What's new

Beta Asuswrt-Merlin 386.1 Beta is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
2. IPV6 seemed to be non-functions in beta 3. I noticed this because of log errors. When I reverted back to ASUS 386 stock, IPV6 came back.

I'm not seeing any problems with IPv6 in beta3. It's more than 70% of the traffic going through the node. Can you share some specifics of what you are seeing?

$ ping6 geode.netconsonance.com
PING6(56=40+8+8 bytes) 2601:646:8000:346:9c74:a4fc:470:ab80 --> 2001:1868:a108:1::8
16 bytes from 2001:1868:a108:1::8, icmp_seq=0 hlim=48 time=28.389 ms
16 bytes from 2001:1868:a108:1::8, icmp_seq=1 hlim=48 time=30.545 ms

I wonder is this is another case of folks who move over from stock ASUS 386 to the beta run into some sort of data glitch problem. That was the problem with my internet connection issues earlier.

you forgot the key phrase: who move over without doing a reset

I had done a full reset when I moved to the stock asus 386 firmware. Since it is still working when I move back to it after noting the IPV6 issue, I'm not inclined to do another full reset to move to the beta, unless something else is going on.

Even after you read RMerlin's description of the bug you ran into, due to differences between the firmwares and how they handle missing options? Perhaps you might want to read it again.

Seeing this anytime wireless is restarted... very much innocuous Im sure

Jan 3 16:32:06 dnsmasq-script[31389]: json_object_from_file: error opening file /jffs/nmp_vc_json.js: No such file or directory

And it seems the 192.168.101 and 192.168.102 networks baked in now are Mesh addressing?? I added lines to postconf to remove the bridges and DHCP pools to clean things up and didnt seem to break anything, just not 100% thats what they are...

What do you mean?
Adding resistance to a circuit with a fixed voltage source will definitely reduce the current. Ohm's Law I=V/R.
Reducing the current will also reduce the power of the circuit. P=V x I
You are spot on. You cannot change the laws of physics.

Thanks for the Beta! Times scheduling doesn't block anything for me at the moment, even after a factory reset. Anyone else got this to work on beta 3?
Its working correctly on a RT-AX58U Main and RT-AX58U Aimesh node on Main SSIDS.. It does NOT work on Guest 1, 2, or 3 neither on the Official Beta or this Beta 3. That part of the code is Closed Source to Asus only.

Its working correctly on a RT-AX58U Main and RT-AX58U Aimesh node on Main SSIDS.. It does NOT work on Guest 1, 2, or 3 neither on the Official Beta or this Beta 3. That part of the code is Closed Source to Asus only.
I can tell you this problem is not a Guest network. Guest network is not enabled.

still can't be detected no matter what I tried.

Have you ever been able to get this AC68U to set up as a mesh node with earlier firmware or is this the first time you've tried mesh with it?

@mobileman88, you may want to try this to connect your RT-AC68U in AiMesh mode (assuming all your routers are RMerlin 386.1 Beta 3).

• Reset the RT-AC68U you want to use as a node via the WPS reset method for your model.
  • Make sure it is in the same room as your main AiMesh router. If it isn't, unplug it, move it, and power it up when it is.
  • Do not touch it after you have turned it on. Let it sit there 'waiting' for you.
  • Go to your main AiMesh capable router and from either the AiMesh 'Tab' on the left-hand side or from the AiMesh Node button near the middle of the main page, Search to add your AiMesh Node.
  • If trying to add it wirelessly when in the same room doesn't work, reset it via the appropriate WPS method once more.
  • This time, plug a LAN port from your main router (do not go through a switch) to the WAN port of the AiMesh Node you want to add.
  • Search and add it. This should work.
  • Wait for at least 15 minutes after the node is added and has fully rebooted before you turn it off and move it to where you want it to be.
And don't let this come back to 'bite' you if you're re-doing your wired nodes! Thanks, @nzwayne!

Last edited:
Noticed a slight bandwidth drop between 384.19 and 386.1 Beta 3, same add ons running. Running Speedtest on the PC getting ~920/~935 up and down, used to get ~980+ before. On the AndroidTV boxes its more pronounced, Netflix testing before ~98mbs, now ~78mbps. Speedtest from the router could never attain my 1Gbs, the Router CPUs on the AX88 couldn't keep up haven't used to Speedtest in 386 or spdMerlin to track bandwidth as a result. Before the add ons, Skynet being the most impactful, the Speedtest number on the Router were 700/850 in both direction depending on variables, after Skynet 350-450 down, 500-700 up, now ~400-500 down and 600~700 up. Neat to compare Router CPU usage between running Speedtest on the router and the PC, just in case anyone asks there is no QOS set.

Going to play around taking out all the addons and messing with Speedtest, see if I can narrow down the variables a bit and determine where the bandwidth drop is coming from...

Attachments

• Speedtest.jpg
    Speedtest.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 276
I uploaded a very rough test build of the RT-AX86U on which I only copied the newer Trend Micro engine, there has been no other change.

I only did a quick speedtest to ensure the new engine was working, I didn't do any further test. I am still waiting to get newer GPL drops to merge the whole thing.

Thanks for that - just tried it - everything (and also trendmicro) is working so far ( upgraded from beta 2) - only thing was that the 2,4ghz wifi ssid was "renamed" - i didn't save it - but it was like "wlan_ssid0=XXXrealssidXXX" - as whole string - did rename it - and everything was ok - just for info.

lg

Suggestion, could DSCP support be added? I know Merlin is more of supplemental material to the base code, rather then new features, but it would be fantastic to get DSCP support on the router and tagging added to the existing QoS support.

Suggestion, could DSCP support be added? I know Merlin is more of supplemental material to the base code, rather then new features, but it would be fantastic to get DSCP support on the router and tagging added to the existing QoS support.
I have been asking about that in the Cake-QoS thread for a while, but without any bites as of yet.
From what little I have read (and understood) of the OpenWrt implementation is that it is likely to be a bit taxing on the CPU, and further limit routing throughput. Me on my puny 30Mbs connection would benefit though! :).

Thanks for that - just tried it - everything (and also trendmicro) is working so far ( upgraded from beta 2) - only thing was that the 2,4ghz wifi ssid was "renamed" - i didn't save it - but it was like "wlan_ssid0=XXXrealssidXXX" - as whole string - did rename it - and everything was ok - just for info.

lg
Hi, is bandwith monitoring value works too?

Thanks for the Beta! Times scheduling doesn't block anything for me at the moment, even after a factory reset. Anyone else got this to work on beta 3?
To clarify, I am talking about parental control time scheduling not wifi time sheduling.

Assus Merlin 386.1 beta3 on RT-AX86U.
command:
openssl req -new -x509 -keyout lighttpd.pem -out lighttpd.pem -days 1059 -nodes
generated message:
Error Loading extension section v3_ca

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!