanks for all your hard work on this firmware!

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!