What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 386.5 GNUton's builds are now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

If you've started with a full reset to factory defaults, no.

Did you do a full reset?

Did you use a saved backup config file?

Okay, if you also haven't been toggling features/options on/off randomly too (leaving the feature/option off isn't the same as toggling the same feature/option on/off), then all we can do is for Asus to fix this in the next GPL drop RMerlin and GNUton receives from them.

Yea, seems like that. Not a big issue thou, as I can hardwire during install, and then they work fine when unplugging the lan cable.

Don't know if this is the right place to ask.... But my XT8 node (gnuton) appears to be bricked.

If this is the wrong place please say and I'll post the sordid details in the suggested area

Don't know if this is the right place to ask.... But my XT8 node (gnuton) appears to be bricked.

If this is the wrong place please say and I'll post the sordid details in the suggested area
Not directly as builds are discussed here, a dedicated topic will certainly offer more help. Do not hesitate to add details (FW version, how it happened, if you did the WPS reset procedure, etc)

I am
I get frequent wifi disconnections – from what I can see online this is an inherent issue with the main firmware and not a gnuton-specific problem. I just downgraded to gnuton 386.5_2, hoping it will fix the issue. Is anyone else seeing this?
I had an issue similar, turned out the electrical in the wall was causing interference on all my equipment. Something you may want to look into.

Hey guys.

Just a kind review for me. Installed XT8 merlin firmware, but second mesh was not able to detect the first one.
After hours i just flashed back the original asus firmware after factory reset (who worked 1 time after a lot of reboots, if you do it, always cut the others, because the mesh try to connect to the older (it recovers the old parameters)

My girlfriend noticed me that there were a lot of "cut-off" connection, and i noticed too, changed parameters found on the asus website, less loss of connection but always 2 times / day i think at least.

So i send back the XT8 to the seller (i got it since 10 days) and recover my money, and look at XD6.

I think that this product is not yet done, maybe firmware or hardware has failure.

You should do the factory reset after flashing the firmware. Doing the reset first probably doesn't hurt anything, but after is what gets you the benefit.

Sorry to hear of your troubles. Been running GNUton's Merlin port on both XT8 here without any problems. 66 days plus 22 hours uptime just now.

Installed XT8 merlin firmware, but second mesh was not able to detect the first one

Wireless node discovery doesn't work in Asuswrt-Merlin. You have to use Ethernet connection for the initial setup.

By the way, now i'm looking and have 2 models : rt-ax92U or xd6S.

Do you know which'll have the best coverage ? I have a big small wall with reinforced concrete (the signal is very poor else with a 10 meters distance between the two nods), a park in front of my house and wanted to know which'll cover the more distance and be the best...

I wouldn't be looking at those for more than 1 minute. RT-AX92U is an old (2018) and weird tri-band model with single AX radio, firmware issues history and no firmware update for about a year. Still on 386 base firmware and if/when it will be updated is unknown. Perhaps will be discontinued soon, if not already. ZenWiFi XD6S is a stripped down version of XD6 - a stripped down version of XT8. You're jumping from bad to worse. Why?

I wouldn't be looking at those for more than 1 minute. RT-AX92U is an old (2018) and weird tri-band model with single AX radio, firmware issues history and no firmware update for about a year. Still on 386 base firmware and if/when it will be updated is unknown. Perhaps will be discontinued soon, if not already. ZenWiFi XD6S is a stripped down version of XD6 - a stripped down version of XT8. You're jumping from bad to worse. Why?

Well... i search a pack of 2, router + 1 node at this price range... (around 300 € for 2). I'm from belgium so i order often on amazon.fr
Any suggestion would be welcome, thanx a lot.

Last edited:
Well... i search a pack of 2, router + 1 node at this price range... (around 300 € for 2). I'm from belgium so i order often on amazon.fr
Any suggestion would be welcome, thanx a lot.
Coolblue have a 2*XT8 pack around 370€ for the moment. Not checked elsewhere yet, but it's a good reference in BE :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!