What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 386.2 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Might be a long shot, but during the betas I had a similar issue with some of my devices which wouldn't connect to my AX86Us until I turned off universal beamforming.
Yes sir that was a solid suggestion.
I finally located a cisco document mentioning TXBF being AC/AX Transmit Beam Forming.
However having disabled all flavors of beam forming and the issue still persisted.
Rolling back to 386.1_2 and all clients connected right back up. So it would "seem" at face value that something is mildly different between .1 and .2 even though to the best of my understanding Eric did not make any change in there. *shrugs*.

I am also still working out periodic connectivity issues with specific clients and the guest network. I also installed YAZFI and moved my guest to network 3 as recommended.

Try disabling your 5GHz network temporarily to see if your Honeywell Thermostat will reconnect to the 2.4GHz network. The best solution I have found was to reduce the 5GHz TX Power down to Balanced. My Honeywell thermostat and Logitech Hub are now connected more reliably. I thought the thermostat connectivity was resolved with a previous beta but that didn't last.

I prefer being on the latest builds for security reasons, but trying to regain the stability I experienced with 384.19 and previous versions. I've never removed my flash drive for a firmware update, although it makes perfect sense to do so. Perhaps that will be my next step if I experience further issues.
Thank you for your similar experience and suggestions about disabling/enabling the 5ghz and also reducing its Tx power.
I have already tried disabling the beam forming on 5ghz (which in theory resets the 5hgz radio) to no avail.
After discovering my main roku was also not connected I rolled back.
I cant have the main tv non-functional.
:)

All working great here on my GT2900. Had some trouble with install and my scripts/USB which I assume is my doing because others don't comment on a similar issue. Thanks for the great work...as always!

So I guess I am not the only one who has issues with 5 GHz.

I only have the RT-AC5300, but 5 GHz stopped working for my IPad after the install of 386_1.2. On my Android it is working fine, as

I was hoping the upgrade to 386_2 would fix this, but halas. I have done a factory reset and restored a backup of the configuration to see if that would help: it didn’t. Turned off the VPN clients I had running, didn’t help. Disabled IPv6, didn’t help.

The internal network is working fine, it seems like the 5 GHz isn’t allowed to go outside the local network.
I'm running a quite clean setup, only have YazFi installed for my guest network.
So I am quite lost what the next step should be, besides downgrading to a version that does work (probably 386_1.1). I do see posts of others that have the same router as I do, and everything seems to work fine for them, so I'm wondering what the difference might be?

You might try to reset the network settings on your iPad (settings->general>reset->reset network settings) and after reboot connect your iPad again to your wifi. (Apple stores some undocumented goodies when initially connecting to a wifi that interfere with your wifi connection after a router software update).

You might try to reset the network settings on your iPad (settings->general>reset->reset network settings) and after reboot connect your iPad again to your wifi. (Apple stores some undocumented goodies when initially connecting to a wifi that interfere with your wifi connection after a router software update).
That did the trick!

thank you! I was already suspecting something must be off on the IPad since my other devices kept working. :)

Here to report a successful (after more or less the fifth try) dirty u/g from beta_1 to 386.2 a few minutes ago. I have seen no immediate problems.

A couple of observations, fwtmbw, but first, a huge thank you to Merlin and contributors for the firmware.

This (similar but different) happened, again, to me also but this time neither a different browser no clearing cookies seemed to help.

What happened was that the browser hung indefinitely at the “please wait, Applying Settings...” dialog. So then I changed “Authentication Method” from https to both and tried the u/g again, and after a while got this (apologies if the screenshot is fouled up somehow, I'm not in the habit of doing this and I really don't know how - but I tried.)

View attachment 32758

Please note that it says the firmware u/g was unsuccessful but the progress bar shows it is upgrading anyway. After the u/g completed, the gui reported the 86u was still on beta_1. So I tried again, this time successfully – both the gui and amtm report the router on 386.2. Obviously, the key factor is the full moon at the same time as the cosmic ray bitflip event.

Btw, I notice that after a forced upgrade, the amtm check for update process shows on first run an “awm” option which gives the download link. Is it in the works to allow a f/w u/g via amtm? Sure would be nice, and maybe bypass the browser problems, if yes.

