What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 378.54_2 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whene come the next Build based on 3.0.0.4.378.6152?
The answer is always the same: When it's ready! :oops:

Keep in mind that Merlin does the job in his spare time and he has a normal live with higher priority!

With kind regards
Joe :cool:

It seems that Merlin's reply to the DLNA server confirms that the one built into the firmware is from Asus. To resolve the scanning issue, I suggest the the Media Server is disabled and install the minidlna from entware. As stated previously in my post in this thread, it seems that the start up script (not sure where) attempt to stop the Media Server when we disable it in the Web UI. This in turn stopped the minidlna installed via entware. To workaround this, I made the following scripts.

delayed-start-all
I placed this script in /opt/etc/init.d. If you placed it elsewhere, you'll need to edit the script.

Code:
#!/bin/sh

sleep 30
if grep -qs '/mnt/storage2' /proc/mounts; then
  "/opt/etc/init.d/rc.unslung" start
fi

if [ $1 -ne 0 ]
  then
    COUNT=$(expr $1 - 1)
    echo Queuing Start all services [queue left: $COUNT]
    /opt/etc/init.d/delayed-start-all $COUNT &
fi

The script,
  1. Sleep for 30 seconds.
  2. Check if storage2 is mounted. This is where my media files are located. You'll need to update this with the name of your partition.
  3. Check the script's parameter and queue the script if required.

post-mount
This script is located in /jffs/scripts. Edit it and append the following,

entware and the media files are in different partitions
Code:
case "$1" in
/tmp/mnt/OPT) echo "OPT mounted"
  # Enable swap file
  swapon UUID=7c56e90f-6049-4622-8353-5a057d100a2b

# Start services
  fi

# Queue to start services again (workaround for minidlna)
  "/opt/etc/init.d/delayed-start-all" 5 &
  ;;

/tmp/mnt/storage2) echo "storage2 mounted"
  if grep -qs '/mnt/OPT' /proc/mounts; then
  fi
  ;;
esac

entware and the media files are in the same partitions
Code:
case "$1" in
/tmp/mnt/OPT) echo "OPT mounted"
  # Enable swap file
  swapon UUID=7c56e90f-6049-4622-8353-5a057d100a2b

# Start services

# Queue to start services again (workaround for minidlna)
  "/opt/etc/init.d/delayed-start-all" 5 &
  ;;
esac

The script,
  1. Perform a switch case on the partition being mounted
  2. If the entware partition is mounted (change OPT to your entware partition label),
    1. Enable swap partition. Please change the UUID to yours.
    2. Check if storage2 has been mounted. Start all services if true.
    3. Queue "delayed-start-all" for 5 times.

3. If the media partition is mounted (change storage2 to your media partition label),
    1. Check if entware partition is already mounted and start all services if it had.

Important note:
  • Before starting minidlna, please make sure that the HDD partition(s) where you stored your media are mounted. Else, minidlna will assume that it has been removed and delete any media records related to it from the database, which in turn will cause a re-scanning.
  • If you use multiple partitions to store your media, nest the check code. Example,
    Code:
      if grep -qs '/mnt/storage1' /proc/mounts; then
          if grep -qs '/mnt/storage3' /proc/mounts; then
          fi
        fi
      fi

Last edited:
I did the same as you, but after flash back to 378.53_0 the problem remains cant se all the folder and files? How did you fix this? I did resets ad fabrics at least 10 time but still same problem?

i didnt do any resets.

i just enabled the media server from scratch again. Entered the manual media server path again.

It seems that Merlin's reply to the DLNA server confirms that the one built into the firmware is from Asus. To resolve the scanning issue, I suggest the the Media Server is disabled and install the minidlna from entware. As stated previously in my post in this thread, it seems that the start up script (not sure where) attempt to stop the Media Server when we disable it in the Web UI. This in turn stopped the minidlna installed via entware. To workaround this, I made the following scripts.

I appreciate your fix. Is is possible to implement it automatically?

It will be beneficial for the non-technical person.

everything is good on the latest update, except DLNA
it take DAYS to scan the movies folder, just like the official asus update :(

Older DLNA implementation toke about 7 to 10 minutes to scan the same folder.

