What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 386.1 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since doing a dirty flash from 386 beta1 to 386.1 i have a problem with addons contacting GitHub for update checks. using AMTM i get out put like this
Code:
amtm 3.1.8 FW             by thelonelycoder
RT-AC68U (armv7l) FW-386.1 @ 10.10.10.1
    The Asuswrt-Merlin Terminal Menu       

1  open     Diversion                v4.1.12
[: bad number
3  open     FlexQoS       v1.1.0  -> min upd

5  open     scribe                    v2.4.3

7  open     unbound Mgr                v3.22

j4 open     spdMerlin     v4.1.1     upd err
j5 open     uiDivStats    v2.3.0     upd err
j6 open     uiScribe      v1.4.1  -> min upd

ep manage   Entware packages          no upd

m  menu     amtm   uu  force update   v3.1.8

! spdMerlin: raw.githubusercontent.com unreachable
! uiDivStats: raw.githubusercontent.com unreachable
Third party script update(s) available! Use
the scripts own update function to update.

Any ideas what might be going on here?..... i don't believe its an AMTM problem in particular, as if i start unbound manager i will get the warning that it can't contact GitHub either.

Are these kernel errors something to be concerned about ? I get them often .

I put a small snip in the attached logfile .

Attachments

• snap kernel errors.txt
    170.1 KB · Views: 143
New (annoying) bug:

Also disconnected clients are shown as online (wired).

Work for Asus or can be done something in Merlin?

Does "Adaptive QoS" limit LAN throughput? For example the traffic from a NAS to a streaming device? I am troubleshooting an issue where suddenly Plex streaming is problematic from my NAS. For larger files, the streaming gets stuck in a loading screen. This started happening after the firmware upgrade. I tried from Shield TV and Fire stick, same issue. So it's device independent.

Edit: This actually is the root cause. I disabled QoS and the issue disappeared. I am running the Plex server in a Synology NAS. Streaming from 2019 Shield TV Pro. They are connected through 1G ethernet.

Last edited:
Hello,
thanks Merlin for this firmware.

I have a stupid question but I ask anyway.
Got some problems upgrading my RT-AX86U to 386.1_0 (from 384.18_0) but after many factory reset all is ok now.

May I restore a 384.18_cfg backup on 386.1_0 to avoid all manual adjustments ?? Not sure its a good idea.

Thanks for replies
Stupid questions don’t exist, only stupid answers.

It is better to re-enter al configs for such major upgrade.

importing config risks in overwriting better defaults in the new firmware or even create incompatibility

hello, I switched to version 386.1 without problem. however, I have the channel for 5ghz which changes even though I have set it to manual. I set it to 100, and after 2 days it changes to 48. On the previous version (384.19) I stayed 120 days without changing the channel. which channels support 160mhz?

Attachments

• A3FBB346-FF07-4AE5-9D17-DA571C60BB6C.jpeg
    A3FBB346-FF07-4AE5-9D17-DA571C60BB6C.jpeg
    29.9 KB · Views: 95
Someone mentioned a screenshot you could copy information from. I think it was @L&LD, can you give me some more information about it please sir?
on Edge , press the 3 dots on the top right side, select "Web capture" then "Full Page" then save.

Wifi Keeps dropping when i make config changes via the web interface or app

Thanks Merlin for all your work.
I updated to 386.1 on the RTAX86U, and set up the main network and guest network 1 both 2.4 and 5ghz( before reading your comments above)
Here's what i noticed so far. It works well until i have to change any configuration setting (either through the web or routerapp interface), then all my devices disconnect and reconnect, every single time.
Configuration changes include: DNS filtering on a Macbook conncted to the primary 5ghz network, Time scheduling via the router app for an ipad conncted to the main 5ghz network, Setting up Guest network 3 via the web interface, Setting up port forwarding on a laptop connected to guest network one 2.4ghz among others.
Each time, all devices loose network connection, all the wifi networks disappear and then reappear and devices reconnect after a few minutes. Given thats its a new router, I'm still making lots of changes so you can only imagine my frustration.

