What's new

Beta Asuswrt-Merlin 386.1 Beta is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everybody.
I think I've discovered a bug related to DDNS service with this new release.

I cannot obtain a Let's Encrypt certificate (it gets stuck in getting Authorization...)

LE renewals have always been quirky because a router is not really intended for that (as the validation requires your router to be remotely accessible for validation, something a web server would naturally be capable of). You could try deleting the existing LE content from jffs to force a new certificate to be issued, but if the issue is your router isn`t remotely reachable, then there`s not much you can do about it.

However if your DDNS doesn't get updated properly, then LE cannot reach you for validation. Enable ddns debugging to see why your update is failing.

Code:
nvram set ddns_debug=1 && nvram commit && service restart_ddns

So I reset my 3100 using the initialize button and having it plugged directly into my PC since I was using it as a aimesh node. I was able to login to the 3100, but I think the reason why since late alpha 3 - alpha 4 into beta 1, If you click on the aimesh piece, I see this. I have factory reset it and it doesn't allow you to add it. Only way to get it on as a node is either go with an early version of alpha or put it on the beta rc2-9. My other node 68u is fine without any issues.

Attachments

• aimesh.PNG
    aimesh.PNG
    430.4 KB · Views: 246
I have an RT-AC86U (running Merlin) and 2 AIMesh RT-AC68Us running Stock. Is it still recommended to run Merlin on the Main router and stock on the nodes? Or, should I upgrade all to Merlin?

Thanks

AX58U, This is working fantastic. Thanks @Merlin. Will this remain in Beta as long as Asus source code is also in Beta ?
I also have the RT-AX58U and did a clean upgrade to 386 Beta 1. It runs traffic well. And the GUI seems snappy. But like the Alpha builds, if I logon to the GUI and move around in the menu system, the router eventually takes a spontaneous restart. I am not sure what it is in the GUI causing this and I have not narrowed it down yet. But if I am in the GUI and I move around quickly in the menu system, after a couple minutes the GUI will hang and then the router takes a spontaneous restart. @RMerlin If there is any way to collect tracings, let me know and I'll do it. I suspect others can also replicate this by just logging into the GUI and moving around rapidly through the menu system.

3 x RT-AC66U B1 are reporting here. Dirty flash on all of them, the entire AiMesh system works flawlessly so far. Thank you, @RMerlin !

Regarding:
Is it still recommended to run Merlin on the Main router and stock on the nodes? Or, should I upgrade all to Merlin?

I still prefer Merlin on the nodes because of AMTM access and e.g. LED control scheduling.

Just dirty flashed from 384.19 to beta 1 on my AC88U. Was very tempted with the alphas but didn't have enough spare time to troubleshoot if something went wrong. Flash has gone well; it's been a few minutes but still can't access WebUI but from what others have said that's normal. Web browsing and wifi working as expected however; will report back once WebUI is up.

Thanks Merlin!

Here is the crashlog from my RT-AX58U on Beta 1. The crash occurred while logged into the GUI and moving about in the menu system rapidly. UPDATE: I just caused the crash again by navigating the menu system in the GUI (not making any changes to the system). This time, while I was looking at Wireless -> Professional settings the router crashed again. There is something up with the GUI (memory overflow) that is causing the router to crash.

Attachments

• RT-AX58U-crashlog-386Beta1-12052020.txt
    64.8 KB · Views: 197
  • RT-AX58U-crashlog-386Beta1-12052020-2.txt
    115 KB · Views: 217
Last edited:
Eric if you are upgrading from 386.1_alpha4-gd4b7146753 to Beta on RT-AX88U, is there any change between these two which warrant factory reset. I factory reset router every time I load new alpha and wondering is it required if coming from Alpha 4.

Also really new like new webpage layout, simple and clean layout.

Flashed one of my AX86U's with alpha 4 before I saw the beta is now avail, been running flawlessly for me so far, have not flashed beta as of yet. Once I finish testing on my second AX86u will flash beta to test then add to my main network AX86u router. @RMerlin Thanks for all your work on this.

Just to make sure i don't miss anything before updating: the factory reset will require me to reinstall all add-ons afterwards?

3 x RT-AC66U B1 are reporting here. Dirty flash on all of them, the entire AiMesh system works flawlessly so far. Thank you, @RMerlin !

