What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 380.58 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I was very excited about this release, but it appears something ASUS (Wi-Fi driver?) have introduced after 378.55 makes my 2.4 Wi-Fi flaky, as soon as I go back to 378.55, 2.4 is again stable for all devices, its a shame as direct link to router is perfect with the new builds, just the Wi-Fi isn't.

What router?

Thank you for this new release and efforts, Eric. However, I find it needed a little nudge to compile from the downloaded source code tarball. So this patch here will provide the correct include path for uuid.h and link miniupnpd against libuuid.
Code:
--- a/asuswrt-merlin-380.58/release/src-rt-6.x.4708/router/Makefile    2016-03-20 15:45:51.000000000 -0600
+++ b/asuswrt-merlin-380.58/release/src-rt-6.x.4708/router/Makefile     2016-03-22 18:32:04.327682816 -0600
@@ -1789,9 +1789,9 @@
        PKG_CONFIG=false ARCH=$(PLATFORM) \
        $(MAKE) -C $@ -f Makefile.merlin $(PARALLEL_BUILD) \
            IPTABLESPATH=$(TOP)/$(IPTABLES) \
-           EXTRACFLAGS="-Os $(EXTRACFLAGS) -idirafter$(KERNEL_HEADER_DIR) -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections" \
-           LDFLAGS="$(EXTRALDFLAGS) -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -Wl,--gc-sections -L$(IPTC_LIBDIR)" \
-           LDLIBS="-Wl,--as-needed $(IPTC_LIBS)"
+           EXTRACFLAGS="-Os $(EXTRACFLAGS) -idirafter$(KERNEL_HEADER_DIR) -idirafter$(TOP)/e2fsprogs/lib -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections" \
+           LDFLAGS="$(EXTRALDFLAGS) -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -Wl,--gc-sections -L$(IPTC_LIBDIR) -L$(TOP)/e2fsprogs/lib" \
+           LDLIBS="-Wl,--as-needed $(IPTC_LIBS) -luuid"

miniupnpd-clean:
        -@$(MAKE) -C miniupnpd -f Makefile.merlin clean

I don't like the idea of having miniupnpd depend on e2fsprogs, as the two are totally unrelated programs, and there's no guarantee that e2fsprog and its libuuid will always be present. For example, this would break on a build compiled without USB support.

Other Settings does not show on RT-AC5300 in AP Mode.

Not causing me a problem or concern, just providing feedback.

Since the rest of this page doesn't apply to AP mode anyway, the workaround is to manually set those nvram settings through SSH.

IPv6 is working okay on Comcast for me. It did stop working after a short period initially, but after rebooting when that happened it has just kept working since.

However, I'm aware that different segments of the humongous Comcast network apparently have slightly different implementation of IPv6. It has been working for others on Comcast and not for me, and vice-versa. Kind of weird that way...

Heya Merlin. Glad to see this latest update, hope everything is great with you.

Possible issue with this firmware and OSX 10.11.4 and iTunes 12.3.3. My iTunes library is on an external HD connected to the router's USB port. I used to be able to enable samba share, have my iTunes partition load up on my desktop and launch iTunes. Music bliss. Now, I am unable to do that, I can still load my iTunes partition onto the desktop but when I launch iTunes, i get an "unknown error occured (13008)".

I can access the portion on my desktop, read and write to it (I've set the appropriate permissions on the router) but iTunes just refuses to launch.

I know, could be the new version of OSX or iTunes, not necessarily the firmware. Anyone else having such issues?

whit AC66u downloading normal file it can reach 44MB/s over 5Ghz but when downloading torrent it stucks on 30MB/s and CPU is 100%. NAT is on.

So why it is advertised that it can reach theoretical 1300Mbps over 5Ghz when CPU is at 100% whit 30MB/s ?
Maybe someone has suggestion how improve torrent speed?

I had the same issue, albeit with 2 separate VPN providers.

I figured out I had to turn the killswitch off on one to get the other to work.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

What is the killswitch? Is is just the normal switch that turns green when the VPN is active? Then that is not the problem in this case. I even rebooted the router with client 1 disabled and client 3 activated. somehow the same settings on client 3 don't work.

