What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 386.5 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I encountered a strange hick-up with one of my RT-AC5300.

After 14 days of running 386.5 without any problems, the second 5Hgz WiFi on my RT-AC5300 crashed last night. Power off, reboot, reboot again, it did not help. Only by cable connection and re-flash of the firmware it came back alive. Now for around 12 hours stable. I hope it stays that way.

Here is a feedback on the version 386.5 (AX88U) => No problem to report for almost 15 days.
The LAN/WAN and Wifi 5 Ghz / 2,4 Ghz connection works without problem with all my devices.
Everything is stable and I didn't need to reboot the router so far.
I really think that the 386.5 version on an (AX88U) router is the best to date !
Thanks again Merlin :cool:
Sans titre 1.png

Last edited:
Flashed 386.5 working really nice. But I had some strange problem with 5Ghz today I have Acer Nitro 17 black edition with wifi which supports 5ghz. Windows are freshly installed with all drivers working without any problem. I tried running speedtest today and first 3 times I got download around 5-6Mbps and upload about 70Mbps. And after that third time I got like 500Mbps download and upload also like that I have 1Gbps/500Mbps speed. Why was 5ghz connection that bad first few times, any idea ?

I had to roll back my AC86 to 386.4. After the upgrade to 386.5 I had issues with the Wi-Fi. It happened about few hours after reboot. I had to reboot it 2 times. I didn't have time to troubleshoot since we are working from home and we needed stable connection. 386.4 works fine. I have AC68 with the latest Asus firmware as a mesh node but I haven't change anything there so most likely something with 386.5...

I had to roll back my AC86 to 386.4. After the upgrade to 386.5 I had issues with the Wi-Fi. It happened about few hours after reboot. I had to reboot it 2 times. I didn't have time to troubleshoot since we are working from home and we needed stable connection. 386.4 works fine. I have AC68 with the latest Asus firmware as a mesh node but I haven't change anything there so most likely something with 386.5...

I noticed some strange behaviour from wifi too like I said, don't know about 2.4Ghz, but on 5Ghz I noticed some issues.

Hi, I updated to 386.5 from 386.4 (dirty flash) around 10 days ago and after a few days, I started noticing frequent disconnects on my clients. Found out that my AX86U has been rebooting by itself - status leds would all light up then off then on again. At its worst, it was hard to reach uptime of 1 hour! Not sure if a full reboot is happening as clients would only lose connection for about a minute only (e.g. iPhone would lose wifi, show LTE then reconnect to wifi again). Figured a clean install is needed so I did a nuclear reset (reset, reflash, reset) and the rebooting stopped. I replaced the usb drive as well just to be sure lol

I then enabled services one by one and problem came back when I enabled any of the TrendMicro features. Disabling them would stop the rebooting problem again. Weird thing is that even accepting the TrendMicro license whilst all the TM features are disabled also causes the reboots. To be fair, the reboots are longer now (1 hour or so instead of minutes) after the nuclear reset. I attached the log which is pretty much the same (as far as I can tell) whenever the reboots happen. Currently running without any of the TrendMicro stuff and its been 7 hours uptime now (its the 3rd time I'm testing without any TM stuff). Any ideas? Worst case, I will probably run it this way till the next fw version rather than going back to 386.4.

Attachments

• paulml-ax86u-crashlog-03172022.txt
    69.6 KB · Views: 70
Hi, I updated to 386.5 from 386.4 (dirty flash) around 10 days ago and after a few days, I started noticing frequent disconnects on my clients. Found out that my AX86U has been rebooting by itself - status leds would all light up then off then on again. At its worst, it was hard to reach uptime of 1 hour! Not sure if a full reboot is happening as clients would only lose connection for about a minute only (e.g. iPhone would lose wifi, show LTE then reconnect to wifi again). Figured a clean install is needed so I did a nuclear reset (reset, reflash, reset) and the rebooting stopped. I replaced the usb drive as well just to be sure lol

I then enabled services one by one and problem came back when I enabled any of the TrendMicro features. Disabling them would stop the rebooting problem again. Weird thing is that even accepting the TrendMicro license whilst all the TM features are disabled also causes the reboots. To be fair, the reboots are longer now (1 hour or so instead of minutes) after the nuclear reset. I attached the log which is pretty much the same (as far as I can tell) whenever the reboots happen. Currently running without any of the TrendMicro stuff and its been 7 hours uptime now (its the 3rd time I'm testing without any TM stuff). Any ideas? Worst case, I will probably run it this way till the next fw version rather than going back to 386.4.

Hi Paul,

I use all the TrendMicro features and have the same router as you do and no issues. It sounds like there is some sort of conflict. Try enabling TrendMicro first and then the other features one by one and you may be able to isolate it.

