What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 388.1 is now available for all supported Wifi 6 models

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dear,
I have a mesh with AX68U as main and 2 AC68U, one of them connected through WiFi.
Do you suggest to update the AX68U to this new relase or stay with the old one to maintain the same version on all routers in the Mesh?

Thanks.

AX88U main router with Merlin and aimesh node it is recommended to install Rmerlin or official version

I assume clients would need to reconnect, unless the Wifi standard supports some method of instructing a client that the channel (and therefore the radio frequency) will change. However Wifi (the RF portion of it) isn't my area of expertise, so I'm not sure. I always used fixed channels with all of my routers.

Usually if the channel needs to change, there will be log entries from the acsd daemon saying so.

There is an optional feature for an AP to instruct a client to connect to a different AP. It can be used to inform clients that the channel is changing and another optional feature will permit a quick reauthentication. These features were invented for controller based multi AP networks which are somewhat similar to consumer mesh networks. I don't know if Asus implements any of this.

There is an optional feature for an AP to instruct a client to connect to a different AP. It can be used to inform clients that the channel is changing and another optional feature will permit a quick reauthentication. These features were invented for controller based multi AP networks which are somewhat similar to consumer mesh networks. I don't know if Asus implements any of this.
That`s for a handsoff tho, not for an AP changing channel.

Am I understanding correctly that those with WiFi disconnect/drop issues are:
Using AIMesh​
Using 160​
That would certainly explain my very different results (no issues).

I had drop/disconnect issues on 5GHz.
I disabled 160 in gui - all perfect since then on my GT-AXE11000

Last edited:
I'm one of those affected by the WiFi issue. My setup: RT-AX86U (388.1) and an RT-AC86U (386.7_2) AiMesh mode (ethernet backhaul), gigabit fibre connection. I have 40 devices connected, 32 on WiFi, 8 on ethernet. At my home there is zero wifi congestion, neighbours are not in range of my home. So I can use whatever channels I like. This is what I have observed and how I fixed the issue in my setup.

My test case to reproduce issue:

1. set both 2.4ghz and 5ghz WiFi to use control channel AUTO
2. stream a Eufy Indoorcam using 2.4ghz and stream to an Apple TV on 5ghz. Between 5-15 minutes after streaming both devices lose connection.
3. also observe a lot of log spam of clients disassociating

My fix:

1. set 2.4ghz to control channel 1 and 5ghz to control channel 157 (actual control channel doesn't seem to matter, as long as it's not AUTO)
2. stream a Eufy Indoorcam using 2.4ghz and stream to an Apple TV on 5ghz.
3. observe no loss of connection, no log spam of clients disassociating

Other observations: affects both 2.4 and 5ghz. Smartconnect and 160 MHz were both left on and didn't affect the results either way.

So from my limited tested, it appears there is some issue with auto control channel selection on BOTH 2.4 and 5ghz. I did notice the control channel seemed to change often on both 2.4 and 5ghz.. completely unnecessarily as there are no competing wifi networks in my home.

Am I understanding correctly that those with WiFi disconnect/drop issues are:
Using AIMesh​
Using 160​
That would certainly explain my very different results (no issues).
I don’t use 160 and have still drops in 2.4ghz and 5ghz. Chanel set to 6 and on 5ghz to 100.
it worked yesterday for some time after reinstallation of node and setting fixed channel but still have problems with network.
My IoT devices loose connection, eg Netatmo, sockets, lamps etc.
on 5ghz my work computer gots disconnects and vpn is reathenticating from time to time

next thing I will try is clean reinstallation of router..

Just for information for all who has got problems with 5GHz wlan here are my settings:

settings_general_5_0_maskiert.jpg

settings_prof_5_0.JPG

When a 160MHz device connects, the router and node switch to 160MHz. If this device goes offline, the router and the node switch back to 80 MHz.

My settings for 2.4 GHz:

settings_general_2_4_maskiert.JPG

settings_prof_2_4.JPG

I`ve got about 20 IOT devices at 2.4 GHz Guestnet 1 with no access to intranet working without any issues.

Maybe this will help someone for troubleshooting. GOOD LUCK!

Last edited:
I have an Asus RT-AX86s but also have Wi-Fi dropout's and hangups. Reverting to the previous firmware.
On RT-AX86S I can report the same. From what I saw the router was rebooting after 8 to 12 hours. If there is anything I can investigate please let me know. In the meantime I reverted to previous release.

Last edited:
@RMerlin, first, huge thanks for the 388.1 release from a long-term fan!

