What's new

Beta Asuswrt-Merlin 386.1 Beta is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi @merlin, first of all thanks for your continuing support of ASUS routers with your great firmware. absolutely incredible job.

i just flashed my AC86U from 384.19 to the new beta and my network, with a mesh-AC88U, multiple devices aswell as a NAS seems to work perfectly so far, but i cant open the Router settings page using the routers IP. i checked it in ipconfig /all aswell and ip of the router didnt change, i just cant access the settings, i dont know why. checked multiple devices.
As said before, my internet and LAN both work fine and all devices are found under their old IPs and everything.

Thanks!

//EDIT: nevermind, after trying 10 times in a row it just randomly started working all of a sudden right after i posted here and i can access everything normally. maybe its still a tiny bug you wanna look into :)

AX58U, This is working fantastic. Thanks @Merlin. Will this remain in Beta as long as Asus source code is also in Beta ?

Unsure yet, will depend on how stable things are in the Asus-specific portions. I may ask them for another GPL update during the beta cycle.

What would happen if I dirty flash and everything is working flawlessly, make it back-up. Conduct a factory reset and restore from my previously saved back-up. Would this also restore previously store nvram settings or I should be good?

That would invalidate any fix done by the factory default reset.

Hey guys. Having an odd issue and not sure why. I flashed both my 88U (router) and AC-3100 (Mesh node) to the new beta. On the 88U, after the install, I cleared out the nvam and bounced the device. Have that 3100 powered off upstairs as well. When the 88U comes back online, I get an IP, can ping, and get the the login page of the router. However, as soon as I put in my creds, I get nothing. Just a spinning wheel and no GUI. I've bounced the 88U numerous times and happens the same way after each boot.

Also, once I log in, if I close the tab/browser, I can't bring up another GUI page at all. The 88U requires a reboot in order to get the login page to come up again.

Anything I'm missing here? Have been flashing FW's since my WRT54G days, so, have been at this for a while. Thanks for any help!

Last edited:
Hey guys. Having an odd issue and not sure why. I flashed both my 88U (router) and AC-3100 (Mesh node) to the new beta. On the 88U, after the install, I cleared out the nvam and bounced the device. Have that 3100 powered off upstairs as well. When the 88U comes back online, I get an IP, can ping, and get the the login page of the router. However, as soon as I put in my creds, I get nothing. Just a spinning wheel and no GUI. I've bounced the 88U numerous times and happens the same way after each boot.

Also, once I log in, if I close the tab/browser, I can't bring up another GUI page at all. The 88U requires a reboot in order to get the login page to come up again.

Anything possible I'm missing here? Have been flashing FW's since my WRT54G days, so, have been at this for a while. Thanks for any help!

Give it some time. If you just flashed from a quite older firmware, it might be doing maintenance on some of its stored databases.

Give it some time. If you just flashed from a quite older firmware, it might be doing maintenance on some of its stored databases.

Even after clearing out NVRAM? It's been like this for 15-20 minutes as of now. Was running the latest stable before the flash, so the previous version wasn't very old.

*EDIT* Seem to be the device for sure. Booted up my laptop to try an login to the GUI and nothing. So it's not just a browser issue with my PC.

GeForceNow QoS support is set up the way one sets up Cake QOS. It Cake what is under the hood?

Seems like the RT-3100 still doesn't work with aimesh at this time even after the upload and flash on the new beta. I had to use the restore util and upload the firmware, but the device is not pingable even though the 3100 has an IP address.

If I do a restore on it and hook it straight up to my PC I can set it up that way.

Even after clearing out NVRAM? It's been like this for 15-20 minutes as of now. Was running the latest stable before the flash, so the previous version wasn't very old.

*EDIT* Seem to be the device for sure. Booted up my laptop to try an login to the GUI and nothing. So it's not just a browser issue with my PC.

Did you also check the checkbox saying to initialize everything? Otherwise, the databases in the /jffs partition won't be cleared.

GeForceNow QoS support is set up the way one sets up Cake QOS. It Cake what is under the hood?

No, it's still the same qsched, just that a few rules are pre-defined by nVidia. I don't know the rest of the details of the implementation.

I noticed that USB Application - Network Place (Samba) Share / Cloud Disk was on by default after factory reset. None of the other services were on. I think this should be off by default.

That has always been the case. Asus probably does that because if you do plug a USB disk, they expect you to also want to share it. If there's no USB disk plugged in, then samba won't interfere.

AC88U here. Dirty upgrade of 384.19 to 386.1 Beta. Took about 10 minutes after flashing for web interface to start loading properly after authentication.

Looks good otherwise.

Did you also check the checkbox saying to initialize everything? Otherwise, the databases in the /jffs partition won't be cleared.

Seems to be fixed after a hard reset using the button on the back of the unit.

I used SSH to issue an mtd-reset2 nvram after the FW upgrade. All good tho now. Thanks!

What’s the behavior of guest networks (on a 86U)?

Should I still not use GN1 for IoT devices, which I now do with 384.19?

(I want to dictate their IP addresses, in the same range as the regular network)

What’s the behavior of guest networks (on a 86U)?

Should I still not use GN1 for IoT devices, which I now do with 384.19?

