What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 386.3 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was that with the default camera? Just tried on mine and while the default camera doesn't work the qr code scanner they tucked away under WiFi settings does (right hand side of the screen on the page with listed WiFi networks).
No idea - was not my phone but I suspect he was just using the default camera app. Good to know the wifi settings have a QR scanner.

Having a strange issue with VPN Director.

I have setup nVidia shields to look for VPN1 (India) and Transmission to VPN3 (Norway). However, transmission still reporting India IP address:

View attachment 35347

View attachment 35348
Strangely ip rule shows all ok:

0: from all lookup local
9990: from all fwmark 0x8000/0x8000 lookup main
9993: from all fwmark 0x4000/0x4000 lookup ovpnc3
9995: from all fwmark 0x1000/0x1000 lookup ovpnc1
10210: from 192.168.2.180 lookup ovpnc1
10211: from 192.168.2.100 lookup ovpnc1
10212: from 192.168.2.156 lookup ovpnc1
10610: from 192.168.2.15 lookup ovpnc3
32766: from all lookup main
32767: from all lookup default

What is wrong here?
No taker??

Did a complete reset on my RT-AC68U. Previous version of my VPN Client worked fine, with this one the VPN does not connect.

I have received help from the VPN provider support but nothing seems to work.

Before the VPN status tab would show connection details and status, including a public IP address as well as a local IP.

After installing the firmware and reinstalling the VPN client, the public IP is described as "unknown".

There are no rules in VPN director, so all traffic is routed through VPN Client 1 when turned on.

Any ideas?
Similar for me. RT-AC68U and 386.2_6 worked fine returning my public IP. Upgraded to 386.3 and public IP was "unknown" on OpenVPN client. Reconfigured the client from the beginning and it was still the same. Reverted back to 386.2_6 and again is working fine. Will try to upgrade again and check the logs when I get a few minutes.

Similar for me. RT-AC68U and 386.2_6 worked fine returning my public IP. Upgraded to 386.3 and public IP was "unknown" on OpenVPN client.
Did you properly configure "Redirect Internet traffic"?

So after 3 days and 3 hours and something mins/sec, I got a random LAN/wifi disconnect. was about 11:53pmEST, however when I brought up router log, the last entry was 10pm??
I did not reboot router and connection was back up in 5 minutes or so.
Jul 30 22:00:08 dnsmasq-dhcp[1180]: DHCPACK(br0) .......................................
Jul 31 00:30:30 dnsmasq-dhcp[1180]: DHCPREQUEST(br0) ...................................
And up time is still counting
3 days 15 hour(s) 55 minute(s) 7 seconds

Unfortunately I can't log on to the gateway that is in bridgemode for some reason, perhaps it's an issue with the ISP or the Hitron CODA 4582 itself??

I'm also experiencing WiFi stopping (I think only the 5Ghz) for perhaps 3-5mins at a time. Over the last couple of days it's perhaps happened 3 times. Nothing reported in the logs, which I've now got set to debug. I haven't had time to dig into anything to test things out, but I thought I'd comment here due to the post above mentioning similar.

Thought i would share this here. I got the idea from others in the alpha thread.

Awesome update. No need to be giving my long password anymore (plus i always forget it anyways) haha
SmartSelect_20210731-161641_Gallery.jpg

Is the latter aspect of the above not indicative of a glitch in VPN Director? VPN Director shows the redirecting all traffic, and states WAN rules will have priority, but setting single WAN bypass fails. In any case, it seems reasonable to me that it should be possible to create exceptions in this way. RMerlin I think you expected it would work this way from your suggestion on IRC?

Otherwise what is the procedure for setting up everything (including router itself, and hence e.g. all forwarded DNS requests) to go through VPN, but to specify one or more exceptions to go through WAN based on destination IP?

Previously this was possible using exception lines like:

route IP NETMASK net_gateway

placed in the VPN client config, but this no longer works. It seems from searches on this forum quite a few users made use of this.

Perhaps now instead there might be a way to set up VPN Director to direct all traffic including router to go through VPN, e.g. by setting source IP to 0.0.0.0?

“VPN Director (Policy Rules)” seems to behave the same way as “Policy rules (strict)” from previous versions, so no custom routes are processed.

I’m trying to route Plex server to WAN from a device allocated its own VPN client connection, but since 386.3 the routing doesn’t take effect.

So i have a very strange scenario and issue. I have RX88U and an RX86U both were dirty upgraded to 386.3. The 86U was upgraded from stock and the 88U was upgraded from 386.2.

I have Bluesound Node 2i streamer that i use and connect to it using the iphone app and my macbook to control music that i'm streaming. Post updating the 86U (from stock) i am unable to connect from either the iphone or the laptop using their app (BlueOS Controller) using either ethernet or wireless. However, if i connect it to the 88U i can connect to it. Totally a very strange one off issue but it seems notable.

