What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 386.2 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm, this never happened before, tried to flash my AC86U from 2_2 to 2_4 and it says "Firmware upgrade unsuccessful. This may result from incorrect image or error transmission. Please check the version of firmware and try again." I've checked the hash of the downloaded file with both Chrome and FFx and it is the same.
According to your signature you have a different router...

Hmm, this never happened before, tried to flash my AC86U from 2_2 to 2_4 and it says "Firmware upgrade unsuccessful. This may result from incorrect image or error transmission. Please check the version of firmware and try again." I've checked the hash of the downloaded file with both Chrome and FFx and it is the same.
You have to us the correct firmware for you AX86U. The one you downloaded is for an AC86U

No, it is the correct router, this one is in another location, I have 3 of them spread over multiple locations AX86U , AC86U and an AC68U. Currently I am in the location where the AC86U is :). Sorry for the confusion. I will put all of them in the signature.

Last edited:
UI allowed you to flash different router model firmware? If so this is a firmware bug.

It would appear so.

From what i understand the restoration method shouldn't allow for the flashing of the wrong firmware either but it did for the other guy.

So there clearly something wrong which allows this when it would normally be impossible to do so.

:-(, no I did not flash another model firmware, it is still on AC86U 386.2_2

failed3.JPG

No, it is the correct router, this one is in another location, I have 3 of them spread over multiple locations AX86U , AC86U and an AC68U. Currently I am in the location where the AC86U is :). Sorry for the confusion. I will put all of them in the signature.

In that case, try rebooting your router first. I've had it once or twice, while I was absolutely sure I had the right firmware for the right router, but it wouldn't upgrade and only succeeded on second or even third try (from the UI). Clear your cache, restart your browser, go straight to https://192.168.1.1:8443/Advanced_FirmwareUpgrade_Content.asp (replace with your IP) and it should work eventually.

I don't understand the numerous post regarding the flashing of the wrong fw? The few times I've "accidentally" flashed the incorrect fw (AX instead of AC), a screen notifing me of my error was displayed, and failed to load fw.

PS Both my Main/AP are working well on latest fw!

Stay Safe Everyone

Full power cycle of the router is probably required.

Same thing happens to my router occasionally. A soft reboot doesn't even do the trick, I have to full power the unit off before it will accept the firmware image.

:-(, does not work, cleared cache, restarted the pc, soft rebooted and hard rebooted the router several times in between. Same error is coming. I will leave it be for the moment, while it is still working with 386.2_2. I downloaded the image from the sourceforge repository, I will try with the one from onedrive maybe tomorrow.

Note to self: always make sure you're updating your router with proper firmware. Check, and double check.

The few times I've "accidentally" flashed the incorrect fw (AX instead of AC), a screen notifing me of my error was displayed, and failed to load fw.

I'm going to try AX86U firmware upload to AC86U in UI later on. I expect to see firmware rejected as @Clark Griswald experience. If AX firmware uploads successfully to an AC router, this is not just a firmware bug, but a BIG one and Asus/@RMerlin must be notified right away.

I'm going to try AX86U firmware upload to AC86U in UI later on. I expect to see firmware rejected as @Clark Griswald experience. If AX firmware uploads successfully to an AC router, this is not just a firmware bug, but a BIG one and Asus/@RMerlin must be notified right away.

Figure i save you the pain and maybe the router.
Crappy one handed quality to put it mildly but good enough for the job.

Didn't bother recording to the end as there was no point

Last edited:
Hello,

I have an RT-AC86U, I upgraded to 386.2_0 and Wi-Fi performance when working on another floor has been seriously degraded (my MacBook says 65mbps instead of 145mbps before).
I went back to 386.1_2 and Wi-Fi performance is back to normal.
Same issue with 386.2_4, any idea ?

Thank you !

Figure i save you the pain and maybe the router.
Crappy one handed quality to put it mildly but good enough for the job.

Didn't bother recording to the end as there was no point

Holy sh*t. I just read @RMerlin in another thread saying this wouldn't be possible, but apparently it is. This might be a huge issue and could cause a lot of bricked routers. People, ffs check whether you're uploading the correct firmware and Asus, please stop re-using model numbers and get your upgrade verification process back on track.

Last edited:
Holy sh*t. I just read @RMerlin in another thread saying this wouldn't be possible, but apparently it is. This might be a huge issue and could cause a lot of bricked routers. People, ffs check whether your uploading the correct firmware and Asus, please stop re-using model numbers and get your upgrade verification process back on track.
He right under normal circumstances it shouldn't be possible but clearly something different this time.

He right under normal circumstances it shouldn't be possible but clearly something different this time.

I've made the same mistake before myself once, with a previous build, but the verification process stopped me from messing things up, but it looks like there's a bug in the verification process now. @RMerlin, can you check and if so, inform Asus?

Did a dirty upgrade on a RT-AC68U from 386_2_2 to 386_2_4. VPN (ExpressVPN) does not start automatically after reboot. Any idea where to investigate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!