(I want to dictate their IP addresses, in the same range as the regular network)

Same new behaviour, no idea if the RT-AC86U suffers from the same bug as the RT-AX88U. If you see anything abnormal in your system log, switch it to GN2 instead - it won`t matter if you don`t have AiMesh nodes.

I like the new website! Very clean.

Nice job @RMerlin - on both the new site and new major release!
Christmas came early ;-)

One minor comment/suggestion. On the Features area you might want to make a comment on amtm/addons.

Something like - User extensible addons for enhanced features/functions.

Hello everybody.
I think I've discovered a bug related to DDNS service with this new release.

I cannot obtain a Let's Encrypt certificate (it gets stuck in getting Authorization...)

Moreover the log shows a continuous update request (alias and IP deliberately modified here...)

Code:
ec  5 23:20:41 Mastiff: Got AAE_SIG_REMOTE_CONNECTION_TURNED_ON
Dec  5 23:20:41 rc_service: httpds 751:notify_rc restart_ddns
Dec  5 23:20:41 start_ddns: update FREEDNS.AFRAID.ORG default@freedns.afraid.org, wan_unit 0
Dec  5 23:20:42 inadyn[1436]: In-a-dyn version 2.7 -- Dynamic DNS update client.
Dec  5 23:20:44 inadyn[1436]: Update forced for alias my.site.com, new IP# 11.22.33.44
Dec  5 23:20:50 watchdog: start ddns.
Dec  5 23:20:50 rc_service: watchdog 756:notify_rc start_ddns
Dec  5 23:20:50 start_ddns: update FREEDNS.AFRAID.ORG default@freedns.afraid.org, wan_unit 0
Dec  5 23:20:50 inadyn[1454]: In-a-dyn version 2.7 -- Dynamic DNS update client.
Dec  5 23:20:52 inadyn[1454]: Update forced for alias my.site.com, new IP# 11.22.33.44
Dec  5 23:20:53 rc_service: httpds 751:notify_rc restart_ddns_le
Dec  5 23:20:54 start_ddns: update FREEDNS.AFRAID.ORG default@freedns.afraid.org, wan_unit 0
Dec  5 23:20:54 inadyn[1505]: In-a-dyn version 2.7 -- Dynamic DNS update client.
Dec  5 23:20:56 inadyn[1505]: Update forced for alias my.site.com, new IP# 11.22.33.44
Dec  5 23:21:23 watchdog: start ddns.
Dec  5 23:21:23 rc_service: watchdog 756:notify_rc start_ddns
Dec  5 23:21:23 start_ddns: update FREEDNS.AFRAID.ORG default@freedns.afraid.org, wan_unit 0
Dec  5 23:21:23 inadyn[1561]: In-a-dyn version 2.7 -- Dynamic DNS update client.
Dec  5 23:21:25 inadyn[1561]: Update forced for alias my.site.com, new IP# 11.22.33.44
Dec  5 23:21:57 watchdog: start ddns.
Dec  5 23:21:57 rc_service: watchdog 756:notify_rc start_ddns
Dec  5 23:21:57 start_ddns: update FREEDNS.AFRAID.ORG default@freedns.afraid.org, wan_unit 0
Dec  5 23:21:57 inadyn[1700]: In-a-dyn version 2.7 -- Dynamic DNS update client.
Dec  5 23:21:58 inadyn[1700]: Update forced for alias my.site.com, new IP# 11.22.33.44
Dec  5 23:22:27 watchdog: start ddns.
Dec  5 23:22:27 rc_service: watchdog 756:notify_rc start_ddns
Dec  5 23:22:27 start_ddns: update FREEDNS.AFRAID.ORG default@freedns.afraid.org, wan_unit 0
Dec  5 23:22:27 inadyn[1758]: In-a-dyn version 2.7 -- Dynamic DNS update client.
Dec  5 23:22:28 inadyn[1758]: Update forced for alias my.site.com, new IP# 11.22.33.44

Awesome! I'm holding off since I just upgraded to an RT-AX3000 and am testing settings on my network with AI Mesh and current configuration using 384.18.

Just sent a donation since I'm excited for AI Mesh 2.0!

Also noticed big changes to the website.

I like the new website! Very clean.

Nice job @RMerlin - on both the new site and new major release!
Christmas came early ;-)

One minor comment/suggestion. On the Features area you might want to make a comment on amtm/addons.

Something like - User extensible addons for enhanced features/functions.

I could probably add an explicit reference to the addon API if there isn`t one already.

I did add a section about Addons to the About page however.

Main reason for requiring a factory default reset after running the alpha builds is there has been a few changes to nvram over the course of these test builds. The biggest one is related to the WAN MTU settings, quite a few things will not work properly if you have the nvram settings established by the alpha builds. I don't want the beta test to be mislead by these errors, hence I'm asking a factory default reset if you ever ran the alpha builds.
I was running the Alpha and have not done a factory reset in a long time. Is it acceptable to backup configs and jffs (if needed) volume and restore both (if needed) after the reset? or best to screen shot everything and start from scratch.

ALSO i have found since the last alpha that outbound accepts are not being logged. I forward logs to splunk and thought it was a splunk problem but it's just not logging accepts. :( thoughts? fixes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!