What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 388.1 is now available for all supported Wifi 6 models

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi all!
Bundle AX86 + AX86S
On 388.1 The WEB interface shows that there is no cable connection, although everything works fine.
At the same time, everything looks OK in the WEB interface on Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388.21709.

Put stock Asus firmware on your node for now. It's a work around for this problem.

Hi all!
Bundle AX86 +
On 388.1 The WEB interface shows that there is no cable connection, although everything works fine.
At the same time, everything looks OK in the WEB interface on Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388.21709.

Just to clarify a few things...
#1) Does It stay this way, Even after clearing your Web-Browsers cache & doing a refresh/reload?
#2) When you set up your node... Did you (initially) plug it into the primary router via an ethernet cable, & then disconnect the node & relocate the AX86S afterwards?

Note: it has been my previous experience that whenever I attempted to use AiMesh on RMerlin firmwares the "purely-wireless" setup failed to initialize properly.
While an initial hardwired Ethernet connection during setup, followed up via disconnect & relocation of the node... would succeed.

Or just do as @skeal just mentioned above...

Last edited:
Does anyone know if the YazFi addon will continue to work with this updated base?

Just to clarify a few things...
#1) Does It stay this way, Even after clearing your Web-Browsers cache & doing a refresh/reload?
#2) When you set up your node... Did you (initially) plug it into the primary router via an ethernet cable, & then disconnect the node & relocate the AX86S afterwards?

Note: it has been my previous experience that whenever I attempted to use AiMesh on RMerlin firmwares the "purely-wireless" setup failed to initialize properly.
While an initial hardwired Ethernet connection during setup, followed up via disconnect & relocation of the node... would succeed.

Or just do as @skeal just mentioned above...

1. Yes
2. No, I'm connecting the Mesh node with a cable and leaving it on it.

I would like to remind you that as soon as I install the regular firmware from the Acs website, the display in the interface is correct.

Put stock Asus firmware on your node for now. It's a work around for this problem.
Exactly, you're right. But I'll stay on Merlin for now - because the interface error doesn't bother me much.

Dirty upgraded from Beta 4 last night flawlessly, so far so good. I did put the AX86 stock firmware on the mesh nodes during beta 4 to clean up the interface/confusion with AIMesh. I wish the wireless log on the router would encompass the mesh nodes to so I see if I was getting the 160Mhz/DFS on them. But can only speculate based on repeated Ookla tests while making sure I'm not connected to the main router. Since I can't validate 160Mhz, or don't know how with what I have available. I have to assume that based on similar results, that like the router, the mesh nodes are using 160Mhz/DFS as the results (taken many times, at different times) are similar / almost identical.

This differs from when I had Merlin on the mesh nodes, where there were different results between being connected to the routher vs. a mesh node. Like I said, I can't quantify it beyond that.

I just wish ASUS would expand the logging (Wireless) to include the mesh nodes so that I could. I would use WiFi Insight, but even after turning on data collection and letting it run for awhile. The 5Ghz Site Survey comes back with unable to perform scan (been doing that since before 388)...

Other than that, running flawlessly

1. Yes
2. No, I'm connecting the Mesh node with a cable and leaving it on it.

I would like to remind you that as soon as I install the regular firmware from the Acs website, the display in the interface is correct.

Exactly, you're right. But I'll stay on Merlin for now - because the interface error doesn't bother me much.
Sorry, I missed seeing your two RT-AX86U devices remained hardwired.
These details were indicated within the Graphic screenshots. (But I hadn't previously expanded the images)

Ok...got SPEED ISSUE when use WG VPN (not redirect traffic device)

I have 1 Gbps plan, and when I disable WG VPN - Got my full speed.
When enabling WG VPN - Got half of my full speed.

Use AX88U Router.

Another have same issue ? @RMerlin what do you think ?

Thanks,

Ok...got SPEED ISSUE when use WG VPN (not redirect traffic device)

I have 1 Gbps plan, and when I disable WG VPN - Got my full speed.
When enabling WG VPN - Got half of my full speed.

Use AX88U Router.

Another have same issue ? @RMerlin what do you think ?

