What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 386.1 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to ask and i don't mean this in a sarcastic way. Why in the heck would a router take 1,2,3 hours before the GUI would be accessible after a simple firmware flash ? Is this a fluke or something else. If this indeed the way it is then there is something flat out wrong with the software or something. Completely unacceptable in my opinion. Am i missing something here certainly not a issue with the AX58.

I have zero idea of what maintaince is being done. When I upgraded my AC86U from 384.18 to 386.1, I started out with a full reset after the flash. My router did not even take a minute. Not sure if this is a dirty flash thing or not.

Every time I measure with Ookla Internet speed test.
Nat and Firewall is restarted, is this really necessary?

@RMerlin

It looks to me like the built in speedtest DISABLES QOS/bandwidth limiter and possibly even hardware acceleration while it runs the test then restarts all that afterwards. With AdaptiveQOS enabled and configured I can see my bandwidth limits enforced on speedtest.net and fast.com and ping times don't suffer bloat no matter what happens. But when I run the built in speedtest my bandwidth limits are ignored and ping times suffer from bufferbloat.

If that's the case, then the built in speedtest is meant to be used for determining your bandwidth limits for QOS etc. But this causes problems for connection speeds beyond what the cpu can handle without acceleration enabled.

Just my assumptions, could be off a bit.

Is anyone else seeing WiFi speedtest results reduced by 1/2? I used to see 200 plus down and up. Now below 100? Switched to my att gateway WiFi and I get 200 plus. Ac86u main, ac1900p in aimesh mode.
Edit

this appears to happen only when I’m connected through the ac1900p (ac68u).

Last edited:
(Why aren't you just using @Xentrk's though)?

A factory reset is hardly a multiday project. Take it methodically and thoroughly.
I'm using the script from @Xentrk which is great, but that's for DHCP "only", not for the Network Map, it seems?

And because I take it methodically and thoroughly it's taking a lot of time (might squeeze it in one long evening, but too tired now to finish it today)

AC86U clean install here. Not complaining. Just adding some data points regarding the temperature thingy... 384.19 my temp is usually about 70 when it's cool outside and 80 max on hot days. 386 (been waiting for a full 24 hours to make sure it's not heat soak etc) . Now it seems like it increases about 10 degrees celsius. So on the cool air it's about 80C and when it's hot outside aka no AC , it's 90.. it's fine I guess since it won't throttle anyway but yeah. Just an observation..
Same experience here. Reverted back to 384.19 and nice 70 °C temp without fans and duct tape etc.

The latest Merlin release is great for everything except for the RT-AC86U. Will keep checking back here when the bug is fixed.

Too much wasted time on this for now.

@RMerlin -- Need some help. I was running 384.19 on my RT-AX88U in AP Mode rock solid for months. I upgraded to 386.1 and did a hard/WPS reset, reconfiguring from scratch. I noticed that my hard line kept being reported as "disconnected" from within the GUI. I would lose connectivity as well. If I disconnect/reconnect the ethernet cable, it'll register and work again. I had this issue multiple times.

I flashed back to 384.19, again using a hard/WPS reset to get stability for the family... hoping to try 386.1 later.

I'm experiencing the below "acsd // failed with -22" once a second. At one point, I lost WiFi for about 5 mins from that AP and things came back online again, but these errors are still persisting.

I'll raise my head and say "it's me" but would welcome any assistance. Settings? Try flashing again, then hard reset, configure and then soft reset?

Feb 1 13:34:42 acsd: acs_update_oper_mode(290): eth6 read oper_mode failed with -22
Feb 1 13:34:43 acsd: acs_update_oper_mode(290): eth6 read oper_mode failed with -22
Feb 1 13:34:44 WLCEVENTD: Auth 7E:24:F9:XX:XX:XX
Feb 1 13:34:44 WLCEVENTD: ReAssoc 7E:24:F9:XX:XX:XX
Feb 1 13:34:44 hostapd: eth7: STA 7e:24:f9:XX:XX:XX IEEE 802.11: associated
Feb 1 13:34:44 kernel: CFG80211-ERROR) wl_cfg80211_change_station : WLC_SCB_AUTHORIZE sta_flags_mask not set
Feb 1 13:34:44 hostapd: eth7: STA 7e:24:f9:XX:XX:XX RADIUS: starting accounting session F9EB2FE89566B5E2
Feb 1 13:34:44 hostapd: eth7: STA 7e:24:f9:XX:XX:XX WPA: pairwise key handshake completed (RSN)
Feb 1 13:34:44 acsd: acs_update_oper_mode(290): eth6 read oper_mode failed with -22
Feb 1 13:34:45 acsd: acs_update_oper_mode(290): eth6 read oper_mode failed with -22
Feb 1 13:34:46 acsd: acs_update_oper_mode(290): eth6 read oper_mode failed with -22
Feb 1 13:34:47 acsd: acs_update_oper_mode(290): eth6 read oper_mode failed with -22
Feb 1 13:34:48 acsd: acs_update_oper_mode(290): eth6 read oper_mode failed with -22
Did you have guest wifi #1 configured?

No temp issues or problems for me, running 22hrs aprox. Current Temperatures: 43 °C - 49 °C - 71 °C , I told the wife on the way home from work on the car phone (safe distance) that I had done it, she said well it's a good job it was working today otherwise you may have wanted to stay at work rather than coming home :) :)

I'm using the script from @Xentrk which is great, but that's for DHCP "only", not for the Network Map, it seems?

