What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 378.55 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes i know but its missing in INPUT chain.

Works for me.

Code:
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT 0 packets, 0 bytes)
 pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source               destination        
    0     0 ACCEPT     all  --  tun21  any     anywhere             anywhere            
    0     0 ACCEPT     udp  --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere             udp dpt:1194
    0     0 DROP       all  --  eth0   any     anywhere             anywhere             state INVALID
  195 22348 ACCEPT     all  --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere             state RELATED,ESTABLISHED
    0     0 ACCEPT     all  --  lo     any     anywhere             anywhere             state NEW
   60  6730 ACCEPT     all  --  br0    any     anywhere             anywhere             state NEW
    0     0 ACCEPT     udp  --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere             udp spt:bootps dpt:bootpc
    0     0 SSHBFP     tcp  --  eth0   any     anywhere             anywhere             tcp dpt:ssh state NEW
    0     0 ACCEPT     icmp --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere            
    0     0 DROP       all  --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere

Make sure you do enable WAN access, the brute force protection only applies to the WAN interface at this time.

In general seems 5ghz goes better but i still have some delays while surfing web with that too, i don't know if it is the wifi driver or some other process in the router, ill'try a factory default, its a bit annoying because i have to reinstall entware and transmission too :\
I had slow surfing too where video streams would take forever to load yet speed tests were fine. Turned out that having IPv6 enabled was the culprit and Time Warner doesn't offer it yet. Now my Hangouts doesn't take hours to deliver my messages.

378.55 is working great on my AC56U. QoS, openvpn, usb HDD, trend micro activated and running smoothly. Overclocked to 1200 MHz too. Thanks Merlin!

Last edited:
Yup! Gave up on using router as DLNA server. Have a Buffalo NAS that I use as DLNA server,much better solution, just works, as well as a backup solution. Routers are meant to route in my opinion and if something not router related does not work, like DLNA oh well. I look at things like DLNA support like looking at something that has things stuck all over the sides of it that may fall off at any time.
--bill
Seems like a pretty perfect way to think about extra features on a device that pays for itself merely by doing its basic mission well (for example, when a wireless router does a pretty good job of WiFi communicating and routing with low energy usage). Enjoying extra frills when they work (USB 3 storage sharing?), ignoring them if they're flaky. At times seems tedious to read so many complaints about DLNA imperfection, but looking on the bright side seeing all the complaints tips me off on what to not waste time on.

Works for me.

Code:
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT 0 packets, 0 bytes)
pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source               destination     
    0     0 ACCEPT     all  --  tun21  any     anywhere             anywhere         
    0     0 ACCEPT     udp  --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere             udp dpt:1194
    0     0 DROP       all  --  eth0   any     anywhere             anywhere             state INVALID
  195 22348 ACCEPT     all  --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere             state RELATED,ESTABLISHED
    0     0 ACCEPT     all  --  lo     any     anywhere             anywhere             state NEW
   60  6730 ACCEPT     all  --  br0    any     anywhere             anywhere             state NEW
    0     0 ACCEPT     udp  --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere             udp spt:bootps dpt:bootpc
    0     0 SSHBFP     tcp  --  eth0   any     anywhere             anywhere             tcp dpt:ssh state NEW
    0     0 ACCEPT     icmp --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere         
    0     0 DROP       all  --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere

Make sure you do enable WAN access, the brute force protection only applies to the WAN interface at this time.

Okey, must be some problems during installation. I have made full reset, but will do it again and try.
Probably the reset has not been good in any way.

I had slow surfing too where video streams would take forever to load yet speed tests were fine. Turned out that having IPv6 enabled was the culprit and Time Warner doesn't offer it yet. Now my Hangouts doesn't take hours to deliver my messages.

378.55 is working great on my AC56U. QoS, openvpn, usb HDD, trend micro activated and running smoothly. Overclocked to 1200 MHz too. Thanks Merlin!

I did a factory reset, seems is better now...

Whatever version of minidlna that I use, (be it Asus or vanilla), it fixes things for some people, but someone else complains about a new issue. So, I give up on it.....

As a long time asuswrt-merlin user I fully support RMerlins position. I have some thoughts from first hand experience to recommend/share.

