What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 380.59 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

This version is not compatible with all previously released ASUS firmware and uncertified third party firmware. <-- God damn it, I missed that part! :mad:

Must be annoying for Merlin that ASUS shipped new firmware just two days after latest Merlin version went out.

It is, however, good to see that 2-3 year old routers like my RT-AC68U are still actively & officially supported by manufacturer with both security fixes, new features, and generally better user interfaces influenced by Merlin.

Merlin 380.59.0 still seems to avoid the 2.4GHz challenges it had on .57 and .58
My LG-TV stays connected and more reliable than ever.
No other change in surroundings.

Thanks for the update!
No VOIP problems like in the past but have one question:
Just wondering since I never noticed this before...
I have my 5Ghz band turned off but noticed that it still reports temperature 41C
The 2.4Ghz is about 42C and CPU 67C
Is this normal?
Thanks

RT-AC87U as Main Router with Merlin 380.39
RT-AC66U as Repeater with Merlin 372.34

1. RT-AC66U fail to connect RT-AC87U on 380.39. They work completely with 380.38. I try disable MU-MIMO, but same problem.

2. When I update RT-AC66U to any 380.xx. It's fail to connect after 1-2 hours. It's always reboot automatically. I'm test with latest Official 380 firmware. But it doesn't use.

Thank you so much.

i have a issue also
Upgraded mu rt68u from RT-AC68U_380.58_0 to RT-AC68U_380.59_0

i use jffs and a firewall script
now i cannot access remote my router
Here my script:
#!/bin/sh
touch /tmp/@@@services-start
/usr/sbin/iptables -I INPUT -s xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -p tcp --destination-port 5445 -j ACCEPT
/usr/sbin/iptables -I INPUT -s xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -p tcp --destination-port 22 -j ACCEPT
/usr/sbin/iptables -t nat -I VSERVER -p tcp -m tcp -s xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx --dport 80 -j DNAT --to 192.168.6.210:80
/usr/sbin/iptables -t nat -I VSERVER -p tcp -m tcp -s xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx --dport 8080 -j DNAT --to 192.168.6.201:80
/usr/sbin/iptables -t nat -I VSERVER -p tcp -m tcp -s xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx --dport 8081 -j DNAT --to 192.168.6.251:80
/usr/sbin/iptables -t nat -I VSERVER -p tcp -m tcp -s xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx --dport 5000 -j DNAT --to 192.168.6.210:5000
/usr/sbin/iptables -t nat -I VSERVER -p tcp -m tcp -s xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx --dport 5001 -j DNAT --to 192.168.6.210:5001
/usr/sbin/iptables -t nat -I VSERVER -p tcp -m tcp -s xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx --dport 6789 -j DNAT --to 192.168.6.210:6789

The first 2 rules seems not to work and these are for access the router port 5445 for http and the ssh
The other rules work good.
what is wrong?
the xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx ip is everywhere the same and it is my work ip number.
Oke installed de old version back RT-AC68U_380.58_0
and everything works again

Hi
Thank you Merlin for all your efforts on this great firmware.

I just updated to 380.59 on AC87U to find all my DLNA devices disappeared. Checked with smart TV, laptops and smart phones all showing nothing. DLNA I miss is synology NAS media server but equally effects other DLNA devices which usually appear (though I don't in practice use) e.g. windows DLNA, logitech server etc. Other networking functions remain functioning as normal.

Downgrading back to previous merlin release on the AC87U fixes the problem and all DLNA devices show up again.

Is there a setting which I am overlooking in the 380.59 firmware or is this a bug?

Many thanks for your help!

I'n not having any problems with DNLA, perhaps try waiting a while or reboot your devices.

I have some trouble coming from John's fork.
The update on my AC66U went well but on my AC68U : no luck, firmware stays with John's version :confused:

I have tried nearly everything : clearing nvram through Putty, before and after flashing, unplugged USB, reflashed, factory reset and so on...
Any idea?

I have some trouble coming from John's fork.
The update on my AC66U went well but on my AC68U : no luck, firmware stays with John's version :confused:

I have tried nearly everything : clearing nvram through Putty, before and after flashing, unplugged USB, reflashed, factory reset and so on...
Any idea?

You have to upgrade the 68 in steps if coming from an older version. Flash Merlin 378.55 then flash this latest build and it will work.

/usr/sbin/iptables -I INPUT -s xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -p tcp --destination-port 5445 -j ACCEPT
/usr/sbin/iptables -I INPUT -s xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -p tcp --destination-port 22 -j ACCEPT

The INPUT chain is only for traffic intended for the router itself. It doesn't affect traffic intended for the LAN.

Only gripes it is not in the changelog on P1 of this thread - and nothing on the web page to encourage you to start clicking on the column headers - a hidden gem?

