What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 378.50 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

from the beginning I expect, ignored it the 1st time and put it down to the PC needing a reboot.

If it happens to you again, type in telnet "vi /etc/smb.conf". You should see that it's shorter than when it works.

Edit: of course if it's the same as I have, you may want to reboot a few times and eventually you'll see what I described.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I understand we have to do a Factory Default Reset, coming from 49_5. Is it okay to use the GUI at ADMINISTRATION/Restore/Save/Upload Setting Factory default Restore. Or does one have to use the WPS button or Reset button on the RT-AC66U?

I also hesitated and since I read about some issues from some other users, I didn't take a chance and did as follows (this afternoon):
1- Unplugged all Ethernet cables and my USB key
2- Pressed Reset button for about 20 sec while router was still on (and running 49_5)
3- When it completed its factory restore, connected a laptop directly in one of the LAN port. It got a DHCP address in the 192.168.1.x subnet
4- Reconnected my WAN cable
5- Went through basic setup
6- Flashed 50_0
7- Redid all the above (1 to 5)
8- Changed the LAN IP back to my standard 192.168.x.254
9- Replugged all LAN cables + USB key
10- Rebooted
11- Accessed the router from my desktop and re-entered all my previous settings (I took screen captures before step 1)

So far, all is fine on my AC-66U

Hey guys, I have an N66u that I want to flash to merlins. It is on the latest stock firmware 3.0.0.4.376_3754 right now. When I flashed to .50 yesterday and the Internet would work only for about 5-10 minutes and then I would not have connection anymore after that.

Before and After flashing, I do a manual reset. Do I need to clear the NVRAM as well in order to have this working successfully?

Last edited:
I also hesitated and since I read about some issues from some other users, I didn't take a chance and did as follows (this afternoon):
1- Unplugged all Ethernet cables and my USB key
2- Pressed Reset button for about 20 sec while router was still on (and running 49_5)
3- When it completed its factory restore, connected a laptop directly in one of the LAN port. It got a DHCP address in the 192.168.1.x subnet
4- Reconnected my WAN cable
5- Went through basic setup
6- Flashed 50_0
7- Redid all the above (1 to 5)
8- Changed the LAN IP back to my standard 192.168.x.254
9- Replugged all LAN cables + USB key
10- Rebooted
11- Accessed the router from my desktop and re-entered all my previous settings (I took screen captures before step 1)

So far, all is fine on my AC-66U

I flashed 50_0 then went to the GUI and clicked on "Factory Default - Restore" followed by setup. Seems to be working just great, hope I didn't bork anything doing it the lazy man's way. :eek: We just finished streaming Mocking Jay Part 1 in 720P.... flawless. :D

AIProtection and Asus Transformer

I would first like to thank Merlin for all his work with this latest release. He and the developers at Linksysinfo.org are the reason why I prefer Asus products.

I just purchased the AC68U; flashed .50 without any problems. I decided to enable AiProtection. About an hour afterwards, I was informed by my wife that her Asus Transformer T100TA (Windows 8.1) could not connect to specific sites, such as, Bank of America. She is using Chrome as her main browser. With a lot of fooling around with the Transformer and the AC68U, I found that if I enabled any option in AiProtection, this issue would occur. Disabling AiProtection, the problem went away. While trying to determine what was going on, I also tried using Firefox and the symptoms were even worse ... the browser would not open at all until AiProtection was turned off and the network connection was reset. With both browsers, I disabled all plugins/extensions, which did not help in anyway. Of course this issue did not occur on my main machine.

Any suggestions to alleviate this issue if I turn AiProtection back on? Getting rid of the Transformer is not one of them ... she loves the thing.

Last edited:
I would first like to thank Merlin for all his work with this latest release. He and the developers at Linksysinfo.org are the reason why I prefer Asus products.