Some brief background. A few years back, I had an AC66U running asuswrt-merlin. I liked the router and really wanted minidlna - I could stream photos, videos and music to phones, Smart TV's etc. all from my router.
Over time, it would work and not work. As I added more photos (in my case over 9 years of digitial photos), minidlna would crash. Memory issues, file issues etc. Much what many of you are experiencing - and this was over 2 years ago!!

Along came the AC68U. What the heck - give my son the AC66 and use the more powerful AC68U. Again, great router.
But, same old minidlna. Don't get me wrong, minidlna is actually a pretty impressive piece of work. But asking it to manage the amount of media I was throwing at it is a bit our of bounds. Thats why its called "mini"dlna. ;-)

RMerlin, being very helpful and in many cases working with the dev's on fixes, one day told me - "You have a lot of photos. You really should consider a NAS box".

I finally decided he was right! I purchased a QNAP TS-212 for ~$140. Added a couple 2TB drives, plugged it's ethernet right into the AC68U and, the most important, found the Twonky Media Server.

Believe me, Twonky is a much more professional and polished media server. It runs serving up 10's of thousands of photos, hundreds of videos - without a burp. It will transcode, generate thumbnails and has a polished web based intercface. And, it works with all my client devices. Also, plugging storage devices into the USB ports is much more stable then the Asus devices (I suspect the more modern kernel in the NAS to be a prime reason)

So, my 2 suggestions - pick 1:

1) Buy a low cost NAS box. Both Qnap and Synology make great sub-$200 boxes. Both come with the Twonky Media Server. You just need to add storage.
Pros - Raid class storage to keep videos/photos safe.
Twonky - a more polished and functional media server
USB ports work well
Fairly easy to configure
Cons - will run around $300 by the time you are done with adding disk drives

2) This is actually my new preferred method - by a $35 Raspberry PI 2.

The Pi 2 has a quad core ARM processor running at 900MHz (easily clocked to 1GHz) and 1GB of on-board ram.
It also has 4 USB ports and a 10/100 Ethernet.

I now own an AC87U and have the Raspberry Pi plugged directly into as my application server. The AC87U routes and does the wireless side and the Pi does Twonky, rsync back ups to some USB based external disks (which all seem to work fine).
It runs Debian based Linux (much more modern then Asus/Broadcom 2.4 vintage stuff) and you will find the world of apt-get as a much more expanded way to add applications and services.

Twonky is available for the Raspbian Linux on the Pi. It costs $20 - lifetime license. Believe me it was the best $20 I have spent in a while.

Total cost - $35 for the Pi 2, $10 for a microSD, $20 for a USB charger to power it all, ~$90 for an external 1TB USB drive and ~$15 for a case = $170.

Pros - Great app co-processor for Asus routers.
Runs much newer Linux kernels - Debian with aptitude for adding applications etc.
Runs Twonky Media Server
All for ~$170 including paying for a 1TB USB
Cons - Will require some learning curve to set things up.
Twonky costs $20

Anyway, either works great. But lets face it, it's time to put minidlna in the rear view mirror...

hi, im a noob when it cimes to networking so pls keep that in mind with any responses. I have a 68p and have been using stock firmware until merlins 378.55 came out and decided to switch. works great, wireless seems to be better and I like the layout. the only problem im having is I have to reset my router every 3-4 days and there is a possibility of very momentary loss of network(not sure if is the drivers, something else or just my imagination).
I had no reboot issues before so im just wondering if there is some setting that I need to change or go back to prev(if possible). I would prefer to make merlins work for reasons stated above.
ty mike

WARNING: you have JFFS enabled. Make sure you have a backup of its content, as upgrading your firmware MIGHT overwrite it!

Well that's a lie... :)

Attachments

• JFFS.PNG
    JFFS.PNG
    4.9 KB · Views: 663
I read that before upgrading.

The issue, if you read my report, is that 378_55 minidlna works right after reboot, plays a movie. Next day, minidlna server is down and I have to killall and re trigger the minidlna via terminal (on top of this issue, browsing the router page, on/off buttons don't work under iOS 8.4)

reas rural

I responded to your 2nd post about there is nothing in the changelog about minidlna and not to the 1st you wrote so please dont quote me on wrong things here.