Good luck,

Morris

Hi Paul,

I use all the TrendMicro features and have the same router as you do and no issues. It sounds like there is some sort of conflict. Try enabling TrendMicro first and then the other features one by one and you may be able to isolate it.

Good luck,

Morris

That's actually what I did and found out that even just accepting the Trend Micro license/EULA (under Administration/Privacy), while the actual Trend Micro services are disabled, causes the "reboots". I know its really weird but I have tested it numerous times now with the same results. I actually found a user with a very similar issue on this thread:

Sporadic crashes in GT-AX11000 with Merlin 386.3_2 and 386.4 (TrendMicro license as the cause)

If it might help, my setup is as follows:
- Addons: diversion lite, dn-vnstat, connmon, spdMerlin, scMerlin
- 1x AX56u AiMesh node
- Enabled: Port Forwarding, 1x Guest Network, DDNS
- Disabled: UPnP, QoS, All Trend Micro Services, No VPN server/client
- Around 45 clients total wired & wireless, 1x USB Drive for amtm
- all other settings pretty much at default

I have so far tried the above settings thrice now and it doesn't cause reboots (with uptimes of 7-10 hours each test). In between the tests, I enabled TM features (even just the EULA) and it caused router reboots every time (under 1 to 1.5 hours each and every time).

Last edited:
That's actually what I did and found out that even just accepting the Trend Micro license/EULA (under Administration/Privacy), while the actual Trend Micro services are disabled, causes the "reboots"
I don't know how you've managed to do that (accepting the Trend Micro license). I also don't use any TM services therefore there's nothing to accept under Administration/Privacy, just the "ASUS NOTICE( for privacy )".

Untitled.png
(N.B. The "Withdraw" word isn't a link to anything.)

That's actually what I did and found out that even just accepting the Trend Micro license/EULA (under Administration/Privacy), while the actual Trend Micro services are disabled, causes the "reboots". I know its really weird but I have tested it numerous times now with the same results. I actually found a user with a very similar issue on this thread:

Sporadic crashes in GT-AX11000 with Merlin 386.3_2 and 386.4 (TrendMicro license as the cause)

If it might help, my setup is as follows:
- Addons: diversion lite, dn-vnstat, connmon, spdMerlin, scMerlin
- 1x AX56u AiMesh node
- Enabled: Port Forwarding, 1x Guest Network, DDNS
- Disabled: UPnP, QoS, All Trend Micro Services, No VPN server/client
- Around 45 clients total wired & wireless, 1x USB Drive for amtm
- all other settings pretty much at default

I have so far tried the above settings thrice now and it doesn't cause reboots (with uptimes of 7-10 hours each test). In between the tests, I enabled TM features (even just the EULA) and it caused router reboots every time (under 1 to 1.5 hours each and every time).

I used to run some add on services yet stopped as I found they complicated things more than they benefited or I moved the service off the router. I have used AiMesh yet am not at the moment. Think about how you can simplify the router setup.

Possible alternatives:
Diversion: AddGuard DNS
Use method 2

dn-vnstat, connmon: Nice to have, do you need it? Consider SNMP management

spdMerlin: Now built in and can be run from a host.

ScMerlin: Not needed if you can go without the others. The others do have there own consoles

AMTM: Not needed if you can go without the others

I thought the addons were great, they are nice features to have yet stability is more important

v 386.4 and 386.5 have been so stable it's boring

Morris

I don't know how you've managed to do that (accepting the Trend Micro license). I also don't use any TM services therefore there's nothing to accept under Administration/Privacy, just the "ASUS NOTICE( for privacy )".

View attachment 40238
(N.B. The "Withdraw" word isn't a link to anything.)

- Try enabling any of the Trend Micro features like AiProtection.
- It will then ask you to accept the TM license/EULA. Accept to enable the feature and it will reflect/show on the page on your screenshot.
- Disable AiProtection.
- Check the page on your screenshot and TM EULA is still accepted even when you have disabled all TrendMicro features.

in my case, reboot problem happens even if I disable all TM features as long as I have not withdrawn from the TM EULA (on the page on your screenshot).

P.S. TM EULA is found under the ASUS EULA, both of which have their own withdraw button as can be seen in the attached screenshot. I only have Asus EULA on the screenshot as I have TM EULA currently withdrawn.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2022-03-18 10-34-38.png
    Screenshot from 2022-03-18 10-34-38.png
    77.7 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
- Try enabling any of the Trend Micro features like AiProtection.
- It will then ask you to accept the TM license/EULA. Accept to enable the feature and it will reflect/show on the page on your screenshot.
- Disable AiProtection.
- Check the page on your screenshot and TM EULA is still accepted even when you have disabled all TrendMicro features.

in my case, reboot problem happens even if I disable all TM features as long as I have not withdrawn from the TM EULA (on the page on your screenshot).