I just purchased the AC68U; flashed .50 without any problems. I decided to enable AiProtection. About an hour afterwards, I was informed by my wife that her Asus Transformer T100TA (Windows 8.1) could not connect to specific sites, such as, Bank of America. She is using Chrome as her main browser. With a lot of fooling around with the Transformer and the AC68U, I found that if I enabled any option in AiProtection, this issue would occur. Disabling AiProtection, the problem went away. While trying to determine what was going on, I also tried using Firefox and the symptoms were even worse ... the browser would not open at all until AiProtection was turned off and the network connection was reset. With both browsers, I disabled all plugins/extensions, which did not help in anyway. Of course this issue did not occur on my main machine.

Any suggestions to alleviate this issue if I turn AiProtection back on? Getting rid of the Transformer is not one of them ... she loves the thing.

Make a scan on her Transformer to ensure she isn't affected by Superfish. BankofAmerica was one of the sites that was affected by it. It's possible AiProtection might now be able to detect the use of the compromised certificate used by Superfish (just a guess).

Those values are not for bandwidth throttling, they are strictly for calculations, so the various QoS rules know how much bandwidth to allocate to each class, as they are configured as percentages. They are not used for bandwidth capping.

However, modifying these values do have an impact on WLAN to LAN throughput in my case (using Adaptive QOS).

If I set the values to 0.9mb up/6.8mbps down (my current ADSL BW), iperf throughput between my laptop and server drops from 330mbps to 5-6mbps. My laptop is connected to the 5G band and my server connected via GigE.

I think I have two issues with this release. I come from 374.40 and I've done a factory reset.
1) the 3g modem (which worked well in failover mode) now appears disconnected in the web GUI. However, it connects as soon as the primary wan goes down. So it actually works, but shouldn't it stay in standby and not disconnected?
Note that the 3g modem also disconnects after failback (no standby).
2) sometimes smb.conf is not properly created at boot: only the first 42 lines, while they should be 88. The 43rd is where the first shared directory should be. As a result the network disk can't be browsed, of course. The disk is mounted correctly by the router, it's just the smb.conf which is incomplete.

PS: this is on a RT-N66U.

Update: about number 1), if I input "ifconfig" in telnet I see there is no ppp1 interface. It gets created as soon as the primary wan goes down.
Update2: about number 2), it doesn't always happen. Could it be that the smb.conf file is created too early (when the disk is still mounting)?

Rolled back to 374.40 and no issues here. I've also tried 376.49, but same issues there.

Any hint?
I understand number 1) was already known and is Asus's fault.
But what about number two? Is it something related to Merlin's code? Maybe a timing issue (smb.conf created too early)?

Does anybody have an IPV6 connection via PPPoE through a VLAN?

I'm not having success getting an IPV6 from this connection.
Should Dual WAN be the issue?

Thanks! There was a blankspace in a HP Procurve Switch network name, since I changed it, everything seems to be ok in the network--map! :)

Make sure you don't have a client configured with a non-standard name (i.e. containing quotes, for example).

If you open the web browser's error console you might be able to see what's causing the Javascript code to break.

The Asuswrt Networkmap is simply not very reliable or stable at this time. A lot of issues were fixed over the years, but it's still not something I would put too much reliance upon. The whole Networkmap design needs to be scrapped and reworked from the ground up IMHO.

Is there any way to use telnet to force the wifi power over 100%? like 120-130%?

Thanks!

You can get a custom firmware that allows for more than 80mv...think you can get up to 716mv however, I only use 200mv and it's 50% of the slider...

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Does anyone else have problems with having to re-submit port forwarding rules everyday in order for it to work? I'm using the 378_50 on an AC-87U.

Last edited:
can anyone help me out here.. it drives me nuts..

i still loosing my connection multiple times a day..and the only thing that i can do about it is reboot it manualy whit power it off and on!!

