What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 386.5 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've tried completely resetting the device (it's an IP camera by the way), but that didn't work.

I've tried numerous things, including changing the guest SSID and such. The only way I'm able to connect it is when protected management frames are disabled, and no guest network is configured on that band. Enabling any guest network, or setting the protected management frames to anything but disabled, causes the device to disconnect.

The log indicates the device is not authenticated with the current station or something in that direction, which makes me believe the protected management frames are enabled in the broadcom driver as soon as a guest SSID is enabled, regardless of the wireless setting in the firmware.
I've just checked this on my RT-AX86U and it appears that you are (mostly) correct.

It looks like mfp is explicitly disabled on guest networks #1 (wl0.1_mfp and wl1.1_mfp). But there is no explicit setting for networks #2 or #3 and so mfp is enabled (i.e. Capable) by default.

If you want to disable mfp for 2.4GHz guest network #2 for example, you can issue these commands:
Code:
nvram set wl0.2_mfp=0
service restart_wireless

Last edited:
I've just checked this on my RT-AX86U and it appears that you are (mostly) correct.
<<snip>>
Code:
nvram set wl0.2_mfp=0
service restart_wireless

Thanks Colin - I can corfm thi issue and your fix as well. I was waiting and wondering if this would be run to ground... Finally, another bug/issue fix - and a cmd-line solution. Thanks man.

Last edited:
If i activate the firewall - cpu core one stays at 100%. Got a RT-AX86U. Any ideas?

Why did you deactivate the firewall?

???

Is that the only troubleshooting step you've done?

Is this a new router? Is this the first time you've flashed RMerlin on it?

Did you even try a reboot?

???

Is that the only troubleshooting step you've done?

Is this a new router? Is this the first time you've flashed RMerlin on it?

Did you even try a reboot?
Tried reboot and reflash (with factory and WPS reset).
I'm ssing portforwarding and have 2 AI-Mesh nodes connected wireless-ly.

Tried reboot and reflash (with factory and WPS reset).
I'm ssing portforwarding and have 2 AI-Mesh nodes connected wireless-ly.
I have found that the Hard Factory Reset, AKA WPS reset, does not always work on the AX86U. Reset and initialize all settings does seem to work for me. However, a manual configure is used when going between firmware versions. Currently, Merlin 386.5 works better for me than Asus.
As for your firewall being turned off, not a good idea at all! Reset and reconfigure and let it run a while with no added apps. It should settle down after a bit.

I have found that the Hard Factory Reset, AKA WPS reset, does not always work on the AX86U. Reset and initialize all settings does seem to work for me. However, a manual configure is used when going between firmware versions. Currently, Merlin 386.5 works better for me than Asus.
As for your firewall being turned off, not a good idea at all! Reset and reconfigure and let it run a while with no added apps. It should settle down after a bit.
You misunderstand the problem, i have to turn it of since the core #1 uses 100% CPU if it's on.

You misunderstand the problem, i have to turn it of since the core #1 uses 100% CPU if it's on.
If it's doing that straight away after a factory reset and before you've done anything else (apart from setting up the mandatory user names and passwords) there's something seriously wrong.

While it's in that state (100% CPU) enable SSH access (Administration - System > Service) and then log in and run top to see what is causing the problem.

Last edited:
If it's doing that straight away after a factory reset and before you've done anything else (apart from setting up the mandatory user names and passwords) there's something seriously wrong.

While it's in that state (100% CPU) enable SSH access (Administration - System > Service) and then log in and run top to see what is causing the problem.
If in fact he is coming from 386.1_2, wouldn't he have that login issue after the upgrade where the router does some system work. I remember it taking some people an hour before the core calmed down.

Few days ago I complained about DNS not resolving request, when using DoT.
Well, not only when using DoT, even this simple setup stopped working :(
Anybody else experiencing this?
Restarting DNS helps.

Attachments

• dns.png
    dns.png
    28.7 KB · Views: 152
If in fact he is coming from 386.1_2, wouldn't he have that login issue after the upgrade where the router does some system work. I remember it taking some people an hour before the core calmed down.
Good point. But he said he's flashed this firmware (386.5) and done a factory reset so theoretically there shouldn't be any "old data" to convert. But there were reports specifically for the RT-AC86U where it wasn't clearing out the /jffs data after a factory reset.

@torjohron Can you do another factory reset (Administration - Restore/Save/Upload Setting) with the "Initialize all the settings" box ticked.

Last edited:
Few days ago I complained about DNS not resolving request, when using DoT.
Well, not only when using DoT, even this simple setup stopped working :(
Anybody else experiencing this?
Restarting DNS helps.
Your DNS problem is most likely your using DNSSEC to Google upstream resolvers. You will have better reliability just using DoT without DNSSEC. You might do better with another DNS resolver such as Quad9.

I have seen several DNS failure reports with 386.5 and AX86U routers. I have not experienced repeated DNS failures. Occasionally DNS does hang for a second or two but it is no worse than when I was on DSL with no DoT/ DNSSEC. I do not use the DNSSEC from the Merlin GUI which is handeled by dnsmasq. I use Stubby, with a stubby.postconf file, to enable DNSSEC and disable round_robin_upstreams.

RT-AC68U main router - USB drive unmounted and a dirty update done from 386.4 to 386.5. All appears normal and solid.

On my RT-AC86U I can only add 6 DoT servers to my WAN page, I don't have this problem with the RT-AC68U running the same firmware.

When I add the 7th and save it, it disappears after refreshing the page.

I would have thought this would happen on a 68U with insufficient nvram space, but the 68U has zero issues here. all routers did a clean reset and had plenty of nvram space.

I have to point out that some URLs are really long, but the AC68 handles it just fine, why can't the AC86U?

EDIT: This issue probably stems from a Broadcom limitation, and I'm sure it was present in previous firmware as well, not a 386.5 issue. read more: http://www.snbforums.com/threads/ac...han-11-devices-in-dnsfilter.77892/post-751520

Last edited:
On my RT-AC86U I can only add 6 DoT servers to my WAN page, I don't have this problem with the RT-AC68U running the same firmware.

I would have thought this would happen on a 68U with insufficient nvram space, but the 68U has zero issues here. all routers did a clean reset and had plenty of nvram space.

I have to point out that some URLs are really long, but the AC68 handles it just fine, why can't the AC86U?
HND routers like the AC86U have limits on the length of custom nvram variables. Not sure this still applies once Asus implements the same features upstream.

Same here. Running GT-AC2900

Since i change the setting Log only messages more urgent than to warning, the syslog is a lot less crowded.
But i get these last day:

Mar 13 03:00:31 wsdd2[1889]: error: wsdd-mcast-v4: wsd_send_soap_msg: send
Mar 13 03:01:14 wsdd2[1889]: error: wsdd-mcast-v4: wsd_send_soap_msg: send

This is the exact time i had my backup schecdule of one's of my computer to my external usb hd connected to the router (usb 3.0).
And at that time i had 2 events on Windows for the machine beeing backed up.

Backups seems ok.

Last edited:
Everything ok with 386.5, one thing I found :
Can't change SSH in Administration from LAN to LAN/WAN, when saving and refresh page it is back to LAN.
Will do via nvram now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!