It's in the Changelog: https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/blob/master/Changelog.txt#L33

Must be annoying for Merlin that ASUS shipped new firmware just two days after latest Merlin version went out.

No, because the development cycle for 380.59 was already ended. Merging any new GPL would have to wait for 380.60 anyway, as it will involve another 4-6 weeks of development time.

Merlin 380.59.0 still seems to avoid the 2.4GHz challenges it had on .57 and .58

Asus fixed the issue in GPL 2695 that is used for 380.59.

have my 5Ghz band turned off but noticed that it still reports temperature 41C
The 2.4Ghz is about 42C and CPU 67C

That means you have an RT-AC87U. The 5 GHz on that router also includes a CPU, so it can't be completely shut down.

Hi, I got an R66U just upgraded, at first it was sluggish and kicked me out every time after less than a minute, so I had to factory reset, everything looks ok at the time, the other thing I noticed was the change in the SSH settings, about the LAN and WAN, but I use a SSH key so I placed it back as usual but when I log in now it does not ask for the key password, something it did before also, so now somebody with the key will log in automatically, and before it asked for the password, what do I have to do to make it ask for the password again?, I did something early with putty to get the key back, dont know if it saves it... thanks

@Merlin

It is possible to add (FreeDNS (afraid.org)) to the list of DDNS services?

Thank you Merlin for great job.

RT-AC68U

@Merlin

Thank you Merlin for great job.

RT-AC68U
You can doit with ddns-start script look in wiki for details.

I am looking for the option to run NTP Server on the router, and I can't find it.
Is it an option only present into John's build?

Firstly, thank you RMerlin for your hard work and excellent modded firmwares. I have been a (donating) lurker for a while. :)

I realise this isn't strictly Merlin related but I have the RT-AC87U and was happy to see the MU-MIMO update in this FW rev. I also have the EA-AC87 to extend my WLAN. My understanding is that these were sister products, yet I can't find any official FW update for the latter with similar MU-MIMO update. Am I blind or is Asus dragging their heels / has just forgotten about this product?
Here is the answer to my query.

Hi. I just installed the latest version of Merlin on my ASUS RT-N66U router. When I go to the Astrill VPN Menu after logging into the router, I get this error message:
Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at 192.168.1.1:8998.
Any suggestions? Thanks.

Not adding any new DDNS provider, as this would require me to constantly update it whenever the providers changed their interface.

I am looking for the option to run NTP Server on the router, and I can't find it.
Is it an option only present into John's build?

There's no ntp server in my firmware.

Hi. I just installed the latest version of Merlin on my ASUS RT-N66U router. When I go to the Astrill VPN Menu after logging into the router, I get this error message:
Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at 192.168.1.1:8998.
Any suggestions? Thanks.

The Astrill plugin is currently not compatible due to a change Asus made with the lighttpd server that Astrill were relying upon.

Ok just iv tried that it seems to Drop connection all of a sudden then takes about 2min to come back this is wired connection and wireless

First off all, thank you for all the hard work.

I have update my RN-N66U from 380.58 -> 380.59 few hours ago.
I started seeing issues with clients not showing up in the client list. I saw the number of connected clients but no luck trying to get them in the drop-downs throughout the interface.
I have done the factory reset to no avail.
In addition to clients not showing up in the UI where you should normally see them, I have seen that Tools page is displaying "Querying switch..." in the Ethernet Ports section. No amount of reboots/resets would fix that.

I flashed back to 380.58 and things started working again.

--- edit ---
I found this post just a minute ago: http://www.snbforums.com/threads/be...-beta-2-is-available.32266/page-9#post-258419

What invalid host name would that be, the one with the space in it, a hyphenated one?

I have this problem as well (clients stopped showing up in the client list, and "Querying switch...." on the Tools page in the Ethernet Ports section. I think I have a clue what's up here....the problems reproduce in Firefox, and not Chrome.

Looking in Chrome, on the Tools Page, Ethernet Ports, there's a table. The last column is "Last Device Seen". As I recall, there should be hostnames here. in 380.59, there are MAC addresses here. That's probably causing the UI to blow up on Firefox, since the colon characters in MAC addresses wouldn't be valid in hostnames. I guess Chrome is more tolerant of the error and lets this render anyway.

Merlin--could you take a look and see if this is the issue?

Hi Merlin, I used to see a lot of that error with the earlier builds. This error used to fill my syslog.

With the .58 update the error came down drastically to a single line a few times a day.

After the upgrade to.59, i haven't seen the error in the last 6 odd hours of up-time.

I was seeing these alot on my RT-AC68U router. So I decided to retire the AC68U after a couple of years and get a RT-AC87U and don't see those L/npch trunciations. I did have problems with the 5 ghz channels and had to hardcode the channel codes on nvram and commit. It seems to be working now there are no log errors with 5 ghz wireless connections.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!