Thanks,
This is expected as your processor isn't capable of offering those speeds while running Wireguard or OVPN for that matter. The tunnel is what causes the different download score.

That's a pretty good score through the tunnel though. ;)

Thanks for reply - but I have not seen anyone confirm that an RT-AX86U can be successfully used as AiMesh Node

Putting it in the change log is only part of it. It should also be included in @RMerlin first post of this thread.
I`m not going to keep track of the 15 x 15 (225) possible router combination to tell people what works and what doesn't. There are simply too many variables involved, and more than a few people who claimed initially that their specific setup didn`t work would come back later saying that it was now working following a reset. I devoted about two hours on one night to do at least a test setup to determine if the claim that "AiMesh cannot work when using an Asuswrt-Merlin node" was true, and my test showed that it wasn't the case. So I simply moved on to work on other things.

My stance with AiMesh has been the same since day one: it's unsupported, it's known to have issues, and you get what you get out of it. If it works, great. If it doesn't, since there's nothing I can do about it, then I'm not gonna waste time or lose sleep over it...

I'm using mesh connection using wifi, but am running Ethernet into my devices from the nodes. That an issue?

I'm using mesh connection using wifi, but am running Ethernet into my devices from the nodes. That an issue?
Shouldn't be a problem, it's like using them in Media Bridge mode.

Well, @RMerlin since you put almost 2 months about development, I think it would be fair to tell my AiMesh works great for 3 days in a row.
35 devices just sync and sing together ;)

So, once more, thanks for your hard work, have a great holidays season and happy NYE.
Glad I contributed back then, I believe its worth it.
See ya in January(?) For next course.

Did those log entries pop up after a reboot?

My next reboot was on stock Asuswrt. Repeat the same procedure (IPv6 Native enable) - no error logs. mastiff is not crashing on Asuswrt either. I don't know. Every time I ask what's going on I'm getting an answer just ignore it or no answer at all. UPnP is not working in double NAT again in 388.1:

1670369052155.png

How the guys with no bridge mode option will ignore this one?

One of my Wi-Fi test clients had trouble connecting in 388.1, but no issues in Asuswrt. I know - nothing Wi-Fi was changed. Wireless AiMesh node discovery AX86U to AC86U doesn't work as always. Works on first attempt in Asuswrt. I know - closed source and nothing changed. I'm good, move on.

This is expected as your processor isn't capable of offering those speeds while running Wireguard or OVPN for that matter. The tunnel is what causes the different download score.

For Openvpn I have my full speed.
So if is impacting bandwidth…for me need to back to Openvpn versus Wireguard…

For Openvpn I have my full speed.
So if is impacting bandwidth…for me need to back to Openvpn versus Wireguard…
This problem may be due to the following reason:
WireGuard
The biggest user-facing change is the introduction of WireGuard support as an alternative VPN protocol. This implementation is developped by Asus, the only changes made were to integrate it with VPN Director (which is Asuswrt-Merlin's alternative to VPN Fusion), and to integrate it into the web interface (as we don't use Asus' VPN Fusion management interface). Note that while supported, I don't intend to make any major changes to the WireGuard implementation, as my development focus will remain with OpenVPN. One important limitation to note is that WireGuard requires NAT acceleration to be disabled, which greatly reduces its usefulness on a router, as if you have a fast enough WAN connection to truly benefit from WireGuard performance, that performance ceiling will most likely cap at around 300-350 Mbps due to the lack of NAT acceleration for your router's traffic.

388.1 working flawless on my RT-AX3000 (RT-AX58U firmware) 24 hours after an (almost) dirty upgrade. I just unmounted the USB key and rebooted the router prior to upgrade.
As usual, thanks a lot to RMerlin and everyone involved!

On AX6000, since the upgrade, I got continuous 5G disconnects, network just disappears for a couple of mins, to come back later 2.4g works fine. Not happy.

On AX6000, since the upgrade, I got continuous 5G disconnects, network just disappears for a couple of mins, to come back later 2.4g works fine. Not happy.
Try to set or change channel on the 5Ghz (maybe give channel 48 a try and see if you get the same)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!