What's new

Beta Asuswrt-Merlin 386.1 Beta is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
RT-AC5300 and RT-AC3100 AiMesh/networkmap issues should be resolved (these two models were both failing hardware validation, these proprietary services thought they were running on a different router model).

I still can't flash any of these new 386 firmwares on my AX58u, the router just reboots. Only resetting the router allows me to upgrade. I've attached my syslog with the crashlog if anybody wants to take a look and decipher whats going on.

Which exact firmware image are you trying to flash?

Code:
OpenVPN server daemon failed to start. 
Please check your device environment or contents on the Advanced Setting page
Any idea what I should look for?

My OpenVPN configuration is rather old. Maybe something with ciphers?

Code:
AES-256-GCM:AES-128-GCM:AES-256-CBC:AES-128-CBC

Oh:
Code:
Dec  6 22:34:46 ovpn-server1[2666]: --cipher is not set. Previous OpenVPN version defaulted to BF-CBC as fallback when cipher negotiation failed in this case. If you need this fallback please add '--data-ciphers-fallback BF-CBC' to your configuration and/or add BF-CBC to --data-ciphers.
Dec  6 22:34:46 ovpn-server1[2666]: WARNING: cannot stat file 'server.key': No such file or directory (errno=2)
Dec  6 22:34:46 ovpn-server1[2666]: Options error: --key fails with 'server.key': No such file or directory (errno=2)
Dec  6 22:34:46 ovpn-server1[2666]: Options error: Please correct these errors.
Dec  6 22:34:46 ovpn-server1[2666]: Use --help for more information.
Dec  6 22:34:46 openvpn: Starting OpenVPN server 1 failed!

Apparently the server.key field was empty after the upgrade... After filling that in again the OpenVPN server starts as usual.

Are you sure? Because I never implemented any ECC support to httpd.
Re-test without any third party script.

Completely sure Eric, since my router day 1, My ECC cert was working perfectly, using prime256v1 curve. In fact, when I updated and I have been looking at the possible problem, by SFTP I verified that they were correctly in /jffs/.cert, and they were my usual certificates, but instead of them the Router was using its own self-signed, which I gave counts at the moment by the warning of the browser itself. That as I said, I have solved it by generating a new one using the ECC cert as a template and an RSA key.

Regarding QoS, I have uninstalled FlexQoS and made sure there was nothing left. I have upgraded to the new build that you released a while ago for the AX58U and the problem persists. The Router correctly identifies the connections, but for practical purposes QoS does not seem to be working, at least in adaptive. The log does not return anything, the configuration file /tmp/bwdpi/qosd.conf is not generated. I have seen in another thread another user who had the exact same problem with an AX58U also, but with Alpha3, in his case he reformatted the JFFS without success. Any ideas before fully reset the Router?

Have someone tested 2.5Ghz port on RT-AX86U, I have briefly tested and not get it working. Tested against my pc only.

Everything related to AiMesh is outside of my control.

Try rebooting.

Impossible to predict, as it will depend on whether nvram-related issues are uncovered during the beta cycle.

Hi @RMerlin,
about the Let's Encrypt issue,
I already tried to reboot many times without luck.

I don't know what else to do in order to further inquire this problem.
Should you have any idea please let me know, if I can I'd be glad to help.

Last minute news:
I've found this in the log:
Code:
Dec  6 12:54:07 WMPP-RT-AC68U custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/service-event (args: restart letsencrypt)
Dec  6 12:54:20 WMPP-RT-AC68U kernel: [Sun Dec  6 12:54:20 MEZ 2020] Domains not changed.
Dec  6 12:54:20 WMPP-RT-AC68U kernel: [Sun Dec  6 12:54:20 MEZ 2020] Skip, Next renewal time is: Thu Feb  4 11:27:23 UTC 2021
Dec  6 12:54:20 WMPP-RT-AC68U kernel: [Sun Dec  6 12:54:20 MEZ 2020] Add '--force' to force to renew.
Dec  6 12:59:59 WMPP-RT-AC68U kernel: htb: htb qdisc 11: is non-work-conserving?
Dec  6 13:00:01 WMPP-RT-AC68U rc_service: service 8833:notify_rc restart_letsencrypt
Dec  6 13:00:01 WMPP-RT-AC68U custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/service-event (args: restart letsencrypt)
Dec  6 13:00:06 WMPP-RT-AC68U kernel: [Sun Dec  6 13:00:06 MEZ 2020] Please refer to https://curl.haxx.se/libcurl/c/libcurl-errors.html for error code: 35
Dec  6 13:00:06 WMPP-RT-AC68U kernel: [Sun Dec  6 13:00:06 MEZ 2020] Can not init api.
Dec  6 13:00:06 WMPP-RT-AC68U kernel: [Sun Dec  6 13:00:06 MEZ 2020] Domains not changed.
Dec  6 13:00:07 WMPP-RT-AC68U kernel: [Sun Dec  6 13:00:07 MEZ 2020] Skip, Next renewal time is: Thu Feb  4 11:27:23 UTC 2021
Dec  6 13:00:07 WMPP-RT-AC68U kernel: [Sun Dec  6 13:00:07 MEZ 2020] Add '--force' to force to renew.
Dec  6 13:52:54 WMPP-RT-AC68U kernel: htb: htb qdisc 10: is non-work-conserving?
Dec  6 13:59:00 WMPP-RT-AC68U rc_service: service 16825:notify_rc restart_letsencrypt
Dec  6 13:59:00 WMPP-RT-AC68U custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/service-event (args: restart letsencrypt)
Dec  6 13:59:05 WMPP-RT-AC68U kernel: [Sun Dec  6 13:59:05 MEZ 2020] Domains not changed.
Dec  6 13:59:05 WMPP-RT-AC68U kernel: [Sun Dec  6 13:59:05 MEZ 2020] Skip, Next renewal time is: Thu Feb  4 11:27:23 UTC 2021
Dec  6 13:59:05 WMPP-RT-AC68U kernel: [Sun Dec  6 13:59:05 MEZ 2020] Add '--force' to force to renew.

