What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 388.1 is now available for all supported Wifi 6 models

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Good to be back. About 10 or so years ago I was running Merlin on my AC68U. After years with Netgear, a Google wifi pro, I've come back to Asus in no small part because of Merlin and this community.

Hoping that ET12 is supported soon. Thanks for all you do!

Jerry Loh says: Hi, not sure if it is okay to report here. I am running 388.1 on both routers, connected with LAN cable but it shows as disconnected actually it is working. Small bug to report here nothing big deal.

I am using the same firmware on both routers and have a hardwired backhaul connection. Not seeing the disconnect issue. Granted my node router is not my master and I do not use the RT-AX86u in my setup. If I select the "network" tab on the page, I still do not show connection issues message.

AiMesh.png

Attachments

• AiMesh.png
    AiMesh.png
    381 KB · Views: 34
Hi, not sure if it is okay to report here. I am running 388.1 on both router, connected with LAN cable but it show as disconnected actually it is working. Small bug to report here nothing big deal.
Same issue here. Seems like only a UI issue. No errors on the mobile app

Just to share my experience regarding WiFi issues on this release, in my case (single RT-AX86U, no mesh) everything works perfectly as long as I don't enable the 160 MHz for the 5 GHz band. In this case after some time (hours) my phone (Samsung S21) reports to be connected to the WiFi but Internet access is not available. If I force the WiFi reconnection on the phone everything works again. I have tested with all the combinations of DFS and fixed/auto channels but the result is the same. I haven't tested the 160 MHz with other firmware versions.
I have installed the latest official firmware, reset all the configurations, and I can confirm that this issue is present also on it. I will try to send a feedback with this bug report to ASUS.

Just for fun and as a possible seconday backup, I was playing around with Time Machine backups on the GT-AX6000. Is it working for anyone else? I'm getting the "There was a problem connecting to the server - The version of the server you are trying to connect to is not supported" error. I believe this was an issue previously that was fixed but not sure if it's the same issue this time.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/time-machine-does-not-work-in-386-4.77134/
Has anybody tried Time Machine backups yet?

I picked up a used GT-AXE11000 used for cheap :) I did a reset then flashed from stock 386.45940 to Asus version 388.21224 then another reset and then to Merlin 388.1 ROG skin version. Running great for the past 4 days.

I forgot to look when it was stock but the "Internet/WAN" and 2.5Gb ports are flip flopped on which one is active. I currently have it plugged into the 2.5Gb port but it shows the WAN port is connected:
Edit: Added 2nd Dual WAN picture
1672928142814.png
1672930010899.png

Last edited:
I picked up a used GT-AXE11000 used for cheap :) I did a reset then flashed from stock 386.45940 to Asus version 388.21224 then another reset and then to Merlin 388.1 ROG skin version. Running great for the past 4 days.

I forgot to look when it was stock but the "Internet/WAN" and 2.5Gb ports are flip flopped on which one is active. I currently have it plugged into the 2.5Gb port but it shows the WAN port is connected:
View attachment 46937

Dual Wan 01.05.2023.JPG
Wan Port 01.05.2023.JPG

ASUS just released GT-AX11000 Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388.22237

Will there be an updated Asuswrt-Merlin version too?

16 days in a row! Wooowooh!

Longest time in a long time, the WiFi is stable- everything is working.
Thank you for the firmware!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230106_022310_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230106_022310_Chrome.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 43
ASUS just released GT-AX11000 Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388.22237

Will there be an updated Asuswrt-Merlin version too?

No (at least, not expected). RMerlin needs the GPL source code drops to do his magic. And he doesn't do it, model, by model either.

Well, updated my main router to the GT-AX6000 beast after a delicious price drop on that thing that I could simply not refuse.

Got 388.1 (non-ROG skin) all setup and configured this afternoon (flash, full reset, manual config). Final restart of the network done just now. Been a while since I've had to manually configure my router... ugh. That was not fun, good thing I had screen grabs of everything before. Dynamic DNS, VPN Director, DNS Director, DHCP etc... all back up and running as before.