(3th time that i post this so sorry but i need help with this)

Hi guys.

i use the merlin firmware for the begiunning i guess first on my n66u and now on my ac87u

but since last update i have connection problems.

every day my connection is lost.. no access on wan (none of the ipcamera's work or my ftp server, and also my nas is not reaschable)

also the 5GHz wifi drops very often.

i did a full reset before and after is installed the xxx.50 update but it keeps doing the same (i dind't restore anything i manualy configurated everything)

any help? maybe i am doing something wrong.

Sorry for my bad english.. i did my best

can anyone help me out here.. it drives me nuts..

i still loosing my connection multiple times a day..and the only thing that i can do about it is reboot it manualy whit power it off and on!!

(3th time that i post this so sorry but i need help with this).......

.........any help? maybe i am doing something wrong.

Sorry for my bad english.. i did my best

Sorry you are having this problem. Your English is good enough to get the message across. I have no suggestions to offer except that if I had the same problem and was getting nowhere, as you seem to be, I'd want to re-establish a base line by re-flashing the same version of the firmware I had before the upgrade, doing a factory reset, then manually reconfiguring all my settings. Then I should, in theory, be back to where I started before the problem occurred, and I'd want to check are the problems still there or did they disappear. If I was sure everything was working properly, after a couple of days I would try the upgrade again. If the problems were still there after reverting back to the earlier firmware, I'd be thinking the problem was not with the upgrade.

By the way, you didn't say exactly which router the problem was with; I inferred it was with the AC87U, and the n66U either works with the latest firmware or you did not upgrade the n66u router.

And when you say "loosing my connection" - is that the wifi connection(s) or the connection to the Internet. Any similarity to the symptoms here?:

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=22929

Martin

Last edited:
@L&LD, Interesting read. I too use inssider and Ch 1 would seem to be the best according to it, however no matter what I always come back to ch 11 and have the best results. I am in a residential neighborhood with a ton of wifi networks (one of which has main and guest network on 40mhz stepping on everybody) so 2.4 is a bit crowded. Only like three 5ghz networks shown in router site survey in and all are on 153. My ASUS AC66R (Merlin 378.50) seems to wants to pick that one too when on auto, once in a while I will see 149. I have manually set it for 157 just because.

My Inssider always recommends channel 36 for my 5Ghz which I find odd, as there are only 4 other SSID's in my neighborhood I see in the app, and they are all using 157. I would think something like 149 would be recommended, not a low channel like 36.

However, modifying these values do have an impact on WLAN to LAN throughput in my case (using Adaptive QOS).

If I set the values to 0.9mb up/6.8mbps down (my current ADSL BW), iperf throughput between my laptop and server drops from 330mbps to 5-6mbps. My laptop is connected to the 5G band and my server connected via GigE.

I'm facing exactly the same issue on my ac68u, I'm running 378.50 and I did a full reset after the upgrade. I'm also experiencing flaky wifi in 5Ghz band in the higher frequencies.

Best regards,

Is anyone having trouble with 378.50 and connecting to some hostnames?
It's not consistent, it happens to sites even like amazon.com sometimes won't load. Browser gives me a complete error saying it couldn't resolve the site.

However, sometimes it's not an issue with the entire site. Sometimes just some resources like css and js files are returning 404s so styling on sites are messed up in layout and formatting.

This also happens on my iphone when I'm connected by wifi. As soon as the problem hits, if I toggle wifi and go to LTE, it works right away. Toggle back to wifi, it fails.

Anyone else having this issue? This only started when i upgraded to 378.50 (yes, I did a full reset per the firmware instructions).

Is anyone having trouble with 378.50 and connecting to some hostnames?

It's not consistent, it happens to sites even like amazon.com sometimes won't load. Browser gives me a complete error saying it couldn't resolve the site.

Are you running the peerguardian style scripts from the following link?

https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki/Using-ipset

When I first installed this script it worked okay, but recently the block list used appears to have had more IP addresses added that relate to digital rights owners. So I was experiencing exactly the same intermittent issues as yourself.

Disable the script & reboot & see if that makes things work again...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!