I would appreciate if someone would share, or point me to the link for, the ju-ju for doing a fw u/g from a terminal. Thanks in advance.
I stopped getting these after clearing cookies in my browsers (I have read about someone else doing it). I used to get it with every 386.1 alpha/beta upgrade before

That's good to know, thanks! I thought I knew @L&LD by heart now, but this suggestion I have apperently overseen. However, Eric recommends rebooting before upgrading, which means that the USB drive is auto mounted again. Is that solely for the same purpose, freeing up memory? Should I perform the upgrade before rebooting then? Does unmounting the USB drive and thus stopping all related processes, free up enough memory, to perform the upgrade?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Marco
I used to just unmount usb stick from WebUI inline with clean update instructions, but stopped doing it recently without any problems on AX88U in last two upgrades. Plenty of memory available on mine.

Reactions: MvW
As a possible workaround, you could look at the content of Tor_redir_list, and then re-apply it in a services-start user script.

Code:
#/bin/sh
nvram set Tor_redir_list="blah"
nvram commit

Perfect circumvention, works fine.
Thank you for your excellent support.

This is true for me as well. The difference is that it didn't actually upgrade my firmware. It threw me back on 386.1-2 with broken DDNS.

I tried to upgrade again and while loading it said firmware was corrupted.

Edit: DDNS has gone back to functioning on my old firmware. I think I will stay pat for now until bugs get worked out.
Try to rename your DNS name, register your new one and revert back to your original DNS name. That worked for me.

Here to report a successful (after more or less the fifth try) dirty u/g from beta_1 to 386.2 a few minutes ago. I have seen no immediate problems.

A couple of observations, fwtmbw, but first, a huge thank you to Merlin and contributors for the firmware.

This (similar but different) happened, again, to me also but this time neither a different browser no clearing cookies seemed to help.

What happened was that the browser hung indefinitely at the “please wait, Applying Settings...” dialog. So then I changed “Authentication Method” from https to both and tried the u/g again, and after a while got this (apologies if the screenshot is fouled up somehow, I'm not in the habit of doing this and I really don't know how - but I tried.)

View attachment 32758

Please note that it says the firmware u/g was unsuccessful but the progress bar shows it is upgrading anyway. After the u/g completed, the gui reported the 86u was still on beta_1. So I tried again, this time successfully – both the gui and amtm report the router on 386.2. Obviously, the key factor is the full moon at the same time as the cosmic ray bitflip event.

Btw, I notice that after a forced upgrade, the amtm check for update process shows on first run an “awm” option which gives the download link. Is it in the works to allow a f/w u/g via amtm? Sure would be nice, and maybe bypass the browser problems, if yes.

I would appreciate if someone would share, or point me to the link for, the ju-ju for doing a fw u/g from a terminal. Thanks in advance.
I had the exact same thing happen to me on my AC86U

Check your configuration, NTP worked fine for me when I tested it in repeater mode.
NTP works on your 384.19 in Repeater mode. The syslog doesn't even show any attempt to do NTP on 386.2

I will say, that Asus's official firmware has several serious bugs when using Repeater mode since 386.40558, and their bugs are also in your recent versions. So, I am trying to notify Asus about it. The NTP issue is the only one they don't have. My parent router isn't an Asus router, so I can't use AiMesh mode.

Same issue here. I m using 2 ac86u in a mesh setup with guest network 1 on both main and node.
i dont have any mesh...havent tried also Beta, installed just Stable and getting it...

Apr 3 12:41:17 kernel: protocol 0800 is buggy, dev br0
Apr 3 12:41:17 kernel: protocol 0800 is buggy, dev eth0

@RMerlin please any clue what it might be the reason?

Thanks

i dont have any mesh...havent tried also Beta, installed just Stable and getting it...

@RMerlin please any clue what it might be the reason?

Thanks

I have 1 client (Honeywell Thermostat) which cannot connect to the ax86u after upgrading to 386_2.

