What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 378.55 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Make sure you enter the correct username as well as the password, both being case-sensitive.

If you had a complex password with unsupported characters, you can reset it over SSH:

Code:
nvram set http_passwd="newpassword"
nvram commit
service restart_httpd

Hello Merlin,
thank you for the very fast reply.
I have special characters in the user name.
Can I change this also ?

I seem to be seeing better results after factory resetting my AC66U, reflashing the 278.54_2, then factory resetting again, and then restoring my back up of my saved settings. I may try the .55 again but it drives me bonkers to have network issues that impact the speed of everything in my place.

Thanks to @RMerlin for the firmware and for doing such a great job with the various Asus routers your firmware supports. Although i have only come here recently to see if anyone else has experienced the issue I had with the. .55, I have been using the Merlin firemware on my Asus RT-AC66U since January. Keep up the awesome work! [=

If you still have issues, try not to restore your settings from a backup and entering them manually. Sometimes when you restore settings from a another build, some of the parameters change so it can cause potential problems. That is why i reset the router before and after the firmware and enter in the settings manually rather than restore if I am having issues.

All true, except I am a paranoid with security so I would like to have at least the most recent updates especially on openssl libraries. Unless special patches that address only security will be out for the Merlin firmware, the only way to get the latest is to .. flash a new firmware. So yes, in the end, it is worth going through all the hassle of reconfiguring, if this is the last resort.

This lesson also reminds me to take notes of all the changes I do because I have spent quite some time getting the router to the level it is today.

What I have tried so far without any luck: disabling firewall, removing the permanent arp entry.

Another recent change I've made: upgraded all PCs in the network to Windows 10. But how could this influece WOL?
You should have a backup router in that environment. Then dump configs down so they are duplicated. Then you can switch them as needed easily with minimal down time and flash and reconfigure the spare before putting it back in production. The reset may very well solve any issues you have with the 55 firmware .

I seem to be seeing better results after factory resetting my AC66U, reflashing the 278.54_2, then factory resetting again, and then restoring my back up of my saved settings. I may try the .55 again but it drives me bonkers to have network issues that impact the speed of everything in my place.

Thanks to @RMerlin for the firmware and for doing such a great job with the various Asus routers your firmware supports. Although i have only come here recently to see if anyone else has experienced the issue I had with the. .55, I have been using the Merlin firemware on my Asus RT-AC66U since January. Keep up the awesome work! [=
The problem most likely isn't with 378.55 but your process. Its completely useless to factory reset once much less twice if you are restoring a backup afterwards. That totally negates either of the resets you do.

I have this issue as well - it's not every few minutes though - it's just randomly happening with me - I've been having this issue since 378.55 + betas.

Was ok on 378.54 - It never used to happen? - I just disable my network connection on my laptop - then reconnect again and it works.

Having exact same symptoms on my AC66U with 378.54_2 and maybe one prior Merlin release. And I've also tried just about everything I can think of to find/fix. Sporadic nature of problem makes it very difficult to pinpoint.

As of this writing, I'm looking into possibility of Chromecast (CC) causing my situation. Using inSSIDer utility I can see 2.4Ghz connection solid until CC "network" becomes "active" for some reason and amount of time - Like it's checking in with the Mothership. During this time Router 2.4Ghz signal is often disrupted to the point of complete PC disconnect. Once the CC finishes, my PC eventually reconnects to the 2.4Ghz band. Fairly consistent so far... And in fact, I tried putting CC under AC66U "Parental Control - working hours denied" but this made things worse because the CC kept trying to complete whatever it needed to do but was repeatedly denied by Router. Currently experimenting with CC completely turned OFF...

Anyone else with problem using Chromecast?

Has anyone noticed IPv6 being broken on this firmware when connecting OS X devices? My windows PC and Android tablet are assigned IPv6 addresses, and work properly; however, my work Macbook Pro running OS X 10.10.4 is assigned what seems to be local IPv6 addresses but when I attempt to visit ipv6.google.com it can't resolve the address, and if I try http://ipv6-test.com/ it fails the IPv6 tests. I should also note that this device doesn't appear under "System Log > IPv6".

Anyone know what the issue might be?

Just thought I'd follow-up on this in case anyone else runs into the same issue. Doing a factory reset, and setting everything up again solved this issue.

Having exact same symptoms on my AC66U with 378.54_2 and maybe one prior Merlin release. And I've also tried just about everything I can think of to find/fix. Sporadic nature of problem makes it very difficult to pinpoint.

As of this writing, I'm looking into possibility of Chromecast (CC) causing my situation. Using inSSIDer utility I can see 2.4Ghz connection solid until CC "network" becomes "active" for some reason and amount of time - Like it's checking in with the Mothership. During this time Router 2.4Ghz signal is often disrupted to the point of complete PC disconnect. Once the CC finishes, my PC eventually reconnects to the 2.4Ghz band. Fairly consistent so far... And in fact, I tried putting CC under AC66U "Parental Control - working hours denied" but this made things worse because the CC kept trying to complete whatever it needed to do but was repeatedly denied by Router. Currently experimenting with CC completely turned OFF...