Oddly enough i thought of only one thing to try and even stranger it worked. Using wireless If i add the ip address to be manually assigned by dhcp i am able to connect with both an iphone and macbook. I

So, apparently the OnePlus phone's camera does not pick up the QR code for joining wifi. Had an alarm technician in the house yesterday and he asked to join the wifi. Thought it was the perfect time for them to try our my custom made "join our guest wifi" picture frame. Had him point his camera to it. Nothing. Very odd. Works like a charm with Samsung and Apple devices.
This normal - not all smartphones (firmware versions) are supporting QR codes in the camera app - use a QR Code scanner for this!

Hello, after update, my AX88U router can't connect to nordvpn, I already spoke with the customer service, they told it is because of an issue related with DNS and advised me to speak to ASUS. So, I am using Merlin, can anyone help me?

Attachments

• syslog (1).txt
    8.3 KB · Views: 80
Hello, after update, my AX88U router can't connect to nordvpn, I already spoke with the customer service, they told it is because of an issue related with DNS and advised me to speak to ASUS. So, I am using Merlin, can anyone help me?
Please open a new thread for your issue.
What your asking and providing has zero to do with the code release thread you have posted in.

Also, you will want to post either screen shots or all the data from the VPN director page in the Asus router gui. Along with model specific and issue specific details.

Final suggestion (if you have not already) is to perform a search. Nordvpn and Asus has been covered on several occasions. More importantly people will be more likely to assist if they know you have done some leg work prior to asking for support.
Good luck!

seems you are conected, have you turned on: VPN Director (policy rules) or Yes (all)

Hello

i upgraded 384.18 to 386.3 directly without reset (RT-AX56U).
It looks fine (VPN client not yet tested, todo list).

Thanks @RMerlin

anyone experiencing dns leaks with the new vpn director on 386.3? I am using the exact same vpn config (enabled vpn to start on boot, accept dns set to exclusive, vpn director policy rules, killswitch enabled, added my entire network 192.168.50.1/24 to go through vpn) as on 386.2 with no dns leak but after upgrading to 386.3, I am now getting dns leak as tested on dnsleaktest.com

anyone experiencing dns leaks with the new vpn director on 386.3? I am using the exact same vpn config (enabled vpn to start on boot, accept dns set to exclusive, vpn director policy rules, killswitch enabled, added my entire network 192.168.50.1/24 to go through vpn) as on 386.2 with no dns leak but after upgrading to 386.3, I am now getting dns leak as tested on dnsleaktest.com
Me too, but my leak is with DNA set to strict. Not exclusive.

Last edited:
I did during the beta phase and the issue was on my side with the VPN client's DNS going to my Pi-hole's before it hits the router (DHCP hand out was giving out the Pi-hole IPs for DNS). Not sure if that's your issue - check your DNS settings. I had to set up manually assigned IPs for the devices I wanted to go through the VPN to have the Router IP as their DNS. This eliminated the DNS leak while leaving the rest of my devices to follow the normal non-VPN'd Pi-hole path.

See here: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/a...eta-is-now-available.73419/page-6#post-698384

Having a strange issue with VPN Director.

I have setup nVidia shields to look for VPN1 (India) and Transmission to VPN3 (Norway). However, transmission still reporting India IP address:

View attachment 35347

View attachment 35348
Strangely ip rule shows all ok:

0: from all lookup local
9990: from all fwmark 0x8000/0x8000 lookup main
9993: from all fwmark 0x4000/0x4000 lookup ovpnc3
9995: from all fwmark 0x1000/0x1000 lookup ovpnc1
10210: from 192.168.2.180 lookup ovpnc1
10211: from 192.168.2.100 lookup ovpnc1
10212: from 192.168.2.156 lookup ovpnc1
10610: from 192.168.2.15 lookup ovpnc3
32766: from all lookup main
32767: from all lookup default

What is wrong here?
Did I provided less information or issue too complicated?

I did during the beta phase and the issue was on my side with the VPN client's DNS going to my Pi-hole's before it hits the router (DHCP hand out was giving out the Pi-hole IPs for DNS). Not sure if that's your issue - check your DNS settings. I had to set up manually assigned IPs for the devices I wanted to go through the VPN to have the Router IP as their DNS. This eliminated the DNS leak while leaving the rest of my devices to follow the normal non-VPN'd Pi-hole path.

See here: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/a...eta-is-now-available.73419/page-6#post-698384
So in 386.3 I now have to manually enter the ip address of each device in order to not have a dns leak? whereas before on 386.2 I could just set my whole network to go through the vpn with no dns leaks and whitelist a few devices to go to wan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!