Devices and gear all happy - Nest, IOT, TP-Link, Google etc.... Will let it all settle in now. Family was accommodating of the outages thankfully.

1672968952399.png

Speedtest checks out nicely too... apart from that piddly upload. Thanks Rogers.

1672969062053.png

Once again, thank you @RMerlin and team.

Last edited:
The UI on my RT-AX86U stops responding until I reboot. I've scheduled a weekly reboot but still happens between then. I believe this started after updating. The router is being polled by a Home Assistant integration so that might have an impact but I've been using it for a couple years with no issues.

The UI on my RT-AX86U stops responding until I reboot. I've scheduled a weekly reboot but still happens between then. I believe this started after updating. The router is being polled by a Home Assistant integration so that might have an impact but I've been using it for a couple years with no issues.
I have AX86S and it runs out of memory and reboots every 5-7 days on 388.1. This could be what is happening to you. Issue/bug might be related to the networkmap process. Hope to get it fixed in 388.2

See this thread that might be helpful if it's same issue

I have AX86S and it runs out of memory and reboots every 5-7 days on 388.1. This could be what is happening to you. Issue/bug might be related to the networkmap process. Hope to get it fixed in 388.2

See this thread that might be helpful if it's same issue
Interesting read. Thanks for that!

Thanks @RMerlin for making such great firmware and really brings asus routers to its full potential.

I wanted to share my use experience hope it can help with the debug.

I've installed 388.1 ROG on two ROG Rapture GT AX11000, 2 different location.

Setup 1. new ROG GT AX11000 around 1 years old or less running 388.1 ROG merlin

AImesh: none

clients: around 10 clients connected.

no issue at all everything is fast and web GUI is fast.

setup 2. Old ROG GT AX11000 few years old might have had it since release. running 388.1 ROG merlin

Amish: 2x XT12 pro on latest offical firmware 3.0.0.4.388.22127

Clients: close to 50 clients

all the connection are stable, fast no drop outs.

The only problem with setup 2 is the web GUI. It is very slow when logging in. but after logging in the speed seems to be ok when changing settings as long as I don't click on the network map or the aimesh page. never had this problem before prior to the 388.1 ROG firmware.

Could it be the 2 GT ax11000 are using different hardware since their build dates are few years apart that's why the newer GT AX11000 router doesn't have any problem at all.

Or maybe just because the older GT AX11000 is handling too much clients that's why it's having this slow webGUI issue on this firmware 388.1 ROG merlin.

There are many more differences between setups 1 and 2. Those AiMesh-connected XT12s don't inspire confidence in me that it is (just) the GT-AX11000 that may be misbehaving.

Have you performed a full network reboot via the GUI; AiMesh, System Settings, System Reboot?

Have you performed a full power shutdown/electrical reset (pull the AC power plugs from both the routers and the wall plugs, and wait for as long as you can; minimum of 2 minutes (I would aim for 10 minutes or longer, including unplugging the ISP ONT/modem too for at least that long), leaving all the power switches 'on', before powering everything back up again)?

Have you turned off the XT12s and seen a difference in the Gui's responsiveness? If simply turning them off doesn't do anything, have you tried removing them from the AiMesh setup, to test?

Have you performed a full reset to factory defaults on the setup 2 GT-AX11000 lately?

After doing a full system reboot, wait for at least 10 to 15 minutes for the routers/network to fully settle down. Then, on the main router, create a backup config file. Disconnect everything from the main router, including USB devices and the WAN port connection to your ISP, and perform a full reset to factory defaults using the reset button, WPS button, or via the GUI. Better yet, do all three. In between, reflash the firmware that is already installed now.

Import the saved backup config file you created and re-associate the AiMesh nodes (XT12s). Test if the issue persists. If it does, I would redo the full reset to factory defaults, and then minimally and manually configure the router to secure it and connect to your ISP. Test. If satisfactory, add one node, test again. Continue building your network to where it was (manually, keeping good notes of your progress), until it is either fully working, or, it shows the same symptoms. If the latter, come back with those details and we may be able to help/diagnose further at that time.