What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 386.8 is now available for specific models

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh wow...that's a bummer ....not a big deal but I will miss that option :(

I'm still having issues setting up my OpenVPN, I'm basically trying to setup as always....

1. Download the ovpn file from my VPN provider
2. Create VPN rules thru VPN Director
192.168.1.1 router goes thru WAN
192.168.1.0/24 all other traffic goes thru VPNClient1
3. Upload the open file in VPN Client1, make minor edits i.e. I add my username and password
4. Turn ON service state.
5. For a brief second it's shows I'm connected to the VPN...than my internet drops, after a few seconds it comes back on, but than it drops again and cycle continues
6. Once I hit the default option at bottom, my internet works again
7. Not sure how I can trouble shoot this. Maybe try another VPN provider to see if the error is with them.

First off, just looking at your VPN Director, make sure there are NO VPN Director rules in effect when making the connection to your VPN provider. Once you have connected to your VPN provider-the default state being the internet-please create VPN Director rule(s) by device that you want connected to the VPN and nothing else to include what you have been previously doing in VPN Director. This should prevent the WAN (Internet) cutouts for now and allow you to use the VPN just for selected devices. Just a suggestion of course-there are far more capable people here in the community who might be able to give you a more elegant solution.

I have an AX88u as my main router. It's used in conjunction with an AC68u (node) in Mesh mode. I've not yet installed the new AX88u 386.8 update as, as far as I'm aware, both routers have to have the same firmware installed for the Asus Mesh feature to work properly. Is this correct or can I have 386.8 installed on the AX88u and 386.7.2 installed on the AC68u? Will the 2 different firmware versions on the routers effect how Asus Mesh works?

Last edited:
I have an AX88u as my main router. It's used in conjunction with an AC68u (node) in Mesh mode. I've not yet installed the new AX88u 386.8 update as, as far as I'm aware, both routers have to have the same firmware installed for the Asus Mesh feature to work properly. Is this correct or can I have 386.8 installed on the AX88u and 386.7.2 installed on the AC68u? Will the 2 different firmware versions on the routers effect how Asus Mesh works?
I don't run ai mesh but from what i've seen recommended on this forum is you run Merlin on the main router and keep the nodes using Stock asus firmware.

These temperatures mean nothing. They depend on ambient temperature in the room and other factors. What is important is the difference between 386.7_2 and 386.8. Did you compared the CPU temperature between 386.7_2 and 386.8?
As I told above I do not see any difference between 386.7_2 and 386.8. Temperatures are the same.

Maybe you take a look at my signature, there you can see my current setup. It´s working without any problem.

As I told above I do not see any difference between 386.7_2 and 386.8. Temperatures are the same.
The question was not addressed to you as your router is H/W A1.1 while mine and the router of the person I asked are H/W A1.

If it helps, here are the temperatures of my AX88U router with firmware 386.8 (Hardware A1.1) with 23.1°C inside the room. The router is simply placed on a piece of furniture.
There is currently one 5 Ghz Wifi device connected and one on the LAN.
I have not had any temperature problems with Merlin firmwares so far.
Sans titre 1.png

The question was not addressed to you as your router is H/W A1.1 while mine and the router of the person I asked are H/W A1.
Maybe you address someone with a HW A1 directly by name?

As for the AiMesh using the AX88u with the 386.8 and my AC68U running Merlin's latest is not an issue for me. Both my routers are of the 1st generation hardware and the mesh network is performing well. For me the only issue is the temp graph mapping on the AX88U. I suspect that will be fixed during next update since it is a well-documented issue with the 386.8 release.

Hi @RMerlin could you or can anyone else please assist me with working out why IPv6 DDNS does not appear to work on my router when using the asuscomm.com service.

AFAIK IPV6 is working correctly (https://test-ipv6.com/index.html.en_US, https://ipv6-test.com/, etc report all is fine). My ISP is Sky in the UK (VDSL2 80/20) and IPv6 is configured as
1661194188072.png

If relevant
Sky uses DHCP Option 61 to validate the connection
DNS Filter is On and set to Router
DNS lookups for both IPv4 and IPv6 are routed via Unbound through my WireGuard VPN provider (AzireVPN)

If I set the DDNS IPv6 Update at No, then when I test with https://iplookup.asus.com/nslookup.php then I just get the WAN IPv4 address.

However if I change DDNS IPv6 Update to Yes, then I still just get the IPv4 address and the DDNS page now reports
1661194222676.png

Looking in the logs I can see the following being repeated

Code:
Aug 22 18:27:19 RT-AX88U-5050 watchdog: start ddns.
Aug 22 18:27:19 RT-AX88U-5050 rc_service: watchdog 1246:notify_rc start_ddns watchdog
Aug 22 18:27:19 RT-AX88U-5050 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/service-event (args: start ddns)
Aug 22 18:27:19 RT-AX88U-5050 ddns: eth0 has not yet obtained an WAN IPv6 address.(2)
Which suggests that the DDNS for IPv6 is looking for a WAN address on eth0, which is something I do not have.

Looking at ifconfig I can see that while br0 is showing a Global IPv6 address (inet6 addr: Scope:Global) , eth0 only has a local one (Scope:Link)

If anyone reading has the same (or similar) setup (386.8, asuscomm DDNS, Sky VDSL, IPv6), is the IPv6 DDNS working for you and if so how are your settings different from mine?

