What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 386.8 is now available for specific models

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thank you RMerlin for this quick release!
I have done the update from scratch (I have been waiting too long with dirty upgrades ;)) and nothing important to report.

Just to remark that I have not been able to find the FW image in the Onedrive repository, only in SourceForge.

Although I know it is in the "to remove" list for RMerlin, I would like to point out that the temperature graph in "Administration" is not correct in the AX88U for the 2.4 and 5 GHz radios (the graph value is over the temperature number, probably a problem with the scale, as reported by other person in the forum). Note that it is OK for the CPU.

Captura de pantalla 2022-08-14 150825.jpg

For reference, it was OK in FW 386.5_2 (numbers and graph were in line).

Although I know it is in the "to remove" list for RMerlin, I would like to point out that the temperature graph in "Administration" is not correct in the AX88U for the 2.4 and 5 GHz radios (the graph value is over the temperature number, probably a problem with the scale, as reported by other person in the forum). Note that it is OK for the CPU.

For reference, it was OK in FW 386.5_2 (numbers and graph were in line).
In my case the Temp-Graphics and numbers are in line - see below...
Maybe the factory reset and manual reconfig during Beta1-Update did the trick, but I never saw issues like that before (on 386.x).

Temps_AX88U_2022-08-14.png

Last edited:
In my case the Temp-Graphics and numbers are in line - see below...
Maybe the factory reset and manuel reconfig during Beta1-Update did the trick, but I never saw issues like that before (on 386.x).

View attachment 43523
Your graph seems to show also a deviation: both wifi chips show the same temp and are well above 50 degrees.

It was more accurate in previous FW. By the way, I also did a hard reset after installing FW386.8.

Update went well, nothing negative to report.

@RMerlin FYI the new firmware files are missing on your OneDrive.

Currently had a peak on the log after 5 hours of running the 386.8, not a single error or warning in the logs, very stable :cool:
But still dont know about that 2.4GHz Bug wich i posted earlier :rolleyes:
@Mutzli didnt ever seen a stable build on onedrive, just alpha and @RMerlin has stable only on sourceforge if im correct, like at the post #1 stated ?

Last edited:
Dirty upgrade from 386.7_2
No issues here.

I don't have a supported model and so cannot tell but will this version have a direct support for wireguard within its UI?
No, that's not gonna happen before 388.x.

Wifi Radar still not showing up correctly, still a Asus issue ?
If there's any issue with Wifi radar, it's actually more of a Broadcom issue. Broadcom's Visualizer used for Wifi Radar is an add-on that they include in their SDK, and which they never seem to bother maintaining. It still doesn't properly support Wifi 6 or WPA3, not even in their newest 5.04 SDK. I'm only keeping it there because it "mostly" works. But at some point I might have to consider it abandonware by Broadcom, and remove it.

Any idea if/when the rt-ac68 will get 386.8 ?
No other models than the three listed models will be supported by 386.8.

Just to remark that I have not been able to find the FW image in the Onedrive repository, only in SourceForge.
Looks like Asustor's Onedrive sync applet is once again crashed, so the files never got synced between my NAS and the cloud. I'll have to restart it.

Pinned in Browser :)

No, that's not gonna happen before 388.x.

If there's any issue with Wifi radar, it's actually more of a Broadcom issue. Broadcom's Visualizer used for Wifi Radar is an add-on that they include in their SDK, and which they never seem to bother maintaining. It still doesn't properly support Wifi 6 or WPA3, not even in their newest 5.04 SDK. I'm only keeping it there because it "mostly" works. But at some point I might have to consider it abandonware by Broadcom, and remove it.

No other models than the three listed models will be supported by 386.8.
So maybe any recommendations on this, better waiting till 2024/2025 for Wifi 7 or updating to a GT-AXE11000 with WiFi 6E (not the GT-AX11000 Pro as stated in the highlights) ?
(The GT-AXE16000 has just Wifi 6 so no big improvement over my current Setup and waiting till 2024/2025 with Intel PCI-E 4.0/5.0 Cards when buying also a new PC may be better in my opinion).

All good here from 386.7_1-gcbedbbd5b0 -> 386.8 on RT-AX88U.

