What's new

Beta Asuswrt-Merlin 386.1 Beta is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear all,
I just updated to beta2 for my AC86U but I have some problems:

1. Login via ssh is not possible. Putty gives: Network error: connection refused.

No way to access

2. Systemlogfiles gives that error:
Dec 21 14:45:00 kernel: jffs2: Argh. No free space left for GC. nr_erasing_blocks is 0. nr_free_blocks is 0. (erasableempty: yes, erasingempty: yes, erasependingempty: yes)
Dec 21 14:45:00 kernel: jffs2: jffs2_reserve_space_gc of 196 bytes for garbage_collect_dnode failed: -28

Any ideas ?

Thanks a lot.

Hugo

Dear all,
I just updated to beta2 for my AC86U but I have some problems:

1. Login via ssh is not possible. Putty gives: Network error: connection refused.

No way to access

2. Systemlogfiles gives that error:
Dec 21 14:45:00 kernel: jffs2: Argh. No free space left for GC. nr_erasing_blocks is 0. nr_free_blocks is 0. (erasableempty: yes, erasingempty: yes, erasependingempty: yes)
Dec 21 14:45:00 kernel: jffs2: jffs2_reserve_space_gc of 196 bytes for garbage_collect_dnode failed: -28

Any ideas ?

Thanks a lot.

Hugo
What version are you updating from?

Upgrade notes:
- If coming from a previous alpha build, you MUST do a factory default reset after flashing this beta firmware.
- If coming from stock Asus firmware, a factory default reset is recommended, but not mandatory.

192.168.50.1 is the default. router.asus.com should also work.

Did you reset via this method?
The WPS button trick did it. THANKS A LOT !!!!

Actually I read that sooner somewhere on the forum, but couldn't find documentation to support this in the official manual and just forgot about it and didn't tried it.

(By the way, the router woke up at 192.168.1.1, not at 192.168.50.1)

Question:
1) The main reason for me to run Merlin FW instead of the official FW was that I wanted more than 64 static IP addresses (128 with Merlin, 2 years ago).
Is there any improvement on that specific limitation with the original FW in the last 2 years ? Is is still limited to 64?
2) It is now running with the official ASUS 386.40558 FW, can I import my previous config from Merlin 384.19 in it ? (with over 80 static IP address defined) ?
Otherwise I'll try again to flash it with Merlin 386.1 beta 2...

Thanks again for your collaboration.

The crash occurs in mcpd, which is closed source and outside of my control. No idea might be triggering it, best I can recommend is reproducing the issue with the stock firmware, and reporting it to Asus if you do so.
I am ready for Beta3! hopefully it fixes the mcpd crashing on me

me to
i have now RT-AC88U whit 384.19 an 2 x RT-AC68U whit 383.19 in aimesh 1.0
i hope that a good working whit aimesh 2.0 and the wifi guest network :):):)
i mis this whit aimesh 1.0

I am using Beta2 and cannot make Torguard VPN to work. I am using same config from 386.19 ( anyone else having issues with it ? )

NVM: Fixed it

On other hand: Any chance of implementing Wireguard
wireguard: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/e...r-rt-ac86u-gt-ac2900-rt-ax88u-rt-ax86u.46164/
but you should also read
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/cloudflare-warp-for-rt-ac86u-or-rt-ax88u.66993/ because you're trusting an endpoint you don't (can't) control

there's a bunch of noise discussion about wireguard being un-audited out there, so you have to take that into account as well.

@RMerlin How to use Adguard DNS-over-QUIC ? is it something i have to configure on the router or somewhere else ?

"Default" servers:
quic://dns.adguard.com

"Family protection" servers:
quic://dns-family.adguard.com

You can install "AdGuard Home" in any of the "Asus or Merlin" firmware and there you have what you are looking for;)

I don't know where you got that information ? (Any reference ?) All the documentation I've read before always says 192.168.1.1.
Also, I've flash my RT-AC68U firmware router over twenty time in last few years, and as far as I can remember, it always came back to 192.168.1.1

Anyway, I gave it a shot. No luck, this doesn't work either.
Asus changed it relatively recently [LAN] How to set up LAN IP | Official Support | ASUS Global

If you are using DHCP you can check the network details assigned to your client device. The Default Gateway is the IP address of your Asus router.

as fq-codel is not available in Adaptive QOS, so the only way to use fq codel is by Traditional QOS.
is that assumption correct?

Yes.

if yes, how's the performance comparison between Adaptive QOS vs Traditional QOS in this beta?

Hardware acceleration must be disabled for Traditional QoS, so max throughput will be limited depending on your router's specific CPU.

@RMerlin I'm just wondering, is 386.1 Beta 2 based on the lastest RC2-9?

The info is in the changelog:

Code:
  - UPDATED: Merged GPL 386_41035 (beta GPL from Asus).

It will be interesting if Merlin releases Beta 3 very soon

I'm missing GPLs for two models, so no, that won't be released soon.

Dear RMerlin,
after a dirty update from 384.19 to beta 2 I was not able to access via ssh to the router anymore. After the factory default reset, it was possible, but I had problems with my x3mrouting script. So I wanted to downgrade to 384.19 . Downgrade successful, but the restoring of my saved configuration didn´t work.

