What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 380.58 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

My AC66U seems to be restarting every 5 minutes in repeater mode (from an AC88U). I did the mtd-erased the nvram, rebooted, reflashed again with 380.58 and still have the issue for some reason. I will downgrade back to .56_2 and see if the problem persists.

Unfortunately my experience was pretty bad. I updated to this build from beta and it fubar'd

I have a 68u (Main) and a 66u Media bridged to main

Both bricked and it has taken me two days to get it back. I had to revert to a down reved Asus official, factory default, upgrade to latest asus upgrade until both modems came back and I was actually able to set up the media bridge again.

What started the entire mess was the Bridge would not connect, no matter what I did, it was connected with beta. Once I went to GA BOOM. Sorry not going back to merlin for now.....

I noticed a strange thing: if I enable a guest network, then disable it, in wirelessly general settings I see the that guest network instead of my personal Wi-Fi (SSID)

On AC87U for last two updates of merlinwrt (based on 380) there is a problem with downloading torrents using rtorrent:
At the end of downloading (when checking hash) following error appears: " Hash check on download completion found bad chunks, consider using "safe_sync".
Enabling safe_sync in rtorrent options does not help.

The last version that works without any problems is 378.56.2.
I believe there's some kind of bug in last firmware because it's confirmed already on this forum by two people (me and another guy) in this thread:
http://www.snbforums.com/threads/tu...ters-through-entware.17170/page-3#post-247355

Neither dmesg nor syslog shows any suspicious entry/error...

Unfortunately my experience was pretty bad. I updated to this build from beta and it fubar'd

The only difference between Beta 1 and this release is a few lines of scripting in vpnrouting.sh. If Beta 1 loaded fine, then your issue lies elsewhere.

IPV6 seems to be broken in this release. Flashed and did FR. All settings redone from scratch. Was working fine on previous stable build.

Using AC87U.

Mine works on the 87U. Using Native / DHCP-PD / stateless.

I will say that if you make any changes to LAN/WAN related settings, the IPv6 address disappears. Then I need to reboot the router to get my IPv6 address back.

But that's not specific to this firmware, I think it's an Asus issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IPV6 is not working reliably for me with 380.58 and Time Warner on my AC88U. The router seems to be getting the proper addresses from TWC and usually seems to be assigning them correctly to a few devices on my network. However, after 10 or 15 minutes, the router will show that no clients have IPV6 addresses. My MacBook Pro, for instance, can connect fine with IPV6 for a little while and pass all tests at any of the IPV6 testing websites, but it then loses the IPV6 address. My assumption is that the router is revoking the IPV6 address that it assigned. I tried setting ipv6_debug setting to 1 in the nvram (and rebooting), but that hasn't provided any helpful information. I also tried unsetting all of the nvram variables with ipv6 in the name and re-configuring IPV6 through the GUI. That didn't help either. I have DHCP logging turned off, but may turn that back on to see if that gives any clues.

When the IPV6 addresses go away for the clients, it appears that the IPV6 settings under the IPV6 Log tab, such as the WAN address, LAN address, and gateway, are still set properly. It just no longer shows any clients with IPV6 addresses.

Has anyone had any problems with OpenVPN Client using policy rules?

I have a few rules that redirect 0.0.0.0 where the destination is x.x.x.x.

Everything seems to be working fine in the beginning and works as expected, but after a few minutes the error below keeps repeating every 20 seconds and no devices have internet anymore:

Code:
Mar 24 22:34:39 openvpn[3574]: RESOLVE: Cannot resolve host address: <vpn_host>: Name or service not known
Mar 24 22:34:54 openvpn[3574]: RESOLVE: Cannot resolve host address: <vpn_host>: Name or service not known
Mar 24 22:35:14 openvpn[3574]: RESOLVE: Cannot resolve host address: <vpn_host>: Name or service not known
Mar 24 22:35:34 openvpn[3574]: RESOLVE: Cannot resolve host address: <vpn_host>: Name or service not known

*Note, <vpn_host> has the actual vpn server name that you would normally enter in the configuration page, and not the text "<vpn_host>". ;)

Right before that repeated error is this:
Code:
Mar 24 22:34:19 openvpn[3574]: read TCPv4_CLIENT: Connection timed out (code=110)
Mar 24 22:34:19 openvpn[3574]: Connection reset, restarting [0]
Mar 24 22:34:19 openvpn[3574]: SIGUSR1[soft,connection-reset] received, process restarting
Mar 24 22:34:19 openvpn[3574]: Restart pause, 5 second(s)
Mar 24 22:34:24 openvpn[3574]: NOTE: the current --script-security setting may allow this configuration to call user-defined scripts
Mar 24 22:34:24 openvpn[3574]: Socket Buffers: R=[87380->87380] S=[16384->16384]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I also had IPv6 issues with this build. Native from comcast for what ever reason it starts out working only to find hours to a day later it's broke although the router shows the correct v6 information as if it's working. o_O

To the poster that asked why we are using IPv6 the reason is simple because we can our ISP provides it and it should work as intended.

