What's new

Beta Asuswrt-Merlin 386.1 Beta is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
RT-AC68U not responsive after FW update from Merlin RT-AC68U_384.19_0 to RT-AC68U_386.1_beta2.
Let it sit for an hour. Backend stuff going on, as explained in the changelog.

I don't think it is possible to reset the router too much. :)

@Centrifuge, you got me! :p

I am using Beta2 and cannot make Torguard VPN to work. I am using same config from 386.19 ( anyone else having issues with it ? )

NVM: Fixed it

On other hand: Any chance of implementing Wireguard

Last edited:
@clweb, the link below may help you get stability when moving to the new firmware.

The temperatures you're indicating are normal. These SoC's can hit 140C 'safely', if not with maximum performance.

New M&M 2020
I tried looking up the data sheet for the Broadcom BCM4906 and BCM4908 CPUs used in the RT-AC86U and RT-AX86U routers. I could not find them. However, I thought common IC operating temperature ranges were (though it varies between manufacturers):
- Commercial: 0 ° to 70 °C
- Industrial: −40 ° to 85 °C
- Military: −55 ° to 125 °C
Some manufacuturers have an automotive range of: −40 °C to 125 °C. From what I have read commercial grade CPUs may operate up to 80 °C but a number ARM V8 CPU data sheets I did sample have had an upper limit between 90 °C to 125 °C.

Either way a temperature in high 70's °C seems fine. It is important the router is not in a closed space, eg cabinet, so room temperature air and good air flow for passive cooling works as intended.

Last edited:
@ShelaMonster and @davelian, was the router tested after a full reset, including 'Initialize all settings...' box checked, and the JFFS partition was formatted? With no backup config file used to set up the router either. All that done after flashing the 386.1 Beta 2 firmware. And no USB drive inserted into the router that was previously used as the amtm + Entware + swap file drive? (Unless that USB drive was formatted first on a computer in the NTFS format)?
I have the same problem with time scheduling on an RT-AX86U and beta2. I followed full reset, the JFFS was formatted, etc, etc and finally a manually configuration. But the time scheduling doesn't block the internet access when it should...

@FelixGV, then you've tested this Beta build properly for the developers. :)

Hopefully, your feedback will be helpful to get this fixed sooner.

I'm having a rather interesting phenomena on the 386.1_beta2 for my RT-AX88U.
It is listing wired clients long after they've been disconnected from the router physically with the cable and device completely removed.
Also, any time I visit the Network Map -> Client List, it will refresh all wired connections, but not wireless, but still list the disconnected wired devices.

Yep - sames as I described in my previous post - and there seems to be no way to correct this. Same information showing in the app and delete is not working. But this might still be the issue of the app ...

The Time restrictions were fixed in the official release..
However they do not work with the guest network. This code is in the Wifi Sections of the code and is closed source. Rmerlin has no control or access to that.. I suspect that the Merlin Code is one step behind the official code, but Im guessing here.
I don't used Guest network. It work fine in previous version.

You may have missed this link which was included to get the router stable before you start configuring it. :)

Hi,
I made all the steps from the link. And yes it seems to work, consuming less memory as before. All manually reconfigured.
I noticed some short temperature spikes on the 2.4GHz chip, but all returned to normal. Working over 17 hours now.
Strange it is a 3 months old router, Merlin 384.19 was installed after ASUS firmware. But may be not reseted the right way
after ASUS firmware.

Thank you very much.

Two new AX86U. One to be an xmas present but setting it up in advance.

Hard Factory reset after going to Beta2.
Fresh JFFS no backup or existing.
Entered all details by hand NOT backup file.

1. Traffic Analysis for MONTHLY doesn't seem to be working, daily is. An RT-AC86U that I have (that one of the AX will replace) is fine though.
  2. Icons in Wireless and Wake On LAN seem to be showing as extra large (instead of resized to a fixed size) and time scheduling sometimes shows as textual items than graphical. Thought this was a browser cache issue, and used another browser not used for router before but still the same (Edge Chromium and Chrome browsers, latest GA versions)

Let it sit for an hour. Backend stuff going on, as explained in the changelog.
Ok I gave it the night to do it's internal stuff. No change after 8 hrs, it's still corrupted. Absolutely no answer from 192.168.1.1 web admin page.
Strange, if I leave a ping loop running, once every 10-30-50 attempt (completely random), sometime it replies (with a long 100 to 150msec reply ?!?).
So it's not completey dead, but deeply corrupted.

Is there a way to do a deeper reset ? (like a memory erase by shorting some pins on a chip ? - I'm desperate to a point that I need to purchase a new router, so I'll try anything...).

try to install asus stock firmware 3.0.0.4.384.9318, check it, then full reset and install merlin 386.1 b2 again, full reset, setup manual and check

Ok I gave it the night to do it's internal stuff. No change after 8 hrs, it's still corrupted. Absolutely no answer from 192.168.1.1 web admin page.
Strange, if I leave a ping loop running, once every 10-30-50 attempt (completely random), sometime it replies (with a long 100 to 150msec reply ?!?).

Is there a way to do a deeper reset ? (like a memory erase by shorting some pins on a chip ? - I'm desperate to a point that I need to purchase a new router, so I'll try anything...).
Does router.asus.com work?

When you reset the router the IP is reset to 192.168.50.1

also need clear browser cache (FireFox - Shift + F5, other Ctrl + F5)

When you reset the router the IP is reset to 192.168.50.1
I don't know where you got that information ? (Any reference ?) All the documentation I've read before always says 192.168.1.1.
Also, I've flash my RT-AC68U firmware router over twenty time in last few years, and as far as I can remember, it always came back to 192.168.1.1

Anyway, I gave it a shot. No luck, this doesn't work either.

No, same thing.
192.168.50.1 is the default. router.asus.com should also work.

Did you reset via this method?
ASUS router Hard Factory Reset - Method 1

1. Turn the router off.
2. Press and hold the "WPS" button and turn the router on.
3. Power light is on (keep holding the WPS button).
4. Release the WPS button after the power LED light starts flashing.
5. Power light stops flashing and the router will automatically reboot.

I don't know where you got that information ? (Any reference ?) All the documentation I've read before always says 192.168.1.1.
Also, I've flash my RT-AC68U firmware router over twenty time in last few years, and as far as I can remember, it always came back to 192.168.1.1

Anyway, I gave it a shot. No luck, this doesn't work either.
I have noticed that if you are trying to set up an Asus router behind another router with a LAN IP address of 192.168.50.1 the second router will assign a LAN IP address of 192.168.51.1
router.asus.com should work regardless after a successful hard factory reset. If not you should put the router in recovery mode and flash with the recovery tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!