What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 386.4 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RMerlin

Asuswrt-Merlin dev
After a long wait, the new version of Asuswrt-Merlin is now available. 386.4 merges with GPL 386_45958 (plus a number of security fixes backported from newer code), updates various components, and also adds support for the RT-AX86S (uses the same firmware as the RT-AX86U).

The highlights of this release;
  • Merges with GPL 386_45958.
  • Adds support for the RT-AX86S (uses the same firmware as the RT-AX86U).
  • HND firmware now include both the kernel module and userspace tool for Wireguard. There is no built-in support for Wireguard at this time, these are only included for end-user or third party usage. Asus is still working on their own implementation, which isn't available yet.
  • OpenVPN server now supports IPv6, both for incoming connections, and for routing access to the LAN clients over IPv6. Note however that redirecting IPv6 Internet traffic through your server is not supported.
  • Component updates: curl 7.79.1, vsftpd to 3.0.5, openssl to 1.1.1m, wget to 1.21.1, nettle to 3.7.3, dnsmasq 2.86, openvpn 2.5.5, tor 0.4.5.11, miniupnpd 2.2.3-git 20211017, inadyn 2.9.1 and amtm 3.2.2.
  • jitterentropy-rngd was replaced by haveged. Haveged is more resource-intensive, but it works properly under older 2.6.x kernels.
  • dnsmasq was reverted back to using nettle for its DNSSEC crypto handling (since openssl support never got mainlined and was increasingly problematic to support)
  • miniupnpd now uses the real public IP address instead of any potentially (double-)NATed address for the WAN.
  • Reworked DHCP hostname support to use Asus's own implementation.
  • A couple of various bugfixes

Please review the Changelog for complete details.

Notes:
  • 386.4 uses the new DHCP hostname implementation from Asus (your entries will automatically be converted to the new format on first boot). This means however that reverting to a previous firmware version will lose all of your defined static lease hostnames, so backup your configuration before upgrading if you expect you might need to downgrade afterward.
Please keep posts in this thread on this specific release. This thread will be locked after a few weeks once the release feedback has died down.

Downloads are here.
Changelog is here.

Known issues:

• Internet reported as disconnected
    Your Internet monitoring configuration is most likely incorrect. Reset it to its default settings by running these over SSH:

Code:
    nvram set dns_probe_content="131.107.255.255 112.4.20.71 fd3e:4f5a:5b81::1"
    nvram set dns_probe_host="dns.msftncsi.com"
    nvram commit

Last edited:
Let's GO!

Smooth upgrade. Vanilla setup here. Working great. Thank you Merlin.

Appreciate all you do RMerlin. We're starting the year fresh!!! Happy New Years to the SNBForums family!!! Wish you all health, happiness and many blessings!!!!!

Just updated now everything went smoothly. Happy New Year and Thank you.

updated my RT-AC5300 just now to 386.4 and now I have a Chinese option in the main menu. I do not know what it is and wondering how to get rid of it?
It means you have a router purchased from China, which enables support for a China-only feature.

You cannot remove it.

It means you have a router purchased from China, which enables support for a China-only feature.

You cannot remove it.
Thanks so much RMerlin, it was strange that it wasn't showing before though - As I am in Australia, will this affect my wifi channels as well?
Cheers

Thanks so much RMerlin, it was strange that it wasn't showing before though - As I am in Australia, will this affect my wifi channels as well?
Cheers
IF you bought it from China, then it probably already uses China region regulations. Some SKUs allow you to change the region under Wireless -> Professional, you will have to see if that's the case for your specific SKU.

Dirty upgrade from 386.3_2 to 386.4 smoothly 5 mins ago.
Internet seem all right so far.

Thanks for 386.4.

Flashed 386.4 factory reset and reconfigure working good AX58U. Thanks @Merlin

AX68U (just arrived yesterday)
Updated to most recent Asus firmware, then 386.3_2 then, because it was released 40 or so minutes after, to 386.4.

All good so far, VPN director up and running with routing working. All seems well so far.

Dirty upgrade from 386.4 beta 3 to 386.4 (final) a few minutes ago. So far so good.

Happy New Year and thank you Éric!!!

Dirty upgrade 1 hour ago - all stable here.

Thank you for all the great work and happy New Year

Dirty update from previous Release version on my APs. Nest cameras had some issues connecting at the start. Seem to be ok now - will keep an eye on them this weekend. Rest of my devices re-connected without issues. Router still at previous release version at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!