Second, I think I found a 388.1-specific bug and would like to report it. The bug is likely due to the STP implementation changes between 386.7_2 and 388.1. My setup is that I have one computer with two wifi interfaces connected to GT-AXE11000: one on 6Ghz and one (external Asus USB-AC68) on 5Ghz. With 386.7_2, all is working fine, the connection is rock-solid. With 388.1, despite STP still being enabled, every 10 seconds, Asus USB-AC68 disconnects, with the following in the logs:

Dec 13 09:32:33 router hostapd: eth7: STA xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx IEEE 802.11: disassociated
Dec 13 09:32:33 router hostapd: eth7: STA xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx IEEE 802.11: disassociated
Dec 13 09:32:33 router kernel: br0: received packet on eth7 with own address as source address
Dec 13 09:32:33 router hostapd: eth7: STA xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx IEEE 802.11: associated
Dec 13 09:32:33 router hostapd: eth7: STA xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx RADIUS: starting accounting session 99839B105116A1CD
Dec 13 09:32:33 router hostapd: eth7: STA xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx WPA: pairwise key handshake completed (RSN)
Dec 13 09:32:43 router hostapd: eth7: STA xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx IEEE 802.11: disassociated
Dec 13 09:32:43 router hostapd: eth7: STA xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx IEEE 802.11: disassociated
Dec 13 09:32:43 router kernel: br0: received packet on eth7 with own address as source address
Dec 13 09:32:43 router hostapd: eth7: STA xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx IEEE 802.11: associated
Dec 13 09:32:43 router hostapd: eth7: STA xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx RADIUS: starting accounting session 8F66AAA9CE94612B
Dec 13 09:32:43 router hostapd: eth7: STA xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx WPA: pairwise key handshake completed (RSN)
Dec 13 09:32:53 router hostapd: eth7: STA xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx IEEE 802.11: disassociated
Dec 13 09:32:53 router hostapd: eth7: STA xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx IEEE 802.11: disassociated
Dec 13 09:32:54 router kernel: br0: received packet on eth7 with own address as source address
Dec 13 09:32:54 router hostapd: eth7: STA xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx IEEE 802.11: associated
Dec 13 09:32:54 router hostapd: eth7: STA xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx RADIUS: starting accounting session 011BC9728AC1C503
Dec 13 09:32:54 router hostapd: eth7: STA xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx WPA: pairwise key handshake completed (RSN)

Disconnecting Asus USB-AC68, obviously, fixes the issues, and the "br0: received packet on eth7 with own address as source address" isn't repeating every 10 seconds, but I've seen it once, related to another disconnect of a different device.

I'm not sure whether similar messages have been there with 386.7_2, but I _am_ sure that this exact setup worked rock-solid on Merlin's 386.7_2 version of AsusWRT.

Last edited:
I just downloaded the Merlin 388 final but it gives me that weird Verizon fios slow upload problem that is now fixed in the official Asus firmware.. switched back to the Asus 388 firmware and the issue is fixed so that lets me know that some of the Asus fixes are not in the Merlin firmware.. My only issue now that the official Asus 388 firmware broke was the alimesh connection to my GT AXE-11000. no roaming devices will connect to it even in close range.

I just downloaded the Merlin 388 final but it gives me that weird Verizon fios slow upload problem that is now fixed in the official Asus firmware.. switched back to the Asus 388 firmware and the issue is fixed so that lets me know that some of the Asus fixes are not in the Merlin firmware.. My only issue now that the official Asus 388 firmware broke was the alimesh connection to my GT AXE-11000. no roaming devices will connect to it even in close range.

First I would reset nodes and reconnect them to "mainrouter".

If it´s not working, you´ll probaly have to reset mainrouter to factory and start from scratch.

yea that
First I would reset nodes and reconnect them to "mainrouter".

If it´s not working, you´ll probaly have to reset mainrouter to factory and start from scratch.
Thanks for your response but yea I already tried that approach. Kinda mad I had to set up all my settings and everything again but still the same problem. Kinda glad they fixed the 2.5/1 gig port connection issue with fios but now since that update the alimesh portion is just the only problem

How do you connect your node?

Could this be the reason?
I'm not the adjudicator :) and some effected thread respondents haven't got a device specified in their forum signature, but... the variable you've posted might well fall under the generic that I used "...Different Router and ISP provision setups / settings, as opposed to being directly related, purely, to a firmware bug?..." One obvious question (to any that are effected, that fall into that category) might be; Did they try the equivalent stock release & what happened?