Upgrade RT-AX88U from V386.7_2 to V386.8 via dirty firmware upgrade. 40+ devices (includes gaming, streaming, downloads, many IOT devices, etc.) and all appears to be working for main AX88U. Still postponing adding RT-AX58U with V386.5 XXX into AiMesh 2.0, until Guest Network #01 issue is fixed, as Guest network is #01, and IOT devices is #02 currently in my setup.

Well, after a LOT of hustle, it works.
386.8 is here
Wifi is working, but "mobillizing" devices between nodes is hard mission- so I bind and force the devices to mobilize between nodes. that way it sticks
Now, 35 devices are back online.

AX88U-> AX88U (wireless backhaul)-> AX56U (wired backhaul).
AX56U is 386.7.2

I could not afford 2 versions back- back of the concern of any security patch that is may be missing.
Hope now for an easier road here and on

Ring is working and so is everything else.

Thank you @RMerlin

1660506773944.png

After updated to 386.8 FW i did hard reset wps method and see if the problems solved but they did not fixed maybe next firmware's will I'll wait for the next ones @RMerlin thank you for the hard work.

The strange thing is the 10Gbps before in 386.8 beta2 FW the light on the router was white now changed to blue that's just the only change that made in 386.8 FW i think for the problems i have before and i have disconnections like before.

Attachments

• Still did not fixed.jpg
    Still did not fixed.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 155
  • The lights still working for wireless.jpg
    The lights still working for wireless.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 151
Got lucky and managed to score one of the AXE16000's on Amazon (MSRP) on a refresh (2 in stock!). Spent the day installing and migrating from my AXE11000 after migrating from a 7 year old (God I'm old!) AC5300 (thought the AXE11000 would be my next long runner but missed the dual 5ghz)

Did a clean install of 386.8 and updated the configs (also shout out to Yaz for the DHCP - I've got about 25 manual DHCP entries and your add-on is a Godsend)

So far so good and no issues (except the rainbow Asus RGB isn't as fluid as the AXE11000s :( and homepod mini joining audio via siri still sux - but suprisingly gets further along! No shade on Merlin though, that's all THEIR fault! :D )

I did notice that the jumbo frames configuration on LAN is missing but I suspect that's intentional on these units?

Good job, Merlin - thanks for the effort!

After updated to 386.8 FW i did hard reset wps method and see if the problems solved but they did not fixed maybe next firmware's will I'll wait for the next ones @RMerlin thank you for the hard work.

The strange thing is the 10Gbps before in 386.8 beta2 FW the light on the router was white now changed to blue that's just the only change that made in 386.8 FW i think for the problems i have before and i have disconnections like before.

update: I noticed something new that sometime i am connected to internet but there's no internet i check in asus router network map page and the status to see these two routers zte mc7010 outdoor are connected to the internet or disconnected they are connected to the internet and i checked there webui page also but it appears they are connected to the internet to solve this i must reboot asus router not the primary and secondary one only asus router.

Last edited:
@ASSAD: Maybe you can use a minimum of punctuation for better understanding?

Another question: If I turn off 5GHz wifi at masterrouter shouldn´t the meshclient "follow" and turn it off too?
My AX88U-client does not.

Last edited:
Got lucky and managed to score one of the AXE16000's on Amazon (MSRP) on a refresh (2 in stock!). Spent the day installing and migrating from my AXE11000 after migrating from a 7 year old (God I'm old!) AC5300 (thought the AXE11000 would be my next long runner but missed the dual 5ghz)

Did a clean install of 386.8 and updated the configs (also shout out to Yaz for the DHCP - I've got about 25 manual DHCP entries and your add-on is a Godsend)

So far so good and no issues (except the rainbow Asus RGB isn't as fluid as the AXE11000s :( and homepod mini joining audio via siri still sux - but suprisingly gets further along! No shade on Merlin though, that's all THEIR fault! :D )

I did notice that the jumbo frames configuration on LAN is missing but I suspect that's intentional on these units?

Good job, Merlin - thanks for the effort!

I would be interested to hear more about your experience with AXE16000 - do you have anything on the 10GbE ports? How is the speed?

Also very important for me - how is the speed on VPN?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!