Other than the DDNS issue, 386.8 appears to be working fine.

Thank you, Archiel

Maybe you address someone with a HW A1 directly by name?
Yes, exactly. If you check my post again you may see the name of the person with HW A1, I quoted his/her post. That person is not you, definitely.

Last edited:
Yes, exactly. If you check my post again you may see the name of the person with HW A1, I quoted his/her post. That person is not you, definitely.
Thank you my dear teacher. You are the best!

Hi @Merlin,
I just bought ASUS GT-AXE16000 and loaded your latest firmware and all seem to work ok except the two issues below:
1. Unable to add AiMesh nodes using Ethernet backhaul connection. Its only finds the nodes in WiFi mesh mode.
I had to revert to Asus firmware to configure the AIMesh nodes with ethernet backhaul, then updated to Merlin build.
2. Unable to configure TimeMachine backup on the usb disk.
I get the error message: "The version of the server you are trying to connect to is not supported. Please contact your system administrator to resolve the problem"

Thanks for your great work!
Regards,

Hey guys. Sorry if this sounds like an abrupt lazy question, but I can't really figure something out:

My current config is 2 units of AX88u, wired backhaul for AIMesh. They're currently on firmware 386.5_2 and recently has had some issues where the WAN on the master node will just simply drop for no reason at irregular times (it could be a couple of days, a week or sometimes just several months), eventhough the fiber BTU modem is still connected.

I'm willing to give this 386.8 a try to see if it'll fix or alleviate the issue. So my question is, can I just do the "dirty" upgrade without having to factory reset over the current firmware after flashing?

Thank you in advance for any kind responses.

Hey guys. Sorry if this sounds like an abrupt lazy question, but I can't really figure something out:

My current config is 2 units of AX88u, wired backhaul for AIMesh. They're currently on firmware 386.5_2 and recently has had some issues where the WAN on the master node will just simply drop for no reason at irregular times (it could be a couple of days, a week or sometimes just several months), eventhough the fiber BTU modem is still connected.

I'm willing to give this 386.8 a try to see if it'll fix or alleviate the issue. So my question is, can I just do the "dirty" upgrade without having to factory reset over the current firmware after flashing?

Thank you in advance for any kind responses.
No Aimesh here, just stand alone router.
Did dirty upgrade, everything working just fine, no issues.:)

I've got a 10gb switch connected to it that's running between my router in the den to the living room to connect my stream box/game consoles. I can't really test the 10g but the switch and router both say it's connected at 10g.

24h and so far, so good and the wifi issues I was having with my iPhone at the furthest point in my house with the AXE11000 have been resolved with the AXE16000. My iPhone had no problem with the 5300 but when I switched to the AXE11000 I'd get wifi connectivity issues in the morning (web pages would hang, apps would take a long time to load, etc). There's something funky with the house and certain times of the year where I get some sort of RF interference, including AM radio disruption (sun positioning?) and I didn't have this problem with the AC5300 but did with the AXE11000 and I was thinking the iPhone was probably able to properly connect on the low/high 5ghz band whereas the single 5ghz on the 11000 was getting jammed.

Now if i could just get Windows 10 to allow me to use the 6ghz band! I got an AX210 wifi card for my laptop but it's too old for Windows 11 :sob:
Can check out this thread where RMerlin iperf-tested the AXE16000's 10G interfaces.

If it helps, here are the temperatures of my AX88U router with firmware 386.8 (Hardware A1.1) with 23.1°C inside the room. The router is simply placed on a piece of furniture.
There is currently one 5 Ghz Wifi device connected and one on the LAN.
I have not had any temperature problems with Merlin firmwares so far.
View attachment 43742
Here are mine. 24 degrees ambient room temp. Kinda high and I don't remember what they were on older firmware. I do live in the Middle East, though, where 50 degrees is normal outside during August.

1661267425211.png

I don't run ai mesh but from what i've seen recommended on this forum is you run Merlin on the main router and keep the nodes using Stock asus firmware.
I have an AC5300 on the older firmware and AI Mesh is fine.

As for the AiMesh using the AX88u with the 386.8 and my AC68U running Merlin's latest is not an issue for me. Both my routers are of the 1st generation hardware and the mesh network is performing well. For me the only issue is the temp graph mapping on the AX88U. I suspect that will be fixed during next update since it is a well-documented issue with the 386.8 release.
Hi @GHog,
Can you confirm which version you have on each please?
I have an AX88U running 386.7_2 and a AC68U running the same version.
Are you saying you have the AX88U on 386.8 and the AC68U on 386.7_2 running OK?
I have always upgraded them both to the same version up to now so a bit nervous of getting them out of step :)

Maybe I found an issue with guestnets 2 und 3 on 2.4 AND 5GHz:
Clients only get internetaccess when I enable INTRANETaccess. Could someone confirm please?

My IOT-devices on guestnet 1 are working perfectly.

My RT-AX88U is on 386.8 after some dirty updates. Maybe it's time for clean setup but maybe it's an real issue with the firmware 386.8 or before?
I never used guestnet 2/3 before so I could not realize if there was problem.

guestnet_all.JPG

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!