What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 388.1 is now available for all supported Wifi 6 models

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Yes on my RT-AX86U nodes (the RT-AX88U main router was fine) with both your 388.1 firmware and also the most recent stock release 3.0.0.4.388.22068. I had 2.4Ghz IoT devices wouldn't use the AX86Us but were happy on the AX88U, however the worst issue was devices were getting disconnected frequently and bouncing between nodes.

Having been running for a number of hours it seems to be much better as I haven't seen any issues.
This sounds very promising, this was the major issue I was having before reverting back to 386.8 on the AX88 and 386.7_2 on the Mesh (1GbE wired backhaul) AX86's.

Because of it and the challenges with 388 and the AX86s. I've since rethought/reconfigured the router/nodes adding specifc 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz Guest networks for IoT devices (unique SSID's with intranet access in advance of adding a Matter hub and new Nest FW), set specific channels for both radios vs auto, tweaked the Smart Connect rule to get Laptops/Phones/ and other devices to 5Ghz vs 2.4Ghz on the non IoT WiFi network, disabled 802.1b on the nodes (didn't or doesn't carry over the setting from the router), set the WiFi on the Android Tablets monitoring the cameras to unmetered vs auto which has helped to keep them on and connected and raised the value for the group key rotation interval to a week. Still moving some of the remaining devices to the appropriate networks. At the point right now where I'm having the greatest stability ever. Even at bandwidth settings of 160Mhz on the 5Ghz and 40Mhz on the 2.4Ghz radios. So stable and non eventful in fact, that it's been boring not having to touch the router/nodes (much to the Wife's delight ;))

Even though I don't get a lot of interference from the neighbors, I have been monitoring WiFi using inSSIDer (running contiously for over a week looking at both frequencies) and have been amazed to discover the amount of cars driving by with 2.4Ghz and even 5Ghz WiFi AP's, at a high enough strength (even if for only a brief few seconds during the drive by) that I suspect with the problematic WiFi drivers, was partially contributing (conjecture) for some of the instability. The mesh node I was having the issue with the 5Ghz radio not coming up after the router listened for Radar and turned on 5Ghz spectrum, is the one closet to the street oddly enough. Never saw any of those (radios) using the built in WiFi Radar on the router even though the SSID/radio monitoring PC and router are 3ft from each other. Not to mention some air traffic related to military exercises in Miami the week I upgraded to 388.1 which may have been responsible for the 5Ghz channels randomly changing and dropping the 160Mhz bandwidth (from channels 36/160 to 44) because of Radar.

Looking forward to getting on the 388.x release again...

Can you elaborate? Were you having difficulties connecting with previous firmware releases?
No, there wasn't or I didn't notice to the point that I started to worry. All my home devices (about 20-30 pieces) worked as before.

I have two 2.4\5 guest networks with the same name (for a smart home device), a 2.4main network for one printer, and a 5 Hz main network for all other devices. The system is compatible with AX86u and AX86s in versions 388.1.

1675275919996.png

Last edited:
Not having wifi issues but this new firmware has a major memory leak. Flashed a clean install and went from 70% used to 89% used in just 12 hours. I made no changes what so ever in that 12 hours. I expect a crash later today.
No memory issues here. Went from 57% to 60% because I turned on Samba.

WIFI seems to be very stable. Clients that favored 2.4 GHZ now choose 5 GHZ.

No memory issues here. Went from 57% to 60% because I turned on Samba.

After looking at this further after work today i noticed Aiprotection was enabled and i did not enable it myself. After i disabled it memory went back down to 73%. I am going to factory reset again and make sure this is not enabled by default.

People who had wifi issues on their RT-AX86U, can you see if this test image of the stock firmware resolves the issues? It contains a fix related to wifi:

Make a backup of your settings before if you intend to switch back and forth between this stock firmware and my firmware, so you can easily revert back afterward.
Nearly 48 hours now and WiFi is performing very well on my RT-AX86U AiMesh nodes

Can you fix the stupid bug with AsusWRT where all the Ethernet plug settings disappear when in AP mode, despite still fully working when accessed through the URL (Advanced_WANPort_Content.asp)?

@merlin_user123 bug report: on AXE16000 there are a lot of gui bugs, especially when you try to disable the 6ghz channel, then for some reason it also disables 2,4ghz.
Another more anoying bug is that Guest wifi on 2,4 ghz doesnt work at all. (multiple reset tried) on both 388.1 firmwares

@merlin_user123 bug report: it would seem there's more going on. I just got my AXE16000, flashed Merlin 388.1, reset to factory defaults and then I went configuring the router. I hit a major problem, I cannot apply settings under the Professional tab of the Wireless settings. No matter what I do, I can click the Apply-button but nothing happens. I can apply settings on any other tab just fine, but not on the Professional tab. Just nothing happens at all.

