What's new

Beta Asuswrt-Merlin 386.5 Beta is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the usual 'time frame' from a Beta release, to a stable one?

Just updated 2 AX88U's and done a whole reboot to the system.
My WiFi instability speeds seems allegadly to be back, but have to further test it.
Hopefully WiFi instabillity is gone for good after this version.

Hello everyone. I've just joined the forum. I have a question: is there support for wireguard on RT-AX86U in this (386.5) beta version?
I have currently release 386.4 installed and it works flawless. Thanks.

Hello everyone. I've just joined the forum. I have a question: is there support for wireguard on RT-AX86U in this (386.5) beta version?
I have currently release 386.4 installed and it works flawless. Thanks.
I am running wireguard on an AX86U now - works well!
There is a wireguard kernel module and a helper script (wg-quick) in the present 386.5 beta - Asus is planning on full support (GUI setup etc.) in the future.

For now, I am using @Martineau wg_manager add-on, available via amtm. Here is some good documentation written by @ZebMcKayhan :

It takes care of not only creating the .conf files needed by wireguard but also sets up various iptables rules. Good stuff!

I am running wireguard on an AX86U now - works well!
There is a wireguard kernel module and a helper script (wg-quick) in the present 386.5 beta - Asus is planning on full support (GUI setup etc.) in the future.

For now, I am using @Martineau wg_manager add-on, available via amtm. Here is some good documentation written by @ZebMcKayhan :

It takes care of not only creating the .conf files needed by wireguard but also sets up various iptables rules. Good stuff!
Many thanks!! I'll go through it as soon as I can.
Are you using release 386.4 or beta 386.5 1. I mean, can I run that add-on on stable version? Or have I got to upgrade to beta?
Thanks a lot!

Are you using release 386.4 or beta 386.5 1. I mean, can I run that add-on on stable version? Or have I got to upgrade to beta?
Thanks a lot!

The wireguard moduale and helper script userspace tools is available in the 386.4 firmware. The Wireguard Manger addon also works on current stable

Thanks a lot!
I was running it on 386.4 and now 386.5 Beta.
You will need to install Entware (and a swap file is recommended) using amtm on a USB storage device. Then install wg_manager.
Easy stuff ;-)

That is very hard to tell. Everything depends on how many breaking/problematic issues are reported and how much spare time RMerlin has to fix them or create a stable release.
So it goes from days to weeks or months

Succesfully updated my 2 boxes.

@JGrana, @Jeffrey Young, thanks for you help. I will try it as soon as I can.

@juanantonio , I just checked AMTM. You can install the Wireguard Session Manager now via AMTM (option wg). I follow the wireguard session manager forum post - that script has really exploded in features, but I have not used it myself. I have my Wireguard server on another Ubuntu PC at the moment. When my WG server was hosted on the rourter (AC86U), it worked well. My only issue was (at the time, using another script born here), all my config files were wiped every time WG was updated by entware. Hence why I moved off the router. I don't believe the current Wireguard Session Manager has this issue.

1. This release is already stable (as were alpha1 and alpha2 for supported routers).
  2. @RMerlin will move to (another beta or) final release after any reported issues are assessed/addressed and his time allows (this is not something that pays the bills for him).

@juanantonio , I just checked AMTM. You can install the Wireguard Session Manager now via AMTM (option wg). I follow the wireguard session manager forum post - that script has really exploded in features, but I have not used it myself. I have my Wireguard server on another Ubuntu PC at the moment. When my WG server was hosted on the rourter (AC86U), it worked well. My only issue was (at the time, using another script born here), all my config files were wiped every time WG was updated by entware. Hence why I moved off the router. I don't believe the current Wireguard Session Manager has this issue.
Well, my initial purpose is installing wireguard on the router as a client for my VPN provider and protect all my home devices in this way.
I suppose I can install it on my AX-86U in this way using the information provided by @JGrana (GitHub of @ZebMcKayhan and @Martineau ).
Do I need to maintain the usb with Entware plugged into the router after installing Wireguard?
Thanks again.

Oh, sorry for my last comment. I've just launched amtm on my router and I can see there is a menu option for installing Wireguard Session Manager. Is this all I need to run?
Thanks.

I was running it on 386.4 and now 386.5 Beta.
You will need to install Entware (and a swap file is recommended) using amtm on a USB storage device. Then install wg_manager.
Easy stuff ;-)
Ahh.. Ok. First I need to instal entware via amtm, then install wireguard. I will give it a try.
Thanks a lot!

386.5b1 working fine on my home AC86U main/AP combo. There is the issue with website blocking being elevated to error status and therefore bloating my logs, and I am also occasionally seeing the "kernel: ^[[0;33;41mBLOG ERROR blog_request :blog_key corruption when adding flow..." error again, but presumably, both of these issues are out of Merlin's hands.

OK that's something I can't test, but maybe someone else can.

So have I got this correct:
1) Your router is running an L2TP client for the entire LAN.
2) Various PCs on the LAN may sometimes enable their own VPN client using OpenVPN, Wireguard, ExpressVPN Lightway or IPSec/IKEv2.
3) The PC VPNs are being tunnelled through the router's L2TP client.

If all the above statements are true I can't see why it would be a NAT passthrough issue as none of the PC clients are using it (their traffic is tunnelled) and neither is the router. Also, as far as I can see the NAT passthrough code hasn't changed for years.
the above is correct but not complete. My bad for being incomplete.
Default clients run the router vpn. But the clients that use their device client vpn are not always routed through the router VPN. Some clients (my own for example) are not using the VPN on the router and bypass those are not working properly.

If the L2TP client is not active on the router, I notice that clients are blocked with the 2 asus routers that I have. The moment I run them through a different router (e.g. cisco) the clients all work excellent.

the above is correct but not complete. My bad for being incomplete.
Default clients run the router vpn. But the clients that use their device client vpn are not always routed through the router VPN. Some clients (my own for example) are not using the VPN on the router and bypass those are not working properly.

If the L2TP client is not active on the router, I notice that clients are blocked with the 2 asus routers that I have. The moment I run them through a different router (e.g. cisco) the clients all work excellent.
Thanks for the update. There are too many variables for me to hazard a guess where the problem lies. For example, if I change my router for a different one it will get a different public IP address. This in turn might be on a blacklist whereas the previous one wasn't.

So, in a situation where you're not using the L2TP client on the router and the PC VPN is using OpenVPN then nothing is using NAT passthrough. So in this particular case that can't be the problem.

Hey Folks

I have a question. I flash this beta on my AX86u and so far so good. For some reason ,and this issue was there in the stock firmware as well , I am seeing my link rate slows down to 1200 mbps after a day. If I reboot the router it goes back to 2400 mbps and then it drops again. Is this a problem with the router hardware ? It is affecting my transfer speeds over Wifi to my NAS.

1645718182241.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!