This is what I see in the gui log of the router specific to the Honywell thermostat.
A quick google does not shed light on what this means.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Code:
Apr  3 08:15:31 kernel: CONSOLE: 122906.030 wl1: wlc_txbf_delete_link_serve failed for b8:2c:a0:77:a6:b7
Apr  3 08:16:52 kernel: CONSOLE: 122986.910 wl1.0: wlc_send_bar: for b8:2c:a0:77:a6:b7 seq 0x1 tid 5
Apr  3 08:16:56 kernel: CONSOLE: 122990.653 wl1.0: wlc_send_bar: for b8:2c:a0:77:a6:b7 seq 0x1 tid 0
Apr  3 08:16:56 kernel: CONSOLE: 122990.654 wl1.0: wlc_send_bar: for b8:2c:a0:77:a6:b7 seq 0x1 tid 0
Apr  3 08:16:57 kernel: CONSOLE: 122992.149 wl1.0: wlc_send_bar: for b8:2c:a0:77:a6:b7 seq 0x1 tid 7
Apr  3 08:17:01 kernel: CONSOLE: 122996.179 wl1.0: wlc_send_bar: for b8:2c:a0:77:a6:b7 seq 0x2 tid 3
Apr  3 08:18:04 kernel: CONSOLE: 123058.271 wl1.0: wlc_send_bar: for b8:2c:a0:77:a6:b7 seq 0x1 tid 4
Apr  3 08:18:04 kernel: CONSOLE: 123058.275 wl1.0: wlc_send_bar: for b8:2c:a0:77:a6:b7 seq 0x1 tid 4
*** UPDATE 1 ***
I just found my main tv roku (4k model) is now not seeing the 5ghz wifi from the router either.
Show stopper for me so back to 386.1_2 where every client I have connects as expected.
What Channel is your 5Ghz on? Is it auto? I had a similar issue with 5 Amazon devices that would not connect on the dfs ranges when the auto chose 100. 36-44 & 144 up were fine. 100 without 160mhz also did not fix it. 149 works fine

NTP works on your 384.19 in Repeater mode. The syslog doesn't even show any attempt to do NTP on 386.2

I will say, that Asus's official firmware has several serious bugs when using Repeater mode since 386.40558, and their bugs are also in your recent versions. So, I am trying to notify Asus about it. The NTP issue is the only one they don't have. My parent router isn't an Asus router, so I can't use AiMesh mode.
I downgraded to 386.1.2 because it simply don't get ntp with any setting, the only thing that i can do to get ntp is click on apply in the settings tab (administration system) after every reboot and you wil get NTP
very strange
I just downgrade to 386.1.2 and now everything boots fine.. Hoply this will be fixed soon.....

Last edited:
thanks, but still no clue what to do with this instruction:

Shift your guest network/s from position 1, to position 2.
i.e shift them to the right on the guest network page.
Will fix ‘some’ of your error messages.

----
Could someone please post screenshot? no clue where to find it, Thanks!

Updated the AC68u from 384.19, factory default and formatted JFFS. Seems to be running good, I'm on LAN so who knows about wifi.

Router speed test over the LAN, looks ok, but I'm no network expert. PC to the server is about 600km away.

Attachments

• merlin speedtest.jpg
    merlin speedtest.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 81
thanks, but still no clue what to do with this instruction:

Shift your guest network/s from position 1, to position 2.
i.e shift them to the right on the guest network page.
Will fix ‘some’ of your error messages.

----
Could someone please post screenshot? no clue where to find it, Thanks!
Each radio band, 2.4 and 5 GHz, has three possible Guest networks. Left to right they are called Guest 1, 2 and 3. They do not have to be use in order. In the 386 codebase the left most Guest network for each band has the ability to sync to AiMesh nodes to enable each node to have the same Guest WIFI. Without getting into the nuts and bolts of how this works I can confirm that it works well on Asus factory firmware and Merlin Firmware.
However, reports are that you can get some odd "error" messages in the log. The Guest 1 network still works and is secure. Ignore the log if it bothers you.
Also, it has been discovered that the WIFI clients on Guest 2 are not isolated from the LAN clients and may pose a security risk. I feel it is better to use Guest 1.

For an RT-AC86U, this is fairly straightforward. Here's what I used to upgrade a remote device using SSH over VPN:
  1. Copy (e.g. using 'scp') the RT-AC86U_386.2_0_cferom_ubi.w file to the router's /tmp directory

2. While logged into the router as admin over ssh, run:
    Code:
    hnd-write /tmp/RT-AC86U_386.2_0_cferom_ubi.w
    It will output some "Upgrading...." progress information while it runs.

3. After it finishes, reboot using the WebUI and it will complete the upgrade.
This method may be completely unsupported. Use at your own risk... it will probably brick your router, burn your toast, and make your hair fall out. But it worked for me when dealing with a slow connection to a remote device. I tracked down the source code for this utility and convinced myself that it was ok to try, but I also really didn't care that much if I nuked the router at my (empty) beach house.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!