What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 388.1 is now available for all supported Wifi 6 models

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Rolled back to 386.8 on the AX88 and 386.7_2 on the AX86 AiMesh nodes. Just couldn't continue the fight with the WiFi issues on both radios, the UI (for which I used ASUS firmware on the mesh nodes). The issues with the 5Ghz radio not coming up, the disconnects, the problems with the 160Mhz/DFS, and other minor irregularities just made it to difficult to continue on 388.1. My last step to get beck to normal is reset and build the AX88 from scratch just to start from a clean slate and work on an issue with syslog-ng on the AX86s that are forwarding their logs to the AX88 (got to search the forum on how to solve).

Since rolling back, the issues I've had with WiFi connectivity have all but disappeared. The cameras and tablets that monitor them have been online and have even reconnected after a reboot for over 3 days. Some of that is due to rolling back but a lot of that is also many of the reccomendations on stability, namely picking channels for both radios instead of auto that have come from this forum. With the ASUS firmware on the nodes I did achive some stability to the extent I wasn't contant restarting the Nest Cams or the Tablets, but even with that I had to roll back to a prior release to fix issues that it introduced.

Every cloud has a silver lining, learned much on making the network much more stable and while I'm off 388 for now. The experience proved fruitful in the end and for that I'm grateful.

Rolled back to 386.8 on the AX88 and 386.7_2 on the AX86 AiMesh nodes. Just couldn't continue the fight with the WiFi issues on both radios, the UI (for which I used ASUS firmware on the mesh nodes). The issues with the 5Ghz radio not coming up, the disconnects, the problems with the 160Mhz/DFS, and other minor irregularities just made it to difficult to continue on 388.1. My last step to get beck to normal is reset and build the AX88 from scratch just to start from a clean slate and work on an issue with syslog-ng on the AX86s that are forwarding their logs to the AX88 (got to search the forum on how to solve).

Since rolling back, the issues I've had with WiFi connectivity have all but disappeared. The cameras and tablets that monitor them have been online and have even reconnected after a reboot for over 3 days. Some of that is due to rolling back but a lot of that is also many of the reccomendations on stability, namely picking channels for both radios instead of auto that have come from this forum. With the ASUS firmware on the nodes I did achive some stability to the extent I wasn't contant restarting the Nest Cams or the Tablets, but even with that I had to roll back to a prior release to fix issues that it introduced.

Every cloud has a silver lining, learned much on making the network much more stable and while I'm off 388 for now. The experience proved fruitful in the end and for that I'm grateful.
Same for me - tired of fighting the new firmware. So for my GT-AXE11000 (in AC mode) went back to 386.7.2

Its good to have stability again and devices not randomly dropping off.

I will try the next version when available. Hopefully Asus will work through the issues and it will be much more stable.

Last edited:
Memory leak or normal RAM usage?

RT-AX3000, 388.1, very basic network with only a couple devices on 2.4 and 5; On day 18 now with no errors but curious about the CPU usage. After the dirty update, the router settled at 51% and has slowly increased about 1% every day with it being at 65% this morning. This is the highest it has ever been in all of the previous firmware and was wondering if it will eventually come back down without a reboot. I realize even at 65%, that's still much lower than many other users here. Oh, I did enable OVPN around day 10 but the 1% average was still occurring before that so am discounting the VPN causing it. I do have the WAN DNS set to Quad9 using DoT and thought there was previous post about that possibly causing it. Thanks.

has slowly increased about 1% every day with it being at 65% this morning
In general, don’t worry about it. Run this command once a day and see how the memory columns change day to day if you suspect a leak.
Code:
top -mbn 1
If it’s mostly the cache number at top of the output increasing, nothing to worry about.

Rolled back to 386.8 on the AX88
Same here, sorry but to many drop outs and Iot- DHCP problems.
Will def. try a next beta with (hopefully) newer AX88U GPL..

Same here, sorry but to many drop outs and Iot- DHCP problems.
Will def. try a next beta with (hopefully) newer AX88U GPL..
I'm thinking of rolling back too. Did you rollback without reset?

I’ve never used AiMesh, I have an AX88U, and just ordered a AX58U for the node. The AX88U has 388.1 and I was going to install 388.1 on the AX58U as well. Do you recommend rolling back on these routers before I start setting them up?

My info may be outdated today, but that exact setup is what made me get rid of the RT-AX58U a few years ago.

Using the RT-AX86U as the main router only made the network (overall) worse, when using the RT-AX58U too.

A much better match is the RT-AX68U instead.

And a wired backhaul is always recommended (and will transform your network), regardless of which model you use as an AiMesh node.

I have a RT-AX86U as main and two RT-AX58U as nodes, all running 388.1. Fixed channel on both 5MHz and 2.4MHz. Both nodes are wireless. I have activated AX mode/160MHz and it is working. We are streaming movies every evening, I'm working from home every day. Everything works perfect without a glitch. Dirty upgrade from 386.7_2 when 388.1 was released. None of my devices use random MAC.

I’ve never used AiMesh, I have an AX88U, and just ordered a AX58U for the node. The AX88U has 388.1 and I was going to install 388.1 on the AX58U as well. Do you recommend rolling back on these routers before I start setting them up?
Can't say one way or another, the issues with the 388.1/AX86u that permeate this thread may or may not be part of my issue overall but certainly play a big part. You'll see many recomendations about picking specific channels for WiFi, that has certainly helped. Certainly reccommend wired backhaul to get the most out of AiMesh. Mixed bag on 160Mhz/DFS, some people have been fine, some haven't, for me the channel kept changing, dropping both 160Mhz and DFS. But since rolling back, it's been stable. Some people have reported problems with adding a mesh node, but for me adding them either via the iPhone app or GUI have been problem free. My issue with the 5Ghz radio not coming up after a reboot, the router/node will scan for RADAR interference if DFS is enabled before the radio turns on. Monitoring the Wireless log, this takes about a minute or so. After 5 minutes and the 5Ghz radio not turning on, even toggling the radio off/on in the GUI, I rebooted the AX86 mesh node to bring it back.

Long story short, if it works for you, great!
If not, you got options...

Just for fun and as a possible seconday backup, I was playing around with Time Machine backups on the GT-AX6000. Is it working for anyone else? I'm getting the "There was a problem connecting to the server - The version of the server you are trying to connect to is not supported" error. I believe this was an issue previously that was fixed but not sure if it's the same issue this time.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/time-machine-does-not-work-in-386-4.77134/

I have configured the wifi guest session on my ax88u; but after 1 day all the ioT devices were disconnected, I had to turn off and on the guest session so that they will connect again.

My info may be outdated today, but that exact setup is what made me get rid of the RT-AX58U a few years ago.

Using the RT-AX86U as the main router only made the network (overall) worse, when using the RT-AX58U too.

A much better match is the RT-AX68U instead.

And a wired backhaul is always recommended (and will transform your network), regardless of which model you use as an AiMesh node.

So, I guess I might sell the AX58U, damn I should have investigated this a bit more before buying, I guess.