Flashed to 380.58 RT-AC3100. No issues, all is running smooth. Made a modest donation and would like to encourage others to do the same. Thanks for a great build!

Couple days now on my 87u. So far so good. At least with 2.4. Can't say I've used 5. Thanks merlin. I just need to figure out what is wrong with my traffic statistic not showing Internet traffic on the Web interface or app. Would it be related to where I'm using vlans for fiberop or is the thing just not working for anyone

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

whit AC66u downloading normal file it can reach 44MB/s over 5Ghz but when downloading torrent it stucks on 30MB/s and CPU is 100%. NAT is on.

So why it is advertised that it can reach theoretical 1300Mbps over 5Ghz when CPU is at 100% whit 30MB/s ?
Speed is always depending on the speed the 'other side'. Also wireless has a lot of overhead. And... The advertised speed of 1300Mbps is the combined Total speed of all 2,4 and 5 Ghz radios in the device.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G935F met Tapatalk

You're comparing things that can't be compared directly.

Try decreasing the number of connections that your torrent client can use, this may increase the speeds.

What router?
final edit: Maybe my issue was really just IPv6 like others are taking about. I have CenturyLink fiber with the ONT directly connecting to the N66u and have had the 6rd tunnel they support setup. Disabled the 6rd under .57 an hour ago and haven't seen any connectivity exclamation marks or odd connectivity issues since. I'd also noticed connected clients were all IPv4 addresses whereas they had IPv6 under earlier firmware. I'll observe more carefully before posting next time.

original: Might be similar to what I'm seeing on my N66R after updating from .55 to .57, that my 2.4 ghz network on several of my android devices goes into a limited connectivity "!" mode periodically (maybe a few times an hour) before reconnecting. It's accompanied by actual connectivity issues (podcast downloads quitting or continuing on cellular data).

I have a houseguest with a bunch of other wifi devices and I was wondering if there was some interference, but I did notice this happening not long after updating and was going to see if rolling back to .55 (or anything in this changelog suggests updating to .58) fixes it.

edit: BobbyFlobby's prior posts suggest they run AC68 models.

Last edited:
I am also having WIFI issues with the 2.4Ghz Band. I will lose Internet access and under the wifi info on Windows it will show I am connected at 6 or 5 Mbps I will then have to reboot the router.

Model is AC5300 with latest Merlin Build ( Does it on Stock ASUS also )

Forerunner, did you do a reset to factory defaults after flashing the new firmware? Did you use new ssid's?

Forerunner, did you do a reset to factory defaults after flashing the new firmware? Did you use new ssid's?

Yes I always do a Factory reset using the pin hole method when updating or changing firmware. I am using the same SSID I always use which isn't the default Asus one.

Yes I always do a Factory reset using the pin hole method when updating or changing firmware. I am using the same SSID I always use which isn't the default Asus one.

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/no...l-and-manual-configuration.27115/#post-205573

Then either create a new ssid, or, 'forget' and re-associate each device that has problems one by one. I think a new ssid makes more sense, imo.

Each client can potentially store microcode for an ssid that a firmware upgrade may have changed. The solution (if this is the problem) is to use a new ssid for each new firmware, or forget and re-associate each device again.

Because others have reported problems, I just wanted to report that the WiFi speeds on my RT-AC66U are perfect on 4g (41/12) and 5g (181/12) with 150/10 Comcast service, and that the one feature I was hoping for, disabling the wake up of my printer every hour, also works perfectly. Note that the speeds are were measured within 3 feet of the router. Thank you, Merlin.

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/no...l-and-manual-configuration.27115/#post-205573

Then either create a new ssid, or, 'forget' and re-associate each device that has problems one by one. I think a new ssid makes more sense, imo.

Each client can potentially store microcode for an ssid that a firmware upgrade may have changed. The solution (if this is the problem) is to use a new ssid for each new firmware, or forget and re-associate each device again.

I will do that now. Thanks

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!