I'm going to turn off guest network one as recommended but just asking, is this related to the error logs you talked about or could this be caused by something else? Would be quite a surprise if this is expected behaviour as something like time scheduling changes should not turn off the entire wifi network.

Any help would be appreciated
Do you have 160 MHz bandwidth enabled on the 5 GHz Wireless General page? If so, what you are seeing is normal. When the radios are restarted because of a configuration change, the router has to check for radar interference on the DFS channels. This takes about one minute on my AX86U. If you don't have any clients with 160 MHz WiFi adapters, you can change the bandwidth setting to 20/40/80 and the delay goes away.

New (annoying) bug:

Also disconnected clients are shown as online (wired).

Work for Asus or can be done something in Merlin?
Give it time and live with it. Nothing that will degrade operation.

hello, I switched to version 386.1 without problem. however, I have the channel for 5ghz which changes even though I have set it to manual. I set it to 100, and after 2 days it changes to 48. On the previous version (384.19) I stayed 120 days without changing the channel. which channels support 160mhz?
I experience the same on my RT-AX56Us running stock or Merlin firmware using 80Mhz. Please report it to Asus as I'm trying t get them to take it seriously.

Hello,
thanks Merlin for this firmware.

I have a stupid question but I ask anyway.
Got some problems upgrading my RT-AX86U to 386.1_0 (from 384.18_0) but after many factory reset all is ok now.

May I restore a 384.18_cfg backup on 386.1_0 to avoid all manual adjustments ?? Not sure its a good idea.

Thanks for replies
That would not be wise!

I experience the same on my RT-AX56Us running stock or Merlin firmware using 80Mhz. Please report it to Asus as I'm trying t get them to take it seriously.
May not be a bug when you use DFS channels. Much better to not use those channels that can be used by RADAR.

Under ikev2 config it says 'not authenticated'. Buttons greyed out. Where do I start so it generates an ikev2 certificate? Thanks. I have asuscomm ddns configured.

Does "Adaptive QoS" limit LAN throughput? For example the traffic from a NAS to a streaming device? I am troubleshooting an issue where suddenly Plex streaming is problematic from my NAS. For larger files, the streaming gets stuck in a loading screen. This started happening after the firmware upgrade. I tried from Shield TV and Fire stick, same issue. So it's device independent.

Edit: This actually is the root cause. I disabled QoS and the issue disappeared. I am running the Plex server in a Synology NAS. Streaming from 2019 Shield TV Pro. They are connected through 1G ethernet.

On my AX88U, LAN speeds drops from ~950Mbps to ~500Mbps with Adaptive QoS enabled, so there definitely is an issue there,

Hi folks need help, syslog displays this message continuously on 86U

kernel: protocol 0800 is buggy, dev eth6
Kernel: protocol 0800 is buggy, dev eth5

what is it? How to get rid of it, BTW my wifi and Ethernet devices work fine

I followed all instructions to install 386.1

@RMerlin you nailed it, everytime I reset my AX88U to factory defaults I lose a bit more function. Got a hold of Asus and they gave me an RMA, my warranty expires end of this March. Caught it just in time. I'm shipping today. Thanks again. Lost all 2.4G wifi last night it never came back. I'm glad I had the old AC68U, put it into primary router service, running fine. I can work and still watch TV...that's all I need for now.

@RMerlin you nailed it, everytime I reset my AX88U to factory defaults I lose a bit more function. Got a hold of Asus and they gave me an RMA, my warranty expires end of this March. Caught it just in time. I'm shipping today. Thanks again. Lost all 2.4G wifi last night it never came back. I'm glad I had the old AC68U, put it into primary router service, running fine. I can work and still watch TV...that's all I need for now.

hmmm. A bit weird and scary and disapointing. Is it specific to that router or just a 1 off?

I have been thinking of upgrading my AC68U, but it still seems more reliable and stable than these newer routers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!