P.S. TM EULA is found under the ASUS EULA, both of which have their own withdraw button as can be seen in the attached screenshot. I only have Asus EULA on the screenshot as I have TM EULA currently withdrawn.
Yes I understand how that works, but you said "just accepting the Trend Micro license/EULA (under Administration/Privacy), while the actual Trend Micro services are disabled" which reads as if you were going to Administration/Privacy to accept something. Now that you've explained that's not the case it makes more sense to me, as you had previously enabled/disabled one of the features.

I noticed today that my AX routers/nodes are not using 160Mhz width.
Before 386.5, I am pretty sure I was running 160Mhz fine. In fact, it was ChannelHog that started to let me know (thanks @Adamm ). I was running it on an AX58U wireless connected to an AX88U.

I have tried a few different 5Ghz Control Channels - 64 and now 149.

The wireless log shows DFS State: idle and Channel cleared for radar: none.

All 160Mhz capable devices (laptop with Intel AX200 and 2 AX58U mesh nodes as well as an AX58U Media server are at 80Mhz width. In Wireless->General, 160Mhz is enabled on the AX88U.
Pre 386.5, all were using 160Mhz width.

I wondered if there was some new radar installation in my area - so I decided to check a remote site that is in the Adirondack mountain area of NY State. Trust me, no radars near by!

There is an AX86U recently updated to 386.5. In checking that router - same thing - no 160Mhz. Its enabled but 80Mhz max.
Its Wireless log shows the same DFS State: idle and Channel cleared for radar: none.

So, question - is anyone running 386.5 with successful clients at 160Mhz? If so, what channel are you using?

I noticed today that my AX routers/nodes are not using 160Mhz width.
Before 386.5, I am pretty sure I was running 160Mhz fine. In fact, it was ChannelHog that started to let me know (thanks @Adamm ). I was running it on an AX58U wireless connected to an AX88U.

I have tried a few different 5Ghz Control Channels - 64 and now 149.

The wireless log shows DFS State: idle and Channel cleared for radar: none.

All 160Mhz capable devices (laptop with Intel AX200 and 2 AX58U mesh nodes as well as an AX58U Media server are at 80Mhz width. In Wireless->General, 160Mhz is enabled on the AX88U.
Pre 386.5, all were using 160Mhz width.

I wondered if there was some new radar installation in my area - so I decided to check a remote site that is in the Adirondack mountain area of NY State. Trust me, no radars near by!

There is an AX86U recently updated to 386.5. In checking that router - same thing - no 160Mhz. Its enabled but 80Mhz max.
Its Wireless log shows the same DFS State: idle and Channel cleared for radar: none.

So, question - is anyone running 386.5 with successful clients at 160Mhz? If so, what channel are you using?
i've also installed channelHog addon: daily check so that when it drops to 80 it get bumped up to 160 again

i've also installed channelHog addon: daily check so that when it drops to 80 it get bumped up to 160 again
Thanks, I will try 36.

Also, here are my settings for 5Ghz. I will change the Auto to 36. Look like what you are using (other than fixed 36?

5G.png

I just set it to 36 - thanks!
The AX58U's are now at 160Mhz, and Media Bridge at a much better Link rate.

wifi2.png

Back to turning on ChannelHog ;-)

Last edited:
Thanks, I will try 36.

Also, here are my settings for 5Ghz. I will change the Auto to 36. Look like what you are using (other than fixed 36?

View attachment 40258

I just set it to 36 - thanks!
The AX58U's are now at 160Mhz, and Media Bridge at a much better Link rate.

View attachment 40259

Back to turning on ChannelHog ;-)
i'm using Channel=36 , bandwidth=160.

Mar 19 11:50:05 kernel: bcm_mcast_mld_add:833 mc_fdb->rep_list ffffffc011d5e4e8 next ffffffc00c117960 prev ffffffc00c117960 rep_entry->list ffffffc00c117960 next ffffffc011d5e4e8 prev ffffffc011d5e4e8
Mar 19 11:50:34 kernel: httpd (1885): drop_caches: 1
any issue about this error? AC86U 386.5

There seems to be an issue with the Traditional QoS Upload/Download values on my RT-AC68U. Dirty flashed from 386.4.

I'm almost certain that only the Upload value is being used and is being applied to both the Upload and Download limits as my ookla speedtests with Traditional QoS enabled show both download and upload speeds are limited to what value I have entered in the Upload field.

Quick Q please, a few F/W versions ago there was an issue with Guest Network 1 and the advice was to use Guest Network 2, which I still do. Is this advice still unchanged in this current 386.5 FW? I was thinking to switch to Guest Network 1.

thanks!
k.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!