What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 386.8 is now available for specific models

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thanks L&LD...

Also, any way to troubleshoot the VPN Client 1? I have factory reset the router and setup from scratch. It seems I'm not able to setup my VPN client.

I have setup VPN Director, I also have setup Client1 (same way as my old router), however when I turn on the "Service state" my internet connects & quickly drops after a few seconds. Basically I have no internet and my connection keeps connecting for a a few & drops again.

The only way to get my intrrnet back if I quickly go into the VPN client1 (before it disconnects again) and hit the default button at bottom.

Any ideas?

Where would I go to reformat the jffs partition upon reboot? I no longer see the option?
admin_page.JPG

Here the option exists...

View attachment 43665

Here the option exists...
Thanks for the response. I'm not seeing it on my GT-AXE16000. Can anyone with the same router check this section to make sure I'm not crazy haha

I'm also cant setup OpenVPN without internet issues :(

I don't think anyone else is having issues with setting up Open VPN.

I never had issues setting up so I'm not sure what I might be doing wrong.

@Kingp1n, sorry I don't know where to start troubleshooting. I do not have any of the models this firmware supports.

So after 4 days, all is running well, including wireless where it seems to be the best performance since I have had this router (AX88U).
However, there is a minor 'bug': For the scMerlin script: the Temperatures do not display when using the Browser UI (yes I have cleared cache, rebooted, etc..). I believe it is limited to the UI as via amtm script access, it does display using the scMerlin 't' option. Now this is no biggie to me as you can get temps from other places. I just wanted to report it.

You're not crazy. That option isn't present for the XT12, GT-AX6000, GT-AXE16000 and GT-AX11000_Pro.
Oh wow...that's a bummer ....not a big deal but I will miss that option :(

I'm still having issues setting up my OpenVPN, I'm basically trying to setup as always....

1. Download the ovpn file from my VPN provider
2. Create VPN rules thru VPN Director
192.168.1.1 router goes thru WAN
192.168.1.0/24 all other traffic goes thru VPNClient1
3. Upload the open file in VPN Client1, make minor edits i.e. I add my username and password
4. Turn ON service state.
5. For a brief second it's shows I'm connected to the VPN...than my internet drops, after a few seconds it comes back on, but than it drops again and cycle continues
6. Once I hit the default option at bottom, my internet works again
7. Not sure how I can trouble shoot this. Maybe try another VPN provider to see if the error is with them.

You're not crazy. That option isn't present for the XT12, GT-AX6000, GT-AXE16000 and GT-AX11000_Pro.
These models don't use JFFS2, they use UBIFS for that partition, hence the option to format the JFFS2 partition is not there.

These models don't use JFFS2, they use UBIFS for that partition, hence the option to format the JFFS2 partition is not there.
Is it possible to wipe it via ssh?

Always possible. No guarantees though you'll get what you wished.

@RMerlin

Could this be causing my issue above with OpenVPN and using the old x3mRouting script? I will remove it and try setup again without it.

OK, but I see there's already code on that web page for ubifs_format which still has the title "Format JFFS partition at next boot", although it's not currently enabled. That led me to assume it was a work in progress. So are you saying there is no intention to enable this option?

Last edited:
Is it possible to wipe it via ssh?
I don't know. The previous JFFS2 wipe was code I had implemented in the rc daemon, similar code would need to be written specific to ubifs, and I'm not confident enough to start messing with flash partitions in this case and risk permanently bricking a router.

This option is of limited usefulness with these routers anyway, since a lot of the router configuration is now stored in that partition. Wiping that partition would cause you to lose all your DHCP reservations for instance, so you might as well do an actual factory default reset, and check the option next to it telling it to wipe everything.

Could this be causing my issue above with OpenVPN and using the old x3mRouting script? I will remove it and try setup again without it.
I have no idea what that script does or how it works, sorry.

OK, but I see there's already code on that web page for ubifs_format which still has the title "Format JFFS partition at next boot", although it's not currently enabled. That led me to assume it was a work in progress. So are you saying there is no intention to enable this option?
It`s just a placeholder I added at the time. With so much of the configuration now being stored in that partition, it makes little sense to implement it.

I'm still having issues setting up my OpenVPN, I'm basically trying to setup as always....

3. Upload the open file in VPN Client1, make minor edits i.e. I add my username and password
5. For a brief second it's shows I'm connected to the VPN...than my internet drops, after a few seconds it comes back on, but than it drops again and cycle continues
7. Not sure how I can trouble shoot this. Maybe try another VPN provider to see if the error is with them.
Can I ask why you are directing your router to go through WAN? Is this what is possibly breaking your VPN connection?

Last edited:

Not sure who your VPN provider is but I remember I have had similar issues (which remain to this day) with my AX88U. At least for XVPN it doesn't work outside of the box and requires some custom config parameters at the bottom. See this thread for details:

After 5 days with version 386.8 on my AX88U, everything is very stable.
No problems with LAN/WAN/WIFI/VPN.
Give us a break for the next version as there have been many in a short time.
Thanks again for your work.
Sans titre 1.png

View attachment 43678

He told it'd take a while.

View attachment 43678
There will be a break but also no one is forcing people to upgrade just because a new firmware is out that is your choice.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!