What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 388.1 is now available for all supported Wifi 6 models

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi!

Is it planned to support the "Guest Network Pro" mode in models lower than the AX86U Pro?
And what is the reason for such an exclusive right to have this function in models with a new chip ?

It appears to be features we already have in Stock and some from Merlin in a very nicely organized faction. The description is at this link:

As all of this is already possible, it sounds like it's just a matter of time till we see it on other routers. There may be limits imposed by Asus based on marketing choices

Is it planned to support the "Guest Network Pro" mode in models lower than the AX86U Pro?
No, as this feature will be part of the new 3.0.0.6 code base, which won't be available on previous platforms.

People who had wifi issues on their RT-AX86U, can you see if this test image of the stock firmware resolves the issues? It contains a fix related to wifi:

Make a backup of your settings before if you intend to switch back and forth between this stock firmware and my firmware, so you can easily revert back afterward.

People who had wifi issues on their RT-AX86U, can you see if this test image of the stock firmware resolves the issues? It contains a fix related to wifi:

Make a backup of your settings before if you intend to switch back and forth between this stock firmware and my firmware, so you can easily revert back afterward.
Thanks, I have loaded it on my AiMesh nodes and am resetting them now. I will report back in due course.

UPDATE: I immediately note that the connectivity warnings which showed previously after 388 no longer display with my nodes using wired backhaul

Last edited:
UPDATE: I immediately note that the connectivity warnings which showed previously after 388 no longer display with my nodes using wired backhaul
I don't think that have anything doing with wifi problem.

Thanks, I have loaded it on my AiMesh nodes and and resetting them now. I will report back in due course.

There might be other fixes since this is newer code, however the main test point for this build is to confirm that it does resolve wifi connectivity issues.

There might be other fixes since this is newer code, however the main test point for this build is to confirm that it does resolve wifi connectivity issues.
I have two (2) RT-AX86U (Asus 388_22068) AiMesh nodes connected to GT-AX6000 primary router (Merlin 388.2_alpha1). I was experiencing frequent guest network 1 (2.4 GHz IoT devices) drop. I will continue to monitor, but I have not seen a single issue since updating the RT-AX86U nodes to Asus 388_22484-test a couple of hours ago — I will continue to monitor. FYI, one RT-AX86U is 5 GHz/160 MHz wifi backhaul, and the other is 2.5 GHz wired backhaul.

The stock shipping firmware is located normally on the box and the tag that is on the router.
Thanks, unfortunately it’s not available anywhere! The ASUS website shows the initial release as 22333 despite the fact that mine shipped with an earlier version and I was prompted to “upgrade” to the launch version, which obviously makes sense to no one ever. So unless they decide to post that apocryphal earlier release these things will have to go back. More inscrutable moves from ASUS, go figure :/

Thanks, unfortunately it’s not available anywhere! The ASUS website shows the initial release as 22333 despite the fact that mine shipped with an earlier version and I was prompted to “upgrade” to the launch version, which obviously makes sense to no one ever. So unless they decide to post that apocryphal earlier release these things will have to go back. More inscrutable moves from ASUS, go figure :/
My 2020 model says 3.0.0.4.384 as well as MAC, Serial and HW Ver and country of production.

The label covers some of the screws that hold the shell together. Those screws have tamper seals on them.

Here is an example in the Buy/Sell/Trade section, see the PICTURE showing the bottom:

Last edited:
So far my WiFi is remaining stable on my nodes. I will continue to monitor over the next few days

Will this also work for the AX86S ?

Just wanted to pop in and say I was having issues with WAN dropping out on 388.1 all of a sudden on my AX86U (for both wireless and wired, could only access panel that would say connected but no actual internet for any other devices). Tried multiple full resets and rolling back to 386.7 to no avail. It might be linked to activating DDNS, although I had used it fine for a long while with same setup. I ultimately had to switch back to the factory image and the issues are gone.

Features used: PPoE login, simple port forwarding, DDNS with ASUS domain. No nodes. No other features enabled. It had been running fine for months before now. Really strange that full resets weren't doing the trick, but a factory image did. I wasn't using any of the extra Merlin functionality so I'll be sticking with the factory image for now - but found it odd and wanted to share. Kudos for the work you put into this project!

Люди, у которых были проблемы с Wi-Fi на их RT-AX86U, можете ли вы посмотреть, устраняет ли этот тестовый образ стандартной прошивки проблемы? Он содержит исправление, связанное с wifi:

Сделайте резервную копию своих настроек перед тем, как переключаться между этой стандартной прошивкой и моей прошивкой, чтобы потом можно было легко вернуться назад.
One less problem :)

1675233905182.png

No, as this feature will be part of the new 3.0.0.6 code base, which won't be available on previous platforms.

Very sad. Will have to continue to use Yazi

Were you having connectivity issues with 388.1?
Yes on my RT-AX86U nodes (the RT-AX88U main router was fine) with both your 388.1 firmware and also the most recent stock release 3.0.0.4.388.22068. I had 2.4Ghz IoT devices wouldn't use the AX86Us but were happy on the AX88U, however the worst issue was devices were getting disconnected frequently and bouncing between nodes.

Having been running for a number of hours it seems to be much better as I haven't seen any issues.

AX88/388.1: FYI, been rebooting nightly to keep 388.1 running, but noticed lately that every time I reboot I lose the guest network.

Not having wifi issues but this new firmware has a major memory leak. Flashed a clean install and went from 70% used to 89% used in just 12 hours. I made no changes what so ever in that 12 hours. I expect a crash later today.

Not having wifi issues but this new firmware has a major memory leak.
This is a test firmware strictly meant to test a wireless fix, and nothing else.