What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 378.55 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
For people having wifi performance related issue on AC56/AC68U, I would do factory reset and setup from scratch.

Wireless drivers updated (at least on AC56U). Always a good idea to factory reset to save yourselves from unnecessary troubles.

For people having wifi performance related issue on AC56/AC68U, I would do factory reset and setup from scratch.

Wireless drivers updated (at least on AC56U). Always a good idea to factory reset to save yourselves from unnecessary troubles.

I know but sometimes it is not necessary coming from a previous release, this will be the final try, getting back lots of settings from scratch is not so comfortable like reinstalling also entware for transmission.

Lucky you, did you do a factory default after upgrade? if you don't have problems doesn't mean that there are no issues, depends also how many devices you are connecting and how much the router is exploited...

No, I did not...
Only minor hiccup, that I actually had as a result, was that RT-N66U lost all it`s OpenVPN certificates.
Probably because it has very limited flash space, considering firmware size nowdays.

Well, about usage I have 6 Wireless devices + 4 wired ones, ipv6, IPTV, 300/300Mbit/s Internet link, approx 8K active connections, etc, etc...

And I don`t think someone currently exploits my router as I have locked it down pretty tight.

Hi, and thanks for the great firmware!

I’ve just changed my router from the AC66u to the AC68u for the improved features. Everything seems to working well apart from a small issue with the lack of data held in web history. The history only extends to a page on each client. Ideally I’d like to be able to store at least a weeks’ worth of data on each client, a month would be great. If this could be exported to a spread sheet even better ;)

With my limited knowledge I have read what I can read and setup the system as it should be. I have a custom location to a memory stick in the back of the router - /mnt/sda1/ . Firmware 378.55 replaced Asus factory default as a new firmware file.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

I know but sometimes it is not necessary coming from a previous release, this will be the final try, getting back lots of settings from scratch is not so comfortable like reinstalling also entware for transmission.

I upgraded to 378.55 primarily because wireless driver for AC56U is updated.(There are good reasons brcm/asus updates wireless driver for a not so latest product. )

Whenever Merlin mention wireless driver update in changelog AND applicable to me, I always do factory reset.

Jffs partition is preserved. Entware is on usb stick also not affected. A factory reset is not so inconvenient as people would believe.

Of course you have to do a little book keeping to save yourself from remembering essential details.

Jffs partition is preserved. Entware is on usb stick also not affected. A factory reset is not so inconvenient as people would believe.

Wel every time i do a factory reset some settings from entware and transmission are gone despite its on the external drive, if you know how to restore the settings without reinstalling it I would appreciate, i know you make it easy but for some people is not, imagine if you have more then just one router.

I have experienced unusual USB behavior this morning much the same as in post#80. After successfully running this release for several days now errors started showing up on my 32GB USB device. I ran e2fsck to correct. After this I rebooted the router and the device did not mount. Unplugged it and plugged it back in again. This time it mounted however it now gets mounted as read only and ext4 filesystem even though it was originally formatted ext2. Output of mount command as follows:

/dev/sda1 on /tmp/mnt/USB1 type ext4(ro,nodev,relatime,barrier=1,data=writeback)

Any ideas?

I need to check if someone has SSHBFP functioning?
I have turned on the "Enable SSH Brute Force Protection" but can not see the rule in fw rules, and i cant see any chain for it either

Chain SSHBFP (1 references)
pkts bytes target prot opt in out source destination
5 236 all -- any any anywhere anywhere recent: SET name: SSH side: source
0 0 DROP all -- any any anywhere anywhere recent: UPDATE seconds: 60 hit_count: 4 name: SSH side: source
5 236 ACCEPT all -- any any anywhere anywhere

admin@octopus:/tmp/home/root# iptables -vL -t filter
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT 0 packets, 0 bytes)
pkts bytes target prot opt in out source destination
0 0 logdrop all -- any any anywhere anywhere match-set Hammer_ips src,dst
15 884 ACCEPT tcp -- any any anywhere anywhere state NEW tcp dpt:123
0 0 ACCEPT tcp -- any any anywhere anywhere state NEW tcp dpts:1234:5678
37448 3717K ACCEPT all -- tun21 any anywhere anywhere
39436 7041K ACCEPT udp -- any any anywhere anywhere udp dpt:9876
1 28 DROP icmp -- eth0 any anywhere anywhere icmp echo-request
52 3064 DROP all -- eth0 any anywhere anywhere state INVALID
79114 6886K ACCEPT all -- any any anywhere anywhere state RELATED,ESTABLISHED
79 8433 ACCEPT all -- lo any anywhere anywhere state NEW
7562 606K ACCEPT all -- br0 any anywhere anywhere state NEW
0 0 ACCEPT udp -- any any anywhere anywhere udp spt:bootps dpt:bootpc
1 44 ACCEPT tcp -- any any anywhere anywhere tcp dpt:ftp
0 0 ACCEPT icmp -- any any anywhere anywhere icmp !echo-request
21258 3098K DROP all -- any any anywhere anywhere

best regards
Octopus

Wel every time i do a factory reset some settings from entware and transmission are gone despite its on the external drive, if you know how to restore the settings without reinstalling it I would appreciate, i know you make it easy but for some people is not, imagine if you have more then just one router.
More info here and see the link toward the bottom regarding Johns Tool/restore utility.
That should help with the restore.

