What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 386.5 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope... do it once and you never do that again. But yeah, something to consider.

What's really, really odd. I can't use the reset button to put it into recovery and reset. But, if reboot normally I connect it to my network through lan ports and It shows up on the lan. Trying to open the admin console through web UI at the IP address gives the error that it cannot connect the AI Mesh Router. Trying to SSH into it now... if I can get in I'll try to write the OE Asus firmware...

Update... looks like I can log in via SSH. Recommendations on next steps? Note it is reporting fw as Merlin RT-AC68U 386.5_1, so confirm didn't write the AC86 fw, I think.

Another really odd thing... the wlan lights on the front are lit for both 2.4 and 5g. But, searching for it with a laptop 18" away doesn't pick up either wifi signal. Seems to confirm it thinks it is still a mesh node that can't connect to mesh host, even after having pressed the reset button numerous times.

What is the proper code to MTD write firmware for Asus? Haven't done this since Linksys 54G and DD-WRT days. TIA for any assistance...
WARNING - DANGER:

Before you perform the following via ssh (make damn sure you have the correct firmware for your router) & you probably should verify file integrity via checksum.
+
I'd wait to here from RMerlin that this is still OK to do BECAUSE...
-the firmware size has basically doubled because of the newer rev2 model of 68 so...
I'm not sure if this flash writing technique is still suitable.
Why? If it simply tries a byte/byte transfer starting at file-beginning to the End of File...
It probably will not work & could "likely" brick the device permanently.

Hence, proceed with caution...
mtd_write -r write RT-N56U_Latest.trx Firmware_Stub
Sorry, EDIT:
/sbin/mtd-write2 -r write RT-N56U_Latest.trx Firmware_Stub

Last edited:
Up about 15hrs now on 386.5_2 after dirty upgrade from 386.5_1 on RT-AX3000 (really RT-AX58U firmware). No issues for my relatively simple setup.

WARNING - DANGER:

Before you perform the following via ssh (make damn sure you have the correct firmware for your router) & you probably should verify file integrity via checksum.
+
-the firmware size has basically doubled because of the newer rev2 model of 68 so...
Why? If it simply tries a byte/byte transfer starting at file-beginning to the End of File...

Sorry, EDIT:
Thank you! Exactly what I asked for! Was about to proceed with Merlin's guide here: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/faq-nvram-and-factory-default-reset.22822/
But with your caution note on filesize, I'll also hold for a bit to see if @Merlin jumps in with an update.
TIA

WARNING - DANGER:

+

Sorry, EDIT:
What the hell is this! He doesn't have an RT-N56U and his RT-AC68U doesn't have a partition labelled "Firmware_Stub"

What the hell is this! He doesn't have an RT-N56U and his RT-AC68U doesn't have a partition labelled "Firmware_Stub"
Thanks (I think), In my own defense, I did say to wait to hear back from RMerlin First & just caught my error. I was trying to edit the following but (Obviously) made some mistakes...

1. Use "scp" to transfer the .w file to the remote router's /tmp directory
% scp RT-AC68U_386.5_2.trx admin@1.2.3.4:/tmp

2. Login to the remote router using 'ssh' and update the firmware via the CLI
% ssh admin@1.2.3.4
# cd /tmp
# /sbin/hnd-write RT-AC86U_386.5_0_cferom_ubi.w
maybe... (but ask RMerlin FIRST, or perhaps ColinTaylor?)
/sbin/mtd-write2 -r write RT-AC68U_386.5_2.trx

3. When that completes, return back to the GUI and use the "Reboot" button to restart the remote router.

Last edited:
Smooth semi-dirty upgrade on my AX88U from 386.5 to 386.5_2. (semi = uninstalled scripts and usb first, upgraded, reinstalled scripts and usb)
All is rocking so far! Thanks @RMerlin !

I got the following when trying to have a IPV4 only client (AX88U) connect to my IPV6 capable OpenVPN server (AX86) at a different location. I was only able to resolve this by disabling IPV6 on the server.
OpenVPN clients don't support IPv6.

Thanks (I think), In my own defense, I did say to wait to hear back from RMerlin First & just caught my error. I was trying to edit the following but (Obviously) made some mistakes...

Plot thickens... logging on with SCP, attempt to upload Asus OE fw for AC68u ~98k file size, the upload errors out with not enough space. And SCP reports ~ 85k uploaded. I could free up some space by deleting the .dict files for languages I don't need, but there's more going on.

Factory reset via command line? Free-up space and try again? Or with the non-responsive Reset button would performing a nvram erase put it out of comms?

the firmware size has basically doubled because of the newer rev2 model of 68 so...
Probably not. I wouldn't try it for sure.

