What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 388.1 is now available for all supported Wifi 6 models

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thats quite bad something causing your router to be unstable hardware/software failure
This has been a known issue for many months for many many people who upgraded to 386.7_2 it manifests as random reboots that leave no system log as to what happened unless you output the log to a server where it shows a kernel panic crashes the router and restarts.

Hi, i dont know what happen now, but yestarday a change the speed of internet from 600mb to 1gb, but the router asus dont go more then 600mb even some times stay at 420mb. But if i change the router from the router of my ISP this work at 930mb up/down. I dont dont have idea what can be. Any help?.

P.D: Sorry for my bad english.

Hi, i dont know what happen now, but yestarday a change the speed of internet from 600mb to 1gb, but the router asus dont go more then 600mb even some times stay at 420mb. But if i change the router from the router of my ISP this work at 930mb up/down. I dont dont have idea what can be. Any help?.

P.D: Sorry for my bad english.
Reconfigure QoS for the new speed.

Reconfigure QoS for the new speed.
If you are already replying regards this matter.

Why would someone manually congifure QoS for the internet plan they got?
And if there is a specific reason, how would you properly configure a QoS for 1000/100Mbps?
Tried several times to properly put QoS but it would cut my speeds in 50% , even if I put 10% extra on the QoS.
I got an AX88U router.

Thank you for the hard work you put on this project

You don't need QOS for gig speeds. Turn it off.
It is turned off for about 2y (1 week in the beginning had it on and it just made everything messier).
In which scenarios would you turn on QoS, which speeds?

It is turned off for about 2y (1 week in the beginning had it on and it just made everything messier).

I have never used QoS at any speed it don't think it works very well and not worth the trouble. But that's me but certainly with gig speeds it's not needed.

I've seen comments that say anything over 300 mbs probably doesn't benefit from QoS a number of times over the years.

Thx to everyone, but its not a QoS. Its a vpn Wireguard, was enable and disable the hw acceleration. Now its ok, thx!.

Why would someone manually congifure QoS for the internet plan they got?
To better evaluate how much bandwidth to reserve to each queues, the router needs to know your maximum upload and download speeds. It also allows to reserve some buffer to prevent latency increases from bufferbloat occuring when you fully saturate your ISP link, by setting max rates about 5-10% below the max link rate your ISP is providing.

And if there is a specific reason, how would you properly configure a QoS for 1000/100Mbps?
You most likely don't need QoS for 1 Gbps speed at home, because the remote servers you connect to will very rarely be able to saturate such a fast connection, leaving plenty of bandwidth for other simultaneous connections. I disabled Adaptive QoS after upgrading to 1 Gbps FTTH here.

It might only make sense in a business environment where you may have 20 employees with 20 VoIP phones.

Tried several times to properly put QoS but it would cut my speeds in 50% , even if I put 10% extra on the QoS.
You need to use Adaptive QoS at those speeds, because the CPU cannot handle 1 Gbps of NAT trafic without NAT acceleration. Traditional QoS disables NAT acceleration so it can get full control over the trafic. Adaptive QoS does not because it's implemented as a kernel module, and interfaces with Broadcom's API.

Does anyone here have an estimate of the frequency of updates for the 388 branch? I saw that ASUS had new versions (later GPL than ASUS Merlin 388.1) since early January. :)

To better evaluate how much bandwidth to reserve to each queues, the router needs to know your maximum upload and download speeds. It also allows to reserve some buffer to prevent latency increases from bufferbloat occuring when you fully saturate your ISP link, by setting max rates about 5-10% below the max link rate your ISP is providing.

You most likely don't need QoS for 1 Gbps speed at home, because the remote servers you connect to will very rarely be able to saturate such a fast connection, leaving plenty of bandwidth for other simultaneous connections. I disabled Adaptive QoS after upgrading to 1 Gbps FTTH here.

It might only make sense in a business environment where you may have 20 employees with 20 VoIP phones.

You need to use Adaptive QoS at those speeds, because the CPU cannot handle 1 Gbps of NAT trafic without NAT acceleration. Traditional QoS disables NAT acceleration so it can get full control over the trafic. Adaptive QoS does not because it's implemented as a kernel module, and interfaces with Broadcom's API.

One great answer like you always do, and I'm always happy to learn from your experience.
For now, because no NAS server is my network or such thing, I will leave it that way.
When I would transfer the content of my server back home, I would certainly use Adaptive QOS like you suggest and see how it operates.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and insights regards! :)
So glad to be part of this community and contribute my part to this project :D

I read that Merlin will not have any new GPL until some time next month.

Hi, RMerlin, is there anything special to do to build for ax86u-pro?

Seems I have to install libisl-dev:i386 and create link libisl.so.x.x.x to libisl.so.15, and create link for libmpc.so too.
And, likely I have to install other version of automake, but I'm not sure which one(I have 1.11, 1.15 and 1.16 installed).
But I still getting errors.

I'm moving to ipset for geoip now, so just asking.

You need to use Adaptive QoS at those speeds, because the CPU cannot handle 1 Gbps of NAT traffic without NAT acceleration. Traditional QoS disables NAT acceleration so it can get full control over the traffic. Adaptive QoS does not because it's implemented as a kernel module, and interfaces with Broadcom's API.

Do you know how the Broadcom chip then handles flow prioritization? It is interesting the things that are moving into hardware.

I read that Merlin will not have any new GPL until some time next month.
Yes, I've read that a new GPL isn't available until some time in February.

Do you know how the Broadcom chip then handles flow prioritization? It is interesting the things that are moving into hardware.
No, it's all confidential.

Hi, RMerlin, is there anything special to do to build for ax86u-pro?
No, nothing special versus any of the other models.

Hi!

Is it planned to support the "Guest Network Pro" mode in models lower than the AX86U Pro?
And what is the reason for such an exclusive right to have this function in models with a new chip ?