I revert to older version because this issue.
PLZ use the older DLNA code on next build and everyting will be perfect.

thanks for the info! i just need a guide on how to install everything, inc. entware/minidlna from scratch, on my AC68P.

thanks for the info! i just need a guide on how to install everything, inc. entware/minidlna from scratch, on my AC68P.

entware installation guide can be found at https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki/Entware. However, on my RT-N66U, the startup script doesn't run the installed services/packages. I checked the script but couldn't make any sense of it. Perhaps due to my inexperience with Linux script.

Anyway, if you use the script I posted previously, it includes starting up all installed entware services/packages.

To install minidlna, just execute the following in SSH,
Code:
opkg install minidlna

You'll then need to configure minidlna by editing the configuration file /opt/etc/minidlna.conf

Hi all,

I'm having issue with WAN - Virtual Server / Port Forwarding where I set a forwarding for port 443 to the router (IP: 192.168.33.1) itself,
Code:
HTTPS Server    443    192.168.33.1    443    TCP

I have lighttpd listening at port 443.

Initially everything is working fine. I can connect to the HTTPS from external network. But suddenly I am not able to do so. Checking the page, I found that the setting is gone, meaning, the list is empty. I reinserted the port forwarding and it now doesn't work. Connecting to the router via SSH, I see the following,
Code:
me@RT-N66U:/tmp/home/root# iptables -L
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
target     prot opt source               destination
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere
ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere            udp dpt:51413
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            tcp dpt:51413
DROP       icmp --  anywhere             anywhere            icmp echo-request
DROP       all  --  anywhere             anywhere            state INVALID
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere            state RELATED,ESTABLISHED
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere            state NEW
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere            state NEW
ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere            udp spt:bootps dpt:bootpc
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            tcp dpt:1723
ACCEPT     gre  --  anywhere             anywhere
DROP       all  --  anywhere             anywhere

Chain FORWARD (policy DROP)
TCPMSS     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            tcp flags:SYN,RST/SYN TCPMSS clamp to PMTU
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere            state RELATED,ESTABLISHED
DROP       all  --  anywhere             anywhere            state INVALID
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            tcp flags:FIN,SYN,RST,ACK/SYN limit: avg 1/sec burst 5
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            tcp flags:FIN,SYN,RST,ACK/RST limit: avg 1/sec burst 5
ACCEPT     icmp --  anywhere             anywhere            icmp echo-request limit: avg 1/sec burst 5
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere            ctstate DNAT

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Chain FUPNP (0 references)

Chain PControls (0 references)

Chain logaccept (0 references)
LOG        all  --  anywhere             anywhere            state NEW LOG level warning tcp-sequence tcp-options ip-options prefix `ACCEPT '

Chain logdrop (0 references)
LOG        all  --  anywhere             anywhere            state NEW LOG level warning tcp-sequence tcp-options ip-options prefix `DROP '

From the iptables list, no port 443 is forwarded or accepted. Is there anything that can cause the setting in WAN - Virtual Server / Port Forwarding not applied?

Thanks.

I appreciate your fix. Is is possible to implement it automatically?

It will be beneficial for the non-technical person.
The only way is for Merlin to build the minidlna from entware into the firmware instead of the one from ASUS firmware. He may choose not to do so because it might break something else.

Having problems connecting to my VPN with either PPTP/L2TP client.. the logs show the below error with firmware 378.54_2 on a AC68U

Jun 22 22:52:29 pptp[1720]: LCP terminated by peer (MPPE required but peer negotiation failed)

Having problems connecting to my VPN with either PPTP/L2TP client.. the logs show the below error with firmware 378.54_2 on a AC68U

Jun 22 22:52:29 pptp[1720]: LCP terminated by peer (MPPE required but peer negotiation failed)

The error message is telling you precisely what's wrong - you need to enable MPPE-128 in your PPTP client.

tried leaving on auto or MMPE-128 but still gives Error! under PPTP/L2TP client status.

