What's new

Beta Asuswrt-Merlin 386.9 beta is now available for AC models

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The one thing I don't like with this firmware is the release number - 6.9 is somewhat inappropriate. @RMerlin, make it 386.10 release. ;)

The one thing I don't like with this firmware is the release number - 6.9 is somewhat inappropriate. @RMerlin, make it 386.10 release. ;)
it's just your imagination running wild, I'm sure you wouldn't complain

Not sure why but on all 386 base firmware this router has serious OpenVPN speed degradation compared to 384 base firmware. I remember seeing 240-260Mbps on OpenVPN to local NordVPN servers when testing the last 384.18/19 releases and nothing above 160Mbps on any 386 firmware release. Is this OpenVPN version in 386 related? There is no OpenVPN speed changes on my firewall so it's not NordVPN servers related.

No. Remember Tech49 from Oblivion movie? He was an amateur. I'm about 40 positions better in electronics. :)

Ok, now flashed to latest 386.9_beta1 on RT-AC66U_B1 (via wired localhost and disabled VPN).

But, new warning after update: Your router is running low on free NVRAM

Maybe factory reset after final release(?). Is posible save config for fast settings after reset?

Attachments

• 2023-01-02 08 11 40.png
    2023-01-02 08 11 40.png
    8.1 KB · Views: 58
  • 2023-01-02 08 11 48.png
    2023-01-02 08 11 48.png
    10.8 KB · Views: 61
But, new warning after update: Your router is running low on free NVRAM

Maybe factory reset after final release(?). Is posible save config for fast settings after reset?
Had the low NVRAM message when updating to the 386.9 Alpha on a RT-AC68U, see this post. Did a hard factory reset and reconfigured from scratch. That message went away and didn't return when that router was dirty flashed to the 386.9 Beta. Here was RMerlin response to my post in the Alpha thread that explains why one may get that warning on the older AC routers:
Low nvram notification is nothing new, and is becoming increasingly common for that old model as it's running out of nvram space with every new firmware adding new nvram settings. It's part of why Asus is leaving it on the 386 branch most likely, as 388 probably adds even more nvram settings.

This 9 years old model is starting to show its age, with Asus having added lots of new features to it since its initial launch in 2013.

I might have to start considering removing some things from the RT-AC68U to save some nvram space. Reducing the number of OpenVPN clients would be such a thing, as each client consumes around 1 KB of nvram even while not in use.

Last edited:
Thanks for answer... for me, i will happy for only security/update software dependencies for 386.x branch

Not sure why but on all 386 base firmware this router has serious OpenVPN speed degradation compared to 384 base firmware. I remember seeing 240-260Mbps on OpenVPN to local NordVPN servers when testing the last 384.18/19 releases and nothing above 160Mbps on any 386 firmware release. Is this OpenVPN version in 386 related? There is no OpenVPN speed changes on my firewall so it's not NordVPN servers related.
Same here, on my pfsense unit i keep pushing higher transfers so not VPN related. I don't want to downgrade to check again

Save your settings, do a factory reset and restore. If no improvement reduce the number of DHCP reservations and custom client names. This router has 10KB NVRAM left after fresh start. If running out or NVRAM it will start losing settings and won't work properly anymore. You have to address the issue.

I don't want to downgrade

Not needed, 384 firmware is about 2-years old. It was just an observation. VPN performance is still good enough for a home router.

@Tech9 i disagree, it should not degrade in performance on a same decryption base. And the definition of a home router is weird. I don't know business grade (entry level) routers that have better performance then Asus routers with Merlin.

For the past two days, I have been running my network through one of my RT-AC86U with this Beta firmware loaded.

After loading the Beta, I did a full reset and setup everything manually, except for the YazDHCP entries.

I restored those from a YazDHCP backup.

I am running it in Dual WAN Load Balancing mode with a 1 to 1 load balance.

I have created routing rules to make sure my Plex server goes out my 100/100 fiber and receives traffic over the same fiber connection.

All other devices are utilizing the load balancing.

I am running Skynet, scribe, scMerlin, uiScribe, YazDHCP and AdGuard Home

So far, it has been running without any issues and I am still amazed how this "obsolete" model has better wifi coverage than anything else I have tried except the GT-AX6000. But to be honest, I think it is a very small difference.

Now to be clear, the TP-Link ER605, the 2 eero Pro and the FWB+ are still up and operational in case I need to fallback to that setup.

To switch back I only need to move 1 network cable, change the eero wifi SSID back to my network SSID and turn off the wifi radios on the RT-AC86U.

Another note, today I am dropping off the RT-AX86U and RT-AX86S at the UPS Store to return them to Amazon. :)

@Tech9 i disagree, it should not degrade in performance

I don't know what the reason is, but I see the difference in tests.

Whats the reason? sticking to the awesome AC86U :) I returned 3 AX86u's last year due to hardware issues/failures!!
For my network, they do not offer anything better than the AC86U. I liked the performance of the GT-AX6000 but as I mentioned in another post, it did not pass the WAF in looks.

She was not thrilled with a giant alien spider on it's back in plain sight. :)

She is OK with the AC86U so maybe when the AX86U Pro gets available and more reasonably priced, I may venture at trying it.

Open the browser console, and look for a Javascript error. What's the content of the line with the error?
Restarting the router fixed the info.

I've noticed this on other firmware releases as well, but with DoT enabled there are intermittent resolution delays up to few seconds. It works for the most part, but it's noticeable when happens. I've tried 3 different DNS services (Quad9, OpenDNS, Google) and it happens with all of them. The issue disappears completely with DoT disabled. Nothing in logs. Any known issues with Stubby lately?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!