DLNA is bugged with latest 378.55. Reproduction stops in 5 or maybe 20 minutes. Them you have to wait mini-dlna server to restart and rescan again the library. This issue is quite annoying.

Hi, and thanks for the great firmware!

I’ve just changed my router from the AC66u to the AC68u for the improved features. Everything seems to working well apart from a small issue with the lack of data held in web history. The history only extends to a page on each client. Ideally I’d like to be able to store at least a weeks’ worth of data on each client, a month would be great. If this could be exported to a spread sheet even better ;)

With my limited knowledge I have read what I can read and setup the system as it should be. I have a custom location to a memory stick in the back of the router - /mnt/sda1/ . Firmware 378.55 replaced Asus factory default as a new firmware file.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Web History is a feature provided by the closed source Trend Micro engine, and cannot be controlled/modified.

I need to check if someone has SSHBFP functioning?
I have turned on the "Enable SSH Brute Force Protection" but can not see the rule in fw rules, and i cant see any chain for it either

It's in the INPUT chain.

DLNA is bugged with latest 378.55. Reproduction stops in 5 or maybe 20 minutes. Them you have to wait mini-dlna server to restart and rescan again the library. This issue is quite annoying.

Whatever version of minidlna that I use, (be it Asus or vanilla), it fixes things for some people, but someone else complains about a new issue. So, I give up on it. If it doesn't work for some people, they will have to either complain to the minidlna author, their smart TV manufacturer, or use a desktop DLNA server that implements the bazillion quirk workarounds necessary for every single client out there who fail to follow the DLNA specifications.

Whatever version of minidlna that I use, (be it Asus or vanilla), it fixes things for some people, but someone else complains about a new issue. So, I give up on it. If it doesn't work for some people, they will have to either complain to the minidlna author, their smart TV manufacturer, or use a desktop DLNA server that implements the bazillion quirk workarounds necessary for every single client out there who fail to follow the DLNA specifications.

I think that's a wise move. I don't understand why router manufacturers have embraced feature creep that bloats the firmware with feature after feature instead of sticking with router-specific essentials (connecting local devices to each other and to the internet). Now one person's essential feature is another's useless bloatware, so I'm sure the topic is open to debate.

And another chicking DDNS update time, floding log every 30 seconds. seems watch dog restart every 30 sek.
It's in the INPUT chain.
Yes i know but its missing in INPUT chain.

I have been running 378.55 on my AC68U from the day after it was available. I use both 2.4 & 5 wireless bands. I have two HDDs mounted, one EXT3 (DLNA sever), the other NTFS (backups). I have had no issues whatsoever with the wireless. I find range, speed & stability to be the same or better. I DLNA stream quite a bit to a Samsung TV, and to two Panasonic Blurays. I find the DLNA on 378.55 to be better than recent past builds. In recent past builds the DLNA server would seem to go to sleep & require me to wake it more often than the 378.55 build. I have never had any scanning (logging) issues with my movies. I have 400 GBs of movies, each movie is ~4GB. The one thing I did right off to prevent the router from having to scan every computer / HDD in my network was to define were it scans. I have it scan one folder on one HDD which is where I keep all my movies.

Yup! Gave up on using router as DLNA server. Have a Buffalo NAS that I use as DLNA server,much better solution, just works, as well as a backup solution. Routers are meant to route in my opinion and if something not router related does not work, like DLNA oh well. I look at things like DLNA support like looking at something that has things stuck all over the sides of it that may fall off at any time.
--bill

It was broken by Asus in 6117. I fixed it, but when I backported another of their fixes from 6975, it re-introduced the bug.

Thanks for the feedback on this. I was about to report the same issue with the drag-and-drop priority button in adaptive QoS. Hopefully this gets fixed on the next release.

I'm sorry to hear this, but I completely understand your reasoning. I've had flawless DLNA for quite a while using your firmware up until the change in this release, so I can't imagine how mind numbing it must be for you every time someone hits an issue with any particular version when a perfect one may not exist.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!