What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 380.58 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Managed to get my Asus DSL-AC68U successfully connected without Sky's own hub. I did not require merlins firmware as per those instructions.

I used Wireshark to sniff the packets to obtain the username and password coming from Sky's router when it connected. I then used the preset BT DSL settings, set the user name and password. And finally in Special Requirement from ISP, MAC Address I entered the MAC of the original Sky Hub router.

If anyone wants a more details explanation, let me know.

To those having issues with IPTV, please go to this thread. I've been in talk with Asus about it, and they aren't aware of any issues at this time.

Make sure you re-test again using the latest OFFICIAL firmware, to confirm that the problem lies in the Asus code, and not some issue introduced specifically in my firmware.

Thank you for this new release and efforts, Eric. However, I find it needed a little nudge to compile from the downloaded source code tarball. So this patch here will provide the correct include path for uuid.h and link miniupnpd against libuuid.
Code:
--- a/asuswrt-merlin-380.58/release/src-rt-6.x.4708/router/Makefile    2016-03-20 15:45:51.000000000 -0600
+++ b/asuswrt-merlin-380.58/release/src-rt-6.x.4708/router/Makefile     2016-03-22 18:32:04.327682816 -0600
@@ -1789,9 +1789,9 @@
        PKG_CONFIG=false ARCH=$(PLATFORM) \
        $(MAKE) -C $@ -f Makefile.merlin $(PARALLEL_BUILD) \
            IPTABLESPATH=$(TOP)/$(IPTABLES) \
-           EXTRACFLAGS="-Os $(EXTRACFLAGS) -idirafter$(KERNEL_HEADER_DIR) -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections" \
-           LDFLAGS="$(EXTRALDFLAGS) -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -Wl,--gc-sections -L$(IPTC_LIBDIR)" \
-           LDLIBS="-Wl,--as-needed $(IPTC_LIBS)"
+           EXTRACFLAGS="-Os $(EXTRACFLAGS) -idirafter$(KERNEL_HEADER_DIR) -idirafter$(TOP)/e2fsprogs/lib -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections" \
+           LDFLAGS="$(EXTRALDFLAGS) -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -Wl,--gc-sections -L$(IPTC_LIBDIR) -L$(TOP)/e2fsprogs/lib" \
+           LDLIBS="-Wl,--as-needed $(IPTC_LIBS) -luuid"

miniupnpd-clean:
        -@$(MAKE) -C miniupnpd -f Makefile.merlin clean

Last edited:
It doesn't work. I require a WAN Internet port, not LAN.
It is possible to setup Internet VLAN ID via wizard only, but it is missing under LAN / IPTV / Manual Setting:

So the actual issue is just that the Internet field is missing, not that IPTV isn't working at all, that's correct?

If it's the only issue, I know it's already fixed in Asus's newer code (at least I've seen that field on the 2345 firmwares).

Last edited:
So the actual issue is just that the Internet field is missing, not that IPTV isn't working at all?

If it's the only issue, I know it's already fixed in Asus's newer code (at least I've seen that field on the 2345 firmwares).

Yes, that's the only issue. IPTV is working when being setup via Wizard connection but it is not possible to set it manually without using wizard, since the field is missing.

I have an RT-N66R Asus router. I am also getting the following error message when trying to apply this upgrade: "Firmware upgrade unsuccessful. This may result from incorrect image or error transmission. Please check the version of firmware and try again." Have tried multiple downloads (checksum OK) and different browsers. The error persists. Thanks.

I have an RT-N66R Asus router. I am also getting the following error message when trying to apply this upgrade: "Firmware upgrade unsuccessful. This may result from incorrect image or error transmission. Please check the version of firmware and try again." Have tried multiple downloads (checksum OK) and different browsers. The error persists. Thanks.

Unplug all USB devices from the router. Reboot and wait 5 minutes.

Flash new firmware and reset to factory defaults and reconfigure minimally and manually.

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/no...l-and-manual-configuration.27115/#post-205573

So far this is the best FW to date for my AC 3200 , getting 30 MBPS transfer rates on my computer 30 feet and 4 walls away from router , best before this was 15-18 MBPS , computer and router are in same position, nothing but FW upgrade on router . 2 days 20 hours uptime with no problems yet .
Saves lots of time with backups , thanks !

Hi Merlin,

I've just rolled back to 378.56_2 on my RT-AC68U...

My internet connection is 3G/4G wireless only, with a Sierra 320U modem on Telstra in Australia. With 380.58 the modem refused to connect. Not for lack of trying! A factory reset followed by a reconfig from scratch made no difference either. After rolling back and restoring my settings I am back in business again.

The router detected the Sierra 320U normally but presumably failed to initialise it or communicate my log-on details...

That said, 378.56_2 has been rock solid for me, but 380.57 was too, except for the 2.4GHz wifi issue that killed it for me.