And because I take it methodically and thoroughly it's taking a lot of time (might squeeze it in one long evening, but too tired now to finish it today)
See my post here

Same experience here. Reverted back to 384.19 and nice 70 °C temp without fans and duct tape etc.

The latest Merlin release is great for everything except for the RT-AC86U. Will keep checking back here when the bug is fixed.

Too much wasted time on this for now.
I know what you're saying, but the problem is the bug *IS* fixed, or at least it's supposed to be fixed. I didn't try any of the beta releases, but I'm surprised that my AC86U - even with the fixed code and CPU Wait enabled by default - is still running 10 degrees hotter than it was. Looks like we just have to live with it or stick to 384.19. It's only been a day, but I haven't experienced any problems yet.

A factory reset is hardly a multiday project. Take it methodically and thoroughly.
I have 2 RT-AC68U's. My primary one I did a dirty update from 384.19 >> 386.1beta5 >> 386.1. On the 384.19 and 386.1beta5 I was able to SSH into the router no problem (load all the 3rd-party scripts etc).

After the 386.1 update, I have not been able to SSH into the primary RT-AC68U even though I have taken all the typical configuration steps in the Merlin ASUSWRT GUI. I thought that was curious, and reading through the entirety of this thread haven't seen this problem raised. My second AC68U on a dirty update to 386.1, I have been able to SSH into it, load 3rd-party scripts through AMTM etc. Very stable.

So I decided to follow your Nuclear Reset word-for-word (for the first time ever) for my primary RT-AC68U. Then trying to access the router through SSH from putty fails.

In all these months on this site with my RT-AC68U's and my RT-N16 I have never had this issue occur--not being able to initiate a SSH session.

Any idea?

I know what you're saying, but the problem is the bug *IS* fixed, or at least it's supposed to be fixed. I didn't try any of the beta releases, but I'm surprised that my AC86U - even with the fixed code and CPU Wait enabled by default - is still running 10 degrees hotter than it was. Looks like we just have to live with it or stick to 384.19. It's only been a day, but I haven't experienced any problems yet.
Im tempted to start a separate thread regarding AC86U temps as everyone keeps beating this dead horse. Im curious how many people noticing 'higher temps' actually checked their temps pre 384.19?

If you're around 80C you're FINE. If you're approaching 90 you either have stale air flow or degraded/bad thermal pads, anyone who thinks 80 vs 70 is going to degrade your router CPU faster than it becomes technologically obsolete is dreaming

Otherwise run this script and let us know your uptime highs/low after 24 hrs. someone was mentioning differences in build dates/CFE version which MAY require further investigation by ASUS not RMerlin.

Its not out of the realm of possibility as its a shared heatsink that the WIFI chips are actually dumping more heat causing the increase on the CPU, not just the CPU WAIT

Here to say Thank You and report a flawless dirty upgrade with instant gui availability. ac86u now on latest. no issues that I've noticed.

Im tempted to start a separate thread regarding AC86U temps as everyone keeps beating this dead horse. Im curious how many people noticing 'higher temps' actually checked their temps pre 384.19?
A separate thread might be a good idea. And I agree: unless it actually starts causing problems with the day-to-day running of the router, the higher temperature readings are not an issue.

Oddly, mine did hit 89 degrees last night (when it wasn't particularly hot) but has dropped down to 83 this morning.

Folks... forgive me dumb question - is there any way to login to the node router?
I was able to upgrade my node FW to 386.1, and I did have to login at that point, but I have no access to the node. When I do 192.168.xx.116 (the actual node IP address), I do get login page. I enter my user name/password, and it "magically" re-routes me to 192.1.168.xx.yy (main router IP address)

Folks... forgive me dumb question - is there any way to login to the node router?
I was able to upgrade my node FW to 386.1, and I did have to login at that point, but I have no access to the node. When I do 192.168.xx.116 (the actual node IP address), I do get login page. I enter my user name/password, and it "magically" re-routes me to 192.1.168.xx.yy (main router IP address)
I don't think so. Just factory reset it with the WPS button and re-setup the node. Takes 2 minutes.

Hi @all,

did an update from 384.17 (dirty) on AX88U. Planned to jffs format and full factory reset.

Unfortunately I am still waiting for the webUI to respond. Getting the logIn screen and type the creds. After signing in nothing happens. Update started 2h ago.

Should I "restart" the router via power switch or just chill?

Thanks!

Edit: Internet via LAN or WLan was back after 5min. But the router seems to very busy
i have ejected the power cable, waited around 30 seconds and turned it on. After that everything settled down

If you're around 80C you're FINE. If you're approaching 90 you either have stale air flow or degraded/bad thermal pads, anyone who thinks 80 vs 70 is going to degrade your router CPU faster than it becomes technologically obsolete is dreaming

Otherwise run this script and let us know your uptime highs/low after 24 hrs. someone was mentioning differences in build dates/CFE version which MAY require further investigation by ASUS not RMerlin.

Its not out of the realm of possibility as its a shared heatsink that the WIFI chips are actually dumping more heat causing the increase on the CPU, not just the CPU WAIT

That sounds like a very rational thought out idea. Practical, direct and efficient.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!