To be sure, I also tried this in Edge instead of Firefox but that did not make a difference.

This leaves me unable to change any of the settings on the wireless Professional tab pages.

-- Edit: although I thought I had already rebooted to verify if it still wouldn't work, it seems I was mistaken and had not actually rebooted. After a reboot I can apply wireless settings on the Professional tab. Should the problem ever return I'll let you know.

Last edited:
People who had wifi issues on their RT-AX86U, can you see if this test image of the stock firmware resolves the issues? It contains a fix related to wifi:

Make a backup of your settings before if you intend to switch back and forth between this stock firmware and my firmware, so you can easily revert back afterward.

Thanks for this @RMerlin Very stable generally, and connections with my various wifi devices are rock solid.

Can you suggest what we would consider the next version of this test software (i.e. when we'd move to an updated ASUSWRT from this 3.0.0.4.388_22484 test version)?

Thank you,
Anton

Can you suggest what we would consider the next version of this test software
Can you rephrase that? I don't understand your question, sorry.

When I manually restart WAN, I see this error message. Is this a problem?
Code:
Feb  4 11:36:05 kernel: bcm63xx_nand ff801800.nand: unaligned buffer: ffffffc00708a7a2
AX86S

Can you rephrase that? I don't understand your question, sorry.
Sorry about that. I'm wondering what the firmware update path is from the test firmware. Is it ASUS's next stock firmware release after the current version 3.0.0.4.388.22068?

In other words, if we're running your firmware we normally update when your next release comes out. If I was running ASUS's stock 3.0.0.4.388.22068 I'd likely update when they put out an updated firmware. When running this stock 3.0.0.4.388_22484 (test firmware), where/what would the next update be?

Last edited:
This sounds very promising, this was the major issue I was having before reverting back to 386.8 on the AX88 and 386.7_2 on the Mesh (1GbE wired backhaul) AX86's.

...I've since rethought/reconfigured the router/nodes adding specifc 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz Guest networks for IoT devices (unique SSID's with intranet access in advance of adding a Matter hub and new Nest FW), set specific channels for both radios vs auto, tweaked the Smart Connect rule to get Laptops/Phones/ and other devices to 5Ghz vs 2.4Ghz on the non IoT WiFi network, disabled 802.1b on the nodes (didn't or doesn't carry over the setting from the router), set the WiFi on the Android Tablets monitoring the cameras to unmetered vs auto which has helped to keep them on and connected and raised the value for the group key rotation interval to a week. Still moving some of the remaining devices to the appropriate networks. At the point right now where I'm having the greatest stability ever. Even at bandwidth settings of 160Mhz on the 5Ghz and 40Mhz on the 2.4Ghz radios. So stable and non eventful in fact, that it's been boring not having to touch the router/nodes (much to the Wife's delight ;))

Even though I don't get a lot of interference from the neighbors, I have been monitoring WiFi using inSSIDer (running contiously for over a week looking at both frequencies) and have been amazed to discover the amount of cars driving by with 2.4Ghz and even 5Ghz WiFi AP's, at a high enough strength (even if for only a brief few seconds during the drive by) that I suspect with the problematic WiFi drivers, was partially contributing (conjecture) for some of the instability. The mesh node I was having the issue with the 5Ghz radio not coming up after the router listened for Radar and turned on 5Ghz spectrum, is the one closet to the street oddly enough. Never saw any of those (radios) using the built in WiFi Radar on the router even though the SSID/radio monitoring PC and router are 3ft from each other. Not to mention some air traffic related to military exercises in Miami the week I upgraded to 388.1 which may have been responsible for the 5Ghz channels randomly changing and dropping the 160Mhz bandwidth (from channels 36/160 to 44) because of Radar.