Regarding:

I still prefer Merlin on the nodes because of AMTM access and e.g. LED control scheduling.

Thanks, but this is your preference. I (vaguely) remember reading RMerlin recommending that there was no real benefit to running Merlin on nodes and to run stock on nodes. Was I correct and has RMerlin changed his recommendation?

Also, why do you need AMTM on a node? The LED control doesn't matter to me because I can't see the nodes anyhow.

Thanks

So I reset my 3100 using the initialize button and having it plugged directly into my PC since I was using it as a aimesh node. I was able to login to the 3100, but I think the reason why since late alpha 3 - alpha 4 into beta 1, If you click on the aimesh piece, I see this. I have factory reset it and it doesn't allow you to add it. Only way to get it on as a node is either go with an early version of alpha or put it on the beta rc2-9. My other node 68u is fine without any issues.

Having the same issue with my 3100 as well with Beta1. Got my 88u up and running as my router. When I plug the 3100 into another computer, it's sitting at the setup screen. However, when I try to connect it to my network normally as a Mesh node, my 88U can't find it. It's also not listed on the client list. Going to try reverting to an earlier alpha to see if I can get it to connect.

In the category of whoops I did it again! I'd appreciate it if others with the RT-AX58U could do a quick negative test to see if you can duplicate the GUI crashes that I am seeing on 386 Beta 1.

Test case:
- login to the GUI (I am using latest Chrome but browser likely makes no difference)
- starting with Network Map work your way down the menu system and select each menu option, each time you select a left hand menu option, within each menu select each of the sub menus (just click on them don't change anything)
- work your way up and down the menu list
- after about 2-4 minutes your router will crash

Yes, I crashed the router a 3rd and 4th time. Whoops, I did it again! @RMerlin I believe you also have the RT-AX58U, would be interesting if you also can replicate this fault.

1607210689539.png

With the new adaptive QoS Settings. What would you then recommend for gaming if fq_codel is no longer supported

try sfq, as I have been running it now for over a week, and no outstanding issues so far, as I wanted to test it first before upgrading to V386.1, whether Beta or Final (depending on my time to implement).

Thanks, but this is your preference. I (vaguely) remember reading RMerlin recommending that there was no real benefit to running Merlin on nodes and to run stock on nodes. Was I correct and has RMerlin changed his recommendation?

Also, why do you need AMTM on a node? The LED control doesn't matter to me because I can't see the nodes anyhow.

Thanks

Yes, indeed - this merely my humble personal preference :cool: Largely driven by the fact that one of the nodes is located in the kid’s room and the other in the master bedroom. Neither location particularly keen on disco lights late at night and both likely to forget to switch the LEDs manually off every evening (in stock firmware).

As for the official reco:

My reading is that there is nothing fundamentally wrong about running Merlin on the nodes. Not persuading anybody to anything, just sharing good experience of a happy all-merliner ;)

Hmm... I have the same LE stuck at authorizing status bug that @WillyTP is facing - but DDNS is working properly. I had done the factory defaults + initialized as recommended, and hand inputted all settings again. But I also copied the previous OpenVPN keys as well - is this what's causing the problem?

Yes, indeed - this merely my humble personal preference :cool: Largely driven by the fact that one of the nodes is located in the kid’s room and the other in the master bedroom. Neither location particularly keen on disco lights late at night and both likely to forget to switch the LEDs manually off every evening (in stock firmware).

As for the official reco:

My reading is that there is nothing fundamentally wrong about running Merlin on the nodes. Not persuading anybody to anything, just sharing good experience of a happy all-merliner ;)

Thanks for the link. RMerlin says:

" While Merlin-based nodes seem to work fine so far (aside from the above limitation), there is generally little benefit in running it on a node, so it's generally recommended to leave your nodes on the stock Asus firmware. "

I knew I read it somewhere. I am guessing that recommendation stands for AiMesh 2.0

Been an hour now and GUI still isn't up on my AC88U, tried SSH'ing in via Putty and that worked fine. I'll give it another hour or so then I'll power it off and on again and see if it comes up

Been an hour now and GUI still isn't up on my AC88U, tried SSH'ing in via Putty and that worked fine. I'll give it another hour or so then I'll power it off and on again and see if it comes up

Same with my RT-AC86U (but only 50 min). Anyone elses RT-AC86U GUI come up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!