What's new

Beta Asuswrt-Merlin 386.6 beta is now available for select models

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@RMerlin In the future, do you plan to add ROG feature for the GT-AX6000 ?
Definitely not gonna add VPN Fusion, as that would conflict with VPN Director (which I consider a far more flexible solution). Every other real feature is already there: Netools, WiFI Radar and AuraRGB configuration are all implemented (and unlike stock firmware, they are available on all models, not just the ROG ones).

Doubt it for the UI visual style, I find it half unreadable due to its poor contrast.

and how long do you expect the GT-AX6000 to last ?
Impossible to predict, it's always dependant on Asus' own support since I rely on them providing updates to the closed source components.

Definitely not gonna add VPN Fusion, as that would conflict with VPN Director (which I consider a far more flexible solution). Every other real feature is already there: Netools, WiFI Radar and AuraRGB configuration are all implemented (and unlike stock firmware, they are available on all models, not just the ROG ones).

Doubt it for the UI visual style, I find it half unreadable due to its poor contrast.

Impossible to predict, it's always dependant on Asus' own support since I rely on them providing updates to the closed source components.
VPN Director is light years ahead of VPN fusion.

The GT-AX6000 Beta 2 firmware is working well for me. And I like the webadmin GUI a lot better. That white on red theme, with black thrown in here and there where someone thought it was cool, was marginally readable. Especially like the red on black parts. I guess that Asus thinks it's catering to those younger gamers that still have good eyes *smile*. Easier to get set up as a result of being more easily readable. And nice to get rid of all those largely unuseful gaming settings as well. Very happy to have the usable interface.

Thanks for your work on this one!

Last edited:
Can you explain how come it is light years ahead of VPN fusion?
How is the beta looking on GT-AX6000?
It is pure conjecture and only experiencable. For that, you must roll up your sleeves and get your hands dirty to find out. Otherwise, stay on stock and let us know how that goes. After all, I am not here to tell you why not to use stock, it is simply something you must experience and decide for your self.

Wanted to post an update -- still up and stable 36 hours in!

I did some more testing around this problem I encountered initially, and determined that this issue does not occur if my desktop is directly wired in to any of the ports on the router. It only happens if my desktop is wired in to a 5 port 2.5G un-managed switch that is attached to the 2.5G LAN port on the router. Perhaps my added switch is the source of trouble? When I'm stuck in this state, restarting the switch corrects the issue, no need to restart the router.
@ResidualEffect What brand/model switch are you using?

@ResidualEffect What brand/model switch are you using?

I have a QNAP QSW-1105-5T 5-Port unmanaged 2.5GbE switch which I've had for a bit over a year now. I previously had it connected to an RT-AX88U.

Having a 2.5gbit connection to my NAS has been super useful for my workflow so I have no regrets and it has been reliable except for this one issue triggered by DHCP changes. Luckily I don't change those settings often and I now know that a restart of the switch resolves the situation. I primarily picked this switch at the time because there weren't a lot of options at the price point I was looking for and it did not require active cooling (I don't get along well with tiny fans). These days there are a few more options for consumer grade 2.5gbe switches, so I'd definitely take a look at those too if I was buying one now.

But yeah, at this point the GT-AX6000 is all configured and everything is running smoothly. I'm almost at 5 days uptime since installing 386.6 beta2 and have no new issues to report. I'm quite happy with this router and happy to be able to fully utilize the internet connection speeds my ISP provides. One day Asus will release a router fully decked out with 2.5gbe ports, but for now this will do!

Plus my GT-AX6000 is glowing green. Glowing stuff is better right? My AX88U couldn't do that. :cool:

So, when my GT-AX6000 arrives will I need to make sure it doesn't color cycle in order that any near IR reds set off the motion sensors? 8)

It is pure conjecture and only experiencable. For that, you must roll up your sleeves and get your hands dirty to find out. Otherwise, stay on stock and let us know how that goes. After all, I am not here to tell you why not to use stock, it is simply something you must experience and decide for your self.

If someone says it is "light years ahead" I expect the person would be able to quantify/give examples of what are the numerous advantages.
I had a quick look at beta 1 and VPN Director, I don't see any "light years ahead" advantages myself - so I am just really curious of what I may be missing.

What does VPN director allow me do that VPN Fusion does not?

If someone says it is "light years ahead" I expect the person would be able to quantify/give examples of what are the numerous advantages.
I had a quick look at beta 1 and VPN Director, I don't see any "light years ahead" advantages myself - so I am just really curious of what I may be missing.

Hah in retrospect of your comment I only chose light years ahead because like with quantum physics, it is rather difficult to quantify the awesomeness. Afterall we are talking about light years! Though we have a good estimate of the number, it is anything but quantifiable.

Hah in retrospect of your comment I only chose light years ahead because like with quantum physics, it is rather difficult to quantify the awesomeness. Afterall we are talking about light years! Though we have a good estimate of the number, it is anything but quantifiable.
Well, quantum physics aside, are you (or anyone) able to present some clear advantages of VPN Director vs the VPN Fusion?

I suggest that you should look at the whole of Asus Merlin and not at VPN Director in isolation?

If you need fine control over the workings of your router and the ability to have add-ons and write your own scripts, etc... then Merlin is the firmware to go for.
Merlin included the VPN director as a fabulous mechanism to manage VPN connections (VPN Fusion came later in the stock firmware).
If you have no need for additional scripts and add-ons, then Asus Stock is perfectly good firmware and VPN Fusion should be sufficient and work as expected.

I agree that RMerlin is not going to go backwards and implement VPN Fusion as VPN Director does the job perfectly well.

I suggest that you should look at the whole of Asus Merlin and not at VPN Director in isolation?

If you need fine control over the workings of your router and the ability to have add-ons and write your own scripts, etc... then Merlin is the firmware to go for.
Merlin included the VPN director as a fabulous mechanism to manage VPN connections (VPN Fusion came later in the stock firmware).
If you have no need for additional scripts and add-ons, then Asus Stock is perfectly good firmware and VPN Fusion should be sufficient and work as expected.

I agree that RMerlin is not going to go backwards and implement VPN Fusion as VPN Director does the job perfectly well.
Thank you for the answer, appreciate "straight to the point" :)

I had a look at Beta 1 for a day but I was focusing on immediate benefits vs AsusWRT.
I found that additional scripts and addons are irrelevant to me, as I prefer to use my Synology NAS as a placeholder for things like Adguard Home etc.

I understand that VPN Director was first and is available on all supported Merlin routers unlike VPN Fusion only on ROG routers.
It looks like I will be staying with stock for the time being, as it is completely stable for me and offers all the functionality I need.

Thanks @RMerlin for the quick support of GT-AX6000, it is good to know that there is always another alternative to AsusWRT!

are you (or anyone) able to present some clear advantages of VPN Director vs the VPN Fusion?
  • Support for CIDRs (so subnets can be provided as source and/or destination)
  • Allows to also specify the destination IP/network, not just the source client.
  • Killswitch support

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!