Looking forward to getting on the 388.x release again...
WOW! Nice PD! TY for posting! I concur. Many steps, you listed above create both stable main and IOT network! I separated my IOT devices about 2 years ago b/c many IOT devices only use the older 2.4GHz bands. I waterfalled the rock-solid RT-AC68U into IOT ONLY WAPs and upgraded to RT-AX86U for mains. I hear very few complaints now about "the network...." The above approach delivered a very stable setup for iPhones, PCs, MACs, IOT devices,

a) Separate the IOT devices and place them on their own SSID and/or separate IOT only WAPs with distinct "IOT-xx" networks.
b) Increase the key rotations and other timeouts (see e)
c) Scan and then disable auto channel hopping while locking in the the least crowded 2.4/5GHz frequency bands. It'smostly 2.4GHz bands round these parts that the neighbors have.
d) I _NEVER_ considered the impacts of the portable mobile (AUTO) Wi-Fi units driving by until your posting. In certain areas, that seems like it could be very problematic if the strengths are high enough. I'd thought maybe there's a hysteresis value to where "Auto" might wait before hopping... IDK b/c I've always scanned and locked.
e) I also assign fixed IPs to most devices which can be a pain. I'm still "old school" on that idea.
f) Also if you have combo security RF-based or combo motion sensors in your home, some of these operate on the 2.4GHz band... I replaced one set b/c of that - just to take'm outta the interference ranges.

Very interesting post. Again, TY!

Sorry about that. I'm wondering what the firmware update path is from the test firmware. Is it ASUS's next stock firmware release after the current version 3.0.0.4.388.22068?
I'll be working with Asus to ensure that the fix present in that test build will also be included in the next GPL they provide me. So, 388.2 should contain the same fix.

When running this stock 3.0.0.4.388_22484 (test firmware), where/what would the next update be?
If you usually run my firmware, then 388.2. If you run stock firmware, I don`t know which future stock firmware update will contain the same fix.

I'll be working with Asus to ensure that the fix present in that test build will also be included in the next GPL they provide me. So, 388.2 should contain the same fix.

If you usually run my firmware, then 388.2. If you run stock firmware, I don`t know which future stock firmware update will contain the same fix.

Thanks Rmerlin, appreciated.

Anton

Question for anyone, on the new GT-AX11000 Pro running this 388.1 fw, should it show an option for GeForce now QoS option? Mine doesn't currently show this option so just making sure if this is normal.

After installing this FW version in my AX88U I am facing an issue in the client list of the network map that did not occur me before (apart from that, it is working well so far): the client list view does not refresh (even pressing the refresh button, the moving circle does not appear), and when you press view list, all the data shown is also frozen (not updating), including the Tx and Rx Rate and connection time.

I have read here that network map has not worked well from ages (although it was fine for me in the past, without any issues in any of the previous FW) and that it is closed source, but I would like to know if there is a way to re-start this service without re-booting the router (after a reboot it works ... for some days, until it freezes again ..) just without disturbing the internet use of people at home.

The client list in Aimesh page seems to be updating and the wireless log also refreshes :( ...

Or maybe is it possible to be a corrupted database?
Any help or hint is welcomed.

Last edited:
After installing this FW version in my AX88U I am facing an issue in the client list of the network map that did not occur me before (apart from that, it is working well so far): the client list view does not refresh (even pressing the refresh button, the moving circle does not appear), and when you press view list, all the data shown is also frozen (not updating), including the Tx and Rx Rate and connection time.

I have read here that network map has not worked well from ages (although it was fine for me in the past, without any issues in any of the previous FW) and that it is closed source, but I would like to know if there is a way to re-start this service without re-booting the router (after a reboot it works ... for some days, until it freezes again ..) just without disturbing the internet use of people at home.

Or maybe is it possible to be a corrupted database?
Any help or hint is welcomed.
I can't replicate this, mine is refreshing every few seconds. Did you do a factory reset after the install? If you did there is clearly a difference in your settings or any scripts you may have installed. Running mesh or not? Have you tried a different browser?

I can't replicate this, mine is refreshing every few seconds. Did you do a factory reset after the install? If you did there is clearly a difference in your settings or any scripts you may have installed. Running mesh or not? Have you tried a different browser?
Thank you for your quick answer. I am not running any script nor any other router in mesh. If a remember well, I did a dirty update, but everything was working well (even the client list). In the past, it worked well, pressing the button refresh had a circle turning and refreshing the list after a couple of seconds, and in view list, the data refreshed every two or three seconds, but now, after some days it freezes again.

Rebooting the router makes the list operative and refreshing again, but my family does not give me the necessary permission :confused: ...

I am not running any script nor any other router in mesh. If a remember well, I did a dirty update, but everything was working well
Everything appeared to be running well. Going from 386 to 388 is definitely worth a factory reset and manual config - that's my experience.

Everything appeared to be running well. Going from 386 to 388 is definitely worth a factory reset and manual config - that's my experience.
I usually do it, but I have a lot of data to be entered (specially the DHCP reservations), so from time to time I only do a dirty update. Anyway, I will probably wait until the next FW, because apart from that glitch, it is working well.

I have rebooted just know (I have all people outside home ;)) and it works well again. If some one knows how to restart this service without rebooting, it would be good for now ...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!