So back to beta 2 and made a new configuration. I had the following problems:

1. SSH access is working, access via winscp isn´t working anymore after default reset. Neither on beta 2 nor after downgrading
2. I had three different VPN providers. Only one is working. If you establish a vpn connection with cyberghost and/or windscribe, the complete internet traffic is blocked and no traffic is possible (VPN Client 3 and 5 tested). If you turn off VPN, the connection is still not possibe, you have to reboot the router. Ping command stops during activation of the vpnclient. Syslog in the attachment (VPN 1 and 4 are working without problems, but if you manually turn on Cyberghost and connection is established, all internet traffic is blocked)
3. I got a failure with the DNSMASQ - because of a lock file.
ls -al | grep lock
-rws--x--- 1 su root 0 May 5 2018 ebtables.lock
What is that ?

Do you have any ideas, to solve my problems ? I would appreciate your support.

Thanks a lot.

Hugo

Last edited:
I didn't see a tutorial for this purpose on the asus-merlin wiki (https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin.ng/wiki)

I am ready for Beta3! hopefully it fixes the mcpd crashing on me

The mcpd creates a lot of problems. You may look at this thread regarding the problems I had. My opinion is that if you do not use IPTV you may kill the mcpd without any consequences. I had no problems since then :)

hi all,
wireless log shows lots of error message running on AC5300 with Merlin 386.1 beta 2

Dec 22 06:33:14 syslog: wlceventd_proc_event(474): eth3: Deauth_ind AC:F1:08:F8:13:FC, status: 0, reason: Class 3 frame received from nonassociated station (7)
Dec 22 06:33:16 syslog: wlceventd_proc_event(474): eth3: Deauth_ind AC:F1:08:F8:13:FC, status: 0, reason: Class 3 frame received from nonassociated station (7)
Dec 22 06:33:43 syslog: wlceventd_proc_event(474): eth3: Deauth_ind AC:F1:08:F8:13:FC, status: 0, reason: Class 3 frame received from nonassociated station (7)
Dec 22 06:33:44 syslog: wlceventd_proc_event(474): eth3: Deauth_ind AC:F1:08:F8:13:FC, status: 0, reason: Class 3 frame received from nonassociated station (7)
Dec 22 06:33:45 syslog: wlceventd_proc_event(474): eth3: Deauth_ind AC:F1:08:F8:13:FC, status: 0, reason: Class 3 frame received from nonassociated station (7)
Dec 22 06:33:47 syslog: wlceventd_proc_event(474): eth3: Deauth_ind AC:F1:08:F8:13:FC, status: 0, reason: Class 3 frame received from nonassociated station (7)
Dec 22 06:33:50 syslog: wlceventd_proc_event(474): eth3: Deauth_ind AC:F1:08:F8:13:FC, status: 0, reason: Class 3 frame received from nonassociated station (7)
Dec 22 06:33:51 syslog: wlceventd_proc_event(474): eth3: Deauth_ind AC:F1:08:F8:13:FC, status: 0, reason: Class 3 frame received from nonassociated station (7)

also i can't seem to fix the time issue despite putting the right daylight saving timezone change start & end.
* Reminder: The System time zone is different from your locale setting

hi all,
wireless log shows lots of error message running on AC5300 with Merlin 386.1 beta 2

Dec 22 06:33:14 syslog: wlceventd_proc_event(474): eth3: Deauth_ind AC:F1:08:F8:13:FC, status: 0, reason: Class 3 frame received from nonassociated station (7)
Dec 22 06:33:16 syslog: wlceventd_proc_event(474): eth3: Deauth_ind AC:F1:08:F8:13:FC, status: 0, reason: Class 3 frame received from nonassociated station (7)
Dec 22 06:33:43 syslog: wlceventd_proc_event(474): eth3: Deauth_ind AC:F1:08:F8:13:FC, status: 0, reason: Class 3 frame received from nonassociated station (7)
Dec 22 06:33:44 syslog: wlceventd_proc_event(474): eth3: Deauth_ind AC:F1:08:F8:13:FC, status: 0, reason: Class 3 frame received from nonassociated station (7)
Dec 22 06:33:45 syslog: wlceventd_proc_event(474): eth3: Deauth_ind AC:F1:08:F8:13:FC, status: 0, reason: Class 3 frame received from nonassociated station (7)
Dec 22 06:33:47 syslog: wlceventd_proc_event(474): eth3: Deauth_ind AC:F1:08:F8:13:FC, status: 0, reason: Class 3 frame received from nonassociated station (7)
Dec 22 06:33:50 syslog: wlceventd_proc_event(474): eth3: Deauth_ind AC:F1:08:F8:13:FC, status: 0, reason: Class 3 frame received from nonassociated station (7)
Dec 22 06:33:51 syslog: wlceventd_proc_event(474): eth3: Deauth_ind AC:F1:08:F8:13:FC, status: 0, reason: Class 3 frame received from nonassociated station (7)

also i can't seem to fix the time issue despite putting the right daylight saving timezone change start & end.
* Reminder: The System time zone is different from your locale setting

they are just debugging logs for Asus

it been reported lots of time's in forum

Just converted my old AC86U to a Mesh Node behind my new AX86U. Both running 386.1 B2. So far impressive results. Very stable and performance is excellent. My first dive into the AiMesh world.

Just converted my old AC86U to a Mesh Node behind my new AX86U. Both running 386.1 B2. So far impressive results. Very stable and performance is excellent. My first dive into the AiMesh world.
I currently have a 86u as main, a 86u node, and 2 66u-b1 nodes.. Im ditching the 66s and have a ax86u on the way. Hope it stabilizes mine. the new aimesh 2 seems great. I believe my 2 older routers were causing issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!