Best regards

[QUOTE="RMerlin, post: 638633]

VPN issues with brand new - RT-AX86U after upgrade to 386.1 beta from stock firmware

Thanks for this. Everything works perfect except for my VPNs.

I upload the OVPNs from the providers and follow the config instructions but nothing seems to work.

I'm keep getting: Error - check configuration! on all my VPN configs (PIA and Nord VPN)

See system logs from router below

For NORD VPN
Dec 6 16:27:35 rc_service: httpd 1388:notify_rc start_vpnclient2
Dec 6 16:27:35 ovpn-client2[32267]: Options error: You must define CA file (--ca) or CA path (--capath)
Dec 6 16:27:35 ovpn-client2[32267]: Use --help for more information.
Dec 6 16:27:35 openvpn: Starting OpenVPN client 2 failed!

For PIA VPN
Dec 6 16:30:05 rc_service: httpd 1388:notify_rc start_vpnclient1
Dec 6 16:30:05 ovpn-client1[700]: DEPRECATED OPTION: --cipher set to 'aes-128-cbc' but missing in --data-ciphers (AES-256-GCM:AES-128-GCM:AES-256-CBC:AES-128-CBC). Future OpenVPN version will ignore --cipher for cipher negotiations. Add 'aes-128-cbc' to --data-ciphers or change --cipher 'aes-128-cbc' to --data-ciphers-fallback 'aes-128-cbc' to silence this warning.
Dec 6 16:30:05 ovpn-client1[700]: Options error: You must define CA file (--ca) or CA path (--capath)
Dec 6 16:30:05 ovpn-client1[700]: Use --help for more information.
Dec 6 16:30:05 openvpn: Starting OpenVPN client 1 failed!

i see the "define ca file" in both error logs but the CAs were part of the ovpns, plus that part of the ui is no longer visible anymore, so i can't define the ca file even if i wanted to.
I'm kind of a newbie to this so I would appreciate help here. Thanks

Last edited:
RT-AC5300 and RT-AC3100 AiMesh/networkmap issues should be resolved (these two models were both failing hardware validation, these proprietary services thought they were running on a different router model).
Is this version of RT-AC3100 able to be downloaded yet? I'll give it a test.

ac68u is giving me constant reboot
did a fact reset, but it is unreachable after a while, I will try to downgrade to 384.19 because this isn't the way

Well, for example I tried this afternoon to flash the image you posted this afternoon for the AX58u and it wouldn't flash, just reboots.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AuCcWdNeYuXMgZkbpE7vJU07Z34Epw?e=w7QpyN

Try doing a factory default reset first, configure just basic Wifi, then immediately proceed to flashing the new firmware. Your router might be crashing because you have settings that try to access the broken hardware acceleration system. If it still fails, flash it while in Recovery Mode.

Hi @RMerlin,
about the Let's Encrypt issue,
I already tried to reboot many times without luck.

Renewal worked for me a few hours ago when I turned on my RT-AC5300 for the first time in 6+ months, however the router didn't use the renewed certificate. According to your log so did yours, since it mentions the next renewal date is now in two months. I haven't had time to check any further, but I expect the new certificate would get used after the next reboot.

i see the "define ca file" in both error logs but the CAs were part of the ovpns, plus that part of the ui is no longer visible anymore, so i can't define the ca file even if i wanted to.

Either paste it on the Certificates page, or just re-import the .ovpn file from NordVPN.

Is this version of RT-AC3100 able to be downloaded yet? I'll give it a test.

No, I haven't recompiled it.

Nice work!!, do you support AX82U?, I Hope so i have GT-AC2900 too this is amazing!
Someone know about this?, if in the future have support ax82u?

I seem to have a major issue with JFFS on my AX88U.

Installed 386 Beta 1 and discovered issues running the Astrill Router applet. Did a factory reset, JFFS format, and tried again.

Now, every time I try to format the JFFS partition, it kills the router - first 3 LEDs are on, Internet LED is red - no Wifi.

Hard Reset (WPS button held while applying power) and setup the router again from scratch.

But every time I select Format JFFS Partition, Apply, then reboot - it goes back to this dead state - Red Internet LED, WiFi not working.

Never had any trouble with the alphas.

Installed 386.1 Beta on my AX86U.

Everything seems fine so far - I'm very happy - only one thing is odd - the CPU Statistics are crazy - spiking around the whole time in "idle" - BUT with HTOP there are no services or things with high CPU usage - so it seems to me it's just a visual bug ?!

View attachment 28280View attachment 28281
Do you have uiDivStats installed?
I had the same issue with uiDivStats installed and a swap file on a slow usb drive.
I replaced the usb flash drive with a faster one and enabled cache in uiDivStats and my CPU usage went back to normal.

Try doing a factory default reset first, configure just basic Wifi, then immediately proceed to flashing the new firmware. Your router might be crashing because you have settings that try to access the broken hardware acceleration system. If it still fails, flash it while in Recovery Mode.

That's exactly what I have been doing to finally get the firmware to take, it worked again for today's AX58u build. Crossing my fingers this addresses the issue as its a pain to reset my router everytime I wish to go between alpha's and beta's of 386

But every time I select Format JFFS Partition, Apply, then reboot - it goes back to this dead state - Red Internet LED, WiFi not working.

Never had any trouble with the alphas.
When this happens, check if jffs is mounted. I had the jffs unmounted after jffs formatting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!