There is nothing on the logs regarding minidlna.
I read the changelogs... Dozens of times. Issue is persisting since 53.
Thanks

Well that's a lie... :)
No, it's not....JFFS is enabled by default on the latest Merlin since it's now required for some base router functions (you just don't need to format it and you don't have scripting enabled...there is no longer an enable/disable JFFS option)

When will mu mimo be enabled on the rt-ac87u? I don't have any compatible clients or anything, just curious.

As a long time asuswrt-merlin user I fully support RMerlins position. I have some thoughts from first hand experience to recommend/share.

We could use a wiki page that collects:
Does this belong in the Merlin wiki? It's mostly independent of Merlin FW.

114 posts later, still no help/answer. Guess this is not the place to get help for Merlin firmware issue's.

I've encountered a strange bug in current release with AC68u and CISCO EPC 3208 modem - while I was browsing the internet, connections have started to timeout. I thought that it was my ISP's fault (however, that's unlikely) until I've noticed that webinterface at 192.168.1.1 and all of my LAN devices are not responding. After a minute everything returned to normal state. Because I run my own server, I was afraid that I was hacked/ddos'ed. I've checked network traffic and WAN traffic was HUGE on outgoing (picture related, my real WAN upload is max 20mbps), however wired/wifi2.4/5ghz were close to 0kbps. I've double checked active connections on router - nothing suspicious, my server had null traffic. Everything seems to be fine, except for blinking WAN led on asus and LAN on my modem, like if it was under heavy traffic. I've read through the system log - nothing suspicious, no warnings etc.

The problem persisted after reboot, reconnecting and restarting WAN and all LAN devices. I've downgraded to 44_2 and traffic shows up ok, however led's are still blinking like crazy

Attachments

• wtf.png
    wtf.png
    196.6 KB · Views: 387
  • wtf.png
    wtf.png
    196.6 KB · Views: 343
114 posts later, still no help/answer. Guess this is not the place to get help for Merlin firmware issue's.

No, it's not. As RMerlin himself has suggested; post a new thread with your issue to get the best response.

(And with only 11 posts that you have so far, I'm sure that not everyone was trying to help you directly with the unknown issue you seem to have).

I've encountered a strange bug in current release with AC68u and CISCO EPC 3208 modem ... I was afraid that I was hacked/ddos'ed.
You probably ARE hacked considering the username you use on the forum.

But now seriously: according the graph you posted, your WAN exceeded by far the speed you could get from the ISP. I assume that the traffic monitor acted up strangely. Moreover I see that the blue line is exactly at zero, x or two times x. That is very improbable.

I suspect that your workstation had a problem. That explains why you couldn't reach other devices on your LAN; the amount of blinking of LEDs doesn't tell you whether your network is under heavy load, or that your NIC tries to send packets very regularly. Because your workstation couldn't get the traffic monitor information, as it lost connectivity to the network, the traffic monitor showed nonsense.

Last edited:
Again I will post this (for the 4th time), to hopefully get an answer!

Is there any resolution to this issue:

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/as...eta-is-now-available.25601/page-7#post-191792

Simply put, smartsync to ftp to LAN does not work, says it does, but nothing is in the local FTP folder on the LAN machine.

19878788121_dec60d82fc_o.png

19685806448_6452044686_o.png

19252922693_e6b419844c_o.png

I know it used to work in 378.54 but I think it was during beta it stopped working, to current version.

Works fine for me, just setup my RT-N66U to backup the hosts files stored on the SD of the router over to my local FTP NAS server.

A couple of issues here I was hoping to get some help on. Let me start by saying that I have a RT-AC3200 I just received today and only ran the default firmware long enough to install Asuswrt-Merlin 378.55 onto it. My first issue is the Traffic Analyzer, after I turn it on I get nothing on it whatsoever. It's appears to be collecting no data at all. Second issue is when I change the Adaptive QoS to traditional type (I didn't care for the assignments in Adaptive) and attempt to go to the User-Defined QoS Rules, I abruptly get logged out and placed at the log on screen. I really would like to get these 2 things working since I have 2 teenage data hogs in my house and a Comcast data cap. Any help would be great.

Edit - With the Traffic Analyzer, the All Clients drop down gives no options other than All Clients.

Attachments

• Traffic Analyzer - Statistic.jpg
    Traffic Analyzer - Statistic.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 601
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.