What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 378.54_2 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does someone have an example of a small 'invalid' file that kills the scanning they can attach?

It seems to be random, the DLNA client sees a longer/shorter file list each time after it stops.

Somebody else mentioned an OOM here: http://www.snbforums.com/threads/minidlna-ooms-on-378-54_2.25331/
I still see the minidlna processes running though (4 of them, if I remember correctly).

The older versions didn't have this problem though and minidlna scanned and streamed just fine - versions less than 378.5x from what I tested, including your fork, John.

The scanning process will get stuck because minidlna crashes, so it has no way of handling this - it's flat out crashed.

Improving robustness of the scanner is something you should pitch to the minidlna developer. Traditionally, minidlna's scanner never was very robust. This has nothing to do with Asuswrt itself.

If it's crashed, why do the processes still run? Is the scanning a different process?
Code:
admin@RT-AC68U:/tmp/home/root# ps | grep dlna
6616 admin     9300 S    minidlna -f /etc/minidlna.conf -R
6622 admin     9300 S    minidlna -f /etc/minidlna.conf -R
6623 admin     9300 S N  minidlna -f /etc/minidlna.conf -R
13339 admin     1376 D    grep dlna
This is after it gets "stuck".

Thanks for advice.
I've found that reset by holding down WPS and then power on is the best way of erasing memory/settings completely. Not to use the factory reset in menu/browser.

If it's crashed, why do the processes still run? Is the scanning a different process?
Code:
admin@RT-AC68U:/tmp/home/root# ps | grep dlna
6616 admin     9300 S    minidlna -f /etc/minidlna.conf -R
6622 admin     9300 S    minidlna -f /etc/minidlna.conf -R
6623 admin     9300 S N  minidlna -f /etc/minidlna.conf -R
13339 admin     1376 D    grep dlna
This is after it gets "stuck".

Then it could be stuck in a loop of some kind, it's impossible to tell just by looking at the process list.

This is a happy user success report concerning the item "OpenSSL upgraded from 1.0.0 to 1.0.2". I have my 54_2 connecting to two OpenVPN Linux servers (I do not run an OpenVPN server on the RT-AC66U). I was able to introduce "tls-version-min 1.2" into the config and the logs report
Control Channel: TLSv1.2, cipher TLSv1/SSLv3 DHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256, 3072 bit RSA
which is nice (though I wonder why it used DHE rather than ECDHE). The servers use 3072-bit DH parameter files, and this works with 54_2 just fine. The certificates, CA, etc. are in /jffs, and so size is no longer an issue, so I was able to use my normal 2-level 3072-bit RSA CA hierarchy rather the single-level 2048-bit one that I had created just for my ASUS OpenVPN clients (one less CA, yay!). That is an enormous improvement in functionality. I haven't yet tried switching to my EC CA (preferred over RSA for speed and size) but I hope to try that at some future time.

So thank you so much for this upgrade!

A previous post mentioned moving things to /jffs2. When you do implement that, please include instructions for how /jffs users should migrate to that brave new world.

Running version 378.54_2 on my AC56U. A small annoyance I keep seeing is that enabling Universal Beamforming does not survive a reboot. Whenever the router reboots, it defaults back to Disable. Anyone else notice this behavior?

Hi,

I'm using the Traffic Statistic function of the router to monitor data usage. However, all of the entries are listed by their MAC address, and not the host name. All clients have been given custom names in both the DHCP page and the network map client list.

AC68U.

Any ideas?

Control Channel: TLSv1.2, cipher TLSv1/SSLv3 DHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256, 3072 bit RSA
which is nice (though I wonder why it used DHE rather than ECDHE).

OpenVPN does not support EC yet.

A previous post mentioned moving things to /jffs2. When you do implement that, please include instructions for how /jffs users should migrate to that brave new world.

This is automatically done by the firmware, thanks to Asus's implementation. The first time you will boot into 378.55 and you start a VPN server or client, the key/certs will be stored in jffs, and their nvram content cleared.

Likewise concerning the 512-bit DH for those who were using the automatically generated one from Asus: I wrote some code so that the firmware will automatically replace any DH that's weaker than 1024-bit with a 2048-bit pre-generated DH.

Hi,

I'm using the Traffic Statistic function of the router to monitor data usage. However, all of the entries are listed by their MAC address, and not the host name. All clients have been given custom names in both the DHCP page and the network map client list.

AC68U.

Any ideas?

Make sure the router is acting as your DNS and DHCP server on your LAN.

Running version 378.54_2 on my AC56U. A small annoyance I keep seeing is that enabling Universal Beamforming does not survive a reboot. Whenever the router reboots, it defaults back to Disable. Anyone else notice this behavior?
I've had this from the very first boot of my AC56U, for some reason it never remembers this setting over several firmware versions for months now.

Thanks for advice.
I've found that reset by holding down WPS and then power on is the best way of erasing memory/settings completely. Not to use the factory reset in menu/browser.

Witch SW version are we talking about now with the WPS reset? I try that to still the same problem on my -68U

Last edited:
The minidlna package in Entware works fine, both scanning and streaming, with the logs and db stored on a USB flash drive.
If anyone else has trouble with the embedded one, you can give Entware a try.

Not even DLNA support on AC66U USB is stable. Hence the problem must be fw related?

Edit: AC66U in repeater mode and AC+N mixed was not a good idea. Setting it to "automatic" solved a lot of issues with speed and connections. Bridge mode is still buggy though.

Last edited:
Whene come the next Build based on 3.0.0.4.378.6152?

Here it is, the obligatory "when will the newest GPL from Asus be rolled into Asuswrt-Merlin?". o_O The answer is ridiculously simple, when it happens. :rolleyes:

Bugging Merlin with stupid questions (sorry, this is as stupid as it gets) just pisses him off. :mad: If he were to answer these stupid questions each time they arise then he would have hardly any time for development. :(

So please stop asking. :D

As you were. :cool:

Edit: This post is 100% tongue-in-cheek for those without sarcasm meters. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!