% scp RT-AC68U_386.5_2.trx admin@1.2.3.4:/tmp

% ssh admin@1.2.3.4
# cd /tmp
# /sbin/hnd-write RT-AC86U_386.5_0_cferom_ubi.w
maybe... (but ask RMerlin FIRST, or perhaps ColinTaylor?)
/sbin/mtd-write2 -r write RT-AC68U_386.5_2.trx

3. When that completes, return back to the GUI and use the "Reboot" button to restart the remote router.
Good grief. Are you just making these mtd-write2 commands up as you go along?

Rest assured I'm going to try everything before resorting to forced low-level partition write. And I'll be patient for @RMerlin to comment. Either way, this router is EOL for me, just an excuse for me to recover it, give it to one of my kids and get a new AP, extender. IF it goes full brick with me messing with it, it has had a good run!

Dirty update on my ac88u I'm getting all dns redirecting to 10.0.0.1 and invalid request in browser.

Prob gonna factory reset it and see if that sorts it out

Edit: No dice starting fresh.

Dirty revert after factory reset to the last build didn't work either

Dirty Revert to 386.5 beta 1 worked.

This new build does not work for me, even with a factory reset.

Previous build works fine from a factory reset, upgrading straight to 386.5_2 from it has no errors can resolve dns but nothing connects.

Weird, first build I've ever really had any major issues with.

RT-AX86U AIMesh pair - USB removed, dirty upgrade from the recent RT-AX86U_386.5_1-g8858f16344 build to 386.5_2. Seems stable, logs look normal, AMTM installed applications appear good. Thanks Merlin and community!

todd@RT-AC68U-4C78:/sbin# ls mt*
mtd-erase2 mtd-unlock mtd-write2

Actually it seems on BOTH my RT-AC68U routers..
mtd-write2 actually exists so, apparently not.

Although I've never tried mtd-write2 myself, (that's why I recommended asking RMerlin first).
I have in fact successfully performed...

/sbin/hnd-write RT-AC86U_386.5_0_cferom_ubi.w

And when the traditional WebFlash method failed to update remotely several times...
hnd-write

Succeeded, FACT

todd@RT-AC68U-4C78:/sbin# ls mt*
mtd-erase2 mtd-unlock mtd-write2

Actually it seems on BOTH my RT-AC68U routers..
mtd-write2 actually exists so, apparently not.

Although I've never tried mtd-write2 myself, (that's why I recommended asking RMerlin first).
I have in fact successfully performed...

/sbin/hnd-write RT-AC86U_386.5_0_cferom_ubi.w

And when the traditional WebFlash method failed to update remotely several times...
hnd-write

Succeeded, FACT
The parameters you're passing to the mtd-write2 command are nonsense. You seem to be using a mashup of old MIPS commands that aren't relevant or even syntactically valid for the RT-AC68U. That's why I said you just seem to be making things up.

Rest assured I'm going to try everything before resorting to forced low-level partition write. And I'll be patient for @RMerlin to comment. Either way, this router is EOL for me, just an excuse for me to recover it, give it to one of my kids and get a new AP, extender. IF it goes full brick with me messing with it, it has had a good run!
I'm sure you saw RMerlin advise against
The parameters you're passing to the mtd-write2 command are nonsense. You seem to be using a mashup of old MIPS commands that aren't relevant or even syntactically valid for the RT-AC68U. That's why I said you just seem to be making things up.
You are technically correct, but I'm only trying to help as Wisiwyg is sounding desperate.
Very often with Asus & Linux the commands are similar.
But, in this case some further searching just showed me...

mtd-write2 FW_RT_AC68U_30043763626.trx linux

I was obviously missing the "linux" destination in my previous posts.
However since RMerlin just advised against doing so with the recent COMBINED Larger firmware...

One final idea, Perhaps Wisiwyg could successfully flash the Last small Non-Combined RT-AC68U firmware. In an attempt to UNBRICK

@Wisiwyg Maybe try the following...

WARNING - do NOT try this with any firmware ABOVE: RT-AC68U_386.4_0
Why? The Firmware has doubled in size & flashing via this meathod will MOST-Likely BRICK the device

Download the LAST non-combined firmware for the: RT-AC68U

1. Use "scp" to transfer the .trx file to the remote router's /tmp directory
# scp RT-AC68U_386.4_0.trx admin@1.2.3.4:/tmp

# ssh admin@1.2.3.4
# cd /tmp
# /sbin/mtd-write2 RT-AC68U_386.4_0.trx linux

3. When that completes...
# reboot now

Hell in your case, you could even just CUT the power...
What do you have to loose?
Good Luck

Smooth dirty upgrade to from 386.5_1 to 386.5_2. Smooth sailing on ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!