What's new

Beta Asuswrt-Merlin 388.1 Beta is available for select models

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I promise this is the last post about IPv6 and HBO max slowness on start.

If you google "hbo max slow start IPv6" you will see that there are plenty of reports of HOB max logging slow. It does not mean it is not working. It just takes about 40-50 seconds to start the app and show when IPv6 is enabled. I will try to start over with the basic settings and see if it could be DoT but I don't think so.
I did a stopwatch test, Disney + takes 3sec. to load and a movie about 7sec. HOB max is slightly slower at 15sec to load and 20sec. to start a movie. The slowest is CNN, it takes 45sec to load and somewhere between 10 - 60 sec to start a live stream.

Beta-1 is running fine at the moment but I have 1 question: IPV6 traffic is still not routed through OVPN or Wireguard tunnel.
Did I do something wrong or is it (still?) not supported?
IPv6 not supported with VPN clients.
This ^ current status (of the VPN Client not routing the IPv6 traffic) is unchanged from all previous Merlin firmware releases. It has been covered in other threads before (including informative replies from @RMerlin ). There's several workaround options if needed, including: 1) Completely disable all WAN and LAN IPv6 2) Disable IPv6 only on a specific LAN Client device 3) Use a 3rd party VPN Client that fully supports IPv6, on any LAN Client device as/when it's required.

Since this first came to be common knowledge, option 3) works for me, every single time, without fails or DNS leaks, or any other associated problems.
I'm not on the beta-test-team on this firmware release, as my current Asus / Merlin setup is the best I've ever had (so far). I'll wait for the main release.

Last edited:
I installed betas 1&2 on my AX86U over the weekend. On both versions, I had the same Wi-Fi issue in that there was noticeable delay in loading anything (not visible on Ethernet).

It is almost like a massive ping before it would resolve and start loading data. Like 10-20 seconds of delay, a lot of times just getting an error loading pages in the browser.

I didn’t see anything funky in logs but had to revert back to latest stable as my family wasn’t pleased. Issue is gone on the stable version (386.7_2).

Since I haven’t seen others posting about this, my guess is it is one of the 3rd party add-ons I am using causing a conflict. Probably need to do a nuclear reset when the final 388.1 is released.

I installed betas 1&2 on my AX86U over the weekend. On both versions, I had the same Wi-Fi issue in that there was noticeable delay in loading anything (not visible on Ethernet).

It is almost like a massive ping before it would resolve and start loading data. Like 10-20 seconds of delay, a lot of times just getting an error loading pages in the browser.

I didn’t see anything funky in logs but had to revert back to latest stable as my family wasn’t pleased. Issue is gone on the stable version (386.7_2).

Since I haven’t seen others posting about this, my guess is it is one of the 3rd party add-ons I am using causing a conflict. Probably need to do a nuclear reset when the final 388.1 is released.

Saw similar behaviour.
I had no add-ons installed (XT12 no usb), did do a factory reset and re-configure and the problem persisted.
I went back to stock 386 version.

I have no idea what caused it.

I got the same problem for both beta 1 and 2

Any issues mixing AX-88U routers on 388 as main router and AC-3100 as mesh routers on 386?
Should not be. I have GT-AX6000 on Merlin 388.1_beta2 with a mixture of nodes on 388 code base (RT-AX86U and GT-AX6000) and 386 code base (RT-AX82U).

My internet dl speed seems to be cut down to around 80% with beta 2.

I have 100/100 and usually get around 94/94, now i get 94/80 (ul/dl), tried with aiprot and qos off but no difference.

Not sure if a bug or something else at fault. Under WAN/DDNS, DDNS Status is going inactive.

I'm using "WWW.ASUS.COM" as the server, updating IPV6 as well. Has gone inactive twice tonight, not sure if its the service or something else.

This keeps repeating in the logs - going to turn off (IPv6 Update) as a result and see if it clears up.
Nov 14 00:16:22 AX88-Office hostapd: eth7: STA cc:a7:c1:08:ea:2b WPA: group key handshake completed (RSN)
Nov 14 00:16:33 AX88-Office rc_service: dhcp6c 15654:notify_rc restart_ddns
Nov 14 00:16:33 AX88-Office custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/service-event (args: restart ddns)
Nov 14 00:16:33 AX88-Office ddns: IP address, server and hostname have not changed since the last update.

UPDATE: That did it! Wasn't a problem in the 386 family, or with 388 Alpha or first 388 Beta as far as I can tell.

Last edited:
@RMerlin I'm having some trouble getting DoT to work with the 388.1 betas but only with my dns-provider as far as I can tell, Quad9/Cloudflare etc seem to work. It used to work fine in 386.7. I have tried Dnsmasq and Stubby logging as you can see in the support thread at ControlD here:
ControlD Feedback

Any suggestions how I can troubleshoot this?

I'd think that folks with 3rd party addons, self-inflicted self-created scripts, etc should remove all of them while beta testing.
More often than not, the issue isn't something seen on stock Merlin firmware.
My AX86U is running fine. IPv6 enabled, DDNS enabled, static IPs assigned, ports (IPv4 IPv6) forwarded, DNSDirector doing it's job sending all to my piholes.

There are subforums for the addons, many devs don't support betas though. Ask yourself "Why would that be". If the devs aren't amenable to troubleshooting their addon in a beta, why would anyone else be interested in doing so?

I come to this thread to see if any real issues have arisen. Not to see HBO Max issues that aren't related nor to read all about this or that odd VPN setup that doesn't work the way you want it to.

I want to see if the stock standard firmware is working well and what things I should be aware of.

Is that too much to ask?

The GT-AX6000 is really impressive, compared to my previous AX86U/AX11000 wireguard (NordVPN) speeds improved from a sustained 400-430mbps to 700-750mbps.

I guess the new CPU is making the difference ?

nordwgrouter.png

Attachments

• nordwgrouterFR.png
    nordwgrouterFR.png
    752.4 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
388.1 Beta 2, Router is AX88U. When I go to Traffic Analyzer - Statistic, the GUI becomes unresponsive and after a minute or so I am logged out. I tried to toggle ON/OFF button on the same page, but with no sucess. Does this happen only to me?

388.1 Beta 2, Router is AX88U. When I go to Traffic Analyzer - Statistic, the GUI becomes unresponsive and after a minute or so I am logged out. I tried to toggle ON/OFF button on the same page, but with no sucess. Does this happen only to me?
Mine works as expected. You may need to reset to defaults to get it to work. Remember, don't import any settings files. Configure from screenshots with the exception of Wireguard and other VPN clients needing configuration files.

And they say that WireGuard is simpler than OpenVPN...
Well my VPN provider Torguard supports WireGuard as well and is very simple to set up, just download the config file for your country from their website and import it into WireGuard and done.
It is in fact more simple to set up than with OpenVpn.
So I guess it is depending how serious your VPN provider is taking it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!