What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 378.51 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

For devices that are assigned a non-static IP address, the symbol is an unlocked lock. For a device that has a manually or statically assigned IP address, the IP address is "bound" to the MAC address, so you get the locked lock symbol.

Ok I see thanks very much.

ah just checked and no matter if my devices are assigned static or non static they all have a little unlocked padlock in the the device info (where you click on the device symbol). So I dont think its anything to do with that?

Happy Weekend all!

I have an AC68U, any reason I shouldn't update to this firmware? My use is pretty basic, I have a bridged modem into the router, 68 does all routing. Assigned IP's for devices, which range from NAS (Synology) to Apple TV, Roku, etc. We use the 2.4 and 5.0 bands fairly heavily and range/throughput are concerns.

I'd be coming from 374.43_2 and of course would be resetting to factory and manually re-entering settings after update.

Thanks!
Mike

thanks for quick reply

ok, but why ac7260 only connects to 351Mbps when selecting channels 36 40 44? im the only 5hgz AP in the area

what RX/TX mean in that table? Rx is the receive speed of the router or client?
Can it be because the tv is N 5ghz and laptop is AC 5GHz?

The 5 GHz band speed will drop radically as you get through obstacles. My own laptop with a 7260AC has no issue hitting over 700 Mbps while in the same room.

RX is the reception link speed on the router.

Keep in mind that both values are dynamic, and will vary based on use, due to power management.

Hello, using merlins latest 378.51 on my RT-N66U and have found great gains on the 5 GHz band BUT my 2.4 GHz band has taken a huge hit.
I cleared the nvram as I always do, and was coming from 378.50. Rebooted modem and router, and all settings were entered manually. I have made no changes to my settings (same as always) used primarily for basic wireless.
But cannot believe how bad the 2.4 GHz is now! Anyone else experiencing any dramatic performance drops on the 2.4 GHz band?

The RT-N66U wireless driver hasn't changed since December 2014. Your issue is most likely a local source of interference if truly you didn't change any setting and didn't mess with the bootloader's regions codes.

Have always used channel 1 because it has the least amount of traffic in my environment. But it seems to fluctuate?? I get good speeds results one min and then they drop right off? I'm going to give it another day or 2 to settle in before reverting back to .50

Thanks for your response

If something else is communicating on the same frequency, the issue will mostly appear while that other device is also communicating. That's why you can, for example, have five routers sharing the same channel but with next to no wireless transfers without having any performance issue, however switching to another channel with only one single neighbour but who is constantly transferring will have a major impact on your performance.

Hi

I had Problems with the dlna Server on the 378.51 FW. I cant find the Server on my xbox one, but when i log in the Router and switch the Server off and back on then i get Access to My files. With the 378.50ta FW there wehre no problem.

My router is a AC87U

how can i fix the problem?

Quite likely that something is causing your DLNA server to crash. This can often happen if one of the media files the server is trying to process is corrupted, or if your hard disk is going into sleep mode and having trouble coming out of sleep mode fast enough.

The DLNA server code wasn't changed since mid-January.

I had the same behavior on an RT-AC56U with 378.51_dpi in router mode with JFFS partition disabled and Traffic statistic ON. It does not seem to be a normal behavior (I mean the loss of the web interface) if I access Traffic Analyzer tab even under these conditions. It seems like a bug to me.

And as I said, the JFFS partition MUST be enabled, otherwise the httpd server can crash as the server is trying to access the database there. Just enable the partition. Traffic Analyzer's engine is closed source, I have little control over its behaviour.

I have an AC68U, any reason I shouldn't update to this firmware? My use is pretty basic, I have a bridged modem into the router, 68 does all routing.
Hi Mike,

You can read and discuss it in the Any reason to upgrade ? thread... :rolleyes:

With kind regards
Joe :cool:

Using an apostrophe in a device name or an SSID is never a good idea. It's invalid in a hostname, and quite a few devices will have problems if it's in the SSID. The RT-AC87U for instance will have stability issues with the 5 GHz band if an apostrophe is used there.
I would append that to "Using any non-alpha character than perhaps a dash or underscore". Even then, I don't use either of those either in my SSIDs. To those not familiar with enterprise networking (which doesn't include RMerlin) using non-alpha characters other than those in hostnames violates best practice and can cause all sorts of odd issues; a number of software configurations won't even allow it.

EDIT: I read further RMerlin, and see you addressed this. I sometimes wish ASUS and others would just make most symbol characters a "can't do this" so people can't save them in fields like the SSID, router name, etc. in the first place.

Quite likely that something is causing your DLNA server to crash. This can often happen if one of the media files the server is trying to process is corrupted, or if your hard disk is going into sleep mode and having trouble coming out of sleep mode fast enough.

Ok thanks, It is an USB 3.0 stick, so I think that a file is corrupted. How can i check this?

Having a bit of issue with the Adaptive QoS page.

A PS4 is currently running a download so eating up quite a bit of the traffic - yet I don't see it reported on the page, the bars don't move at all. At one point, it reported my PC was using a lot of network data, so I tried digging into it to find what suddenly caused that and found nothing - it appears the PS4 download traffic had suddenly been associated with my PC under 'General' instead of the PS4 as it should have been.

The Traffic Monitor page shows the graphs as it should - with WAN/Wireless showing a large download.