Cheers,
Rob

Edit: Corrected 380.58 to 380.57 above, but I guess no-one else has any 3G/4G issues?

Hi!
I had the same problem with 380.58 beta on RT-AC68U. On 380.57 the modem works well.

To those having issues with IPTV, please go to this thread. I've been in talk with Asus about it, and they aren't aware of any issues at this time.

Make sure you re-test again using the latest OFFICIAL firmware, to confirm that the problem lies in the Asus code, and not some issue introduced specifically in my firmware.
I've posted in that thread, but I thought I would update here. I tested using the latest official Asus firmware and my IPTV service worked just fine. For me at least, it only seems to be an issue with 380.58.

I've posted in that thread, but I thought I would update here. I tested using the latest official Asus firmware and my IPTV service worked just fine. For me at least, it only seems to be an issue with 380.58.

Could be an issue with either 380_2345 (there's no Asus release for the RT-AC68U based on that code to compare unfortunately), or something else that broke with the newer udpxy version.

Try again Asus's firmware once they release a new version for the RT-AC68U - a new beta for that model should be available soon.

Upgraded from 380.57 to 380.58 and it went more smoothly. Had issues with 380.57 seeing the modem after a reboot (it required a modem reboot) and did not have the issue with this version. Really like the disable hourly network scan feature, I was getting tired of the NAS and printer being on and not knowing why. Thanks Merlin.

Hi Merlin,

I've just rolled back to 378.56_2 on my RT-AC68U...

My internet connection is 3G/4G wireless only, with a Sierra 320U modem on Telstra in Australia. With 380.58 the modem refused to connect. Not for lack of trying! A factory reset followed by a reconfig from scratch made no difference either. After rolling back and restoring my settings I am back in business again.

The router detected the Sierra 320U normally but presumably failed to initialise it or communicate my log-on details...

That said, 378.56_2 has been rock solid for me, but 380.57 was too, except for the 2.4GHz wifi issue that killed it for me.

Cheers,
Rob

Edit: Corrected 380.58 to 380.57 above, but I guess no-one else has any 3G/4G issues?

I also have only 3G wan, modem ZTE MF102, and it's also not working with 58. Previously had 44 working without problems. With 58, single or dual wan, also doing the factory reset and manual reconfiguration, nothing. Update from 58 to 56_2 and immediately after firmware flash it started to work. Afterwards I did factory reset and reconfiguration just in case, you never know with the downgrades.

Just had a complete lockup on my rt-ac68p after 30 hours or so. I'm going through the syslog to see if I see anything and so far the only thing that stands out is some dhcp error because it can't write to disk. Looks like its time to resetup my syslog server at home. If it locks up again I may go back to 56_2.

Firmware 380.59 everything works! RT-AC87U
Thank Merlin :)

ps: Not see clients in the router 380.59_phantom

Attachments

• IPTV.png
    IPTV.png
    25.3 KB · Views: 671
  • клиенты.png
    клиенты.png
    9.4 KB · Views: 446
Last edited:
Hi,

Updated RT-AC68U to 380.58 recently and still having issue where after approx 15minutes lost possibility to telnet/ssh (can't fork) and sometimes cannot login to web interface
reboot solves issue for next 15 minutes
when above happens i can use internet (unless there is no request for DHCP - due to failed to write /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases: No space left on device (retry in 60s) or dnsmasq[432]: failed to allocate 1028 bytes)

df -h shows tmpfs growing up to approx 84% and when is less than 20MB left issue appear - first is "can't fork" in telnet.
ls -lh /tmp doesn't show any enormous file (the largest is 20kB syslog.log)
i assume tmpfs is for caching purpose and should be free "on demand" so shouldn't cause RAM overload. am I right ? however this is my suspect.
JFFS is enabled that you can see on snapshot below.

of the shelf asus firmware works good and doesn't have above issue. I'd like to use MErlin's advantages ... :)

as per the latest observation - when problem with RAM and can't fork appears it looks like some memory is free to use but .. there is 0 of nvram.
see attached snapshot.
should I log this somewhere to be troubleshooted ?

3-24-2016 12-48-21 AM.jpg

darrinmc, this happens to me all the time. I don't think it is related to 380.57 or 380.58. For me anyway the issue appears to be with attached drives that require just little more power then what the router can provide (current working theory) then it goes into some panic state and login doesn't work either does access to the internet, however wireless and wired remains intact. I have not found a solution, but I would be curious to know if you have any attached usb harddrives to your device. This happens with both the n66u and ac87u for me. Anyway, likely a candidate for a separate topic, as I would be curious to chase this one down.

I have about 25 devices variously attached but no drives whatsoever. Curious.

The last two releases my Internet traffic aka wan doesn't show up in the traffic analyzer in the Web app or android asus app. I see wired and wireless only. Any ideas?

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!