Also tried L2TP and getting these:

Jun 23 01:17:14 /usr/sbin/l2tpd[3094]: Too many retransmissions on tunnel (15325/0); closing down
Jun 23 01:17:47 /usr/sbin/l2tpd[3094]: Too many retransmissions on tunnel (39691/0); closing down
Jun 23 01:18:20 /usr/sbin/l2tpd[3094]: Too many retransmissions on tunnel (3490/0); closing down
Jun 23 01:18:53 /usr/sbin/l2tpd[3094]: Too many retransmissions on tunnel (64967/0); closing down
Jun 23 01:19:26 /usr/sbin/l2tpd[3094]: Too many retransmissions on tunnel (39468/0); closing down

entware installation guide can be found at https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki/Entware. However, on my RT-N66U, the startup script doesn't run the installed services/packages. I checked the script but couldn't make any sense of it. Perhaps due to my inexperience with Linux script.

Anyway, if you use the script I posted previously, it includes starting up all installed entware services/packages.

To install minidlna, just execute the following in SSH,
Code:
opkg install minidlna

You'll then need to configure minidlna by editing the configuration file /opt/etc/minidlna.conf

installing entware is easy, but setting up minidlna with nano is a little difficult for me. i might have to stick with the built in media server for now.

I've changed to dd-wrt on the Asus RT-AC66U for way better DLNA support in bridge mode. This firmware is snappy in regards to DLNA. The reading of folders is quick as for the Merlin/Asus FW it is slow and gets disconnected. Media Bridge is buggy on original FW.
As a bonus the channels on the 5Ghz band are opened so they correspond to the Asus RT-AC87U.
On the RT-AC87U I'm sticking to the superb Merlin FW!
I hope for better DLNA support from either Asus or maybe Merlin will use some of his genious on this task?

I have had to revert to 378.54_2 from 378.55_alpha2. The new 2.4GHz driver from Broadcom was not playing nicely with my wife's work laptop. I am not sure which adapter it uses and I suspect that the issue lies with the device driver for her WiFi adapter. At any rate once the wife laid down the law (my work laptop must connect to our WiFi) there was no choice. Since reverting, her laptop is connecting to the 2.4GHz band without issue. Ironically, 5GHz performance was fine.

You guys know the drill.

"Happy wife happy life!" :)

Hello Merlin,
I'm using a RT-AC87U.

After upgrading to 54_2, I did a factory reset + reconfiguration.
Everything went fine with 7 devices connected to the 2.4ghz and 5 to the 5ghz.
Then I decided to play with the wireless/professional/Enable wireless scheduler parameter. I'm not using it, so I try to disable it.
When I disable this parameter on the 5ghz page, the 5ghz don't restart (or it was too long for my patience :confused: ). I reboot the router and the 5 ghz was back, but only one device was connected. I try to re-enable/disable the parameter and reboot several times, nothing change, always only one device connected to the 5ghz.
Then I did a factory reset + reconfiguration and everything went back to normal with 5 devices connected to the 5ghz.
It's not critical, I can live with the default configuration, I'm just reporting the point.

Thx

I solved the DLNA problem on 378.55 alpha 2
I replaced dlna from 378.55 with dlna from 378.4850 and compiled the merlin firmware.

DLNA is working fine but there is a new problem.
378.55 have some ram usage problem.It always use more than 80% of ram.
I checked the processes and ALL processes use more ram than it should.

The firmware was working fine while i tested... but there is something wrong with the ram.

If anyone want's to try it, here it is: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/20895408/RT-AC68U_378.55_DLNA_OK.zip

Improving robustness of the scanner is something you should pitch to the minidlna developer. Traditionally, minidlna's scanner never was very robust. This has nothing to do with Asuswrt itself.

I have used minidlna on my nas running debian for maybe 5 years now.
Not once has it ever missed a beat.
I have not used it on my Asus router yet, not plan to.
Do you have example files that crash the scanner?

378.55 have some ram usage problem.It always use more than 80% of ram.
I checked the processes and ALL processes use more ram than it should.

First, this has nothing to do with the 378.54 thread. That thread is already long and messy enough, please don't add more to it.

It's Linux using that free RAM for caching and buffering. The RAM will get freed as processes start requiring it. This is the result of no longer having the router regularly flush out its buffers, which was doing nothing but impact overall performance as it constantly had to re-cache the data from flash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!