What's new

Beta Asuswrt-Merlin 386.1 Beta is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am using Adaptive QOS on the automatic setting. Should I switch to manual? Is that where the bandwidth values would be entered?
Thanks for the help
It's generally accepted that the automatic setting is inferior to the manual setting. Most people recommend:
  1. Perform speed test with QOS off using wired connection.
  2. Set upload/download speeds to 85-90% of those numbers (the upload speed is the most important one here).
  3. Set "priorities" using the QOS UI. In your case, that probably means video streaming.

It's generally accepted that the automatic setting is inferior to the manual setting. Most people recommend:
  2. Set upload/download speeds to 85-90% of those numbers (the upload speed is the most important one here).
  3. Set "priorities" using the QOS UI. In your case, that probably means video streaming.
And look at installing flexqos, it substantially improves qos.

Hi. I was happy to see a merlin version for my ac-2900. The stock version was always crashing.
I did want to test vpn client but it keeps failing. I add the cert and key info but it looks like it is not saving. In the log I can see that it keeps asking to select a ca file. Anyone that can help. Thanks

Thanks for the tips. I’ll give it go.

Can you point in the direction of installing flexqos? I don’t see it on the GUI
Cake-QoS is another alternative you might consider for your use case. both have threads in the Asuswrt-Merlin Add-Ons subforum.

Can you point in the direction of installing flexqos? I don’t see it on the GUI
you would need to ssh into the router and run amtm command to install. Then it will show up in the router for settings.
As heysoundude mentioned, cake-qos works pretty good, but gives you zero control over priority of apps/devices. Which I pretty much require with only 25/2 internet and 40 devices.

I do know how to get past the GUI hang. SSH in, look for the nt_center process that is eating all the CPU, kill -9 it.

It's in the Changelog.

Code:
  - NOTE: Some users upgrading might have to go through some
          database maintenance on first boot, which means the
          router might be slower or have a non-responsive webui
          for a while.
          This can take anywhere from 5 minutes up to an hour,
          depending on your model, just give it time to complete
          the process.

Does the firmware update recognise any new Merlin beta versions when they become available (from GUI or mobile app)

Anyone else having issues with this build on the RT-AC3100?

I have noticed this error being spammed like once per 30 seconds..
Code:
rc_service: watchdog 415:notify_rc start_cfgsync

Also the "QoS - WAN/LAN Bandwidth Monitor" page seems to be not working, log shows this..
Code:
kernel: Init chrdev /dev/idp with major 190
kernel: tdts: tcp_conn_max = 8000
kernel: tdts: tcp_conn_timeout = 300 sec
kernel: SHN Release Version: 2.0.1 f45bb18
kernel: UDB Core Version: 0.2.20
kernel: Init chrdev /dev/idpfw with major 191
kernel: IDPfw: IDPfw is ready
kernel: sizeof forward pkt param = 192
BWDPI: fun bitmap = 3
kernel: IDPfw: Exit IDPfw
kernel: mod epilog takes 0 jiffies
kernel: IDPfw: Exit IDPfw
kernel: Exit chrdev /dev/idpfw with major 191
kernel: Exit chrdev /dev/idp with major 190

Edit: it seems at least part 2 of my question is fixed with beta 2. However what about the annoying every 30 second watchdog start_cfgsync error?

Last edited:
RT-AC68U beta 2: LAN|DHCP settings, I have the router ip4 address set as DNS servers 1 & 2, also router ip set for WAN|DNS servers 1 & 2. My Android phone configured for DHCP sets DNS2 as 8.8.8.8.

With version 384.19 my phone DNS servers set by DHCP were both the router ip.

beta 1 same behaviour as beta 2.

I made a Factory reset before updating from previous version and set manually all the settings.
When I tried to restore jffs partition from backup I entered in the loop where I cannot access to the GUI again.
Any suggestion?

Look at the link in my signature below for the best practices method to get your router to a good/known state (it's not now).

All the links found here may be helpful, but the M&M Config and the Nuclear Reset guides should be a good start.

As a general overview, flash the firmware you want first. Reset to factory defaults. Configure the router minimally and manually (do not use a saved backup file.

The links give more information, including changing some defaults to better values.

Does the firmware update recognise any new Merlin beta versions when they become available (from GUI or mobile app)

No, I no longer publish beta builds to the update server.

Anyone else having issues with this build on the RT-AC3100?

Related to what I posted in the second post of this thread. This service is related to AiMesh.

RT-AC68U beta 2: LAN|DHCP settings, I have the router ip4 address set as DNS servers 1 & 2, also router ip set for WAN|DNS servers 1 & 2.

That configuration makes no sense. You need a proper DNS server on the WAN page, you can't have the router point at itself, and then have clients also pointing at the router - nobody is going to be able to resolve anything with this configuration.

That configuration makes no sense. You need a proper DNS server on the WAN page, you can't have the router point at itself, and then have clients also pointing at the router - nobody is going to be able to resolve anything with this configuration.

I've changed the DNS setting on the WAN page to 'connect to DNS server automatically' (I'm using DoT). Still getting 8.8.8.8 as the second DNS server on my phone.

Change the DNS servers on the WAN page to the DNS servers you're using for DoT. This may still not change what your phone is doing. Is it a 'pure' Google phone with hardcoded servers?

AX86U Merlin beta 1 speed test failed. This didn't occur in Merlin
speedtest failed.PNG
alpha 4.

Not failing here on the same hardware. Have you performed a full reset/format of the JFFS partition after flashing Beta 1?

Fastest speed I've ever seen with a speed test on any of my routers (shows 'Ultra'). 940Mbps up and down with 0.88ms Ping, 0.30ms Jitter, and 0.00% Loss.

anyone having issue with this beta built with dnsmasq.postconf?

I have been using dnsmasq.postconf to replace my ipv6 DNS entry for longest time. But since upgrading to 386.1 Beta it doesn't seem to work anymore

admin@RT-AX88U-2340:/jffs/scripts# cat dnsmasq.postconf
#!/bin/sh
CONFIG=$1
source /usr/sbin/helper.sh

pc_replace "dhcp-option=lan,option6:23,[::]" "dhcp-option=lan,option6:23,[2600:6c40:1c00:e84e:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx]" $CONFIiG
. /opt/share/diversion/file/post-conf.div # Added by Diversion

Not failing here on the same hardware. Have you performed a full reset/format of the JFFS partition after flashing Beta 1?

Fastest speed I've ever seen with a speed test on any of my routers (shows 'Ultra'). 940Mbps up and down with 0.88ms Ping, 0.30ms Jitter, and 0.00% Loss.
It's like what you said. Mine was dirty upgrade. After clean it, speed test is working. Thanks for clear it up.
Screenshot_20201214-134655_Chrome.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!