What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 386.8 is now available for specific models

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

@ASSAD: Maybe you can use a minimum of punctuation for better understanding?

@Dedel66: I am sorry not good in it even English not too good.

Another question: If I turn off 5GHz wifi at masterrouter shouldn´t the meshclient "follow" and turn it off too?
My AX88U-client does not.

I don't know about wifi i use ethernet only for years i don't care about Wi-Fi for now because i disabled it and everything i care about is Ethernet i use only Ethernet by my asus router.

how to enable telnet in the router webui don't see it in Administration - System ?

Last edited:
@RMerlin how to enable telnet in the router webui don't see it in Administration - System ?
You would need to use SSH instead of telnet:
Adminitstration -> System (-TAB) -> Enable SSH

I did a dirty upgrade this morning and I seem to have some of the issues I've read in this thread.

I've run a check on the Wi-Fi using InSSIDer and it is reporting some odd things. Also, the temperature graph is not correctly matching all the reported temperatures.
Screenshot - 15_08_2022 , 14_08_00.jpg

Screenshot - 15_08_2022 , 14_12_41.jpg

Dirty update went well. No issues with mesh system so all is well. My only issue is with the temp graph. Scaling and the temp plot lines are not correct. I like other have seen the same thing. My temps that are shown outside the graph are correct. The graph part is not.

Graph issues.jpg

Temperature-tab is already reported in post #21

Telnet is already enabled (SSH Off, currently tested).
View attachment 43557
If your ISP opens up telnet to the WAN, then something is very wrong with their head...

Asuswrt-Merlin itself no longer has a telnet daemon, SSH is the only option. If an outside port scan shows telnet responding, then it`s not from your router.

If your ISP opens up telnet to the WAN, then something is very wrong with their head...

Asuswrt-Merlin itself no longer has a telnet daemon, SSH is the only option. If an outside port scan shows telnet responding, then it`s not from your router.
Disabled the "All Traffic over VPN" and then the Port shows up as closed, so its the VPN.

Asuswrt-Merlin itself no longer has a telnet daemon
Does this mean that you might consider removing the telnet client in busybox in the future? I know you've removed the telnet server, but the client lets the router remotely trigger many tasks in the lan (like raspberry pi), hope you don't.

OpenVPN should be able to reach around 250 Mbps on the GT-AXE16000.
Speed Test on RT-AX88U OpenVPN (NordVPN) looks good if you would call the Ookla test reliable.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220815-201033.png
    Screenshot_20220815-201033.png
    381.4 KB · Views: 75
Does this mean that you might consider removing the telnet client in busybox in the future? I know you've removed the telnet server, but the client lets the router remotely trigger many tasks in the lan (like raspberry pi), hope you don't.
I don`t intend to. Telnet still has its use as a client for troubleshooting purposes. For instance, I frequently troubleshoot SMTP and POP3 servers by using a telnet client.

Speed Test on RT-AX88U OpenVPN (NordVPN) looks good if you would call the Ookla test reliable.
That`s a bit higher than I would expect, the RT-AX88U CPU would give around 220 Mbps back in the day where I was benchmarking it. The GT-AXE16000 benefits from an extra 200 MHz.

So, 24h recap with 386.8.

The WiFi performerance is better- so better so I have to bind devices to the accurate nodes otherwise they are attached to the wrong ones (lower or upper floor nodes, instead of same floor node).

Same as beta, now at least the Bind function work (if Optimize not working- at least Bind).

One last thing, AX56U just REFUSES to be a part of this AiMesh system in 386.8.
Happened to me on Alpha/Better and did not find any solution.

Including a reset to all nodes in the network and re-pair, nothing helps (both on Wireless backhaul or Wired one)

Hope next release would bring me back my Ax56u haha...

Cheers.
Thank you @RMerlin

I would be interested to hear more about your experience with AXE16000 - do you have anything on the 10GbE ports? How is the speed?

Also very important for me - how is the speed on VPN?
I've got a 10gb switch connected to it that's running between my router in the den to the living room to connect my stream box/game consoles. I can't really test the 10g but the switch and router both say it's connected at 10g.

24h and so far, so good and the wifi issues I was having with my iPhone at the furthest point in my house with the AXE11000 have been resolved with the AXE16000. My iPhone had no problem with the 5300 but when I switched to the AXE11000 I'd get wifi connectivity issues in the morning (web pages would hang, apps would take a long time to load, etc). There's something funky with the house and certain times of the year where I get some sort of RF interference, including AM radio disruption (sun positioning?) and I didn't have this problem with the AC5300 but did with the AXE11000 and I was thinking the iPhone was probably able to properly connect on the low/high 5ghz band whereas the single 5ghz on the 11000 was getting jammed.

Now if i could just get Windows 10 to allow me to use the 6ghz band! I got an AX210 wifi card for my laptop but it's too old for Windows 11 :sob:

So i enabled the ssh in administration - system tab by lan only and after that used putty app entered the ip or host name for the router webui and choose ssh then clicked open and accept to trust it after entered the admin and the password for the router after that i entered these commands to force these ethernet 3 links the commands :

[10G-1]
Force link speed to 10Gbps:
Command: ethctl eth5 media-type 10000FD
Force link speed to 2.5Gbps:
Command: ethctl eth5 media-type 2500FD
Restore to auto negotiation:
Command: ethctl eth5 media-type auto

[10G-2]
Force link speed to 10Gbps:
Command: ethctl eth6 media-type 10000FD
Command: ethctl eth6 media-type 2500FD
Command: ethctl eth6 media-type auto

For the WAN
Command: ethctl eth0 media-type 2500FD
Command: ethctl eth0 media-type auto

It worked for me just for now i will report it if the problems come again now the only problem is the wireless lights i don't care about them but the Ethernets is critical for me and by the way the light for 10Gbps that i talked about before i noticed sometime i see it white and sometime i see it blue.

After these instruction i did i think it's all solved now.

I send these problems to ASUS and they send me these commands thanks to ASUS and @RMerlin and you guys for helping.

Maybe someone like me with these problems may see these instruction's and it may help him.

FINALLY IT MERLINED :D

Attachments

• Putty app.jpg
    Putty app.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 90
  • Putty.jpg
    Putty.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 88
  • Problem Solved for ethernet just for now.jpg
    Problem Solved for ethernet just for now.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Flash new firmware yesterday on AX88U. Only thing that I found out is graph with temp. not showing temperature right for 2.4 and 5Ghz sensor.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!