First time I've seen in Asus/Merlin firmware NVRAM partition being consolidated. Is this true to all other partitions? This is cool!
Code:
Mar 24 16:46:46 kernel: nvram: consolidating space!

First time I've seen in Asus/Merlin firmware NVRAM partition being consolidated. Is this true to all other partitions? This is cool!
Code:
I had RT-AC68U and it did consolidating of space as well. Not sure about other partitions but it might.

I was very excited about this release, but it appears something ASUS (Wi-Fi driver?) have introduced after 378.55 makes my 2.4 Wi-Fi flaky, as soon as I go back to 378.55, 2.4 is again stable for all devices, its a shame as direct link to router is perfect with the new builds, just the Wi-Fi isn't.

I noticed a strange thing: if I enable a guest network, then disable it, in wirelessly general settings I see the that guest network instead of my personal Wi-Fi (SSID)

I noticed the same thing on an RT-N66, Merlin 389.58/

IPV6 is not working reliably for me with 380.58 and Time Warner on my AC88U. The router seems to be getting the proper addresses from TWC and usually seems to be assigning them correctly to a few devices on my network. However, after 10 or 15 minutes, the router will show that no clients have IPV6 addresses. My MacBook Pro, for instance, can connect fine with IPV6 for a little while and pass all tests at any of the IPV6 testing websites, but it then loses the IPV6 address. My assumption is that the router is revoking the IPV6 address that it assigned. I tried setting ipv6_debug setting to 1 in the nvram (and rebooting), but that hasn't provided any helpful information. I also tried unsetting all of the nvram variables with ipv6 in the name and re-configuring IPV6 through the GUI. That didn't help either. I have DHCP logging turned off, but may turn that back on to see if that gives any clues.

When the IPV6 addresses go away for the clients, it appears that the IPV6 settings under the IPV6 Log tab, such as the WAN address, LAN address, and gateway, are still set properly. It just no longer shows any clients with IPV6 addresses.

I am also having this problem. I kept rebooting my router and my cable modem thinking it was a problem with TW. Maybe it's something to do with the firmware on the same AC88U.

Eric, off the VPN clients 1, 3 and 5. I was doing some experiments on the router and tried setting the same configuration as client 1 on client 3.

System logs:
Code:
Mar 24 21:34:19 openvpn-routing: Removing rule 1401 from routing policy
Mar 24 21:34:19 openvpn-routing: Removing rule 1501 from routing policy
Mar 24 21:34:19 openvpn-routing: Adding route for 192.168.1.1 to 0.0.0.0 through WAN
Mar 24 21:34:20 openvpn-routing: Adding route for 192.168.1.0/24 to 0.0.0.0 through VPN client 3
Mar 24 21:34:20 openvpn-routing: Tunnel re-established, restoring WAN access to clients
Mar 24 21:34:20 openvpn-routing: Completed routing policy configuration for client 3
Mar 24 21:34:20 openvpn[1779]: Initialization Sequence Completed

On The VPN page it said I am connected. Above system log said everything was ok.

However there were no Tun/Tap Read or writes. None of the systems connected to the router had internet.

The settings I copied to Client 3 were exactly the same as client 1. But no matter what I did, the connection would not come back.

In the mean time after completing my experiments on client 1, when I reset the settings on it as it was before, internet connection was restored to all the systems.

is there a problem with the other VPN clients?

Eric, off the VPN clients 1, 3 and 5. I was doing some experiments on the router and tried setting the same configuration as client 1 on client 3.

System logs:
Code:
Mar 24 21:34:19 openvpn-routing: Removing rule 1401 from routing policy
Mar 24 21:34:19 openvpn-routing: Removing rule 1501 from routing policy
Mar 24 21:34:19 openvpn-routing: Adding route for 192.168.1.1 to 0.0.0.0 through WAN
Mar 24 21:34:20 openvpn-routing: Adding route for 192.168.1.0/24 to 0.0.0.0 through VPN client 3
Mar 24 21:34:20 openvpn-routing: Tunnel re-established, restoring WAN access to clients
Mar 24 21:34:20 openvpn-routing: Completed routing policy configuration for client 3
Mar 24 21:34:20 openvpn[1779]: Initialization Sequence Completed

On The VPN page it said I am connected. Above system log said everything was ok.

However there were no Tun/Tap Read or writes. None of the systems connected to the router had internet.

The settings I copied to Client 3 were exactly the same as client 1. But no matter what I did, the connection would not come back.

In the mean time after completing my experiments on client 1, when I reset the settings on it as it was before, internet connection was restored to all the systems.

is there a problem with the other VPN clients?
I had the same issue, albeit with 2 separate VPN providers.

I figured out I had to turn the killswitch off on one to get the other to work.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Code:

It's nothing new, been in the firmware for a few years already, altough it's not very frequent.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!