Anyone else with problem using Chromecast?
I have a Chromecast and have never experienced any wireless issues. Sounds like it maybe in your case. Weird that the CC would cause wireless issues when it wakes up to talk to the Mothership. Know it does this to check for things like updates. It should act like any other wireless device I would think in this case. Will be interesting to hear how your experiment with the CC being turned off and see if your wireless issue goes away. Keep us updated as there are a lot of CC's out there.
--bill

Just thought I'd follow-up on this in case anyone else runs into the same issue. Doing a factory reset, and setting everything up again solved this issue.

Juuuuuust kidding. I noticed that my laptop had an IPv6 address when I first started using it, but I think since it went to sleep at some point and when it woke up, was not reassigned an IPv6 address.

Anyone know how to solve this?

I have a Chromecast and have never experienced any wireless issues. Sounds like it maybe in your case. Weird that the CC would cause wireless issues when it wakes up to talk to the Mothership. Know it does this to check for things like updates. It should act like any other wireless device I would think in this case. Will be interesting to hear how your experiment with the CC being turned off and see if your wireless issue goes away. Keep us updated as there are a lot of CC's out there.
--bill
Well, I've had the Chromecast dongle completely off the network for a few days now and although connections initially seemed much better, unfortunately the 2Ghz wireless drops have returned. Really thought I had problem solved... I'm at a loss and apparently not alone as others reporting similar under Merlin v378.55 in this thread.

Right, so on my RT-AC87U 2.4Ghz wireless, I've set it to be "N Only" but when I look on a wireless scanner, it shows as "b/g/n".
Whether I set it to "auto" or "N Only", it always shows as "b/g/n". Although I can see other WiFi networks in my neighbourhood which are "N Only" in the network scanner, so the tool is working fine.

Anoyone else have this problem?

I've set the following:
Wirelsess Mode: N Only
Channel Bandwidth: 40 Mhz
Control Channel: 13
Extension Channel: Below
Authentication Mode: WPA2-Personal
WPA Encryption: AES

The rest are default settings.

Last edited:
Quantenna expects to have a new SDK in mid-August, which resolves the root cause of most of those 5 GHz issues. After that it will take time for Asus to get that SDK, integrate it, test it, etc... so I wouldn't expect a new AC87U release until September or October.

Will this also solve the heat issues with 5Ghz and CPU? My CPU is averagin at 84C

Right, so on my RT-AC87U 2.4Ghz wireless, I've set it to be "N Only" but when I look on a wireless scanner, it shows as "b/g/n".
Whether I set it to "auto" or "N Only", it always shows as "b/g/n". Although I can see other WiFi networks in my neighbourhood which are "N Only" in the network scanner, so the tool is working fine.

Anoyone else have this problem?

I've set the following:
Wirelsess Mode: N Only
Channel Bandwidth: 40 Mhz
Control Channel: 13
Extension Channel: Below
Authentication Mode: WPA2-Personal
WPA Encryption: AES

The rest are default settings.
Did you do a channel scan/survey? Try selecting a channel like 1, 6, or 11 even though they may look crowded. Always set N channel bandwidth to 20 mhz unless you have some well-thought-out-reason not to. Also try Wireless Mode Auto, not sure what setting it to N only is buying you, until you have found some specific unacceptable situation that is traceable to having the wireless mode not "N only".

Did you do a channel scan/survey? Try selecting a channel like 1, 6, or 11 even though they may look crowded. Always set N channel bandwidth to 20 mhz unless you have some well-thought-out-reason not to. Also try Wireless Mode Auto, not sure what setting it to N only is buying you, until you have found some specific unacceptable situation that is traceable to having the wireless mode not "N only".

Thanks for the notes. I did do a scan and it kept recommending 13 (or 14 which I don't have) so I thought I'd give it a try, there's really dense WiFi here in The Netherlands, with 1 and 6 being the default on most routers, and then 11. It's like a sardine can full of WiFi spots here with every unit having like 3-4 wifi networks. From my sofa, I can pick up like 30 different networks. So I'm still trying to figure out what works best.

FYI, according to the scanner, on 40MHz my max rate is 450Mbps, while on 20MHz it's only 217Mbps.

However, my point was, I set the router to "N Only", but the setting doesn't seem to work as it seems to still use all 3. So it appears as though it does nothing.

Last edited:
Use Auto for Wireless Mode for best results. N only (or any other setting) is not recommended.

Select a specific channel (test them all (1, 6, 11) and reboot the router and the computer you are testing with each time you change channels) as already suggested and set the channel width to 20MHz.

Will this also solve the heat issues with 5Ghz and CPU? My CPU is averagin at 84C

All I know is that they have a new SDK coming that will incorporate 5 GHz compatibility fixes. Beyond that, I don't know anything else. But my guess is no, this will have zero impact on temperature, since this is a hardware limitation, not something affected by software.

Use Auto for Wireless Mode for best results. N only (or any other setting) is not recommended.

Select a specific channel (test them all (1, 6, 11) and reboot the router and the computer you are testing with each time you change channels) as already suggested and set the channel width to 20MHz.

Thanks for the advice.

However as I mentioned, my point was, I set the router to "N Only", but the setting doesn't seem to work as it seems to still use all 3 (b/g/n). So it appears as though it does nothing. Ie, a bug. Or not?

N includes b and g, by definition. It doesn't exclude.

N Only does change some settings (sorry, forget which ones) for the worse though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!