This is with an AC68U

EDIT: Without doing anything but sitting on the page, it now reports it. http://prntscr.com/6gsura Obviously it is still very flakey about WHEN it decides to report it and how, as it won't report anything on a refresh for seemingly quite a while. Seems pretty unreliable so far though. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Ok thanks, It is an USB 3.0 stick, so I think that a file is corrupted. How can i check this?
Hi,

Either on the router itself (not recommended due to slow CPU and small memory): See Network Map / USB 3.0 / Health Scanner :eek:

Or you remove the Stick safely (on the router) and scan it on your PC. :rolleyes:

With kind regards

Hello Merlin,
first of all I like to say thank you for your work. But for AC87U I must say that DLNA realy not work O.K. It is not realy truth, that client can not find server, It can, but you must wait different time (some time 10min, some time 5min, some time it is visible without waiting - immediately). It is true that if you connect to router and restart DLNA server, then the server is visible immediately, but after about half hour, if you disconnect and want to connect again, you must wait, or restart. I know it, because I use the router to share stories for my son on some device in my house. He want to see stories in one room on Samsung TV, after few minutes he want to go to the another room and want to watch next story on LG TV, next hour somewhere on the tablet and so on. And you can try explain 3 years old boy, that he must wait when router will found .... :) I have RT16N too and when same disk was connected to this router it is no any problem for all your firmwares. Problem has only on AC87U with all firmwares (yours or original asus - it is the same problems).
Next problem for AC87U is in yours last firmware 378.51 - in AP mode menu USB Application is missing. It was rewrite by Traffic Analyzer menu. It is relevant only for your last firmware.

Best regard and thank you again,

Marek

Lately my openvpn client connection is not working. I have been waking up, and discovering I am not connected to vpn anymore. This is a big issue for me. I have narrowed it down to
Code:
rc_service: rc 914:notify_rc restart_wrs
in the log. I then tried all 3 loopback options - disabled, RMerlin, Asus. All the same, it connects to my VPN provider for a few seconds after reboot, then I get the rc restart in log, vpn says its still running on, but traffic is not routed through vpn.
I don't use any trend micro, and I also have tried toggling NAT acceleration between auto and off. (I prefer off)

I read in another thread this may be related to trend micro, should I revert to a firmware without it.? If I check to make sure I am not using QoS by selecting Adaptive Qos in sidebar it also breaks the vpn connection.
Code:
Mar 15 08:37:03 kernel: * Make sure sizeof(struct sw_struct)=160 is consistent
Mar 15 08:37:04 kernel: IDPfw: TrendMicro forward module ver-1.0.26
Mar 15 08:37:04 kernel: IDPfw: Apply module param dev_wan=eth0
Mar 15 08:37:04 kernel: IDPfw: Apply module param sess_num=30000
Mar 15 08:37:04 kernel: IDPfw: Init chrdev /dev/idpfw with major 191
Mar 15 08:37:04 kernel: IDPfw: IDPfw is ready
Mar 15 08:37:04 kernel: sizeof forward param = 160
Mar 15 08:37:58 kernel: DROP IN=eth0 OUT= MAC=10:5e:33:eb:2a:ba:24:a4:3c:89:32:54:08:00 SRC=205.185.216.10 DST=192.168.101.128 LEN=88 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=48 ID=39480 DF PROTO=TCP SPT=80 DPT=40459 SEQ=2528230723 ACK=3004075112 WINDOW=48 RES=0x00 ACK URGP=0 OPT (0101080AE33E301900188850)
Mar 15 08:38:26 kernel: IDPfw: Exit IDPfw
Mar 15 08:38:26 kernel: Stop the IPS/AppID engine...
Mar 15 08:38:26 kernel: mod epilog takes 0 jiffies
Mar 15 08:38:26 kernel: IDPfw: Exit IDPfw
Mar 15 08:38:26 kernel: Stop the IPS/AppID engine...
Mar 15 08:38:26 kernel: IDPfw: Exit chrdev /dev/idpfw with major 191
Mar 15 08:38:27 rc_service: bwdpi_check 608:notify_rc start_firewall
Mar 15 08:38:27 start_nat_rules: apply the nat_rules(/tmp/nat_rules_eth0_eth0)!
AC68U

Edit: I am having trouble now reproducing the above after a reboot. restart_wrs is missing now when I check the log after reboot. hmmm

Last edited:
Lately my openvpn client connection is not working. I have been waking up, and discovering I am not connected to vpn anymore. This is a big issue for me.
Code:
Mar 15 08:38:27 rc_service: bwdpi_check 608:notify_rc start_firewall
Mar 15 08:38:27 start_nat_rules: apply the nat_rules(/tmp/nat_rules_eth0_eth0)!
AC68U
Hi,

Maybe the firewall restart breaks your VPN... :rolleyes:

I also discovered the firewall restarts in the syslog on my main router and would be curious to understand why it happens.

With kind regards

Does anyone has high latency issues with 378.51? I'm no expert but have tried everything I can think of and the only way it works is by not using the router. Here is how it looks with the RT-N66U router (cable modem as bridge):

and how it looks when connecting directly the cable modem:

Any idea or suggestion is more than welcome as this has been driving me crazy! :p

I'm having problem with DLNA in my network, I was able to use ipad youtube app DLNA to my TV, but cannot in 387.51

I upgraded to this yesterday and everything seems pretty solid and the wireless connections seem fine, (8 devices all ok).
I did notice that when I tried to forward ports I could not use the "-" as a separator.
I had to write the ports in notepad++ i.e. 50000-50010 and then paste them in to the gui, but it worked fine and was accepted.
A small bug maybe?

Operation Mode:Wireless router Firmware:378.51

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!